PDA

View Full Version : Bay City Blackcat Logo Story

Blackcat1954
09-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Published September 23, 2009
From The Bay City Tribune

Bay City school board trustees exchanged heated words in a discussion concerning the new Blackcat logo during their regular meeting at the central administration building Monday, Sept. 21.

The trustees took sides on the issue of the new Blackcat logo in a half-hour discussion that began with Trustee Andrew Smith expressing his opposition to the logo.

"I don't think that the logo protects the tradition," said Smith.

"I can look at the logo and I can't determine if it's a lion, a tiger, a cougar, a leopard - I don't know."

According to Smith, even though there may be 11 different versions of the old Blackcat emblem, it was always recognizable.

"I've been a Blackcat and a Hilliard Panther all my life," he said.

"My kids were Blackcats. And, yes, it's near and dear to my heart because I don't think it represents who we are."

Robert Blackmon, Bay City ISD athletic director, and Greg Horn, Bay City High School girls' athletic coordinator were both present for the meeting.

Smith said he was disappointed that Blackmon was at the meeting.

"I have no idea why the athletic director is here tonight and I really don't want to get him in the middle of this because I think it is wrong," said Smith.

"I think it is a decision that we, as elected officials, need to make and I don't think he needs to be called into the middle of this."

Trustee Chris Crummett said he hadn't heard any complaints about the new logo from citizens.

"I have not had one single complaint to me about the new logo," he said.

"I see a lot of people at the football games wearing the new logo."

Crummett argued that the decision concerning a logo, as opposed to the school's mascot, wasnt the school board's to make.

"The school board's function is policy, budget and the superintendent," he said.

"My concern is that it is not the power of the school board to change the decision of either the (athletic director) or the superintendent when it doesn't deal with policy."

Crummett said he felt that changing the logo would become a matter of budget because he was worried that the process of removing the emblem from district vehicles would be costly.

"Another thing is, the (athletic director) came up with the logo along with the approval of the superintendent," he said.

"I support them."

Paul Johnson, Bay City ISD board of trustees president, and Smith said the emblems displayed on the district vehicles were stickers and could be easily removed.

Johnson shared Smith's disapproval of the new logo, saying it was unrecognizable and had garnered complaints from retired coaches and senior citizens.

When the decision to modernize the logo was made, Johnson pointed out that the board of trustees was not notified.

"I've made some phone calls this week and I can't find anywhere that anyone has come in and decided to change the logo without talking to the school board," he said.

Trustees Randy Volkmer and Eva Rutherford agreed that the decision to change the logo should have been brought to the board for discussion.

Crummett said that because there is no policy that guides the process of changing the logo, the trustees' discussion of an administrators decision, in his opinion, was an attempt at micromanaging.

"If we want to have the logo changed then we need to write a policy," said Crummett.

"Until the policy is done, if the superintendent, the athletic director or whoever made the decision, I think us having this on (the agenda) right now is basically saying micromanagement."

Trustee Jim Humphries said the change was made and the board of trustees didnt have a policy in place to keep it from being changed.

"I think maybe we need to establish a policy for the future," he said.

"I don't think we, as a board, need to be the ones to do that anyway."

"Because there has been a huge outcry in the community, I think the community should be involved in getting to that point," Humphries said.

Johnson left the boardroom to make a phone call to the district's attorney during the discussion.

He said the attorney advised them not to create a new policy regarding an athletic logo change.

The trustees voted, unanimously, to keep the new logo for the remainder of the year and change it back to the old logo next year.

In other BCISD news, trustees:

honored Carolyn Jernigan, Linda Leissner, Enrique Garay and Terry Blackmon during the celebration of excellence;

were entertained by Carla Davis' first period language arts class from McAllister Intermediate School as they presented a musical version of the spotlight on their school;

approved an interlocal agreement with the City of Bay City for the construction of a competition softball facility;

entered an owner agent services agreement with Vireo Performance Systems L.L.C. to investigate the cause of the two-inch vertical rise in the foundation of the Bay City High School building facility.

FbCoachB40
09-23-2009, 08:42 AM
This is why i do not want to be on any School Board!! What senseless CRAP!!

Rabbit'93
09-23-2009, 08:53 AM
got a pic of the new logo?

95mustang
09-23-2009, 09:16 AM
There must not be much going on in their school district right now. I have always been under the impression that a school board is there to ensure policies are in place to teach the children and the future of this great nation. Apparently thats not the case though. Just mundane BS.

Blackcat1954
09-23-2009, 09:20 AM
yes i have the logo but don't know how to load it or post it

can someone tell me how

95mustang
09-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Blackcat1954
[B]Published September 23, 2009
From The Bay City Tribune

According to Smith, even though there may be 11 different versions of the old Blackcat emblem, it was always recognizable.
[B]

Apparently changing the logo is common place. Why is this time any different?

wedo
09-23-2009, 10:01 AM
To me it looks like the K-State wildcat's logo, but yellow on a blue helmet.

Blackcat1954
09-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Thats the old one
check this website

http://www.bcblackcats.net/education/district/district.php?sectionid=1

SHSBulldog00
09-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Looks like Angleton's Logo only different colors. But I don't see anything that bad about it.

BreckTxLonghorn
09-23-2009, 11:34 AM
What was the old one then?

pirate4state
09-23-2009, 11:39 AM
oh, for the love of God! Absolutely ridiculous, but I can see something like this happening here in Sinton if anyone tried to change our logo. LMAO :doh: :speech:

44INAROW
09-23-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't see the big deal - it's a cat and it's black? What's the big deal.:doh: Rita - I hear ya though - some folks don't like change :p - It's usually the ones sitting on their butts not contributing one ounce of time to anything that B&M the most :eek:

BreckTxLonghorn
09-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I don't see the big deal - it's a cat and it's black? What's the big deal.:doh: Rita - I hear ya though - some folks don't like change :p - It's usually the ones sitting on their butts not contributing one ounce of time to anything that B&M the most :eek:

But if we had a B&M board, they'd have an outlet for their anger!!!

Just saying...:)

95mustang
09-23-2009, 01:40 PM
The new one is better. I do have one question though. Why are they the Blackcats when the logo or the uniform isn't black?

Old Dog
09-23-2009, 01:49 PM
This kind of crap goes on most everywhere. Don't yall recall when it became fashionable for black or gray to become the neutral color on many uniforms? And people getting stirred up about the shade or hue of their primary color. Sometimes the changes are at the hands of new ADs or HDs and partly as a marketing device by the uniform manufacturers. I recall several years ago when the AD decided to use something other than Kelly Green at Burnet. He got pointed in the right direction real fast. But, most of the time the community doesn't see the "new" uniforms until the first home game and by then it's too late.

shamu85
09-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
The new one is better. I do have one question though. Why are they the Blackcats when the logo or the uniform isn't black?

I used to ask that and got some crazy story about how the colors were picked before the mascot. I have always thought it was the dumbest thing to have your mascot be a Blackcat or Black Cat, whichever, and your colors be blue and gold. Just like all the goofy Yellowjackets or Yellow Jackets teams that are orange. Rockwall even calls themselves the angry orange. How stupid is that?

scrub c
09-23-2009, 07:21 PM
The old logo... from what I remember was either a paw print with BC in it, or state of Texas with B in top left corner and C on lower right...

Or maybe not... heck I dont know... somebody help me out here.

Gobbla2001
09-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Gunna make a guess:

The students, parents and community members aren't as worried about that logo right now as much as they are about their team getting their asses kicked...

this is an issue that needs to be discussed after the season... district hasn't started yet, still time to turn things around..

Stop bringing up distractcing crap while your boys are still trying to make the playoffs...

On a side note, Cuero has the same Uni's they had back in the 70s.... seriously, a player actually found a hit of acid stuffed behind a "Vote For Nixon" button pinned to the inside of his pants...

Gobbler Fan
09-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Ha Ha :clap: