PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done a lot of driving in PA??

Matthew328
09-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Next weekend I'm taking a road trip up to Baltimore to catch and Orioles game and then Sunday morning driving from Baltimore to Pittsburgh for the Steelers-Chargers Sunday night game.

I'm driving I-70/Pennsylvania Turnpike....anything I need to look out for? Any good spots to eat, etc....

Ranger Mom
09-22-2009, 03:31 PM
You might wanna make sure their dealerships are open on weekends in case you break down again!!!:D

Matthew328
09-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Being stuck in Odessa sucked!!!! The only positive was that I discovered the greatness of Texas Steak Express

Texas Cougar
09-22-2009, 04:11 PM
It is a scenic drive. The tolls are pretty expensive so be prepared. It is not easy to get on and off the turnpike, but there are huge rest areas with fast food restaurants.... Oh and do not speed. I got 2 tickets in one day making that drive. Both less than 5 miles over speed limit.

Ranger Mom
09-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Being stuck in Odessa sucked!!!! The only positive was that I discovered the greatness of Texas Steak Express

What the heck is that???

Odessa is like a foreign country to me....I NEVER go there.

Even if I go to Ratliff, I'm still not in town!!!

slpybear the bullfan
09-22-2009, 04:43 PM
If it was me, there would be no way I would make this trip without stopping in Gettysburg, PA and going to the battlefield. If you are a Civil War buff it is a must. If you are not, still a super good visit.

Yeah, the toll aspect of it will milk your wallet dry. I assume you are renting a car... if you do, you MIGHT get a good deal with your rental company on PA's version of FastPass... read the fine print and see what the cost works out to.

The rest stops are much bigger than typical and do have fast food in them.

Gobbla2001
09-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Drove to downtown Philly from Willmington, DE... drove to Willmington from the airport in Baltimore...

Then drove from Willmington to Valley Forge, PA... Then from Willmington to Hershey, PA... went through Amish country... Checked out Bird In Hand, Blue Ball, Virginville and Intercourse, PA...

don't remember a damn thing about driving up there, I was turned around the whole time...

westtxfballfan
09-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Gettysburg is very cool if you have the time to detour up there. That is a nice area to drive on the Maryland end of the trip. Never been too far west in Pennsylvania.

In Baltimore, they have the National Aquarium in their harbor. A bit pricey, but a cool stop if you have the time and about $30 per adult. Also lots of good places to eat there at the harbor, and not too far from the ballpark if I remember correctly.

http://www.aqua.org/

On I-70, I think you pass within a couple of miles of Shanksville, PA when you get to Somerset county, which is the site of the United 93 crash. But I don't think they have their memorial up yet.

Gobbla2001
09-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by westtxfballfan

In Baltimore, they have the National Aquarium in their harbor

Bleh, you seen one Aquarium you've seen 'em all... all that matters is there was a Cracker Barrell on our to Willmington from the airport... then again, you've eaten at one Cracker Barrell, you've eaten at all of 'em, but I'm gunna try to eat at every one of them before I die...

so far I've eaten at the ones in San Marcos, Weatherford, somewhere else in Texas I can't remember where, somewhere in Minnesota I forget, Baltimore, MA (twice), Des Moines, IA, man I'm missing one, somewhere in Oklahoma maybe?

bleh whatever I'm hungry bye

navscanmaster
09-22-2009, 05:53 PM
The roads are okay so long as you are on the interstates or turnpikes. Not as good as Texas' overall.

p.s. If you laughed when I said Texas' roads are superior, do some out of state driving. Texas' roads are great compared to most of the rest of the nation. Florida may have us beat, but that is it from what I have seen.

Old Green
09-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Texas Cougar
It is a scenic drive. The tolls are pretty expensive so be prepared. It is not easy to get on and off the turnpike, but there are huge rest areas with fast food restaurants.... Oh and do not speed. I got 2 tickets in one day making that drive. Both less than 5 miles over speed limit. Just as he said. Spent 10 weeks around the Philadelphia area working in the late 80's. Watch your p's & q's.

Matthew328
09-22-2009, 07:00 PM
tolls were estimated at 8 bucks, enterting the turnpike at Breezeway and exiting on the cut off to 76....might stop in Somerset...

coach
09-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Next weekend I'm taking a road trip up to Baltimore to catch and Orioles game and then Sunday morning driving from Baltimore to Pittsburgh for the Steelers-Chargers Sunday night game.

I'm driving I-70/Pennsylvania Turnpike....anything I need to look out for? Any good spots to eat, etc....

haveyou ever been to camdem yards before?

Matthew328
09-22-2009, 08:03 PM
never been and can't wait!

Antec
09-22-2009, 08:31 PM
They will be opening a Cracker Barrel in Rosenberg Off Hwy 59 soon.

Should be open before end of the year. Everybody is excited about it, Im sure they will make it in that area

Ate at one in Katy Off I 10, Nashville and one other.

Wife loves it-

zeeman
09-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
The roads are okay so long as you are on the interstates or turnpikes. Not as good as Texas' overall.

p.s. If you laughed when I said Texas' roads are superior, do some out of state driving. Texas' roads are great compared to most of the rest of the nation. Florida may have us beat, but that is it from what I have seen.

Pennsylvania's best roads are comparable to a good Texas farm road....'nough said.

Rocket
09-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
What the heck is that???

Odessa is like a foreign country to me....I NEVER go there.

Even if I go to Ratliff, I'm still not in town!!!

Stuck up, Midland people...