PDA

View Full Version : The Economy

Phil C
09-22-2009, 01:57 PM
I know everyone is probably not happy with the way the economy is going. There are signs when it is going well and when it isn't. Of course even economists can't always predict how it will go or even what degree it will be.

Today a lady got a package and I asked if it was delivered timely and she said yes. That means that the economy is still not recovered yet. When deliveries are late that is a good thing because it indicates that there is a backlog of orders and they are selling things and are behind in getting orders to us because of the backlog. It is a somewhat contradiction but that is actually good and indicates the economy is going well.

Phil C
09-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Another way to see how the economy is doing is to just call your local city hall municipal court or county justice of the peace and ask them how fine collections are going. If they are fairly current and collections are good then that is a sign the economy is going well. If they are behind in collections and people are slow to pay that is a sign that income is down and the economy is not doing too well.

Old Dog
09-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the Eco lesson Phil, I had never considered slow package delivery as an ecomonic indicator.......pretty interesting.

One of the indicators that I deal with is the insecurity that our famers and ranchers are facing. Never mind the drought, we are just in troubled ag times. AND our own EPA is working it's little tail off to make it harder and harder to make a living on the farm. Of course there are some things our ag community needs to address, but we are spoiled to a food surplus in this country, and that is going to change sooner than you think. The day is coming that some of your favorite items won't be on the shelf at the local graocery store while others will be overpriced. Mark it down in your little memory bank.....it's gona happen...

BreckTxLonghorn
09-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Phil, couldn't you say that a delivery on time means the economy is doing well because there are so many orders the delivery company can hire extra help to ensure timely delivery? And if it's late the economy is bad because the company is cash strapped and can't afford enough workers?