PDA

View Full Version : How do you "struggle"

Old Tiger
09-20-2009, 09:16 AM
If the only time you trailed a game was at the beginning of the game and it was only by 3 points?

BobcatBenny
09-20-2009, 09:44 AM
You have a home game ... you can't score and offensive touch down against a notoriously bad defensive program. Then you throw 2 interceptions. Even with the other team commmiting a crippling amount of penalties, the defense still has to hand you two late turnovers to save the game. Then when you should seal the game late with a TD, you can only muster a field goal.

Also, when drives were really really important, you find some other guy is taking the snaps.

But ... I am not sure I would call that a "struggle" either ...

... probably more of a "flounder". ;)

Bullaholic
09-20-2009, 09:51 AM
If you're talking about Tech---they are always going to be talked about as "struggling" anytime they are not ahead. They are a team who embraces the philosophy of striking quick and often---so much so that the other team cannot keep pace on the scoreboard eventually. My own team, the Bulls, have followed this offensive philosophy for many years----some good, others not so good---but like Tech, never, ever boring.

BobcatBenny
09-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
If you're talking about Tech---they are always going to be talked about as "struggling" anytime they are not ahead. They are a team who embraces the philosophy of striking quick and often---so much so that the other team cannot keep pace on the scoreboard eventually. My own team, the Bulls, have followed this offensive philosophy for many years----some good, others not so good---but like Tech, never, ever boring.
He was referring to McCoy. The news articles stated "McCoy struggled, but Texas won anyways." It was the media's way of makin a case by saying, "McCoy must not be the best player, because his team CAN win without him." It is just those lousy Tebow lovers working the opinion polls for the Heisman.

Unfortunately, McCoy was not the best player last night. Don't get me wrong, he is still great ... but just perhaps not ...

... Vince Young!?! :confused:

Old Tiger
09-20-2009, 10:30 AM
I was referring to Texas as a team.

pirate4state
09-20-2009, 10:35 AM
If you can't see that they struggled some you must have had too much to drink! :doh:

BobcatBenny
09-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
I was referring to Texas as a team.

I thought you were referring to headlines like this. Sorry for the confusion.

McCoy not sharp, but Texas avenges Tech loss (http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/gameTrax?gameId=200909190083)

No. 2 Texas puts away Texas Tech
Texas fans will call it revenge. The Longhorns were more likely to describe it as relief. Colt McCoy threw a 3-yard touchdown pass to Dan Buckner in the fourth quarter that gave the Longhorns some room and No. 2 Texas beat feisty Texas Tech and their prolific new passer 34-24 Saturday night. The pass to Buckner with nine minutes left put Texas ahead 31-17, but it was an otherwise shaky outing for last season's runner-up for the Heisman Trophy.

charlesrixey
09-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
If you can't see that they struggled some you must have had too much to drink! :doh:
exactly!

the good news is that they struggled mightily and still beat a pretty good tech team

tells me Longhorns are a pretty darn good team-just hope they get it back on track

LH Panther Mom
09-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:spitlol: :spitlol: :1popcorn: Surely not! :eek:

Z-RO
09-20-2009, 12:12 PM
1 Colt was recovering from having the flu
2 Tech impressed me, wouldnt suprise me if they didnt beat Oklahoma as well.

cameron91
09-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Greg Davis..should his old ways. nuff said.:D ..if he keep calling plays like he did against tech , tu lose at 3 games this year.:hand:

Daddy D 11
09-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Greg Davis definitely went back to the Greg Davis of old.

But...
Texas trailed for the first 8 minutes of the game and that's it. That's not struggling when you gain the lead and never give it back for the remaining 52 minutes.

Tech had THREE points in the first half.

Handed UT 2 turnovers? Potts crapped his paints in the loud north endzone and flung an interception. Then got clobbered by Kindle and fumbled. That's called Muschamp dialing up pressure and forcing quick decisions from Potts.

I mean what's a team gotta do? Texas beat a good Tech that is just as good as last year. Potts is no worse than Harrell and all the receivers are just as good as last years group.

Yes Colt threw two interceptions, but both weren't because of Texas Tech doing anything. The second one was just a mess up by Malcolm Williams. The first was just a bad pass on McCoys part.

And regarding the Wildcat with Chiles..IF Tech had an athlete half as good as Chiles than you can bet your bottom dollar Leach would run some sort of offense like that too. I didn't know that Greg Davis's decisions to give the Tech defense some different looks meant McCoy struggled?