4. Mexia
5. Rockdale
6. West Orange-Stark
7. Caldwell
8. Bridge City
9. Brownsboro
10. Cleveland

Who Dropped Out: Palestine and Waco La Vega

*Notes - WO-S and Cleveland drop as they lose. Brownsboro and Bridge City enter the top 10.

JasperDog94
09-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Jasper just beat WOS by 10 and they're not in the top 10 and WOS is #6? :confused:

Pudlugger
09-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Jasper just beat WOS by 10 and they're not in the top 10 and WOS is #6? :confused:

Yeah, what's up with that?

BuckeyeNut
09-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Yeah, what's up with that?

Its nuts man, don't matter how good you are its about how many posters your team has.

Move The Chains
09-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by R3Editor
1. Gilmer
2. Mexia
3. Navasota
4. Carthage
5. Rockdale
6. West Orange-Stark
7. Jasper
8. Bridge City
9. Palestine
10. Cleveland
There's my opinion. I realize that Jasper beat WO-S, but IMO, WO-S is still likely to do more damage.

HEMOTOXIC
09-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Move The Chains
There's my opinion. I realize that Jasper beat WO-S, but IMO, WO-S is still likely to do more damage.

I don't believe that Mexia is as good as you may think. Navasota clobbered them in a scrimmage 4-1. Yes, it was a scrimmage. But, it is what it is.

Buckeye80
09-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Center is gonna have a lot of respect given to them before the year is out. They are a tremendous sleeper this year.
1. Gilmer
2. Navasota
3. Carthage
4. Rockdale
5. Mexia
6. Jasper
7. Caldwell
8. West Orange-Stark
9. Center
10. Cleveland

Move The Chains
09-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
I don't believe that Mexia is as good as you may think. Navasota clobbered them in a scrimmage 4-1. Yes, it was a scrimmage. But, it is what it is. Hmmm. I had no idea. I may have to rethink that.

I did get to see Navasota last night, and to me... the Rattlers looked pretty darn good, so 4-1 in a scrimmage, eh?

I may switch them in my poll. I still like the showings Mexia has had against some pretty good teams. I also really like their showing against Gilmer last year.

Buckeye80
09-19-2009, 02:44 PM
I also really like their showing against Gilmer last year.

And Doug Gentry was a sophomore!:eek:

Move The Chains
09-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
And Doug Gentry was a sophomore!:eek: Yeah, and they have Trae Davis back too, right?

Buckeye80
09-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Yeah, and they have Trae Davis back too, right?

Yep! So Navasota beating them 4-1 in the scrimmage should tell you more about how talented the Snakes are than about Mexia being overrated!

Move The Chains
09-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Yeah, Navasota is pretty salty. IMHO, Navasota isn't even as good as they were last year.... right now. (I saw Navasota beat Sealy 35-0 last year)

Their offense isn't as dynamic, but I think they're Defense is better. I'm not sure how too grade them. They beat a pretty dang good Bellville team by 10. They're for real, I'm just not sure exactly how good they can be come playoff time.

Mexia..... something tells me they had Davis or Gentry missing in that scrimmage to lose 4-1. :thinking:

Buckeye80
09-19-2009, 02:57 PM

Mexia..... something tells me they had Davis or Gentry missing in that scrimmage to lose 4-1. :thinking:

I really feel like Mexia is a two pony show this year rather than a potential perennial power, but those are a couple of nice ponies to have in the stable!:D

big daddy russ
09-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Center looks solid. Played Nac tough.

Anyone know anything about Brownsboro?

Palestine, Robinson, and Tatum look like they have deceptive records.

Buckeye80
09-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

Tatum got beat by a weak Atlanta team last night giving up 49 points to a team that looked abysmal offensively against Gilmer in a scrimmage. Tatum has a lot of athletes, but is still very young. I think they take 2nd in our "extremely weak" district and then will get dismantled probably by Carthage in bi-district.

Old Cardinal
09-19-2009, 03:10 PM
#1 Gilmer
#2 Jasper
#3 Carthage

Just draw them out of a hat for the remainder..

Buckeye80
09-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
#1 Gilmer
#2 Jasper
#3 Carthage

Just draw them out of a hat for the remainder..

So Jasper takes out Carthage for the District 18 title??:thinking:

Old Cardinal
09-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Yep, I give Jasper a 75-25 percent chance of making it happen.........

Buckeye80
09-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Yep, I give Jasper a 75-25 percent chance of making it happen.........

Carthage beats Jasper, Jasper beats Center, and Center beats Carthage. 3-way tie.

j_dog
09-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Black Flag
Its nuts man, don't matter how good you are its about how many posters your team has.
glad you explained that! :) Jasper played #1 Gilmer essentially even for a half in their new coach's debut, defeated 4th ranked 2a Kirbyville by 9 (WOS only beat them by 1), and defeated 3rd ranked WOS by 10. But WOS has more "potential" so they are ranked and Jasper is not?

I guess Jasper has just been "lucky" to hang with the big boys for awhile, but soon the world will right itself and the Dogs will be back on the bottom. :(

Well, that may be true about Jasper, but watch out for Center. They have been laying the wood to some folks. :clap:

WOS87
09-19-2009, 05:07 PM
I've been working on getting my yearly rating system back up and operational... Haven't compiled it statewide but here's what I crunched out today for Region III:

1. 49.04 Gilmer
2. 42.39 Navasota
3. 41.29 Caldwell
4. 32.94 Palestine
5. 30.16 Mexia
6. 28.64 Jasper
7. 24.17 West Orange-Stark
8. 20.89 Carthage
9. 20.62 Cleveland
10. 17.30 Waco La Vega

j_dog
09-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Center is gonna have a lot of respect given to them before the year is out. They are a tremendous sleeper this year.
1. Gilmer
2. Navasota
3. Carthage
4. Rockdale
5. Mexia
6. Jasper
7. Caldwell
8. West Orange-Stark
9. Center
10. Cleveland
Now this is a ranking I can believe in. :)

lulu
09-19-2009, 05:31 PM
1. Gilmer
2. Navasota
3. Carthage
4. Rockdale
5. Mexia
6. Jasper
7. Caldwell
8. West Orange-Stark
9. Center
10. Cleveland

They are good B80 but not close to the others on here IMO.
They play tough and mean. Could fool me but I witnessed that team last night...they have a way to go. They are not that BAD..we just played real bad. Lots of potential.

WOS1
09-19-2009, 05:45 PM
WOS and Bridge City have no business in this top 10. I think Jasper is definitely deserving as they continue to improve from week 0.

HEMOTOXIC
09-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Yep! So Navasota beating them 4-1 in the scrimmage should tell you more about how talented the Snakes are than about Mexia being overrated!

It was just a scrimmage and Im sure just like the Rattlers, Mexia has gotten better. I would def. have them in the top 5.

coachc45
09-20-2009, 12:42 AM

Yeah because Brownsboro has soooo many posters on here.

easttexas3a
09-20-2009, 12:53 AM
There are some good darkhorses out there. Watch out for Palestine, Center, and Brownsboro. All might be very good playoff teams.

Pball
09-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Palestine got beat last week by undefeated 4a Jacksonville in overtime. They have a solid team this year and I predict will make a playoff run. Palestine's preseason schedule is against all 4a and very good 3a teams (Van & Navasota). I notice some teams seem to schedule 2a and weak 3a teams. What do you think is best, hard preseason schedule or weak preseason schedule? I guess we will find out when district starts.

OldBison75
09-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Just to clarify, Navasota beat Mexia in the scrimmage by an overall score of 4-1, but the first teams were only like 2-1. And all of the players were playing most of the time. It was a scrimmage so alot of players were playing in and out and continuity was not being maintained for either team.

Mexia is a very good team as is Palestine. Both will be playoff factors and surprise some teams. As for Navasota, they look very good right now but lack being consistent for four quarters. The offense may not be a explosively quick strike as last year, but the weapons they have are very good and the load is spread out among several players. There are two very good running backs that have very different styles. The QB is very good and has outstanding field presence and makes very few mistakes. The receivers are all very talented and good size and speed. The real improvement in this team is the defense. They tackle better than last year and have more speed and killer instinct. They bend some, but seldom breakdown. They seldom give up too many big plays (over 20 yard gains).

Because of the improved defense and expanded pool of offensive weapons, this team can be much better than last year if they keep improving and develope that consistency foor four quarters in a game.

pirate4state
09-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Its nuts man, don't matter how good you are its about how many posters your team has. That's just dumb! The # of posters has nothing to do with it! If that were true Gilmer wouldn't be in the top 10! :doh: :hand:

lulu
09-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

We only played brownsboro 1 and a half quarters but they came out strong. Don't remember who they played last week.
We looked solid too against them but Center game was a different deal. We could'nt have beat a good Jr high team Fri.

We'll do better..I hope.:rolleyes: