PDA

View Full Version : Region IV: GOTW Cuero (4-0) vs La Vernia (3-1)

R4Editor
09-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Cuero has cruised through pre-district without even being tested. Blowing out (4A) Beeville, Rio Hondo, and (4A) Bay City on the road and easily beating Devine at Home.

La Vernia on the road has beaten a very good Bandera team and had a lead late in the game at Giddings before falling by 7. At home they've cruised to victories over Wimberley and Canyon Lake.

The Downlow top 25 as of 9/17 has Cuero ranked #6 and La Vernia at #17.

Last year La Vernia defeated Cuero and there is no doubt that the Gobblers have been awaiting this rematch. The Gobblers have been clicking for sure, but they have yet to play a physical team with the size and power of the Bears. If the Bears can hang with a very powerful Giddings team on the road, we think they can do the same vs. the Gobblers. We keep thinking the Gobblers will get tested and have to play a 4th quarter for keeps, so far, they've proved us wrong. This week, we think we’re right.

1st and goal
09-19-2009, 09:36 AM
This will probably be an awesome game. I wish I could come.

LaVernia has a really good team and they are big where it counts. After watching them play Giddings, I have nothing but great respect for them. That being said, I still got to go with my Cuero peeps. They'll have to bring their best game if they want to win it.

Good luck Cuero. Go Tyler Arndt, (I found out he's my 4th cousin).:D :D :D

SintonFan_inAustin
09-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Cuero 35 La Vernia 7

Gobblers offense too many weapons on the ground and passing.

Cowboy_Up
09-19-2009, 11:37 AM
It seems like everyone thinks Cuero will dominate in this game.
But, I think this will be a very close game. Why?
La Vernia beat them last year and Cuero was really good last year too.
La Vernia went into Giddings and played them very close and very tough.
If in fact Cuero does dominate and win by 20+, then there is no doubt they are the best team in RIV.
Anyone Cuero fan laying 20 points will find a willing gambler in me...for push-ups, a burger, or beer of course:D

pirate4state
09-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Other than Bandera (who went most of the game without their QB) has LV faced a passing attack like they are gonna see Friday night?

Their secondary is suspect. That's all I'm saying.

Cowboy_Up
09-19-2009, 11:47 AM
I doubt the Bears have faced a team with a passing attack like Cuero or even a back with the home run ability of Jackson.
But, I also don't think Cuero has faced a "physical" team like La Vernia, and just based on what I've seen and heard, it may be a tough match-up for the Gobblers. La Vernia may be able to eat some clock and control the tempo of the game, for a little while at least.
I still think Cuero wins, I'd set the spread at 8 or so.

sinton66
09-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Pirate fans can tell you first hand that Cuero doesn't like to lose, and I can almost guarantee you this year will be different against LV. Reeve will be pushing them hard.

44INAROW
09-19-2009, 01:10 PM
it's going to be a good one.. LV is ALWAYS physical.. as usual - I make no prediction...

GO MEAN GREEN

Pudlugger
09-19-2009, 01:27 PM
This will be another great match. LV has the size and the physical edge but Cuero has speed and great athleticism. It is going to be close but the Gobblers win this one by one or two tds.

Nursebetty
09-19-2009, 04:20 PM
As always going with the GOBBLERS for the WIN.......BUT............the GOBBLERS will (imo) face their toughest challenge yet this season in LV. I know the GREEN is going to play tough against LV because we wanna avenge last years loss in LV. Thankfully we're at home this time. GO MEAN GREEN! :cheerl:

1st and goal
09-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Hey Edner Cowboy, I'd take some of that 20 point spread too. Mainly cuz I like beer and burgers but not push ups.

LV can control the clock. When Giddings played them, the Buffs came out really flat in the 1st quarter. But we kept the heat on an were able to get a slight lead. Then we came out after half flat again and they tied it up. We started a no huddle hurry up and it seemed to work and tire them out as we scored back to back making it 14-26 before the lightning stoppage. After an hour break, we came out really flat again and let them score twice taking the lead 27-26. With a no stoppage clock and about a minute and a half, we got a great runback on the kickoff by Marcellus Mack (speedster) and had 2 great passing plays for a TD and 2 point conversion to make it 27-34. LV ram out of time and our defense held them on their next possesion when the clock ran out.

LV played a "soft" secondary respecting our speed. I was hoping the Buffs would pass more early on but coach let 'em run and run. Fumbles hurt us I think twice maybe??? If the Buffs could come out with a bit more of a passing attack they might could catch a defense a bit more flat footed instead of our team looking flat while the opposing defense is not yet tired.

CueroDad08
09-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
Hey Edner Cowboy, I'd take some of that 20 point spread too. Mainly cuz I like beer and burgers but not push ups.

LV can control the clock. When Giddings played them, the Buffs came out really flat in the 1st quarter. But we kept the heat on an were able to get a slight lead. Then we came out after half flat again and they tied it up. We started a no huddle hurry up and it seemed to work and tire them out as we scored back to back making it 14-26 before the lightning stoppage. After an hour break, we came out really flat again and let them score twice taking the lead 27-26. With a no stoppage clock and about a minute and a half, we got a great runback on the kickoff by Marcellus Mack (speedster) and had 2 great passing plays for a TD and 2 point conversion to make it 27-34. LV ram out of time and our defense held them on their next possesion when the clock ran out.

LV played a "soft" secondary respecting our speed. I was hoping the Buffs would pass more early on but coach let 'em run and run. Fumbles hurt us I think twice maybe??? If the Buffs could come out with a bit more of a passing attack they might could catch a defense a bit more flat footed instead of our team looking flat while the opposing defense is not yet tired.

I really thought Cuero and LV were playing this week? Are we playing Giddings? Nice to read about how good Giddings is but I really think the Gobblers have enough on there hands with LV this week. But who know's we could meet the Buff's down the road if that's what your trying to tell us?

Cowboy_Up
09-19-2009, 06:42 PM

Hey there Gomer,
Maybe Giddings ought to spend a little time working on that "coming out flat" thing.

1st and goal
09-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Since hardly anyone from LV post here, I was just trying to give my Cuero peeps a little "insight". Sorry that it bothered you CueroDad08.

Cowboy, Yes, we do need to work on that coming out flat thing. It almost cost us the game against LV.

44INAROW
09-19-2009, 10:22 PM
I was going to make another thread but I decided to put this in this thread.. Hope everyone reads it lol

Please reply back if you are planning on coming to the Cuero vs La Vernia game and would like a quick meet and great. We're making pre-game plans.. nothing fancy - just meeting for supper before the game. Please let us know.. Thanks ;)

CueroDad08
09-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Since hardly anyone from LV post here, I was just trying to give my Cuero peeps a little "insight". Sorry that it bothered you CueroDad08.

Cowboy, Yes, we do need to work on that coming out flat thing. It almost cost us the game against LV.

It did not bother me, sorry if it made you think that. I was just posting that most of what you did post was all about Giddings, not much about LV. But thanks for the insight anyway.

jp744
09-20-2009, 10:37 AM
LaVernia stopped a potent Giddings team that can run and throw the ball. I just don't know if Cuero can stop LaVernia. That is the question. Cuero will put points on the board. Can LaVernia get to the endzone. Grubb Boys will be working and they are hard to stop. Seth running and throwing to his brother Aaron. Both of those kids are as fast as anyone that Cuero has. Seth runs 4.4 and Aaron is 4.5. Our offensive line is big and physical and we handled the speed of Giddings this year. Should be a great football game. Cuero has not played anyone with the talent that we have this year. Cuero has not been challenged and we will challenge them.

Old Green
09-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by jp744
LaVernia stopped a potent Giddings team that can run and throw the ball. I just don't know if Cuero can stop LaVernia. That is the question. Cuero will put points on the board. Can LaVernia get to the endzone. Grubb Boys will be working and they are hard to stop. Seth running and throwing to his brother Aaron. Both of those kids are as fast as anyone that Cuero has. Seth runs 4.4 and Aaron is 4.5. Our offensive line is big and physical and we handled the speed of Giddings this year. Should be a great football game. Cuero has not played anyone with the talent that we have this year. Cuero has not been challenged and we will challenge them. Welcome to the board jp744. Good info and reply.

Daddy D 11
09-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Cuero wins big. Just because. :D

Boomer
09-20-2009, 05:22 PM
I will have to give Cuero the edge because they are playing at home. No doubt this will be the biggest game for Cuero before district play and the playoffs.

beastyboyz
09-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Haven't seen la vernia since the to bellville last year in the playoffs, they couldn't handle the speed of the brahmas, don't kno if they lost or gained anyone, but if they still can't handle speed, and if cuero is as fast as everyone say they are, then its gonna be a long night for LV....

LV_Bearfan
09-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Very different La Vernia defense from a year ago. I believe only 3 starters returned.

beastyboyz
09-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by LV_Bearfan
Very different La Vernia defense from a year ago. I believe only 3 starters returned.

3 starters overall??

LV_Bearfan
09-20-2009, 11:19 PM
I believe it's 5 on offense and 3 on defense, but I'll verify. I heard they lost 25 to graduation, but I don't know that to be fact.

LV_Bearfan
09-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Yep. Just verified...5 on offense and 3 on defense.
Young team. Several good seniors this year, but a lot of talent will return.

beastyboyz
09-20-2009, 11:54 PM
yea we lost 3 on defense, and 6 on offense last year, this years team is stacked with seniors around 30. But good luck to yall. Might see yall in the playoffs again.

LV_Bearfan
09-21-2009, 12:04 AM
Yep. Good Luck to you guys also.

Nursebetty
09-21-2009, 06:56 AM
Dang, that LV-Giddings game musta been pretty good..............

rojosgirl
09-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Hey 44- Great idea! GreenBling and I will be there.

hookandladder
09-21-2009, 10:45 AM
When we scrimmaged Cuero their defense was not very impressive, their pass defense was really weak. I was running the chains and it seemed like Cuero had quite a few players going both ways. Cuero had a # of players on the sideline that were going both ways that were really sucking air, when we were on offense the coach was hollering if they were ready to go back in on defense. I know this was only a scrimmage and also early in the year but going both ways is hard to do in 3A. Now their offense is top notch, QB and RB are the real deal. I think LV has a chance to pull another upset, if not it will be a very close game.

rojosgirl
09-21-2009, 11:43 AM
The Gobbler defense has improved each week and looks good.
No doubt, this will be a great game between two top-notch teams.

GO-MEAN-GREEN!

swineflu
09-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Cuero will be tested but win comfortably.

Darren
09-21-2009, 07:20 PM
La Vernia

By 17.. Bold prediction. we will see

CueroDad08
09-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Darren
La Vernia

By 17.. Bold prediction. we will see

What will it make Giddings look like if Cuero beats them by lets say 2 or 3 TD's?

CueroDad08
09-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
When we scrimmaged Cuero their defense was not very impressive, their pass defense was really weak. I was running the chains and it seemed like Cuero had quite a few players going both ways. Cuero had a # of players on the sideline that were going both ways that were really sucking air, when we were on offense the coach was hollering if they were ready to go back in on defense. I know this was only a scrimmage and also early in the year but going both ways is hard to do in 3A. Now their offense is top notch, QB and RB are the real deal. I think LV has a chance to pull another upset, if not it will be a very close game.

If you have ever watched Cuero play over the years you would know Cuero always has kids play both way's. It has worked over the years just fine. That is why when they play pre season games it is early and most of the kids are not ready to go the whole game yet. But trust me by the end of the season these kids are always in alot better shape than most kids, And are ready.

Gobbla2001
09-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
What will it make Giddings look like if Cuero beats them by lets say 2 or 3 TD's?

Shouldn't make Giddings look any better or worse no matter what the Cuero/La Vernia outcome is... I have about 10 examples I can give you but I'll go with two...

'98:

Sealy beats Cuero 10-3

Cuero beats Industrial comfortably

SOOO, Industrial should lose to Sealy, correct?

Industrial beats Sealy

'02:

Cuero beats Yoakum in OT

Yoakum beats Gonzales

Chances are Cuero beats Gonzales, or at least it's a close game, right?

Gonzales comes into Cuero and beats them like, 43-14 or something

which means: It really doesn't matter. Different defenses, different offenses, different match-ups, different coaches, different weeks...

But Cuero would probably beat Giddings 102.5-0 anway so why do we care? ;)

hookandladder
09-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
If you have ever watched Cuero play over the years you would know Cuero always has kids play both way's. It has worked over the years just fine. That is why when they play pre season games it is early and most of the kids are not ready to go the whole game yet. But trust me by the end of the season these kids are always in alot better shape than most kids, And are ready.

I still say when and if you get deep in the playoffs, players going both ways will hurt you. One or two maybe not but if you have several it has to be a factor. Good luck.

CHSVARSITYDAD
09-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Only 2 going both ways right now.Alot better shape overall than in that scrimmage, just needed to see who worked better on O & D,anyway how is #8 doing,hope he gets atleast 2 weeks off it sounded a little scary.

headhunter
09-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Gobblers will face their only real test before the playoffs on Friday night. There is not another team on the schedule that should be able to hang with Cuero.

The Gobblers:
Offense:
They have plenty of weapons on offense and their should be no problem putting points on the board. The only thing that stops the Gobbler offense is themselves, i.e. turnovers and penalties. Tyler Arndt should be allowed to throw the ball all night and use the passing game to set up the run. Why? Because we all know the hardest thing to coach in high school football is pass coverage. Especially when you have a kid like Arndt who can fling the ball and recievers like the Gobblers have. That will set up Jackson and the rest of the backs to run. I do not believe you can come into Friday night thinking you are going to pound the Bears out of town. I say this because LV s known to be a bigger and more physical team in the trenches. I think once you get them on their heels then you can pound the ball.

Defense:
Gobblers must gang tackle the ball carrier and must establish the line of scrimmage. They cannot get pushed around like last season at the line. That goofy contain defense that Cuero does will not work. They have to be aggresive and get into the backfield. Maybe some blitzing might work instead of the same contain defense that LV saw last year and Liberty Hill pounded you on. Lets blitz!!! Secondary must play great, but more importantly the corners will need some saftey help over the top. Every game this year Cuero covers WR ono on one. Lagrange showed that you can't to that on a good WR. ANd if the other teams had a decent QB that could throw then Cuero would have gien up more points.

THe Bears:
Offense:
Do what you do best. Control the clock, your best defense is your offense. I still think LV neds to throw the ball but they must sustain drives. Running between the tackles is LV strong point. I belive their line will be a bit bigger and possibly stronger. Should they dominate the LOS then Cuero may not get that offense on the field very much.

Defense:
Just do what you can, speed kills and Cuero has it, however if you don't give up the homerun ball then I think Cuero may make a mistake or two. Your not going to stop them but you would have to slow them dowm.

X factor - Is always special teams when two good teams play. I do not know about LV but Cuero's is very suspect. It just seem that is the achillies heal every year for the Gobblers. You would think they would evertually fix their problems. However, big plays and momntum swings is what both teams will ned off f Special Teams.

Also to talk about players going both ways: I think the numbers are down in Cuero this year. Seems like not as many players. This could be an issue if the Gobblers have to play all foru qtrs. Of coarse it is an advantage to run two units, however most of the time it just dosn't hapen in small schools. I would like to see Cuero throw early and then when the defense is tired turn Jackson and the rest of the RB's loose.

Boomer
09-22-2009, 03:24 PM
You want your best 11 on the field when the game is close. A scrimmage is just that, it's practice. Gobblers were just trying to see where players fit in their packages. What this team lacks is depth, mainly up front. They make it up with heart though. They are playing with a lot of determination and heart.

SHSBulldog00
09-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Should be a good game. Cuero will finally get a challenge and prevail victorious.

Nursebetty
09-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Hey 44 .........any more on a M&G ..............Friday night...........25th? I'd love to come!!!!!!!! :D

44INAROW
09-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Nursebetty
Hey 44 .........any more on a M&G ..............Friday night...........25th? I'd love to come!!!!!!!! :D

hey Betty - we're going to meet at the Longhorn between 5"45 and 6:00 before the game.. hope to see you there. I'll have a better idea of how many after Booster Club tomorrow night :)

Nursebetty
09-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks 44........will try my best to be there!

1st and goal
09-23-2009, 06:36 AM
For what it's worth, not many LV fans traveled to Giddings. I'd guess less than 200 (not counting band, cheerleaders, etc..).

Maybe the shorter distance to Cuero will encourage them to travel.

Back to the game. LV can and will pass. I don't have the stats but they'll keep you honest. They have a tough running back who scraps for every last inch. Cuero will need a strong defense capable of getting into LV's backfield and disrupting plays.

LV played virtually mistake free football against the Buffs.

Go Mean Green!

Footballhudini
09-23-2009, 07:04 AM
if la vernia would've just let the gobblers win last year, maybe this game wouldn't get so out of hand.

cuero 56
la vern 0

R4Editor
09-23-2009, 11:24 AM
fyi...c & p from region 4, week 4 preview...

Cuero (4-0) vs. La Vernia (3-1)
This is clearly the game of the week in the region. Matches two state ranked teams with Cuero in the top-10 of just about every poll you can find and in the top 5 of some and La Vernia ranked anywhere from 11th to 20th in the state. Last year the Bears put it to a very good Cuero team and you can bet the Gobblers will be looking to return the favor. What these teams have in common is they are both well coached, fundamentally sound football teams; they will not beat themselves. The Gobblers are more offensively explosive, but the Bears are physical and can control the tempo. A great high school football match-up between two teams that get it right the vast majority of the time. Gobblers have the home field edge and the advantage at QB as we think they have an elite field general in Tyler Arndt. He’s the difference in this game.
Cuero by 5

44INAROW
09-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by R4Editor
fyi...c & p from region 4, week 4 preview...

Gobblers have the home field edge and the advantage at QB as we think they have an elite field general in Tyler Arndt. He’s the difference in this game.
Cuero by 5

I hope the REG IV Editors have it right! This will be a good game.. :)

12thMan
09-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Cuero has a 30 game win streak at home and this team doesn't want to be the team to give it up. Cuero's tuff to beat at home. Just ask Liberty Hill and Wharton. Cuero folks should remember those games. Both teams were state ranked and were both nail biters. I'm sure there are more games, but those two pop out at me. This game should be no different.

R4Editor
09-23-2009, 02:46 PM
I know the last Cuero home loss was to Rice in '03?
Since then when have they been tested at home? Liberty Hill and Wharton were close games? How close and when was the last time the Gobblers were behind late in a game at home?

44INAROW
09-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by 12thMan
Cuero has a 30 game win streak at home and this team doesn't want to be the team to give it up. Cuero's tuff to beat at home. Just ask Liberty Hill and Wharton. Cuero folks should remember those games. Both teams were state ranked and were both nail biters. I'm sure there are more games, but those two pop out at me. This game should be no different.

nice post and welcome to the board - ;)

44INAROW
09-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Since then when have they been tested at home? Liberty Hill and Wharton were close games? How close and when was the last time the Gobblers were behind late in a game at home?

Wow - I need to dig the info up but LH and Wharton were both literally to the last tick of the clock. both games were outstanding games! LH went on to win the State Championship that year! I think the Wharton game was 56-55 or something like that.. I don't recall the LH score but it was a nail-biter for sure!

12thMan
09-23-2009, 03:39 PM
I forgot about last years game v. Baycity. We were down by one I think till Booth stripped the ball out of BC's RB hands. We drove down the field and scored the winning td for the win.

Gobbler Fan
09-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Was it Sinton 04' ? that gave us a close game 28-34 then we blew them out in the playoff's*Alamodome* shutting them out which started our 4 game shutout streak against them .

I believe they had a RB by the name of Franco that year who was their main guy.

44INAROW
09-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Was it Sinton 04' ? that gave us a close game 28-34 then we blew them out in the playoff's*Alamodome* shutting them out which started our 4 game shutout streak against them .

I do believe you're right

Old Green
09-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Since then when have they been tested at home? Liberty Hill and Wharton were close games? How close and when was the last time the Gobblers were behind late in a game at home? It was last year against Bay City that Cuero was behind late in the game (2008). Booth stripped the ball out of the BC running backs hands with about 2 minutes left in the game. Cuero went down the field and scored the winning td. with seconds left on the clock.

pirate4state
09-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan

*sigh* yep, everything that could go wrong in that game (Alamodome) did!

lvfan12
09-23-2009, 09:15 PM
this will be a game to watch.. the bears are physical and have a lot of talent and heart.. Cuero really has had no competition this year which makes them look real good.. but lv went to Giddings and almost beat them in a nailbiter.. so all these predictions r useless.. we will just have to see on friday night.. Big Bear defense should hold up the talented Cuero O. and the Bear offense will put points on the board.. should be a good game

lv by 7

Gobbla2001
09-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by lvfan12
the Bear offense will put points on the board..

Uhm, no... sorry... I control the scoreboard at Gobbler Stadium, I am the one who puts the points up on the board...

Cuero has a 30 game win streak at home... I took over running the scoreboard 30 home games ago... that's all you need to know...

Cowboy_Up
09-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Uhm, no... sorry... I control the scoreboard at Gobbler Stadium, I am the one who puts the points up on the board...

Cuero has a 30 game win streak at home... I took over running the scoreboard 30 home games ago... that's all you need to know...

I knew something like that was going on all these years. :doh:

banderafan
09-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Having only seen the La Vernia/Bandera game, La Vernia will need to bring it’s “A-Game” on offense to beat Cuero. La Vernia’s defense has played solid so far, but their offense seems to have struggled at times;

VS Bandera – 204 total yards, no offensive TD’s
VS Giddings – 273 total yards, against a very good team
VS Wimberley – 323 total yards, 0-0 score at half
VS Fischer Canyon Lake – 304 total yards, 7-0 score at half

How well Seth Grubb(QB) plays will determine how the game goes for La Vernia. Good luck to both Cuero and La Vernia, and may the best team win!

44INAROW
09-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by banderafan
Having only seen the La Vernia/Bandera game, La Vernia will need to bring it’s “A-Game” on offense to beat Cuero. La Vernia’s defense has played solid so far, but their offense seems to have struggled at times;

How well Seth Grubb(QB) plays will determine how the game goes for La Vernia. Good luck to both Cuero and La Vernia, and may the best team win!
thanks for the stats.. good stuff :)
The field is going to be WET - even if it quits raining - :eek:

pirate4state
09-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by banderafan

Good post. I agree with your opinion about Seth's play being a big factor!

headhunter
09-24-2009, 09:16 AM
The soogy field should be in favor of LaVernia, I still think Cuero will not change their gameplan of throwing the football. They threw all night in the rain vs Devine and I was very impressed that the Gobblers did not let the weather dictate how they called plays. I think we will see much of the same tomorow night. The wet field may slow down the Gobblers a little but it should not be a huge problem, especially since they have played in an elements game before.

jp744
09-24-2009, 02:04 PM
I think it funny how everyone is picking Cuero. Who cares about home winning streaks, soggy field, none of that matters. This is what High School football is all about. Each town shutting down to go watch its team play. Two great sports programs not just football but all sports. We will be chanting LV. You'll be chanting go big green. Our band will play when your on offense and your will play loud when we are on offense. I can't wait to see it. I have not been to that stadium in a while so it will be nice to walk out on that field another time. The last time I was their we got beat pretty good. This one will be different though. But, Cuero has not played anyone this year and we will test the mighty green. Cuero's opponents are a combined 4-11 record this year. Two teams have not won a game this year. Bay City and Rio Hondo. Beeville beat West Oso and I think they are down this year as well. We have been tested my friend. Our first three opponents were all state ranked. We were beating Giddings going into the fourth and let it slip away from us. This will Cuero's first real test this season. They will have to play the whole game. It will be a great game, no doubt. But you people saying it is going to be a blow out are crazy. This will be a tight game.

Cowboy_Up
09-24-2009, 02:22 PM
I can't believe I'm coming to the defense of the team I'd like to beat more than any other but...Cuero hasn't been tested because they kicked butt, not because they didn't want to play anyone.

4A Beeville has been a playoff team for the last few years, making it to the 2nd and 3rd rounds the last two years. How would the AD at Cuero know they'd lose their coach and be in a rebuilding year when he made the schedule 3 years ago?

Same with 4A Bay City, historically a very tough foe. Not Cuero's fault the black cats are now the kittens.

Rio Hondo looked to be a building program, this year they start a fish at QB, Cuero didn't ask them to do that.

Devine is a decent team that will most likely make the playoffs.

And now we have state ranked La Vernia.

Had Beeville and Bay City not dropped off, everyone would be saying the Gobblers had a tough pre-district slate.

44INAROW
09-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
I can't believe I'm coming to the defense of the team I'd like to beat more than any other but...Cuero hasn't been tested because they kicked butt, not because they didn't want to play anyone.

thanks Cowboy_up ;)

JP744 - you'll be surprised when you get to the stadium- we've got a brand new concession stand/ticket booth and new bathrooms.. If you remember the old ones - we needed new ones badly.
I haven't read the entire thread again, but I don't see any Cuero folks saying that Cuero is going to slaughter La Vernia - I do believe there is alot of mutual respect. Remember, not just Cuero folks do the voting.

Be careful on the trip to DeWitt County :)

GO MEAN GREEN

Gobbler Fan
09-24-2009, 02:56 PM
No blowout I dont know where you got that from . Im o.k. with winning by 7 ...GO MEAN GREEN :D

LV_Bearfan
09-24-2009, 05:00 PM
I believe he's referring to our "magician" friend's post! Some don't know to ignore him yet.

I agree that Cuero folks show a lot of respect.

12thMan
09-24-2009, 05:52 PM
I agree, no blow out here, just good solid football game. A win is a win in this game, even if it's by 1 point. I will be bold and say that LV will have to put up at least 28 points to beat Cuero because of Cuero's explosive offense. LV will be ready for sure just like they were verses Giddings. Can't wait for this one!!

Gobbla2001
09-24-2009, 06:16 PM
I think it funny how everyone is picking Cuero. Who cares about home winning streaks, soggy field, none of that matters. This is what High School football is all about. Each town shutting down to go watch its team play. Two great sports programs not just football but all sports. We will be chanting LV. You'll be chanting go big green. Our band will play when your on offense and your will play loud when we are on offense. I can't wait to see it. I have not been to that stadium in a while so it will be nice to walk out on that field another time. The last time I was their we got beat pretty good. This one will be different though. But, Cuero has not played anyone this year and we will test the mighty green. Cuero's opponents are a combined 4-11 record this year. Two teams have not won a game this year. Bay City and Rio Hondo. Beeville beat West Oso and I think they are down this year as well. We have been tested my friend. Our first three opponents were all state ranked. We were beating Giddings going into the fourth and let it slip away from us. This will Cuero's first real test this season. They will have to play the whole game. It will be a great game, no doubt. But you people saying it is going to be a blow out are crazy. This will be a tight game.

First of all, everyone means all... I do see some votes for LV so there's no way it's everyone picking Cuero...

Number two, no one in Cuero shouts "go BIG green", unless they're either an outta towner just getting the hang of it or a color-blind Nebraska fan

Number three, we're not the Mighty Green either, we're THE Green... We tried to schedule UNT but they declined, either that or Keith7 deleted the email

Your oppenents may have been state ranked, but that doesn't add up to anything, they haven't played Cuero so you have no measuring stick to go by... Cuero being the max...

You WERE beating Giddings in the third quarter, the fourth quarter came and Giddings was beating you...

This will NOT be Cuero's first test of the season, our students get tests every week, and our football players get straight A's, and some even the letter BEFORE A...

They will have to play the whole game? Damn, genius, most teams do...

Gobbla2001
09-24-2009, 06:45 PM
We should have a friendly wager... Like if LV wins, I'll let y'all stay a week at my beach-house in Oklahoma...

And if I win we both benefit... If I win y'all have to let me help y'all pick a different mascott... you know, like one that fits La Vernia... Coyote, Cowboy, Rattlesnakes, Mustangs....... Bears? WTH, did one escape from the SA Zoo one day and BAM, you became the bears?

Unstoppable
09-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Very excited about this matchup. La Vernia was undefeated last time they visited Cuero and got beat. Cuero was undefeated going to La Vernia last year and go beat. Everyone is saying LaVernia's size versus Cuero's speed.

I was checking the weather updates all week and hopefully it holds up and drys out before kick off. Either way I will be making the 4.5 hour drive up from McAllen to yell "Go Mean Green" with the rest of the Gobbler Fans. It's true Gobbler Pride never dies!

rodeo-rider
09-24-2009, 07:44 PM
you will hear "GO MEAN GREEN " a bunch on Friday...

Gobbla2001
09-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by rodeo-rider
you will hear "GO MEAN GREEN " a bunch on Friday...

Well yah, Papa Spence yells it atleast 6 times before the game ever starts...

44INAROW
09-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Unstoppable
Very excited about this matchup. La Vernia was undefeated last time they visited Cuero and got beat. Cuero was undefeated going to La Vernia last year and go beat. Everyone is saying LaVernia's size versus Cuero's speed.

I was checking the weather updates all week and hopefully it holds up and drys out before kick off. Either way I will be making the 4.5 hour drive up from McAllen to yell "Go Mean Green" with the rest of the Gobbler Fans. It's true Gobbler Pride never dies! some of us are meeting at the Longhorn before the game for a little Meet and Greet - you are more than welcome - I think about 10 are coming so far -

GO MEAN GREEN :)

hsfootballfan
09-24-2009, 08:29 PM
How much rain has Cuero gotten this week? It's been raining in SA seems like nonstop but I don't know if it's been the same in Cuero. What are the field conditions currently? I know Cuero played well in the rain a couple of weeks ago, anybody know if it rained on La Vernia's game that week too and how it affected them? Just wondering how a wet field might affect this game.

lvfan12
09-24-2009, 08:49 PM
um gobbla2001 u sure are pretty confident and a lil smart&&&! and cuero has not faced a worthy opponent all year.. nothing tat even can add up to lv's talent. ya everyone knows cuero is good but everyone also remembers how good they were last year wat a kickin lv gave em so we will c if cuero can hold up tat thirty game win streak or watever at there house because the bears are ending that in about 23 hours..

Gobbla2001
09-24-2009, 09:03 PM

the bears are ending that in about 23 hours..

Lookuh here, unless the game starts at 5 or we forfeit, aint nothin' gunna be over in 23 hours... and I'ma big smartass, fat some might say, but I'm good lookin'!

lvfan12
09-24-2009, 09:08 PM
ya well it starts in 23 hours and itll be on.. so y dont we jus stop this and leave it up to the game..

Gobbla2001
09-24-2009, 09:13 PM
haha

bowleghorses
09-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Well I'm not going to the game because it's too darn far away...but it sounds like it's gunna be a doozy.:devil:

gobbler grad
09-24-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by hsfootballfan
How much rain has Cuero gotten this week? It's been raining in SA seems like nonstop but I don't know if it's been the same in Cuero. What are the field conditions currently? I know Cuero played well in the rain a couple of weeks ago, anybody know if it rained on La Vernia's game that week too and how it affected them? Just wondering how a wet field might affect this game.

had about 2 -1/2 ''...it will be fine:thinking:

Gobbla2001
09-25-2009, 07:20 AM
"I don't think revenge is a motivating factor" - Coach Reeve in today's Victoria Advocate

does everyone agree?

I've seen teams go into a game for revenge and it work beautifully for them... have seen it not go so well also...

KingRob
09-25-2009, 08:58 AM
I am going to this game tonight and I am about as hyped up as one can be. It's going to be a goodern, and the Bears will be coming in with some swagger.

However, the Gobblers have the talent with Tyler, and a great stable of running backs.

Survey says:

Cuero - 41
La Vernia - 21

LET'S GO CUERO!!!
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

KingRob
09-25-2009, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
some of us are meeting at the Longhorn before the game for a little Meet and Greet - you are more than welcome - I think about 10 are coming so far -

GO MEAN GREEN :)

I will be there with my Dad! Can't wait.

44IAR, I have your cell. I'll call or stop by your workplace.

WooHoo!! Let's get it started!!!

44INAROW
09-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by KingRob
I will be there with my Dad! Can't wait.

44IAR, I have your cell. I'll call or stop by your workplace.

WooHoo!! Let's get it started!!!
I'll be here all day (except noon) woohoo :)

LH Panther Mom
09-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Liberty Hill ? How close ?
31-27

hsfootballfan
09-25-2009, 10:03 AM
From today's San Antonio Express-News:

"Key matchup: La Vernia DE Klayton Jarzombek vs. Cuero RB Trent Jackson

Even with a Division I-A recruit at quarterback in Tyler Arndt, Cuero’s most dangerous player might be Jackson.

Already hailed as one of the state’s top prospects in the Class of 2012, the sophomore ran for 238 yards and three touchdowns last week against Bay City as the Gobblers, averaging 38 points per game, improved to 4-0.

Even at 6-foot-2 and 220 pounds, Jarzombek isn’t the physical specimen former Bears end Zeke Riser was. But he might be a better pure player, as witnessed by his 30 tackles and four sacks through four games.

His partnership with fellow end A.J. Ybarra will be critical in containing Cuero’s explosive playmaker."

44INAROW
09-25-2009, 10:13 AM
I'll admit - this is the 1st game of the season that I've gotten "all goose-bumpy" about. Should be a great game :)

GO MEAN GREEN;)

12thMan
09-25-2009, 10:29 AM
um gobbla2001 u sure are pretty confident and a lil smart&&&! and cuero has not faced a worthy opponent all year.. nothing tat even can add up to lv's talent. ya everyone knows cuero is good but everyone also remembers how good they were last year wat a kickin lv gave em so we will c if cuero can hold up tat thirty game win streak or watever at there house because the bears are ending that in about 23 hours..

Bold, real bold. To say your comming into our house and win tonight is crazy. If LV can slow us down, then maybe. They'll need to put up quite a few points to beat Cuero.

Also, who cares about the teams we played and the teams LV has played. No, we have not been tested yet. We have blown every team out by the 3rd qtr. just like we should have done. It's Not our fault the teams we have played are down this year. No one wants to schedule us. If Rio Hondo or Baycity would have beat us or came close to beating us, then you can say something about the quality of teams we have played. They didn't come close, not even Devine, who will be a playoff team this year. We have beaten all our opponets like all good teams should.

Tonight will be no exception.

rojosgirl
09-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Hey 44 - I've been "goose-bumpy" all week. It gets worse each day! Hope the weather will hold out for us tonight. Looking forward to a great "slobber-knocking" game at Gobbler Stadium. See you at the M & G at the Longhorn.

GO-MEAN-GREEN!:cheerl:

maroogreen
09-25-2009, 12:55 PM
GO Gobblers! Since we didn't want to take the kids out in the rain for the last home game, I am long overdue for my Cuero football fix at Gobbler Stadium!

jp744
09-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by rojosgirl
Hey 44 - I've been "goose-bumpy" all week. It gets worse each day! Hope the weather will hold out for us tonight. Looking forward to a great "slobber-knocking" game at Gobbler Stadium. See you at the M & G at the Longhorn.

GO-MEAN-GREEN!:cheerl:

By god I wasn't invited to the Longhorn! I can't wear Blue into the place can I? Ha Ha that would be funny though. Sit around and talk with all of you Cuero fans. Well we are here. It is almost game time. What a great night for football nice and cool. Hopefuly no rain. Great Historic Stadium (With New Bathrooms and Concession Stands) Two schools rich in winning football tradition. Two fan bases that love their schools and expect to win. Should be a good game. I am fired up. Do the visitor still dress in the gym and have to walk through the parking lot to get to the field?

LH Panther Mom
09-25-2009, 01:36 PM
By god I wasn't invited to the Longhorn! I can't wear Blue into the place can I? Ha Ha that would be funny though. Sit around and talk with all of you Cuero fans.
They let purple in 2 years ago, and blue is kinda close to purple! :D

44INAROW
09-25-2009, 01:37 PM
By god I wasn't invited to the Longhorn! I can't wear Blue into the place can I? Ha Ha that would be funny though. Sit around and talk with all of you Cuero fans. Well we are here. It is almost game time. What a great night for football nice and cool. Hopefuly no rain. Great Historic Stadium (With New Bathrooms and Concession Stands) Two schools rich in winning football tradition. Two fan bases that love their schools and expect to win. Should be a good game. I am fired up. Do the visitor still dress in the gym and have to walk through the parking lot to get to the field?

now, this isn't just for Cuero folks -

Please reply back if you are planning on coming to the Cuero vs La Vernia game and would like a quick meet and great. We're making pre-game plans.. nothing fancy - just meeting for supper before the game. Please let us know.. Thanks ;)

come on and join us - when we played Liberty Hill here we had Liberty Hill, Sinton and Cuero folks all at the same table.. I'll be honest, I have no idea where the visitors dress, sorry :( So far the weather is cooperating, hope it stays that way :)

pirate4state
09-25-2009, 01:54 PM
now, this isn't just for Cuero folks -

come on and join us - when we played Liberty Hill here we had Liberty Hill, Sinton and Cuero folks all at the same table.. I'll be honest, I have no idea where the visitors dress, sorry :( So far the weather is cooperating, hope it stays that way :) that was a good M&G...where are those pictures? LOL

I guess nothing ever happened with those interviews that newspaper guy conducted?

rojosgirl
09-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Come on to the Longhor jp744! Green & blue look good together. Pass the stadium and Walmart & it's a bit out of town on the left.

:thumbsup:

hsfootballfan
09-25-2009, 02:07 PM
From DCTF's Travis Stewart:

La Vernia (3-1) at No. 5 Cuero (4-0): Don't worry -- I'm not firing off any ambitious upset picks against the Gobblers after what happened when I sided with Devine a ways back. But I am putting this game firmly in front of the rest of the 3A pack. Cuero, led by QB Tyler Arndt, is one of the most effective and effecient passing attacks in South Texas -- add in Trent Jackson, who already has 8 rushing touchdowns, and either aspect of the offense can bury you. But La Vernia is well-equipped to handle big offense, and so far, its defensive outings have been very impressive. Seven points allowed to Bandera was just the beginning -- then it gave up 34 to Giddings in a game that it probably should have won, followed by a shutout of Wimberley and another 7-point outing against talented Fischer Canyon Lake. Does that mean that La Vernia can plug up Arndt AND Jackson? Probably not. But it means that it can likely handle one of them, and that could be enough rope for QB Seth Grubb to make a little magic happen. The biggest thing for La Vernia is that it is going to have to stay away from turnovers -- mistakes like those will just give Cuero more opportunities.
Jerry Forrest's pick: Cuero by 14
TexasFootball.com pick: Cuero by 9

CHSVARSITYDAD
09-25-2009, 02:24 PM
LV uses jv locker rooms next to varsity rooms by field house, just outside of stadium

44INAROW
09-25-2009, 02:49 PM
King Rob and his dad just left my office. I think Germany to Cuero is officially the longest distance traveled for a Meet and Greet :) Anyone from LV reading this - please don't be skeered - come on to the Longhorn - we don't bite :)

pirate4state
09-25-2009, 02:55 PM
King Rob and his dad just left my office. I think Germany to Cuero is officially the longest distance traveled for a Meet and Greet :) Anyone from LV reading this - please don't be skeered - come on to the Longhorn - we don't bite :) Crazy Eddie is living in La Vernia. His kids go to school there. Oh wait...I don't think you met him. LOL. That was Ranger Mom & LHPM that met Crazy Eddie. :doh: Nevermind. :D

Good Luck to both teams & safe travels!

SHSBulldog00
09-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Remember to bring your green slickers or Cuero Gobbler umbrella's if rain is in the forecast.

Gobbler Fan
09-25-2009, 10:08 PM

After all that rattling off ... I would just like to ask if we passed the test ? Oh and we finally played someone woo hoo :D

Mean Green Fan
09-25-2009, 10:34 PM

CUERO 41
LA VERNIA16

CUERO KICKED SOME BEAR BUTT:D

Pudlugger
09-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Good going Green Gobblers!:D

The Kracken
09-25-2009, 10:48 PM
well i guess must for real after this game since we beat the mighty La Vernia quite handily

44INAROW
09-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Good game Gobblers :clap: :clap:

Had fun at the Mini Meet and Greet - King Rob and his dad seemed to have a good time and he was able to meet quite a few of the guys from the downlow at the game. He's got some pictures to post later on...;)

12thMan
09-25-2009, 10:59 PM
LV didn't know who to cover. Tyler showed why he's a DI prospect. I guess this proves Cuero is the real deal because we finely played a worthy opponet. 31 stright wins at home. I loved the way Cuero opened it's playbook.

Cowboy_Up
09-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Late in the 2nd quarter looked like LV was starting to impose their will a bit as they took the lead into half and the Gobblers looked a little flat.
They didn't come out after half flat. Total and complete domination for Cuero in the 2nd half. That's the best 3A offense I think I've seen. Stack the box to stop the run, QB will make you pay. Keep the safeties back to protect against the pass and they run it down your throat. It'll take a very good defense with good, well coached players to stop that offense.

LV QB couldn't pass the ball, but there was open receivers and if Cuero is going to play that man to man with no safety help they better get to the QB. The gobblers had 8 in the box for most of the game and although LV hit some very nice runs early, they were shut down in the 2nd half.

That throw back pass to the TE was a thing of beauty. Nice play calling by Cuero staff in 2nd half.

KingRob
09-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by KingRob
I am going to this game tonight and I am about as hyped up as one can be. It's going to be a goodern, and the Bears will be coming in with some swagger.

However, the Gobblers have the talent with Tyler, and a great stable of running backs.

Survey says:

Cuero - 41
La Vernia - 21

LET'S GO CUERO!!!
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

Well, I was pretty close! I must admit, I was a bit worried at half time, but the Gobblers dominated the second half, and shut down the Bears running game. Opening up the passing game gave Tyler a chance to air the ball out.

I had one of the greatest days I can remember. Just an all around great day in Cuero. Cuero has some really, really good people. Really nice meeting Rojosgirl, Gobblerbling, Gobblergrad, and of course seeing 44IAR at the m & g. Of course it was great meeting all the others that I met through out the nite made it even more special. The radio interview was something else!! However, nothing can top being able to watch my Gobblers win and extend the home streak to 31 games. Many thanks to all!!!:clap:

LV_Bearfan
09-26-2009, 02:04 AM
Good game Cuero. Hats off to you guys.

Gobbla2001
09-26-2009, 10:07 AM
But, Cuero has not played anyone this year

I assume we still haven't?

headhunter
09-26-2009, 10:38 AM
I was very impressed in many ways last night. First of all the Gobblers won the game and that is what counts. I saw some things from the Gobbler offense that some of you may have over looked and is why, in my opinion, Cuero had the advantage.

Cuero was better prepared for this game then any game in the past I believe. I liked how Reeve used the pre-snap shif to give the Gobblers the advantage at the line and be able to run to the strong side. They did this on the first two drives and in the 3rd qtr. Tyler would come under center, hten back off and make a pre-snap shift. LV was not prepared to adjust and we then had the advantage of running to the strong side. My hats off to the coaching staff I thought that was a huge improvement. THe O line was very impressive as well as only allowing one sack. THey gave up 20-40lbs per lineman accross the line and still did a great job. And the passing game was at its best. I do not think many people understand just how good Tyler Arndt is.

With that said, I did worry why we tried to run our ISO single back run 5 out of the last 7 plays before half. Both our last two drives look liked we were getting conservative and were just tying to get into the locker room. IMO, with two timeouts, at the 20 yard line and the best QB in the state and 4 top WR why do you not try to put a drive together before the half? What is the worst that can happen? LV score, oh wait, that happened. Cuero, will probably never be faced the rest of the season with a chance for a 2 min drive since we will be leading 49-0 in district at half. This is where Cuero has the advantage over ANY team in the state. When Tyler has the ball and is allowed to throw, I do not think Cuero can be stopped.

Now, other then the last two drives of the half I thought the Cuero Coaching staff outcoached the LV coaches and probably made some of the best half time adjustments I have ever seen. Only throwing 6 times in the 1st half made me question what we were thinking, but we came out and opened it up in the 3rd qtr and put 21 points on the board in 7 minutes. THat just shows that Cuero can score almost at will.

Defense: Great adjusments, our DE were getiing sucked in and were losing contain on the QB option play, good adjustments at half. Passng defense is still suspect, but in hih school football, pass coverage is the hardest thing to teach. I did see some great plays made in the secondary especially on 4th down and #20 breaking on the ball. I would like to touch on one thing that Cowboy Up mentioned. We have no safety help on the pass. One on one pass coverage is tough on corners. I hope we can find a way to include a safety over the top when we play a team that can throw the ball. LV had WR open and mostly over the middle.

Most of the time I am pretty critical on the Gobblers because I think they can always get better. I think in week 13 the all things is what beats you, I believe we are on our way to fixing those things and feel better now after beat a really good LaVernia team. After Friday night I think Cuero is in it's best position in the past 6 yrs t go to the semi-finals 13-0 and hopefully play the game of their life to get them to a state championship.

Footballhudini
09-26-2009, 12:29 PM
its late september and cuero still hasn't played anyone yet!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

great game turkeys

44INAROW
09-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I assume we still haven't?

I am so glad you're back ;)

Headhunter - I have a"girl question" what is ISO? OK now stop laughing lol.. I assume it's some kind of "option" maybe thanks

headhunter
09-26-2009, 12:34 PM
So where is the LaVernia posters now, I figured they would have a great reason why they only had 55 yrds of offense in the second half.

LaVernia is a solid team and is probably in the top 5 in Region IV, BUT there is a big difference between Cuero Giddings and the rest of REgion IV

Gobblers off for a week then its back to business with Yoakum.

44INAROW
09-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Yoakum vs Cuero is a great way to start off District - with the Dawgs big win last night, they'll be pumped up.. should be a good matchup

Gobbla2001
09-26-2009, 12:49 PM
You mentioned what you saw as a conservative offense in the last minutes of the first half... that is something I have noticed for a long time...

With that said, I'm not gunna sit here and gripe about it too much, Coach Reeve and his staff has done an excellent job the past 7 years... but I've always found the conservatism of a team with the lead to be a very interesting discussion...

I heard a lot of post Bills/Pats postgame noise about the kick returner (is it McElven? Not sure but that's what I'll call them player)... People kept saying "You have to kneel the ball there, you can't let something happen"... I completely disagree, and if I were the Bills coach, and the situation was set up again, I'd do the same damn thing: run it out!

You had 6 seconds left befpre the two minute warning... the Pats had two timeouts left... now you're gunna try to run the clock out, that's fine to me IF you get a first down on that first play... if not, you come back out of the two minute warning with the Pats still having two timeouts on a 2nd and whatever... but you run the ball out, you burn those seconds and keep the Pats from getting a third timeout because you start at 2:00 left with a 1st and 10...

I brought this up via text to a radio host in houston and we discussed it for a while via text... his position was "you just can't take the chance that the Pats get the ball back"... my whole position was "you just can't play to NOT lose, you've got to play to WIN... if that is your philosophy, to not give the ball up, then why carry the ball out in the 1st qt, 2nd qt, 3rd qt or early in the 4th?"

I know why coaches go conservative, something bad happens once or twice and they make sure it doesn't happen again by not setting themselves up for ffailure...

I'm not in their position so I won't complain too much, but I'm thinking I'd do things differently if I were in that position...

headhunter
09-26-2009, 01:04 PM
I agree and I think that has what hurt Cuero in the past, (Hutto is the one tat make s me the most mad)

And I'm not going to harp on it either, but I think you make a great point.

My opinion is: Cuero has the best QB in 3A. Allow him the chance to lead his team, give him the opprotunity to show why he is so highly rated. showcase that talent. My other thing is: Cuero WILL NOT EVER have another chance to run a two minute offense until the playoffs. This was a great chance to work on it. Also when you cam out the 3rd qtr and showed you can score on 3 playes then you really wonder why try and not take it down the field before half? I do think the Gobblers are way ahead of what I expected.

This may be one of those teams like in 1998 where everyone did not expect much, but the team slowly kept getting better and everything came together. Only time will tell, and now it will be tough over the next 5 games to know if you are getting any better. I think Yoakum will give a good game since we will be coming off a bye week and Turkeyfest is that week as well (lots of distractions). I don't think it should be close but they may hang with us for a few minutes. Other then that the district looks weaker then last yr.

Mean Green Fan
09-26-2009, 02:59 PM
ISO...The International Organization for Standardization:D

tango
09-26-2009, 04:12 PM
I am so glad you're back ;)

Headhunter - I have a"girl question" what is ISO? OK now stop laughing lol.. I assume it's some kind of "option" maybe thanks

A typical bread-and-butter play from the I-formation might have a name like "I right 32 iso". That means an I formation with the right side being the strong side - the tight end and the flanker (the wide receiver a yard behind the line of scrimmage) are lined up to the right, with a split end (the wide receiver on the line of scrimmage) on the left. The 32 means the halfback (or the 3-back) is getting the ball and running through the 2-hole (between the center and right guard). "Iso" is short for isolation, meaning the fullback is leading the running back through the hole and engaging the middle linebacker in an isolation, one-on-one block.

44INAROW
09-26-2009, 05:28 PM
thanks guys:)