PDA

View Full Version : The Class of 3A:

Move The Chains
09-19-2009, 01:25 AM
IMO there are only 2 top tier teams:

#1 Gilmer
#2 A. Wylie

Then theres:

Mexia, Navasota, WO-S, Monahans, Cuero, Giddings, Brownwood (if healthy)

* I may be leaving off someone. Sorry in advance.

And then theres:

Bellville, LaGrange, Lovejoy, Carthage, Prosper, Celina, etc.

Then:

Everyone else

Z-RO
09-19-2009, 02:04 AM
I am not a big fan of RWB but I think you have to throw Graham into that second group of yours.

cntdwn
09-19-2009, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Move The Chains

#1 Gilmer
#2 A. Wylie

Then theres:

And then theres:

Then:

Everyone else

Don't forget that town 18 miles north of you. It's time is a comin'

garciap77
09-19-2009, 06:28 AM

#1 Gilmer
#2 A. Wylie

Then theres:

And then theres:

Then:

Everyone else

Graham Should be in there with Brownwood.

Move The Chains
09-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Good call guys. Graham SHOULD be in there. Sorry for snubbing them. Noone else has an opinion?

ccmom
09-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Z-RO
I am not a big fan of RWB but I think you have to throw Graham into that second group of yours.
How classy of you...sigh...Yep, the Steers are gonna make some noise!

WildTexan972
09-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Graham is in Reg1....anyone with a pulse can make a run in weak Region 1....

Move The Chains
09-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Reg 1 is better than Reg 2.

sinton66
09-19-2009, 11:42 AM

#1 Gilmer
#2 A. Wylie

Then theres:

And then theres:

Then:

Everyone else

Apparently you are only referring to THIS year?

Move The Chains
09-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Apparently you are only referring to THIS year? Right. I'm talking about at this point in 2009.

Buckeye80
09-19-2009, 02:41 PM
#1 Abilene Wylie
#2 Gilmer

I'm the only one who actually believes this I guess!

Move The Chains
09-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
#1 Abilene Wylie
#2 Gilmer

I'm the only one who actually believes this I guess! I'd say they're pretty close. They're my 1-2.... just swapped. I like Gilmer to be #1 after what they did las night. I'll have a better opinion of Wylie after they stomp Brownwood. :p

Buckeye80
09-19-2009, 02:46 PM
I'd say they're pretty close. They're my 1-2.... just swapped. I like Gilmer to be #1 after what they did las night. I'll have a better opinion of Wylie after they stomp Brownwood. :p

There is so much animosity toward Brownwood! I wish I had a clue why everyone hates them so much. I don't even know where Brownwood is! Around Abilene somewhere maybe?

Move The Chains
09-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Wow man. You must have been in hibernation for the last year or so.

Rocket/Kid Ice and their mouths... er fingers.... is why everyone loves to hate the Lions. lol. ;)

Buckeye80
09-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Wow man. You must have been in hibernation for the last year or so.

Rocket/Kid Ice and their mouths... er fingers.... is why everyone loves to hate the Lions. lol. ;)

Not hibernating; just far enough removed from there not to really have an opinion. I guess the folks from Brownwood are just upset that they haven't ruled the roost in 3A like they had expected. But everyone who truly follows football in Texas knows that the competitive difference between 3A and 4A is usually pretty slight.

Old Dog
09-19-2009, 03:12 PM
They make these little things called maps and almanacs that are really worth the investment to know those unknown places.

I used to not know exactly where Gilmer was, but because they are 3A, I took the time to find out. Makes me think you might be a big city guy because they usually really don't give a crap where anyone but themselves are located.

sinton66
09-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
They make these little things called maps and almanacs that are really worth the investment to know those unknown places.

I used to not know exactly where Gilmer was, but because they are 3A, I took the time to find out. Makes me think you might be a big city guy because they usually really don't give a crap where anyone but themselves are located.

huh?

Buckeye80
09-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog

Are you retarded?

Move The Chains
09-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Are you retarded? roflmao

lulu
09-19-2009, 04:06 PM
#1 Abilene Wylie
#2 Gilmer

I'm the only one who actually believes this I guess!

No

ProudHornetMom
09-19-2009, 04:14 PM
#1 Gilmer
#2 A. Wylie
Then theres:
And then theres:
Then:
Everyone else

Whew...thank you. I know I feel better knowing the pecking order.

Z-RO
09-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
How classy of you...sigh...Yep, the Steers are gonna make some noise!

Here to save the day again! :rolleyes:

blowfish
09-19-2009, 05:41 PM

#1 Gilmer
#2 A. Wylie

Then theres:

And then theres:

Then:

Everyone else

:clap: :thumbsup: :iagree: :2thumbsup

garciap77
09-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
Graham is in Reg1....anyone with a pulse can make a run in weak Region 1....

Are you boys going to play anymore 2A school?

:D

Rocket
09-19-2009, 10:55 PM
You people are failing to realize something.

We haven't even started and we are 3-1. The Stephenville game was a smokescreen. We pulled all of our studs after our QB went out and basically threw the game. Most on here picked Brownwood to lose to LH and we DOMINATED them. Oh and we were missing some VERY good players.

Even with a Soph QB, Brownwood is going to give Wylie EVERYTHING they can handle and Brownwood will have a strong chance to win. We have studs on both sides of the ball. You people just don't know. You will soon.

Graham's defense is untested at best. They haven't played a spread offense yet. Not like Wylie or Brownwood. They have played puds that do nothing but run the ball. Get real people.

TheDOCTORdre
09-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Rocket

We haven't even started and we are 3-1. The Stephenville game was a smokescreen. We pulled all of our studs after our QB went out and basically threw the game. Most on here picked Brownwood to lose to LH and we DOMINATED them. Oh and we were missing some VERY good players.

Even with a Soph QB, Brownwood is going to give Wylie EVERYTHING they can handle and Brownwood will have a strong chance to win. We have studs on both sides of the ball. You people just don't know. You will soon.

Graham's defense is untested at best. They haven't played a spread offense yet. Not like Wylie or Brownwood. They have played puds that do nothing but run the ball. Get real people.

Well Rocket are yall ever gonna get started because ever since Brownwood has come to 3A we've been waiting for it to get started(hopefully one day we will see this juggernaut you speak of.) Even if the injury bug doesnt hit ya'll in the Stephenville game, the outcome of the game goes from being a 35 pt shut out to what a 21 point loss? And lets hope the injury bug doesnt hit you in the playoffs or district because if thats the case, is your team just gonnafold up and "throw" those games too? Another things is all week , actually all year you;ve been saying how LH is way down this year, so why should ya'll get props for dominating a team that is way down? As far as games to be played in district, especially the Wylie game, we will just have to wait and see:D

Move The Chains
09-20-2009, 02:43 AM

Graham's defense is untested at best. They haven't played a spread offense yet. Not like Wylie or Brownwood. They have played puds that do nothing but run the ball. Get real people. You're really annoying. Was the props I have you not enough? Ever stop to think that maybe if brownwood hadn't got demolished by stephenville, they'd be one of those top tier teams? ........ and yea, I know excuses are coming.

Footballhudini
09-20-2009, 04:48 AM
anyone can beat liberty hill these days

LH Panther Mom
09-20-2009, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
anyone can beat liberty hill these days
Not Manor :p

Rabid Cougar
09-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Graham's defense is untested at best. They haven't played a spread offense yet. Not like Wylie or Brownwood.

Brownwood or Wylie hasn't faced one either.....

pirate4state
09-20-2009, 10:41 AM

:eek: :eek: :eek: Holy crap, you threw a game?! WHAT!?! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

blowfish
09-20-2009, 01:35 PM

So shall it be written....so shall it be done! :inlove:

Rocket
09-20-2009, 01:48 PM
You're really annoying. Was the props I have you not enough? Ever stop to think that maybe if brownwood hadn't got demolished by stephenville, they'd be one of those top tier teams? ........ and yea, I know excuses are coming.

No excuses... Just let us get healthy and see what happens. I'm annoying? The sun will come up tomorrow. Tell me something I don't know.

I meant Graham has not played an offense like Brownwood or Wylie is playing.

HEMOTOXIC
09-20-2009, 01:57 PM
No excuses... Just let us get healthy and see what happens. I'm annoying? The sun will come up tomorrow. Tell me something I don't know.

I meant Graham has not played an offense like Brownwood or Wylie is playing.

Mark this down:

Wylie will beat Brownwood!:D

BwdLion73
09-20-2009, 02:00 PM
We did not throw the game.....sorry :o

Move The Chains

I meant Graham has not played an offense like Brownwood or Wylie is playing. Who said anything about Graham. They're a good team. Acknowledge it. Noone said they were better than Brownwood. In case yo hadn't noticed, I DO have Brownwood ranked in the 2nd tier group (IF HEALTHY). Show me otherwise, and I'll have them in the top.

I really don't need you to tell me how good you will be if you're healthy because I've obviously already got that part figured out.

you guys can be a REALLY good team if healthy. You want me to write it again for you? :rolleyes:

Rocket
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Well Rocket are yall ever gonna get started because ever since Brownwood has come to 3A we've been waiting for it to get started(hopefully one day we will see this juggernaut you speak of.) Even if the injury bug doesnt hit ya'll in the Stephenville game, the outcome of the game goes from being a 35 pt shut out to what a 21 point loss? And lets hope the injury bug doesnt hit you in the playoffs or district because if thats the case, is your team just gonnafold up and "throw" those games too? Another things is all week , actually all year you;ve been saying how LH is way down this year, so why should ya'll get props for dominating a team that is way down? As far as games to be played in district, especially the Wylie game, we will just have to wait and see:D

The LH comments goes for all of those people that picked LH to beat Brownwood. The popular opinion on the board is that since LH beat Manor, that they would beat weaker Brownwood? LOL stupid. Not only did Brownwood win, but dominated.

Why would we throw a district game? What does Stephenville matter? LOL It was raining, refs lost control of the game, and kids were getting injured. Screw it.

Wylie has a great team, but I believe Brownwood does too. It is going ot be an awesome game on October 9th. Should be room for everybody to come watch.

Come District, we will see what Brownwood is really made of. We are winning games without our best offensive threat and some of our best defenders. I'll pick Brownwood over any team we have left to play. :)

Rocket
09-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Who said anything about Graham. They're a good team. Acknowledge it. Noone said they were better than Brownwood. In case yo hadn't noticed, I DO have Brownwood ranked in the 2nd tier group (IF HEALTHY). Show me otherwise, and I'll have them in the top.

I really don't need you to tell me how good you will be if you're healthy because I've obviously already got that part figured out.

you guys can be a REALLY good team if healthy. You want me to write it again for you? :rolleyes:

Did I quote you? I am not even talking to you. Maybe I am talking to the people that think Graham is just unbeatable. let's get real. Their defense is untested. They have not played a Spread offense. That is my point. Calm down. LOL

I know you understand Brownwood is a good team when healthy. And that time is coming when all of the players will be healthy (hopefully). We still haven't seen Shipley play. He is more than a good WR. ;)

Move The Chains
09-20-2009, 02:03 PM
I picked Brownwood to beat LH. :cool:

If Brownwood is healthy... the Wylie game will be GOOD. If not, then Wylie probably wins by 3 TD's. :)

Rocket
09-20-2009, 02:05 PM
I picked Brownwood to beat LH. :cool:

If Brownwood is healthy... the Wylie game will be GOOD. If not, then Wylie probably wins by 3 TD's. :)

Everybody will be back except our QB. But we have other weapons to utilize and the most important thing will be a healthy defense.

Longoria. Remember that name.

Move The Chains
09-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Did I quote you? I am not even talking to you. Maybe I am talking to the people that think Graham is just unbeatable. let's get real. Their defense is untested. They have not played a Spread offense. That is my point. Calm down. LOL Yes you did quote me, and you directly responded to my comments. Geez.

I'm not upset, but you directly quote me and then proceed to talk about how we are forgetting this and that about Brownwood..... when it was pretty evident that I've got them ranked pretty darn high to begin with. Probably higher than anyone here outside of the town of Brownwood.

Pick6
09-20-2009, 02:06 PM

Why would we throw a district game? What does Stephenville matter? LOL It was raining, refs lost control of the game, and kids were getting injured. Screw it.

What a lesson to teach kids, if things don't go your way, screw it, just quit.

I'd rather cheer on a 0-10 team and have smart fans than be from Brownwood and have Rocket on my side.

Move The Chains
09-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Sounds good. Maybe I'll try to make that LONG trip. :)

Rocket
09-20-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Pick6

I'd rather cheer on a 0-10 team and have smart fans than be from Brownwood and have Rocket on my side.

I'm sure that was the lesson Shipley was pushing. LOL

I didn't mean throw the game as far as tried to lose it, I meant we pulled our studs early in the third. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Rocket
09-20-2009, 02:14 PM

You are boring and not even close to being as funny as you think you are. You annoy the heck out of me as well. Just my opinion, though.

Rocket
09-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Yes you did quote me, and you directly responded to my comments. Geez.

I'm not upset, but you directly quote me and then proceed to talk about how we are forgetting this and that about Brownwood..... when it was pretty evident that I've got them ranked pretty darn high to begin with. Probably higher than anyone here outside of the town of Brownwood.

I quoted you?

UM, no I didn't.

Z-RO
09-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Didnt Graham beat yall last year? On top of that didnt they return most of their team? Just an observation...Brownwood is better this season then last, but so is Graham.

Move The Chains
09-20-2009, 02:20 PM
I quoted you?

UM, no I didn't. Ok, your original post didn't quote me, BUT... I did start this thread.... so, because you didn't quote anyone.... and I started the thread and it seemed like it was directed toward me..... I quoted you and responded. Then you DID quote me back. I replied. Then you said you weren't talking to me.

Maybe to avoid the confusion should atleast quote SOMEONE. If it's not obvious who you're talking to, the thread starter is going to assume you're talking to them. Clear as mud? :)

Rocket
09-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Ok, your original post didn't quote me, BUT... I did start this thread.... so, because you didn't quote anyone.... and I started the thread and it seemed like it was directed toward me..... I quoted you and responded. Then you DID quote me back. I replied. Then you said you weren't talking to me.

Maybe to avoid the confusion should atleast quote SOMEONE. If it's not obvious who you're talking to, the thread starter is going to assume you're talking to them. Clear as mud? :)

I addressed everyone. You people... LOL

It's all good man..interesting observations on 3A.

Rocket
09-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Z-RO
Didnt Graham beat yall last year? On top of that didnt they return most of their team? Just an observation...Brownwood is better this season then last, but so is Graham.

LOL...who didn't beat us last year?

La Vega and LH beat us last year too..what's your point?

Move The Chains
09-20-2009, 02:34 PM
LOL...who didn't beat us last year?

La Vega and LH beat us last year too..what's your point? True to an extent... but LH and LaVega aren't as good as they were. Graham, on the other hand is better, like Brownwood. Key difference. That one should be a good game.

Rocket
09-20-2009, 02:50 PM
True to an extent... but LH and LaVega aren't as good as they were. Graham, on the other hand is better, like Brownwood. Key difference. That one should be a good game.

Are the teams that Graham is beating worse than last year? LOL

Yup.

Z-RO
09-20-2009, 03:29 PM
How many of those teams Graham has beat this season beat them last season. Like you said "who didn't beat us last year" the same can be said for Graham, with the exception that they beat yall with pretty much the same group they have together this season.

Granted you guys have a new coach and WR (a stud at that), but is that addition enough to over come Graham this season? Remember yall lost several D1 players.

Im not saying it is impossible, just dont think it is a gimmy like you expect.

However, Wylie is still the class of the district until proven otherwise.

Z-RO
09-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Are the teams that Graham is beating worse than last year? LOL

Yup.

Nope, Iowa Park is a lot better. Argyle only beat IP by a TD, and Graham donkey stomped them. From what I have seen Iowa Park is my favorite to win that district. I reserve my right to change that perdiction until I see more out of Decatur.

Z-RO
09-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Correction...Iowa Park is my favorite to win that district

BwdLions
09-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Iowa park is not a good football team. In fact, every team in I.P.'s district is down this year, so saying that they will win the district is not saying much.

Rocket
09-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Graham has been playing puds all season. My argument is that they haven't played anybody that will actually make any noise. The spread offense in 3A gives a team an edge offensively if they can execute it. Then they are playing teams that are run heavy. Brownwood has at least played Burnet. A pass first team. I am sure Graham is alot better, but their secondary has not been tested. I want to see how they do against a team that can actually pass the ball.

I have a feeling you will see alot of McCoy to Shipley when Brownwood and Graham play. That is Shipley intercepting McCoy. LOL

BILLYFRED0000
09-21-2009, 11:59 AM
One obvious thing to note. It is very early in the season yet. District is around the corner. Many have not played any of their peers and it is difficult to tell exactly how good or bad they will be in 3a. Gilmer is the stand out in my mind with AW next but after that it is a little muddier. I plan to see a little more play in district with most of these teams.

RedWhiteBlue
09-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
One obvious thing to note. It is very early in the season yet. District is around the corner. Many have not played any of their peers and it is difficult to tell exactly how good or bad they will be in 3a.
I totally agree with THIS... :)

shamu85
09-21-2009, 12:06 PM
I think Wylie is better than Gilmer, but I haven't seen either of them play, so that's not a really educated opinion, but it's my opinion nonetheless. I also think Prosper is possibly the 3rd best team in the state. Their D has been playing very well.

markp08
09-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Wylie is disciplined (as usual) and can run or throw the ball.

I asked a staff member Sunday at church if we really looked that good against LaVega or if he thought LaVega just didn't play well. His response was "both", but he thought we created a lot of their misfortunes. The first teamers didn't play the second half. Our first team D has not had a touchdown scored on them yet this season.

Wylie has a lot of room to improve. I expect them to get better as the season progresses. We're not there yet. All of the attention and flattery is nice, but as a fan, I think we have a lot to improve on.

I think a healthy Brownwood or Graham could give us a really tough test at this point. So could Monahans, another strong team from our region.

LE Dad
09-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by ProudHornetMom
Whew...thank you. I know I feel better knowing the pecking order. :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

PHOP
09-21-2009, 12:18 PM
No respect for the defending champs eh? Prosper's "D" is one of the best in the state if not the best. Offense improves each week.

No problem we will sneak up on ya just like last year.

LE Dad
09-21-2009, 12:22 PM

Even with a Soph QB, Brownwood is going to give Wylie EVERYTHING they can handle and Brownwood will have a strong chance to win. Brownwoo may have a D
but Wylie has a W. Imo which I am sure is shared by most.:D

:rolleyes: LOL

LE Dad
09-21-2009, 12:28 PM

I'd rather cheer on a 0-10 team and have smart fans than be from Brownwood and have Rocket on my side. :clap: :clap: :clap:

:cool:

Rocket
09-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by markp08

I asked a staff member Sunday at church if we really looked that good against LaVega or if he thought LaVega just didn't play well. His response was "both", but he thought we created a lot of their misfortunes. The first teamers didn't play the second half. Our first team D has not had a touchdown scored on them yet this season.

Wylie has a lot of room to improve. I expect them to get better as the season progresses. We're not there yet. All of the attention and flattery is nice, but as a fan, I think we have a lot to improve on.

I think a healthy Brownwood or Graham could give us a really tough test at this point. So could Monahans, another strong team from our region.

October 9th is gonna be fun.

LE Dad
09-21-2009, 12:47 PM

#1 Gilmer
#2 A. Wylie

Then theres:

And then theres:

Then:

Everyone else I chose to quote you rather than to reply to you. Either way this would be directed to you since you started this thread. I think everyone understands that:thinking: :rolleyes:

As of right now you are correct. Probably a few ppl will get upset with your statement but I can see your point.

:clap: :clap:

Rocket
09-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
I chose to quote you rather than to reply to you. Either way this would be directed to you since you started this thread. I think everyone understands that:thinking: :rolleyes:

This is how I addressed that post. I was referring to Chains and all that had posted since then. I guess this is way over your head to understand.

So every post in a thread, if not quoted, automatically refers back to the original post on the thread? LOL Never heard that rule. Then again, you are...

http://brownwoodlions.com/myspace/simpledad.jpg

markp08
09-21-2009, 01:12 PM
October 9th is gonna be fun.

Is it too early to reserve my seat in the stadium down there? :D

LE Dad
09-21-2009, 01:14 PM
This is how I addressed that post. I was referring to Chains and all that had posted since then. I guess this is way over your head to understand.

So every post in a thread, if not quoted, automatically refers back to the original post on the thread? LOL Never heard that rule. Then again, you are...

http://brownwoodlions.com/myspace/simpledad.jpg LOL Rocket you still riding your one trick pony? Hit GP up maybe he will give you a new pic to play with. It's not a rule. It's a function on the screen. Anyway I wasn't talking to you LOL

Nah bro it's all good. Brownwood played well Friday. Just had to yank your chain

:D :D

Rocket
09-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
LOL Rocket you still riding your one trick pony? Hit GP up maybe he will give you a new pic to play with. It's not a rule. It's a function on the screen. Anyway I wasn't talking to you LOL

Nah bro it's all good. Brownwood played well Friday. Just had to yank your chain

:D :D

You can use that pic for your signature if you make a donation. I think it would be appropriate that you did make a donation after all the posting and bandwidth you are using up. :rolleyes: :D

LE Dad
09-21-2009, 01:31 PM
You can use that pic for your signature if you make a donation. I think it would be appropriate that you did make a donation after all the posting and bandwidth you are using up. :rolleyes: :D LOL I plan on donating. Got to get access to that super secret, donating. Member forum Lol. I got my own idea for signature. That pic can go back on your wall, nothing like that memory of first love :inlove:

shamu85
09-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Hopefully to refocus tis thread....my tiered rankings

Tier 1
Wylie
Gilmer

Tier 2
Navasota
Giddings
Prosper
Cuero
Monahans
Carthage

Tier 3
Mexia
Bellville
Ingleside
Sealy

Move The Chains
09-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by shamu85
Hopefully to refocus tis thread....my tiered rankings

Tier 1
Wylie
Gilmer

Tier 2
Navasota
Giddings
Prosper
Cuero
Monahans
Carthage

Tier 3
Mexia
Bellville
Ingleside
Sealy Finally someone replies with thoughts of their own. :clap:

Z-RO
09-21-2009, 05:22 PM
This isn’t a knock on the wood, but I am just curious about a few things. Last season you guys had a very good offense, with no defense....at all. I know we have yet to see Shipley (who is an obvious difference maker) but what has changed from last season to make anybody believe you guys are any better? (Honest question). I personally believe if you guys can stay in 3A next season that will be the year you guys make a serious run.

You guys beat Burnet in a shootout, congratulations on that win. However, who have they played to make that look like a quality win? Please do not try to justify a win over big bad Liberty Hill either (no disrespect intended towards LH, I understand you guys are in a rebuilding year).

Rocket
09-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Well my philosophy is this. In 3A, if you can stop the run, you can win. LH, Wylie, and Celina have proven that. Also, if you can effectively execute the spread offense, you can go far as well in 3A. IMHO, 3A is about 4-5 years behind overall in offense. You have way too many one dimensional run offenses. It's quite ridiculous. They put all their eggs in one basket. 3As that can stop the run and pass the ball well are gonna do well. Last year we could pass the ball, but we couldn't stop nothing. 3A secondaries overall are slow and they don't know how to handle spread offenses. AND the average 3A team may see a spread offense 3 times a year. It's hard to adjust when you are used to having to stop the run most of the time.

Brownwood has some good players on both sides of the ball. They are young, but they are getting some great coaching and growing up fast. You are right about next year. If we can just get it together, get healthy, and make the playoffs, we will make a serious run THIS year. Next year, we will be Top 3. Guaranteed. I would say we are Top 5 now. That's just me.

BwdLion73
09-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Z-RO, I'm not the expert and have no secret inside information that many seem to have, however the biggest change I have seen is in the Coaching to the kids that seems to have gave them an attitude of we can do it as a team.
When you see 5 or 6 starters on the sidelines cheering and high fiveing their back-ups it gives you a sense of a team together with a leader teaching them they can do it.
You could be onto something when you talk of next years team...however I like the looks of this one also.

Daddy D 11
09-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Well my philosophy is this. In 3A, if you can stop the run, you can win. LH, Wylie, and Celina have proven that. Also, if you can effectively execute the spread offense, you can go far as well in 3A. IMHO, 3A is about 4-5 years behind overall in offense. You have way too many one dimensional run offenses. It's quite ridiculous. They put all their eggs in one basket. 3As that can stop the run and pass the ball well are gonna do well. Last year we could pass the ball, but we couldn't stop nothing. 3A secondaries overall are slow and they don't know how to handle spread offenses. AND the average 3A team may see a spread offense 3 times a year. It's hard to adjust when you are used to having to stop the run most of the time.

Brownwood has some good players on both sides of the ball. They are young, but they are getting some great coaching and growing up fast. You are right about next year. If we can just get it together, get healthy, and make the playoffs, we will make a serious run THIS year. Next year, we will be Top 3. Guaranteed. I would say we are Top 5 now. That's just me.

Very good post Rocket. I'm digging the small amount of modesty and humility. There wasn't any outrageous claims in there:clap:

Rocket
09-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Very good post Rocket. I'm digging the small amount of modesty and humility. There wasn't any outrageous claims in there:clap:

Of course! That's my style. Some truth to it as well. I'm not sure about Carthage and Prosper, but tell me what do they run on offense and who did they beat? Run Heavies...

orange machine
09-21-2009, 09:25 PM

Its obvious that Brownwood has not played any east Tx teams. Your speed comment holds no weight when it comes to east tx teams. I think when you play most east tx teams you better have a smash mouth runing game because there defenses are very fast and much faster than most west tx teams.

Looking4number8
09-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
Z-RO, I'm not the expert and have no secret inside information that many seem to have, however the biggest change I have seen is in the Coaching to the kids that seems to have gave them an attitude of we can do it as a team.
When you see 5 or 6 starters on the sidelines cheering and high fiveing their back-ups it gives you a sense of a team together with a leader teaching them they can do it.
You could be onto something when you talk of next years team...however I like the looks of this one also.

Agreed 100%

garciap77
09-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by markp08

Don't forget Snyder. You can't count them out.

Old Green
09-21-2009, 11:22 PM

http://brownwoodlions.com/myspace/simpledad.jpg Never heard that rule either.:confused:

lostaussie
09-22-2009, 07:13 AM
Of course! That's my style. Some truth to it as well. I'm not sure about Carthage and Prosper, but tell me what do they run on offense and who did they beat? Run Heavies... Carthage runs the spread and ran it all the way to a state championship. They probably were 50/50 on offense last year but the 50 on the run side was devestating with RB Dwight Smith. But yes they can throw very, very effectively.

Rocket
09-22-2009, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by orange machine
Its obvious that Brownwood has not played any east Tx teams. Your speed comment holds no weight when it comes to east tx teams. I think when you play most east tx teams you better have a smash mouth runing game because there defenses are very fast and much faster than most west tx teams.

Speed is fine. The balanced attack is a must. You will not win if you do not run the ball effectively as well. You will have an edge if you have a great spread attack. Not real worried about speed. Is the speedy defense well coached and in position to make a play? A 10 yard pass play to 1 open receiver out of 4 in the spread offense is what I am talking about. Speed is no match for this. Brownwood has speed, power, pass, and run.

Rocket
09-22-2009, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Carthage runs the spread and ran it all the way to a state championship. They probably were 50/50 on offense last year but the 50 on the run side was devestating with RB Dwight Smith. But yes they can throw very, very effectively.

That is what I figured. The spread beat the run.

Move The Chains
09-22-2009, 09:09 AM
That is what I figured. The spread beat the run. LH won 37???? straight games including 2 state championships using run only. :thinking:

Rocket
09-22-2009, 09:48 AM
LH won 37???? straight games including 2 state championships using run only. :thinking:

Yes. I am not saying that the Spread will guarantee a State Championship, but it will definitely give a team an edge (if they can execute it).

One thing that LH could do is stop the run. They had a special group of athletes that started with a bunch of underclassmen in 2006 that carried them for 3 strong years. LH is a special case. LH was more like a BIG PLAY run offense. They had some beasts on the O-Line and some quick RB's and they had the Slot T. It was hard to stop because it was deceptive and it was executed to perfection. I don't have faith that the success they had will be duplicated in the next 10 years or EVER for that matter. It was a perfect storm scenario, and the storm has passed. Shipley knew exactly how to stop that Slot T mess. The offense that is. Unless they had the studs from the last 3 years, it was ineffective.

Trust me... If teams stay run only, they will be at a definite disadvantage. In 4A, one dimensional teams that are run only eventually get beat. It may be the State Championship game, but I think 3A is starting to see the same trend that 4A has seen. One dimensional is no good. Effective passing systems out of the spread in 3A are lethal. You will see more teams transitioning to Spread offense soon. This Wing T, Wishbone, and Run Only stuff is not gonna get it done anymore.

Does anybody know the last time a 4A Run Only won it all? I know Waco High in 2006 made it to the Finals and got beat. They couldn't pass to save their life, but they had a crazy defense as well and they had studs all over the place on offense, they were also a borderline 5A.

How many 5A Run Only teams exist? Not many. Why is that? Size and Speed. The run only will be stopped. 8-9 in the box with 5A Size and Speed equals 11 man pile up. Not saying it is across the board, saying that the Top Tier Teams in 5A will not be Run Only.

If you are run only, 2 things have to happen every game to win. You have to score early and often and you have to stay ahead. Mistakes can kill you. If you get behind, your run only offense will kill the clock. If you are down by 14, it can really kill you.

This season, La Vega is getting behind in ball games and they are toast. Liberty Hill the same way. When they have to pass, it is laughable. I guess they are waiting on the next group of studs to come through instead of relying on a system to win them games.

Move The Chains
09-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Nice post Rocket :clap:

Finally something that makes sense. :p ;) :D