PDA

View Full Version : Stafford is 3-0?

shamu85
09-18-2009, 03:09 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/6624846.html

Not saying they will be a contender, but I always wondered if a coach there could get all that basketball talent to come out for football, whether they might be a whole lot better.

Move The Chains
09-18-2009, 03:13 PM
They were alot better last year than they usually were. They've got some good athletes. Not much of a defense or system though. They just kinda run around and let their players decide what happens. I think they've been playing some really WEAK competition this year so far leading to 3-0 based solely on better athletes.

shamu85
09-18-2009, 03:19 PM
I agree about the weak competition, but I also agree that they have now, and always have had, good athletes there. They just seem to be such a basketball school. I wonder how good they could be if they did get a really good football coach with backing of the AD.

Move The Chains
09-18-2009, 03:23 PM
I think they could be very good. They've got better athletes than any team in D 26 except Brookshire.... but those are the 2 that consistently don't make the playoffs. LOL.

Blackcat1954
09-18-2009, 03:58 PM
They are 2-0

Their game against Hitchcock was not completed with Spartans up 23-20. Bulldog coach Gary Carney is not considering it a loss.

Hitchcock is 0-1 Their first game was not completed either

HITCHCOCK — With less than nine minutes remaining in the game and his Bulldogs trailing by three, quarterback Morris Tuck was confident he could lead Hitchcock down the field for a game-winning drive against the Stafford Spartans on Friday.

However, Tuck and the Bulldogs found out that it’s hard to light up a scoreboard when there is no power at the stadium.

A driver backed his pickup into a power pole outside Bulldog Stadium, blowing three transformers and putting the field into complete darkness. After 30 minutes, officials called the game.

Hitchcock was trailing 23-20 at the time of the power outage, but the game will not count in the official standings because it is a nondistrict contest.

“There was no doubt in my mind that we were going to score on that drive,” Tuck said, laughing at the situation. “I felt like we were really clicking. The rain had stopped. Everything felt right. We just got thrown a curveball with nine minutes left. But that’s life I guess.”

Despite a light rain throughout most of the game, Tuck had been on fire before the transformers blew out. He was 20-for-31 passing for 274 yards. He also had three rushing touchdowns.

“We were executing on everything offense tonight,” Tuck said. “We were finally clicking, and that was a good feeling.”

The performance was especially impressive, since Stafford was clearly the bigger, deeper and faster squad.

Hitchcock coach Gary Carney said that had his team feeling good about the night, even though they were trailing when the lights went out.

“That team we were facing had 30 seniors and were suiting up about 40 kids,” Carney said. “We only suited up 22 and we started eight sophomore and three freshman. If you consider all that, I thought it was a good night for us. We still made a lot of young mistakes, but our goal in nondistrict is to keep getting better every week. I think we did that tonight.”

The game was back-and-forth from the very start. Stafford’s Philip Pete scored the first of his two touchdowns on a 35-yard run on the Spartans’ first drive of the game.

Tuck responded by marching the Bulldogs up the field, and then scoring on a 3-yard run up the middle. The extra point was blocked, keeping the score tied at 6-6.

Pete had a 49-yard touchdown run three plays later, but Hitchcock came back in the second quarter, when Tuck scored on a 2-yard run.

Stafford settled for a 23-yard field goal on its first drive of the third quarter. That 16-13 lead held until the fourth quarter, when Tuck completed an 88-yard drive with another 1-yard scoring run.

“Morris had an awesome game tonight,” Carney said. “I was real pleased with the way he was executing the offense.”

However, Stafford was able to score the go-ahead points on a 25-yard run by quarterback Boris Anyama.

Hitchcock was facing a second-and-6 from its own 24-yard line when the sparks started flying from the transformers and the lights suddenly went out.

Bryan Smith finished the game with 84 yards receiving for Hitchcock. He also had several big hits on defense.

Dawayne Barnes (84 yards receiving) and Darius Dotson (30 yards rushing, 34 yards receiving) also factored into the Bulldogs’ strong night offensively.

Defensively, Hitchcock allowed 222 yards rushing. Devon Molis had an interception deep in Hitchcock territory, which stopped a Stafford drive.

Hitchcock is back on the road next week, when it travels to Anahuac. The contest will be the Bulldogs final one before district play begins for them on Oct. 9.

“I think this game is something we can build on,” Carney said. “I’m proud of the effort our kids showed. Hopefully, we can keep this up for the rest of the season.”