PDA

View Full Version : Correct me if I am wrong

blowfish
09-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Michael Crabtree was selected 10th in the draft, but he wants to be paid more than the 7th pick Darrius Heyward-Bey. He is threatening to hold out all year and re-enter the draft. If I am a GM in the NFL there is no way I would draft him next year in the first or second round. So isnt he being stupid to lose all of that money he could get at #10 vs. where ever he is drafted next year?

Of course I am sure some stupid GM would pick him in the first round. Most likely that is wha they are counting on.

TheDOCTORdre
09-18-2009, 02:27 PM
my thinking is if Crabtree and his agent go through with sitting out this season tehn I'm led to believe that they might have an "ace in the hole" so to speak...there maybe a team that has a GM who knows in all reality that their team is in a rebuilding stage or weak state and believes they will have a Top 10 pick and have told Crabtree and agent they will take them with a pick...but thats a stupid plan IMO

waterboy
09-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Yes, he is being stupid. Even if he does re-enter the draft his stock has dropped significantly. Nobody will want to waste their draft pick on him if he is going to be obtuse and make outrageous demands. How does somebody turn down millions of dollars like that? Beats the heck out of me.......unless you're stupid!

blowfish
09-18-2009, 02:28 PM
I am just wondering if his injury is worse then we think?

big daddy russ
09-18-2009, 02:30 PM
I think Crabtree invoked the "Al Davis Clause" in this one.

sec 1 art 9
Any player drafted by Al Davis doesn't really count, therefore all draftees (especially those who play the same position as an earlier draftee by Davis) deserve more money than their draft position would typically indicate. Also, Davis' draft picks occur anywhere from 1-9 on your average yearly basis, so this clause affects 99% of those players drafted.

ADDENDUM
We vote to raise funds to research senility and mental handicaps associated with old age.

Z-RO
09-18-2009, 02:58 PM
So isnt there supposed to be some kind of rookie cap next season as well?

westtxfballfan
09-18-2009, 03:02 PM
I don't think the rookie salary cap is going to be in effect after all, but yes, Crabtree's stupid.

The irony will be when Al Davis inexplicably uses his 1st round pick on him next year like he used his 2nd round pick this year on a guy who wasn't on anyone else's draft board at all.