PDA

View Full Version : Could Tebow go down as the greatest NCAA player of all-time?

big daddy russ
09-18-2009, 02:01 PM
If he wins another title and/or Heisman, is he the greatest ever?

On one hand, Archie Griffin's the only man to ever win two Heismans, but Bo Jackson are Herschel Walker are generally considered "greater" RB's than Archie.

On the other hand, we haven't seen a QB have this much success since Tommie Frazier. And right now, there are a ton of people who consider Frazier the greatest of all time.

Give us your opinion along with why you think the way you do.

Emerson1
09-18-2009, 02:28 PM
System QB

BleedOrange
09-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Tommie Frazier - Nebraska. 3 national championship games with 2 wins. Turned around the program that was stagnant before his arrival.

BleedOrange
09-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by BleedOrange
Tommie Frazier - Nebraska. 3 national championship games with 2 wins. Turned around the program that was stagnant before his arrival.

I am only talking about QB's. I think Herschel Walker was greatest college player.

Move The Chains
09-18-2009, 02:32 PM
nvm.

blowfish
09-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Tebow is a gimmick quarterback. Not even the first of his kind. They will drool all over him in the draft and 4 years later we will hear him quietly be released by the team that picked him #1.

shamu85
09-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Tebow is a great athlete and football player, but I don't really think of him as a great QB for some reason. Maybe it's that awkward look that left-handers have.

TheDOCTORdre
09-18-2009, 02:38 PM
I think people may be confusing greatest with most accomplished player...If Tebow gets another Heisman and/or national championship then he will be the most accomplished college player of all time but not the greatest

Move The Chains
09-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I think people may be confusing greatest with most accomplished player...If Tebow gets another Heisman and/or national championship then he will be the most accomplished college player of all time but not the greatest Thats'the wording I was looking for. I just erased and put nvm because once I read what I put and saw how I voted.... I felt like an idiot. Tebow is definitely not the "best" player but may end up being the most accomplished.

big daddy russ
09-18-2009, 03:02 PM
I think people may be confusing greatest with most accomplished player...If Tebow gets another Heisman and/or national championship then he will be the most accomplished college player of all time but not the greatest
That's true. Frazier never won a Heisman. Neither did Sammy Baugh (finished fourth his senior year). Herschel and Bo only won one apiece and only half the players on this list ever won a title.

On the other hand, remember that Frazier was a system QB who got his reputation in large part from coming up big on the biggest stage. Frazier had three MVP's in three NC games. Tebow has one right now, and always seems to come up with the big play at the right time.

UPanIN
09-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Bo knows

:2thumbsup

lostaussie
09-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
If he wins another title and/or Heisman, is he the greatest ever?

On one hand, Archie Griffin's the only man to ever win two Heismans, but Bo Jackson are Herschel Walker are generally considered "greater" RB's than Archie.

On the other hand, we haven't seen a QB have this much success since Tommie Frazier. And right now, there are a ton of people who consider Frazier the greatest of all time.

Give us your opinion along with why you think the way you do. no.........because that distinction goes to one Vincent Young:D. Man, I just had to go there:doh:

eagles_victory
09-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
no.........because that distinction goes to one Vincent Young:D. Man, I just had to go there:doh: Hes one of the greatest thats for sure call me a homer but id take him over Tebow

gatordaze
09-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Since it is an impossible question to answer the real measure would be statistical. I would be willing to bet that if you took all of the measurable statistics for rushing and passing and ranked the top 10 in each that Tebow would have the highest aggregate ranking of all players.

Does that make him the best player of all time? I don't know.

All I know is that if I win rock paper scissors and get to pick first I don't want the other guy to get him.

BwdLions
09-18-2009, 04:25 PM
I don't think I could pick a #1 college QB. Here's some that I think are some of the best:

John Elway - Stanford
Sammy Baugh - TCU
Charlie Ward - Florida State
Archie Manning - Ole Miss
Tommie Frazier - Nebraska
Vince Young - Texas
Matt Leinart - USC
Roger Staubach - Navy
Jim Plunkett - Stanford
Doug Flutie - Boston College
Peyton Manning - Tennessee
Jamelle Holieway - Zero U
Donavan McNabb - Syracuse
Major Harris - West Virginia
Ty Detmer - BYU
Ken Dorsey - Miami
Danny Wuerffel - Florida
Tim Tebow - Florida

EAGLETOWN
09-18-2009, 04:27 PM

I think Tebow’s NCAA greatness will not be judged on his College career, but what he is able to do in the pros.

Jordan was an accomplished college player, but after his professional career he became the greatest basketball player of all time.

Only time will tell.

How many NCAA one and done's have come along that were to be the greatest of all time.

DDBooger
09-18-2009, 04:29 PM
I don't even think Tebow goes 1st round, at least not as a qb.

EAGLETOWN
09-18-2009, 04:36 PM

I believe with the technology today that athletes are way more advanced than years past.

For a player to dominate the game like he does or even like VY did puts them out there at the college level with some of the greatest of all time.

How many one and done great player have come along over the years?

I think Tebow’s greatness will not be judged on his College career, but what he is able to do in the pros.

Jordan was an accomplished college player, but after his professional career he became the greatest basketball player of all time.

Is Tebow that good?

I guess time will tell.

jockcity33
09-18-2009, 04:40 PM
no.........because that distinction goes to one Vincent Young:D. Man, I just had to go there:doh:

Yea he is just like someone else has said Tebow will do, be taken in the top of the first round and then quietly released 4 or 5 years later.

Old Tiger
09-18-2009, 04:48 PM
No...guys like Jim Thorpe, Red Grange, Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders, Tommie Frazier, and Sammy Baugh are far away better IMO. That is not to say he won't go down as the best leader in NCAA history but as a player no way.

big daddy russ
09-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by EAGLETOWN
I think Tebow’s greatness will not be judged on his College career, but what he is able to do in the pros.
Great college players don't always translate to the pros. Some of the greatest college players of all time include Danny Wuerffel, Tommie Frazier, Charlie Ward, Archie Griffin, Larry Kelley, etc, etc. None of the above did anything at the pro level, and only Griffin was taken in the first round of the NFL Draft.

Tebow will probably be the same and will likely fall out of the first round, but that takes nothing away from what he's doing at this level of football.

WildTexan972
09-18-2009, 07:08 PM
no.........because that distinction goes to one Vincent Young:D. Man, I just had to go there:doh:

total nfl wasteoid is not even the greatest wHorn to go to steer licker U......much less in college history.....the kid had 1 good season and has been a crying psycho ever since.....VY - the future suicide poster child....

and then there was ricky williams wearing wedding dresses....that dope you scumbags do down in austin must be messed up bad....

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-19-2009, 01:57 PM
I can't believe that people are calling Tebow a system quarterback and then saying that Vince Young is one of the best of all time. Wow, shows how much you guys really know about football.

Keith7
09-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by EAGLETOWN
I think Tebow’s NCAA greatness will not be judged on his College career, but what he is able to do in the pros.

Only time will tell.

How many NCAA one and done's have come along that were to be the greatest of all time.

lol yes Tebow legacy as the best NCAA player of all time will be judged by what he does in the PROS :doh: