PDA

View Full Version : Question for Officials

GrTigers6
09-18-2009, 05:59 AM
Last night in our JV game, the referee called offsetting penalties. offsides on the defense and false start on the offense. How in the world can that ever happen. Its either one or the other. Right?:confused: :doh:

Chopblock
09-18-2009, 06:07 AM
He didnt't have a clue is the problem, kinda like last nite in our game, Ref penalized Def holding on a receiver to the spot of the foul, was a 29 yd penalty

GrTigers6
09-18-2009, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Chopblock
He didnt't have a clue is the problem, kinda like last nite in our game, Ref penalized Def holding on a receiver to the spot of the foul, was a 29 yd penalty Yeah the sad thing is its not the first time i have seen them call that. At least once a year.:doh:

kaorder1999
09-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Last night in our JV game, the referee called offsetting penalties. offsides on the defense and false start on the offense. How in the world can that ever happen. Its either one or the other. Right?:confused: :doh:

ive seen that called on more than one occasion

kaorder1999
09-18-2009, 09:14 AM
A receiver could move for the false start while at the same time a DLineman can be lined up in the neutral zone...thats one example maybe

GreenMonster
09-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Two weeks in a row now (once varsity and once JV) my team has been the victim of a "fantom" penalty in the waning moments that changed the outcome of the game. Last week the varsity was flagged for unsportsman like conduct down 2 with 1:48 to play and the opponent backed up to their own 6 inch line. No foul language was used and the kid was talking to his own teammates. All of the momentum was on our side until this call and it iced the game for our opponent. White hat catches us after the game before heading to his car to apologize and let us know how embarrassed the rest of his crew was for that one guy's bad call. Then last night in JV game it's 4th down about 1 minute on the clock and they throw an incomplete pass which would have ended the game. We get flagged for helmet to helmet contact on the QB who was being drug down from behind by my nose guard. Flag wasn't thrown until the ref had the chance to see the outcome of the play. 15 yards later from the 6 our opponent finally completes a pass for TD with 10 seconds left on 4th down again. I hate it when referees forget that they are only a small part of the game and that the kids should determine who wins and who loses. Keep those flags in your pockets late in the game unless there is an extremely blatant penalty that hinders the opposing team from having their own chance to win.

GrTigers6
09-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
A receiver could move for the false start while at the same time a DLineman can be lined up in the neutral zone...thats one example maybe Yeah but doesnt it still come down to who moved first?

kaorder1999
09-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Yeah but doesnt it still come down to who moved first?

well...the defender could have just lined up in the neutral zone and never have moved....OR.....one official could have seen the offsides and another official could have seen the illegal motion and not known who moved first.... still a weird...odd deal

STAggie
09-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Last night in our 7th grade game we had a blocking downfield call on a pass that went for a td. Problem was our guy fired off and blocked his man 5 yards downfield and we were flagged for it. Was a horrible call and the official on our side couldn't believe it was called in a 7th grade game. Had nothing to do with play. It was a back side guard away from the play.

kaorder1999
09-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by STAggie
Last night in our 7th grade game we had a blocking downfield call on a pass that went for a td. Problem was our guy fired off and blocked his man 5 yards downfield and we were flagged for it. Was a horrible call and the official on our side couldn't believe it was called in a 7th grade game. Had nothing to do with play. It was a back side guard away from the play.

better to have it called in 7th grade so they can learn from it!! lol

Farmersfan
09-18-2009, 01:06 PM
well...the defender could have just lined up in the neutral zone and never have moved....OR.....one official could have seen the offsides and another official could have seen the illegal motion and not known who moved first.... still a weird...odd deal

Doesn't seem like that is possible. If the defense is lined up offsides it isn't a penalty until the ball is snapped. Calling a false start on the offense means the offensive player moved "BEFORE" the ball was snapped. The play never happened so they could not catch the defense lined up offsides. One play cancels out the other.
I have always had a problem with off-setting penalties on a really big play for the offense or defense. A penalty should not BENEFIT a team yet if they call off-setting penalties on a play that goes 75 yards for a TD it is a huge penalty to the offense and a huge benefit for the defense. If they have off-setting penalties the play should count rather than being played over. At least that way the benefit or non-benefit is decided by the action on the field and not by referees.

STAggie
09-18-2009, 01:12 PM
better to have it called in 7th grade so they can learn from it!! lol

:D I understand but at the same time our kid was like coach I was just blocking him. It was huge for our kid to finally make a good clean block and he was penalized for it. Oh well we still pulled it out in the end and that was only 1 of 2 penalties.

kaorder1999
09-18-2009, 01:22 PM

i dont remember the circumstances but I have seen it called on a friday night before....

blowfish
09-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Doesn't seem like that is possible. If the defense is lined up offsides it isn't a penalty until the ball is snapped. Calling a false start on the offense means the offensive player moved "BEFORE" the ball was snapped. The play never happened so they could not catch the defense lined up offsides. One play cancels out the other.
I have always had a problem with off-setting penalties on a really big play for the offense or defense. A penalty should not BENEFIT a team yet if they call off-setting penalties on a play that goes 75 yards for a TD it is a huge penalty to the offense and a huge benefit for the defense. If they have off-setting penalties the play should count rather than being played over. At least that way the benefit or non-benefit is decided by the action on the field and not by referees.

:iagree:

shamu85
09-18-2009, 02:03 PM
I have a question. Last week in Georgetown's embarrassing loss to Austin Anderson, we scored on a long pass/run play. However, there was a block in the back AFTER the ball carrier crossed the end zone and the TD signal was made. Then, there was a little dustup between two opposing players where they also threw a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. They eventually ruled offsetting penalties after all penalties were signaled by the referee, and the TD stood. So, I am guessing the block in the back was a dead ball foul? How should this have been ruled?

TexMike
09-18-2009, 04:41 PM
1 - Re the offsetting on false start and offside: It is possibloe but I do not think I have ever seen it happen or called. A possible example, Left DE jumps across the NZ and makes contact at the same exact moment a OT on the offense's left side , jumps. Sounds like the crew could not decide who did what first so elected to go with offsetting. Things like this probably happen way too much in subvarsity games. (And as someone pointed out, just being in the NZ or across it is not a foul by the defense. Ball has to be snapped, or they make contact, or they cause an opponent to react by false starting)

2 - re the offsetting after a TD Sounds like they did it right. The first foul was after the score so the score would stand. All the fouls after that will offset , even if one team commits more than 1 dead ball foul.

grahampaw
09-18-2009, 06:20 PM
maybe it was an illegal formation on the offense( same signal as falsestart) and offsides on the defense. this is most likely what happened.

TexMike
09-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Could not have been that. Illegal formation is not a foul until the ball is snapped. Sounds like there were 2 dead ball fouls here and illegal formation is a live ball foul.