PDA

View Full Version : Seems there is one of these every year

turbostud
09-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Link (http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=989089)

Cowboy_Up
09-16-2009, 06:09 PM
You ask kids to show up on time, work in the off season, practice hard and play hard. You tell them it doesn't matter if you’re a starter or not, you never know when your time will come and everyone needs to be ready to practice hard and step up and play hard. Good coaches manage programs where everyone from the water boys and ball boys to the last player on the squad gets after and does it right.
Then you get in a game against someone who doesn't do any of those things and you tell your 3rd string to not play hard?
I don't think so. You play hard always because that is how you honor the game AND your opponent.
The subs who bust their butts in practice everyday deserve a chance to play for real when they get in a game.
You don't want to get beat 0-83, don't quit.

GrTigers6
09-16-2009, 07:19 PM
We beat carter riverside 83-2 about 5 years ago. But we had a running clock and lineman playing running back and running backs on the line. Thier players just didn't want play. I saw some actually move out of the way instead of trying to make the tackle. Sometimes they just dont care and there is nothing you can do about it.

Tiger Turtle
09-17-2009, 08:02 AM
I believe it was '95 when Sealy beat Waco Robinson 83-6 in the playoffs at Bowers. It was a game when everything went right for Sealy and everything went wrong for Robinson. Robinson's players seemed to lose interest about the middle of the second quarter, especially on defense. Sealy played 8 freshmen on defense the whole second half (everybody except the MLB and two safeties) and mostly their JV on offense. Sometimes you just can't seem to stop the score from mounting. After the game, Robinson's coach said his team wasn't focused during the week due to it being a holiday and they played like it.

TheDOCTORdre
09-17-2009, 03:19 PM
You always read about how losses like these embarass the team and yeah I'm sure it is, I mean I dont know the exact feeling but in my opinion it would be way more embarassing for a team to be down by a good margin and have the other team just kneel it for three downs and punt every offensive possession.

blowfish
09-17-2009, 07:46 PM
I remember a long time ago (20 + years ago) there was a rule that once you reached a specific point spread, lets say 5 touchdowns, that the other team got the ball on their twenty. If they failed to score before turning it over on downs they kept the ball but started back on the 20.

I just dont see many flaws in that rule. If the teams scores the are below the 5 touchdown spread and the other team gets to play offense.

Brahma84
09-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Not high school, but Stephen F. Austin beat Texas College 92-0 last week.

coach
09-18-2009, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Brahma84
Not high school, but Stephen F. Austin beat Texas College 92-0 last week.

texas college might as well have been a hs team

Z-RO
09-18-2009, 01:18 AM
Honest opinion: Do you guys feel like the author of this article was bashing the winning coach/team or the other team/coach? After a few opinions I will tell you why I asked this.;)

Rabid Cougar
09-18-2009, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by blowfish
I remember a long time ago (20 + years ago) there was a rule that once you reached a specific point spread, lets say 5 touchdowns, that the other team got the ball on their twenty. If they failed to score before turning it over on downs they kept the ball but started back on the 20.

I just dont see many flaws in that rule. If the teams scores the are below the 5 touchdown spread and the other team gets to play offense.

6 Man has the 45 point rule at the half but there has not never been a mercy rule in Texas High School 11 man football.
A running clock is about it.....

I have a problem with calling the dogs off to soon., I have seen a 45 -0 halftime score turn into a 45 -38 final score. If you put in the scrubs and the other teams is still firing bullets, It might be hard to slow the other teams momentum when you have to step on the accelorator again.

I have been on both sides of this; it's a hard call to make

If you call off the dogs you expect the opponent to play his scrubs too.

nobogey72
09-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
You ask kids to show up on time, work in the off season, practice hard and play hard. You tell them it doesn't matter if you’re a starter or not, you never know when your time will come and everyone needs to be ready to practice hard and step up and play hard. Good coaches manage programs where everyone from the water boys and ball boys to the last player on the squad gets after and does it right.
Then you get in a game against someone who doesn't do any of those things and you tell your 3rd string to not play hard?
I don't think so. You play hard always because that is how you honor the game AND your opponent.
The subs who bust their butts in practice everyday deserve a chance to play for real when they get in a game.
You don't want to get beat 0-83, don't quit.

:clap: :clap: :clap: One of the best posts I ever read.

kaorder1999
09-18-2009, 10:10 AM
#1....you need to get your starters some work in order to have them ready for the next week. A 42-0 halftime score is not all that uncommon.

Now...that being said....if you are up that much and the severe blow out potential is there, there are some things you can do in order to help "help" the other team without your own players knowing. You set up returns instead of blocks on punt returns. You keep the ball on the ground and work on a facet of the game that maybe you have been struggling in. For instance, if you are constantly getting to the edge on them in your running game and the other team has zero chance of stopping you then work on your inside game.

You have to also at least ask the opposing team if its okay to run the clock. Ive known some head coaches that refuse to let another team run the clock on them even if they are getting killed.

You cannot ask a kid to not play hard when they are in. You are doing that individual an injustice. If a coach has done everything in his power (besides telling the kids to just not try hard) then what happens happens. You just gotta hope that the team on the receiving end notices you are trying everything you can.