PDA

View Full Version : If I leave tomorrow morning (at like 4, 5 or 6)...

Gobbla2001
11-11-2003, 03:28 PM
from my gf's place in Austin, and go up to Northern part of Iowa (like 15 miles off of North I-35 in Northern Iowa) to pick up an engine for a buddy's modification car project that he got off of ebay, do you think I could make it back to Victoria, Texas by 7:30 this Friday Night????

He says it'll be just as cheap to drive up there then to UPS it etc... if it weighs in over 150... Looks like it does...

I'm taking bets...

<small>[ November 11, 2003, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Gobbla2001 ]</small>

St. Ivender
11-11-2003, 03:38 PM
A freight line would haul that for $150.00 tops. 3 days max from Iowa. UPS will break it off in you and you will be lucky if it comes in one piece.
Stay home and have them ship it. You could make the round trip easy but there ain't much scenery between here and Northern Iowa.
As a friend of mine once told me "There is a pretty girl behind every tree in Kansas."

bulldogvet85
11-11-2003, 03:39 PM
damn i dont think so and if you do you sure will be cutting it close. man thats crazy

CowboyFan
11-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Um, that drive up there will be a good 17-18 hour drive taking 33+ hours for traveling giving you about giving you 38 hours to get there and back, if you leave at like 4am, um I don't know if you could make it, I would ship it if it the cost isn't to different between driving and shipping! It would be crazy to try that unless you had someone else so yall could take turns sleeping and driving...

<small>[ November 11, 2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: CowboyFan ]</small>

Gobbla2001
11-11-2003, 03:56 PM
Well, I'm a road trip guy...

The scenery in between the Texas state line and almost to Norman, OK is alright... But after that it's kinda boring for a while... Then you gotta pay to take 35 from about 15 miles inside of Kansas all of the way to Emporia? I think...

The scenery isn't too bad in South Eastern Iowa (I think that's it, you know, Bridges of Madison County?), but after that, the only cool things are those big wind-turbines or whatever they are...

We made the trip from Austin up to St. Paul/Minneapolis this summer and on our way back we got from St. Paul/Minneapolis (about 200 + miles North of Mason City, IA, where the engine's at) to Ardmore, OK (around 40 minutes North of Texas) in about... hmm... 16 hours (a lotta 'holding it')...

I'll mention the freight thing to him, but he's gunna try to drop the engine this weekend (doesn't have very much time after that, already dropped his engine in his truck and is doing other modifications to it)...

I will admit that the scenery isn't the best, though...

I remember telling someone after I got back this summer: "If I owned Iowa AND Hell, I'd live in Hell and rent out Iowa..."

St. Ivender
11-11-2003, 04:04 PM
Thay would have to ship the engine today to get it here Friday. I am a road trip guy myself, I love the challenge. It sounds kinda like Smokey and the Bandit.

spiveyrat
11-11-2003, 04:15 PM
Yeah, you could make it. You'll probably be pretty tired when you get back though. Austin to Ft Worth is about 2.5 hrs... Ft Worth to Wichita is about 5.5 hrs... I've made it to Omaha from Wichita in about 5.5 hrs too. And I'm guessing you're about 2 hrs beyond there. So, one way, that's about 15.5 hrs. Wave as you go through Wichita. If I see you, I'll wave back. :D

GreatBigBurnetFan
11-11-2003, 04:19 PM
If you count gas, food etc there's not much difference. If you take into account wear and tear on your vehicle and you. Might be cheaper to ship. What if you did have a wreck or a breakdown?
Then which is cheaper?
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFan
Is a challenge worth several hundred, a thousand
or your life. I've done the round trip when I was your age, that distance. After you pass 24hrs straight it's no longer fun! To heck with the challenge!

crabman
11-11-2003, 04:21 PM
This sounds like Smokey and the Bandit trying to smuggle a load of Coors Beer to Florida. Call Yellow Freight. Life's Short.

Gobbla2001
11-11-2003, 07:27 PM
Yah, does kinda sound like Smokey and the Bandit, eh?

Nah, we did it when we went to Minn this summer, wanted to get back so we could watch the Spurs in the 6th game of the finals (BEST NBA FINALS WE'VE EVER HAD)... Got far enough on day 1 coming back that we screwed around in Southern OK for a while, then hit the road and were back in Austin in time for tip-off...

Aint gunna do it though... UPS will not ship anything over 150 pounds (here atleast), so we went by Central Freight Lines INC. and they hooked us up with a company who would pick it up in Iowa, then drop it off at another company who would then drop it off at a Central FL INC. place and then they'd deliver it to the Central in Victoria and then take it to his house... It'll be here soon enough, he decided not to drop it this weekend anyway...

IT would cost us about 150 bucks for gas (only cost us about 130 on our trip to Minn, but the car we were in got better gas mileage than his truck would), so I said that'd be fine for gas... Then 40 for a hotel (would only stay one night)... We finally came to the conclusion that it'd cost around 230-250 bucks for that trip and that's when we dropped by Central... They'll do it for $161.00, so that settles it... No road-trip for me :( ...

It's just fun stickin' the pedal to the metal in between Austin and Kansas, but they strictly inforce the speed-limit in Kansas, then in Missouri they're pretty easy with you, but in Iowa it's not only strictly inforced on I-35, it's 65 mph :(

Oh well...

PPHSfan
11-11-2003, 07:33 PM
Well you could make a road trip up here if you just want to drive, and I will buy you lunch :D

Gobbla2001
11-11-2003, 07:36 PM
PPHSfan:
Well you could make a road trip up here if you just want to drive, and I will buy you lunch :D Shiner Bock, what?

sinfan75
11-11-2003, 08:27 PM
HEEEELL YEAH!!Leave at 4:00Am Wed. morn,drive non stop except for the usual things.Get there and get what ya need,sleep in for a few hours,get up and go.Actually you should have enough time get some good rest on the way back and be back in plenty of time to watch your "ASS KICKIN CHICKENS".