PDA

View Full Version : State Final Games You Wish You Had Seen...

Bullaholic
09-16-2009, 09:36 AM
I wish I could have seen the 04' 3A-DII final:

Gilmer-49 Jasper-47

44INAROW
09-16-2009, 09:42 AM
I bet that was an exciting game - I was still recuperating from the AW vs Cuero final.. last second field goal :(

waterboy
09-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

Gilmer-49 Jasper-47
I was there! That was one heck of a game! Gilmer totally dominated until 3 successive turnovers in the 3rd quarter gave momentum to Jasper. They did what a good team does with "mo" on their side and made this one downright scary, capitalizing on all three TOs. They barely missed a 2-point conversion that would've tied it. Gilmer then made a defensive stand with about a minute and change left that sealed the victory. It was the best state championship game I've ever seen. Of course, I may be a little biased.....:D

I would've liked to have seen the Kilgore - Lincoln 4A D2 championship game that year, but it was played on the same day. Kilgore won that game in OT.

Txbroadcaster
09-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by waterboy

I would've liked to have seen the Kilgore - Roosevelt 4A D2 championship game that year, but it was played on the same day. Kilgore won that game in OT.

It was Lincoln that Kilgore played. And they won on a Block FG returned for a TD in the OT.

pirate4state
09-16-2009, 10:11 AM
2002: Greenwood-v-Bandera, 2 OT
2004: Gilmer-v-Jasper
2006: TLE-v-Robinson
2008: Prosper-v-La Vega
2008: Celina-v-Carthage

waterboy
09-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
It was Lincoln that Kilgore played. And they won on a Block FG returned for a TD in the OT.
Oops! Sorry, I had a brain fart. Yes, it was Lincoln...... Must be senility.:D

Rabid Cougar
09-16-2009, 11:45 AM
China Spring and Celina

I was in Iraq then just like am now

j_dog
09-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

Gilmer-49 Jasper-47
Well, I WAS there, and did not totally like the outcome. :D

But for sure it was one heck of an exciting game! Jasper did not get beat, they just ran out of time. :( ;)

IHStangFan
09-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
China Spring and Celina

I was in Iraq then just like am now I've got 7 and a wakeup left!!!

So I guess I WILL get to see some HS ball this year!

I'll keep up / the posting of webcasts so that you have plenty of ball to listen to amigo!!

Keep your head down and watch your 6!!

Footballhudini
09-16-2009, 12:09 PM
it would've been an honor to see a very special daingerfield team pummel sweeny in 83

lostaussie
09-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
it would've been an honor to see a very special daingerfield team pummel sweeny in 83 i saw that team several times, just not the championship game. Without looking it up, i think they beat Gilmer 14-0 that year..........one of the many shutouts. I think we played them closer than any other 3a team that year. They were just down right nasty on defense!!!

waterboy
09-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i saw that team several times, just not the championship game. Without looking it up, i think they beat Gilmer 14-0 that year..........one of the many shutouts. I think we played them closer than any other 3a team that year. They were just down right nasty on defense!!!
You're right. They did beat us that year, 14-0. It was the second game of the season. The only really close game they played that year was against Carthage, who they beat 10-6. Carthage went on to play either in the 4A quarterfinals or semifinals that year. Some interesting tidbits about that Tiger team:

-Record: 16-0
-Points for: 631
-Points against: 8
-14 shutouts, including 13 in a row to end the season.
-NO points allowed by the defense! The special teams gave up all the points.

Unfortunately, the only game I saw in person was the Gilmer/Daingerfield game. Did you know that the Buckeyes were the team that gained the most yardage against them all year? 187 total yards
Most of the Tigers games ended with the opposition gaining negative yards rushing, and totals of 50 yards or less net.

Looking4number8
09-16-2009, 12:40 PM
You're right. They did beat us that year, 14-0. It was the second game of the season. The only really close game they played that year was against Carthage, who they beat 10-6. Carthage went on to play either in the 4A quarterfinals or semifinals that year. Some interesting tidbits about that Tiger team:

-Record: 16-0
-Points for: 631
-Points against: 8
-14 shutouts, including 13 in a row to end the season.
-NO points allowed by the defense! The special teams gave up all the points.

Unfortunately, the only game I saw in person was the Gilmer/Daingerfield game. Did you know that the Buckeyes were the team that gained the most yardage against them all year? 187 total yards
Most of the Tigers games ended with the opposition gaining negative yards rushing, and totals of 50 yards or less net.

that's IMPRESSIVE

Looking4number8
09-16-2009, 12:41 PM
I would have liked to see Brownwood vs anybody in the SC game in the last 30 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Footballhudini
09-16-2009, 12:44 PM
i would've liked to see brownwood win state last year after their drop from 4a

LE Dad
09-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
2002: Greenwood-v-Bandera, 2 OT
2004: Gilmer-v-Jasper
2006: TLE-v-Robinson
2008: Prosper-v-La Vega
2008: Celina-v-Carthage LE / Robinson lol was a great game. Robinson scored with under 30 sec left, extra point ties the game. Their coach calls time :thinking: and decides to fake it. That was the longest play I have ever seen. Needless to say it was no good. Ball game.

shamu85
09-16-2009, 02:05 PM
it would've been an honor to see a very special daingerfield team pummel sweeny in 83

I was there. Froze my butt off at Floyd Casey. At the time, I had no idea as a junior in high school, how historic the Daingerfield team was. I do remember they were one of the fastest teams I had ever seen.

I would have also loved to see the 4A final of that year. Not because it was a close game, but because that Bay City team is so overlooked because of the Daingerfield team. Bay City might have been better than Daingerfield that year. They won the final against Lubbock Estacado 30-0 after beating a Willowridge team with Thurman Thomas on it the week before by like a 33-0 score.

Pick6
09-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by shamu85
I was there. Froze my butt off at Floyd Casey. At the time, I had no idea as a junior in high school, how historic the Daingerfield team was. I do remember they were one of the fastest teams I had ever seen.

I would have also loved to see the 4A final of that year. Not because it was a close game, but because that Bay City team is so overlooked because of the Daingerfield team. Bay City might have been better than Daingerfield that year. They won the final against Lubbock Estacado 30-0 after beating a Willowridge team with Thurman Thomas on it the week before by like a 33-0 score.

I saw Lubbock Estacado that year. They were a very good team. If Bay City shut them out, Bay City was probably the better team over Dangerfield.

waterboy
09-16-2009, 02:25 PM
I don't think y'all understand. That Daingerfield team had the best defense of any team I've ever seen, period, before then and after, at any level. They were in the backfield every single play, and the majority of the time the QB was tackled before he could hand the ball off. You would've had to have seen this team play to understand. Those stats I gave weren't just a fluke. They held at least 12 of their opponents to less than 50 total yards. I think the average yards per play for the entire year by their opponent was 1.1 yards, the vast majority coming late in games. They blew out every team they played throughout the playoffs, including a 42-0 waxing of Sweeny in the finals.:eek:

Here's the story of that historic '83 Daingerfield team:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9owTM9SyH0

Pick6
09-16-2009, 02:35 PM
I don't think y'all understand. That Daingerfield team had the best defense of any team I've ever seen, period, before then and after, at any level. They were in the backfield every single play, and the majority of the time the QB was tackled before he could hand the ball off. You would've had to have seen this team play to understand. Those stats I gave weren't just a fluke. They held at least 12 of their opponents to less than 50 total yards. I think the average yards per play for the entire year by their opponent was 1.1 yards, the vast majority coming late in games. They blew out every team they played throughout the playoffs, including a 42-0 waxing of Sweeny in the finals.:eek:

I did see the Dangerfield team in 83. I watched them beat Kaufman 46-0 in the playoffs. They were one of the greatest teams ever. But I also saw Lubbock Estacado play that year. If Bay City shut them out, I'd probably take Bay City.

waterboy
09-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Fair enough. I still say Daingerfield would've shut them out just like they did everybody else they faced.....but it's just my opinion and won't ever be proven either way.:cool:

Pick6
09-16-2009, 03:10 PM
..but it's just my opinion and won't ever be proven either way.:cool:

And neither will mine :thumbsup:

waterboy
09-16-2009, 03:57 PM
I still say Daingerfield would've smoked 'em!:thumbsup:

Pick6
09-16-2009, 03:58 PM
I still say Daingerfield would've smoked 'em!:thumbsup:

I think you're actually smoking something...lol

waterboy
09-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
I think you're actually smoking something...lol
:smoker: Maybe you are.....lol.....:D

Pick6
09-16-2009, 04:38 PM
:smoker: Maybe you are.....lol.....:D

I just might be by Friday...lol

shamu85
09-16-2009, 04:59 PM

Obviously, I saw the Daingerfield team, too. Yes, they were incredibly good, perhaps the best D ever. My point is that Bay City had an incredible D as well, and just may have been as good as Daingerfield overall. I feel pretty certain that Bay City would have beaten the Judson team that won state in 5A that year.

Actually, I did some research, and the Willowridge victory was two weeks prior, and Bay City won 42-0. They won the semifinal game against New Braunfels 49-6.

Here are their playoff scores in that championship year.

Bay City 33, Huntsville 9
Bay City 20, Georgetown 6 (nice to see the Eagles gave them their closest game):)
Bay City 42, Fort Bend Willowridge 0
Bay City 49, New Braunfels 6
Bay City 30, Lubbock Estacado 0

sinfan75
09-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Southlake Carroll vs. Vernon waaay back when (early 90's late 80's?). Listened to that game on the radio in my truck in the driveway with a 12 pack way down in Sinton. Had to have been great game because I finished the entire 12 pack before the game was over.

Footballhudini
09-16-2009, 06:31 PM
there's always a 'wino' in every group

KingRob
09-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I bet that was an exciting game - I was still recuperating from the AW vs Cuero final.. last second field goal :(

OH. Oh, yes, this is the game I wish I was at. Oh. Wow. Okay...move on Kingrob....

KingRob
09-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Actually, upon further review...I think I would've love to have been at the Cuero - Mt. Pleasant Game. This was Cuero's first State Championship.

I can only imagine.....:cool:

Nursebetty
09-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I bet that was an exciting game - I was still recuperating from the AW vs Cuero final.. last second field goal :( yeah i was at that game and OMG.......i couldnt believe my eyes........... :_( :weeping:

Footballhudini
09-17-2009, 03:58 AM
at least there were no excuses from the cuero fans. I must've counted 23458392485739487590384 from bw last year

ssgmp5150
09-17-2009, 07:33 AM
2007-Farmersville vs Tatum.....Farmersville pulls it out with an awesome TD catch in overtime for their first ever state title and from the looks of things their only state title for another 30 years to come...lol

LE Dad
09-17-2009, 10:01 AM
at least there were no excuses from the cuero fans. I must've counted 23458392485739487590384 from bw last year Wrong thread, this one is about Championship games!:thinking: :doh:

:D

Daddy D 11
09-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
Well, I WAS there, and did not totally like the outcome. :D

But for sure it was one heck of an exciting game! Jasper did not get beat, they just ran out of time. :( ;)

Kinda like the game before where LH ran out of time?:thinking: ...at the ONE yard line.

Daddy D 11
09-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by shamu85
Obviously, I saw the Daingerfield team, too. Yes, they were incredibly good, perhaps the best D ever. My point is that Bay City had an incredible D as well, and just may have been as good as Daingerfield overall. I feel pretty certain that Bay City would have beaten the Judson team that won state in 5A that year.

Actually, I did some research, and the Willowridge victory was two weeks prior, and Bay City won 42-0. They won the semifinal game against New Braunfels 49-6.

Here are their playoff scores in that championship year.

Bay City 33, Huntsville 9
Bay City 20, Georgetown 6 (nice to see the Eagles gave them their closest game):)
Bay City 42, Fort Bend Willowridge 0
Bay City 49, New Braunfels 6
Bay City 30, Lubbock Estacado 0

The amount of points Bay City gave up in their first playoff game is more than Daingerfield gave up the entire 1983 season. The defense was never scored on. I don't see how a Defense could top that?:thinking:

Footballhudini
09-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
The amount of points Bay City gave up in their first playoff game is more than Daingerfield gave up the entire 1983 season. The defense was never scored on. I don't see how a Defense could top that?:thinking:

maybe if dfield was in BC's classification they would've won but i'd bet money they would've been scored on.