PDA

View Full Version : Wylie @ LaVega

Slamhammer
09-15-2009, 10:25 PM
I'll be in Waco this weekend and hoping to catch this game. Does anyone know what the stadium seating is like at LaVega? Wylie usually has a big following.

Rabid Cougar
09-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Its big enough for China Spring's needs and we are only 15 miles away. Its about half the size as the home side ( fairly large) and just as high.

Not a good fence standing field though.

They have just installed a new field and track. Its very nice.

Coming from Highway 6 take I-35 North and take Exit 339 (Lakeshore Drive/Loop340) and take the right on Loop 340 . The field is down on the right about 1/2 mile.

Lots of eateries on that exit.

ccmom
09-15-2009, 11:32 PM
The Wylie band is not going to the game, so that will cut down on the Purple crowd, but there will still be lots of fans and parents making the trip. Texas Bob lists the stadium capacity @ 6500. Sounds like there will be ample space. Let's hope the weather cooperates. Go Dawgs!

BEAST
09-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Of that 6500 most is home side. When we went, the band also went, it was pretty much shoulder to shoulder with folks standing around on the sides.

BEAST

pirate4state
09-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by ccmom
The Wylie band is not going to the game, so that will cut down on the Purple crowd, but there will still be lots of fans and parents making the trip. Texas Bob lists the stadium capacity @ 6500. Sounds like there will be ample space. Let's hope the weather cooperates. Go Dawgs! :eek: No band? I love yalls band!

At our home game last week, CC Moody did not bring their band OR cheerleaders! It was so weird!

ccmom
09-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:eek: No band? I love yalls band!

At our home game last week, CC Moody did not bring their band OR cheerleaders! It was so weird!

Nope...no band for the LV or the LH trip this year. Here's a copy of the story about it from the Wylie Weekly, if anyone cares...or even if you don't:D

By CANDY REAGAN

Wylie Weekly Editor

When the Wylie Bulldogs take the field this Friday night in Liberty Hill, it will be the first time in recent memory that they do so without the Pure Gold Band.

The band will stay behind as a cost-cutting measure.

“To the best of my knowledge, it’s the first time in the history of the high school that the band is not going to an away game,” said Dan Carpenter, the president of Wylie’s band booster organization.

Band members and most parents have taken the news like troopers, disappointed that they will be the ones to break tradition, but willing to do what is deemed best for the district, Carpenter said.

“There are a small minority that I would describe as upset,” he said. “The majority are just disappointed.”

Wylie Superintendent Joey Light made the decision earlier this school year that the band will not travel to games farther than 170 miles from Abilene. The policy only applies to non-district games. The band still will attend all district and playoff games, regardless of the distance.

Light explained to the school board Monday night that he made the decision to leave the band behind after talking with band director Mike Lunney and athletic director Hugh Sandifer. He said extracurricular expenditures exceeded budget last year and, consequently, the administration is looking at ways to cut costs.

“We’re trying to watch our costs across the board – not just band,” Light said. “We need to be sure that we are spending those dollars wisely.”

Light said the administration will look at whether or not some athletic teams really need to spend the night when playing in tournaments and will try to find other ways to cut back on travel costs.

Hiring three charter buses to carry the band, plus a truck for equipment and meals along the way can cost anywhere from $9,000 per game to $14,000 per game, depending on whom you ask. When games are far enough away to require charter buses, the school district generally picks up half the cost and the band boosters the other half.

Carpenter said the band boosters briefly discussed paying the entire cost themselves but decided against it.

“We knew there was no way we could come up with $28,000,” he said. “We were financially positioned to share the cost of transportation to these two games, but as an organization, we understand and support the administration’s decision to be financially responsible.”

The issue came up at Monday night’s budget hearing and sparked a lengthy discussion between the Wylie school board and the Wylie administration. Several school board members said they would prefer the administration send the band to non-district away games and cut costs elsewhere.

School board member Jeff Rogers said he does not like the idea of having a band program and not fully funding it. Several other board members agreed.

Board member Steve Keenum said he would prefer the football team play games closer to home, which would keep costs down and allow the band to attend.

He acknowledged; however, the difficult time that Coach Sandifer has scheduling quality games close to home.

When contacted after the meeting, Lunney said he also is aware of the difficult time that Sandifer has scheduling games. Bigger schools do not want to play Wylie because they are embarrassed if they lose.

Lunney said he supports the administration in whatever decision it makes.

However, taking school buses instead of charter buses to distant games is not an option, he said.

“Where do you stop to go to the bathroom at 2 a.m.,” he asked.

Carpenter agreed that school buses are out of the question.

“It’s difficult enough to go to Snyder and Graham (on school buses),” he said. “The time, the distance, the requirement of drivers – there’s a safety issue.”

Lunney said Wylie is not the first district to cut costs. Canyon will not be bringing its band to Wylie this year, he said, and the Abilene school district bands never travel to non-district games that are out of town.

He said he would like to take the band, but money is an issue.

“We don’t have the funds to do it,” he said.

Lunney said he has not heard any complaints from the band students. He expects some parents are in favor of the change; others are opposed and the majority are somewhere in the middle.

The board appeared to favor providing the money for the ban to travel, but Light said timing would likely prohibit any changes for this year.

When told about the Monday night meeting, Carpenter said he appreciates the support of the school board.

“Maybe it’s something that will get looked at more closely next year,” he said.

garciap77
09-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Is anyone from LaVega going to be at this game?

solocam
09-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Not buch of a game Wylie Rolls

95mustang
09-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Is anyone from LaVega going to be at this game?

Wylie will definitely out number the LaVega fans.

captain d
09-17-2009, 12:18 AM
Wylie will run the table in non district.They have a good Lavaga team to beat but a weak Canyon team. Should enter district undefeated

Rabid Cougar
09-17-2009, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by 95mustang
Wylie will definitely out number the LaVega fans.

Don't count on it! They may not travel well but they will be there for this one.

HEMOTOXIC
09-17-2009, 12:39 AM
Nope...no band for the LV or the LH trip this year. Here's a copy of the story about it from the Wylie Weekly, if anyone cares...or even if you don't:D

By CANDY REAGAN

Wylie Weekly Editor

When the Wylie Bulldogs take the field this Friday night in Liberty Hill, it will be the first time in recent memory that they do so without the Pure Gold Band.

The band will stay behind as a cost-cutting measure.

“To the best of my knowledge, it’s the first time in the history of the high school that the band is not going to an away game,” said Dan Carpenter, the president of Wylie’s band booster organization.

Band members and most parents have taken the news like troopers, disappointed that they will be the ones to break tradition, but willing to do what is deemed best for the district, Carpenter said.

“There are a small minority that I would describe as upset,” he said. “The majority are just disappointed.”

Wylie Superintendent Joey Light made the decision earlier this school year that the band will not travel to games farther than 170 miles from Abilene. The policy only applies to non-district games. The band still will attend all district and playoff games, regardless of the distance.

Light explained to the school board Monday night that he made the decision to leave the band behind after talking with band director Mike Lunney and athletic director Hugh Sandifer. He said extracurricular expenditures exceeded budget last year and, consequently, the administration is looking at ways to cut costs.

“We’re trying to watch our costs across the board – not just band,” Light said. “We need to be sure that we are spending those dollars wisely.”

Light said the administration will look at whether or not some athletic teams really need to spend the night when playing in tournaments and will try to find other ways to cut back on travel costs.

Hiring three charter buses to carry the band, plus a truck for equipment and meals along the way can cost anywhere from $9,000 per game to $14,000 per game, depending on whom you ask. When games are far enough away to require charter buses, the school district generally picks up half the cost and the band boosters the other half.

Carpenter said the band boosters briefly discussed paying the entire cost themselves but decided against it.

“We knew there was no way we could come up with $28,000,” he said. “We were financially positioned to share the cost of transportation to these two games, but as an organization, we understand and support the administration’s decision to be financially responsible.”

The issue came up at Monday night’s budget hearing and sparked a lengthy discussion between the Wylie school board and the Wylie administration. Several school board members said they would prefer the administration send the band to non-district away games and cut costs elsewhere.

School board member Jeff Rogers said he does not like the idea of having a band program and not fully funding it. Several other board members agreed.

Board member Steve Keenum said he would prefer the football team play games closer to home, which would keep costs down and allow the band to attend.

He acknowledged; however, the difficult time that Coach Sandifer has scheduling quality games close to home.

When contacted after the meeting, Lunney said he also is aware of the difficult time that Sandifer has scheduling games. Bigger schools do not want to play Wylie because they are embarrassed if they lose.

Lunney said he supports the administration in whatever decision it makes.

However, taking school buses instead of charter buses to distant games is not an option, he said.

“Where do you stop to go to the bathroom at 2 a.m.,” he asked.

Carpenter agreed that school buses are out of the question.

“It’s difficult enough to go to Snyder and Graham (on school buses),” he said. “The time, the distance, the requirement of drivers – there’s a safety issue.”

Lunney said Wylie is not the first district to cut costs. Canyon will not be bringing its band to Wylie this year, he said, and the Abilene school district bands never travel to non-district games that are out of town.

He said he would like to take the band, but money is an issue.

“We don’t have the funds to do it,” he said.

Lunney said he has not heard any complaints from the band students. He expects some parents are in favor of the change; others are opposed and the majority are somewhere in the middle.

The board appeared to favor providing the money for the ban to travel, but Light said timing would likely prohibit any changes for this year.

When told about the Monday night meeting, Carpenter said he appreciates the support of the school board.

“Maybe it’s something that will get looked at more closely next year,” he said.

WOW, that sucks! It just doesn't feel right w/o the band, drill team, and chearleaders.:(

Rabid Cougar
09-17-2009, 04:50 AM
LaVega sideline, stands and announcer should be plenty entertainment for both sides.

garciap77
09-17-2009, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by solocam
Not buch of a game Wylie Rolls

I think this will be a close game. They have a lot of speed and size. LAVega has plenty of good running backs, big offense line, solid linebackers, tough secondary and a good QB. I think this will be our toughest game so far.

garciap77
09-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Its big enough for China Spring's needs and we are only 15 miles away. Its about half the size as the home side ( fairly large) and just as high.

Not a good fence standing field though.

They have just installed a new field and track. Its very nice.

Coming from Highway 6 take I-35 North and take Exit 339 (Lakeshore Drive/Loop340) and take the right on Loop 340 . The field is down on the right about 1/2 mile.

Lots of eateries on that exit.

Thanks for the info.

garciap77
09-17-2009, 10:04 PM
:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Is Wylie and LaVega playing this week?:confused:

trojan37
09-17-2009, 11:42 PM
I think this will be a close game. They have a lot of speed and size. LAVega has plenty of good running backs, big offense line, solid linebackers, tough secondary and a good QB. I think this will be our toughest game so far.

I don't believe La Vega is near as good as last year. After what Brownwood did to them, I say AW rolls in this one, 35-14 my prediction.

trojan37
09-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Here's what the Wacotrib had to say about the game.

#5 Abilene Wylie (2-0) at La Vega (2-1)

This looks like a typical Wylie team.

The Bulldogs never seem to wow you with their statistics, but they don’t make mistakes and force you into them.

To put it simply, they just play good, solid football.

“They’re the same every year,” La Vega coach Willie Williams said. “They have high numbers and a lot of seniors on the team every year.”

Nobody knows that better than La Vega, which turned the ball over four times in a 22-20 loss to Wylie last season.

Don’t get me wrong though, the Bulldogs do have some impressive statistics so far this season.

In their two games this season, a 37-14 win over Vernon and 21-7 victory over then-No. 9 in Class 4A Wolfforth Frenship, Wylie hasn’t allowed a point before the fourth quarter.

“You’ve got to beat them,” Williams said. “You’re not going to be able to hit a lot of big plays, so you have to be patient and drive the ball down the field.”

Thirteen Bulldogs have carried the ball at least once, with five of them recording at least 50 yards on the ground. Jon Miller is the team’s leading rusher, with 111 yards and a touchdown on 14 carries.

“They just execute,” Williams said. “They don’t run a lot of different plays, but they line up in multiple formations. If you misalign, they’ll take advantage of it. They don’t have a lot of extraordinary athletes, but they know their roles and schemes very well.”

Quarterback Matt Preston is the perfect fit for the Bulldogs’ manage-the-game style of play.

Preston is 23-for-30 for 242 yards and two scores through the air and also has also added three rushing TDs.

As if the task of facing a top-5 team in the state isn’t enough, La Vega will likely be without starting quarterback Devin McGowan, who injured his toe at home this week. If he can’t go, Tony Montoya will take his place.

Williams said the Pirates, who are coming off a 28-0 win over Dallas Roosevelt that was stopped at halftime, haven’t reached where he’d like them to be.

“We’re still searching in some areas,” he said. “I think we’ll get to where we want to be, but we’re running out of time. We’ve got this week, next week and the bye, and then we play Mexia to start district, and they’ve really got it rolling.”

Abilene Wylie 35, La Vega 21

garciap77
09-18-2009, 06:40 AM
Thanks for posting the article. To put that many points on Dallas Roosevelt by the 2nd half is impressive. I don't think it's going to be a roll. It will be a hard fought game. Where are all the Modoc posters?

Cadetdad
09-18-2009, 07:07 AM
The head coach is already talking up the Mexia game, seem like he is looking ahead so could be bad night for the Pirates.

Mcguirk
09-18-2009, 07:37 AM
I can't make the drive to Waco tonight, and will probably take in a 6 man game. Would anyone be willing to throw a score/text message my way occasionaly?

garciap77
09-18-2009, 07:40 AM
You should come to the SW game!

Originally posted by Mcguirk
I can't make the drive to Waco tonight, and will probably take in a 6 man game. Would anyone be willing to throw a score/text message my way occasionaly?

Mcguirk
09-18-2009, 07:46 AM
You should come to the SW game!

We'll make a plan this afternoon. I had forgot about SW/Clyde. May see you there.
I know it was needed, but I'm sorta going to miss the old wooden bleachers at Clyde. They screamed HS football and had character!

garciap77
09-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Mcguirk
We'll make a plan this afternoon. I had forgot about SW/Clyde. May see you there.
I know it was needed, but I'm sorta going to miss the old wooden bleachers at Clyde. They screamed HS football and had character!

We are geting something to eat at the Pizza House. I'll PM my cell if you want to eat there before the game. This should be good game. The last two Clyde/SW have been great games.

Mcguirk
09-18-2009, 03:17 PM
We are geting something to eat at the Pizza House. I'll PM my cell if you want to eat there before the game. This should be good game. The last two Clyde/SW have been great games.

Looks like we're going to Cooper/Garland. We've got a friend that's a coach at Cooper and we try to catch at least one of their games a year. I'd say I'll see you next week, but my kids bought me two tickets to see Brave Combo at the Paramount, so I guess next friday is polka night.

plpsftball
09-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
Wylie will definitely out number the LaVega fans. i dont know it is LaVega's homecoming so it will be packed

ccmom
09-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by plpsftball
i dont know it is LaVega's homecoming so it will be packed
I didn't realize it was their homecoming. I guess that's only fair since they came to Bulldog Stadium for homecoming last year. That was a fuuuuuunnnnn night!

garciap77
09-19-2009, 07:05 AM
I didn't realize it was their homecoming. I guess that's only fair since they came to Bulldog Stadium for homecoming last year. That was a fuuuuuunnnnn night!

Not as fun as last night, all 60 players got to play! Stang and I heard you were coming to the Clyde game. We also looked for the lakers poster. We sat with SW Red and his son. Looks like SW found them a QB. His is a soph and can throw the ball.