PDA

View Full Version : Massey Ratings 9-15-09

Bull's-eye
09-15-2009, 01:56 PM
http://www.highschoolsports.net/defaultcal300x250.cfm?ct=stateratings&conftodisp=Texas&year=2009&conf_id1=CFB76376&spt=4&division=1&timeoffset=300

Sweetwater Red
09-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Sweet! :D

Sweetwate is 0-3 and only scored 14 points so far this season
and they are still ranked ahead of the likes of Sinton, Needville, and Ingleside.

I'm just sayin'

Cowboy_Up
09-15-2009, 07:01 PM
no doubt, sweetwater is having a good year!

Ingleside Fan
09-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Sweet! :D

Sweetwate is 0-3 and only scored 14 points so far this season
and they are still ranked ahead of the likes of Sinton, Needville, and Ingleside.

I'm just sayin'

The Massey Ratings are designed to measure past performance, not necessarily to predict future outcomes.

Only the score, venue, and date of each game are used to calculate the Massey ratings. Stats such as rushing yards, rebounds, or field-goal percentage are not included. Nor are game conditions such as weather, crowd noise, day/night, or grass/artificial turf. Overtime games are not treated any differently. Finally, neither injuries nor psychological factors like motivation are considered. While none of these are analyzed explicitly, they may be implicitly manifested through the game scores.

http://masseyratings.com/theory/massey.htm

Check it out!

I'm Just Saying!:rolleyes:

LE Dad
09-15-2009, 08:57 PM
I noticed that strength of schedule is not yet calculated into the formula. When will the model begin to calculate it? Overall it looks good to me 5 teams out of District 16 are in the top 44, and I have always said that year in and year out 16 is one of the toughest districts. It will be interesting to look at this model closer to the end of the year and see where each region and district rate without human bias.:thinking:

j_dog
09-15-2009, 09:02 PM
One really good thing about Massey is that it is an excellent data base for a quick overview of any and all teams and their season records.

Now for the value of the ratings, who knows??

Old Tiger
09-15-2009, 09:03 PM
I've never understood these ratings...as the season goes along are they supposed to show who is the better teams statistically or what?

Emerson1
09-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
I've never understood these ratings...as the season goes along are they supposed to show who is the better teams statistically or what?
It ranks the teams based 100% on scores against who they played. Every single team is connected and how one team does affects another teams rating.

I know with Forney at least the game predictions were very good.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-15-2009, 09:12 PM
District 25 has all but one in the top 26.

LE Dad
09-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
District 25 has all but one in the top 26. Lol, which supports ya'lls claim to being 1 of the toughest . I think this may actually be accurate!

WOS87
09-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Lol, which supports ya'lls claim to being 1 of the toughest . I think this may actually be accurate!

Massey is one of the BCS NCAA computer rankings. He is using the exact same algorithm for his High School rankings as he is for the NCAA. An individual team's ranking depends just as much on the success of their opponents as it does on the actual team in question. WO-S won by only 1 point over 2A Kirbyville this past week yet we moved up 4 spots in his rankings because BOTH 4A Nederland and 4A LC-M (Our week 0 and week 1 opponents respectively) won this past week as well.

LH Panther Mom
09-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
I noticed that strength of schedule is not yet calculated into the formula. When will the model begin to calculate it?
They have to wait several games to find out how good or sucky the teams you played are. :D

In 2006, they had us as having one of the toughest (maybe "the", I forget lol) scheduled in the state. We won state that year. In 2007, we had the exact same schedule. Interestingly enough, all those teams "toughness" in schedule rose, while ours went down. :rolleyes: :devil: :p

j_dog
09-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
They have to wait several games to find out how good or sucky the teams you played are. :D

In 2006, they had us as having one of the toughest (maybe "the", I forget lol) scheduled in the state. We won state that year. In 2007, we had the exact same schedule. Interestingly enough, all those teams "toughness" in schedule rose, while ours went down. :rolleyes: :devil: :p
did theirs go up because they had to play the defending state champion? :cool: just a thought. ;)

LH Panther Mom
09-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
did theirs go up because they had to play the defending state champion? :cool: just a thought. ;)
But of course! :D

bigwood33
09-15-2009, 10:10 PM
The Harris Poll is still the best poll for Texas High School Football!

LE Dad
09-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
But of course! :D I think this is a good indicator. It will take a couple more weeks for last years data to carry less weight and for strength of schedule to kick in but it looks good so far. Lol and LE is 34 so it is not a homer opinion.:rolleyes: :D