PDA

View Full Version : Abilene Wylie...

Bullaholic
09-15-2009, 09:06 AM
They just quietly keep on winning---at everything. You can talk about the Celinas and the Southlakes---a couple more football titles and I think Abilene Wylie will be talked about along with those teams. Hats off to all-around sports excellence in HS athletic programs.

Rocket
09-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Huge 3A Enrollment + Consistency + Good Kids from Good Homes = Success

STANG RED
09-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Rocket
+1, but you left out great coaching staff.

waterboy
09-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Don't forget about nobogey and his "donations" of his private jet, with condiments and liquor for the referees, UIL officials, and prospective recruits to use as they please.:devil:

Just kidding! They are a model of what it takes to be successful, a great coaching staff, along with all the points Rocket has made.

Rocket
09-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
+1, but you left out great coaching staff.

Consistency includes a good coaching staff.

nobogey72
09-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
Don't forget about nobogey and his "donations" of his private jet, with condiments and liquor for the referees, UIL officials, and prospective recruits to use as they please.:devil:

Just kidding! They are a model of what it takes to be successful, a great coaching staff, along with all the points Rocket has made.

Wait just a minute!!!! I didn't supply condoms for anybody. I've said all along that if you can't afford your own condoms then you ought not be "poking fun" at anybody!!!!! OH.......... I just noticed you said condiments------ never mind, my bad.:hand: :hand:

Rabid Cougar
09-15-2009, 11:05 AM

Pretty pompous statement. Lots of kids in lots of schools that are good kids from good homes.

Try twice as many kids to pick from than just about every other school in the Region and lots of money for the "extra" off campus coaching. Lots of money to to support the program and facilites and keep coaches around.

That equals success.

Money =sucess (Lake Travis, Katy, South Lake Carroll, the list goes on and on)

waterboy
09-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Wait just a minute!!!! I didn't supply condoms for anybody. I've said all along that if you can't afford your own condoms then you ought not be "poking fun" at anybody!!!!! OH.......... I just noticed you said condiments------ never mind, my bad.:hand: :hand:
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif Glad you caught that!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy091.gif http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy056.gif

Johnny Utah
09-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Abilene Wylie might be the most well rounded 3a program in the state. They win in every sport!!! How many other 3a programs can say that. Very impressive.

ccmom
09-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Pretty pompous statement. Lots of kids in lots of schools that are good kids from good homes.

Try twice as many kids to pick from than just about every other school in the Region and lots of money for the "extra" off campus coaching. Lots of money to to support the program and facilites and keep coaches around.

That equals success.

How can paying a compliment to another program be considered pompous? :confused:

Rocket, you better appreciate this....you won't find me defending you often.
:D

Rocket
09-15-2009, 11:22 AM

That equals success.

Sure there are alot of good kids from good homes. But there are more in some places than others. Success starts at home and with the parents. I believe that. Show me a good football team and I will show you a bunch of kids with a good home base and support. Those kids still have to show up everyday and learn and get better to be able to execute on Friday night and this comes from parents teaching their kids these things. You can't buy championships... See the Yankees.

Rocket
09-15-2009, 11:29 AM

That equals success.

You smell sour, dude.

nobogey72
09-15-2009, 11:30 AM

That equals success.

Those "grapes" still a little "sour"?????:thinking: :thinking:

Rocket
09-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Those "grapes" still a little "sour"?????:thinking: :thinking:

That dude stinks... smells bitter.

garciap77
09-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Hey! Did We Miss Something?
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/DSC_2463-2.jpg

Rocket
09-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/DSC_2463-2.jpg

I tried to support you guys and you bring this crap up? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! LOL

Texasfootball2
09-15-2009, 12:52 PM

That equals success.

I know this may come as a shock to you, but Abilene Wylie is a Robin Hood school that recieves money, because the tax base (as far as businesses go) is low. It's about 95 percent property taxes.

LE Dad
09-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by garciap77

:D Thats just wrong, wrong, wrong.:hairpunk:

Rabid Cougar
09-15-2009, 01:20 PM
You smell sour, dude.

I'm not knocking AW.There are good kids at AW just as there are at Abilene High, Clyde, Rosco, Trent ,Sweetwater and all the rest of the towns around there.

I am just being realistic. AW is a Robin Hood school because 95 of your tax base is residential, no commercial or industrial base; thats all over in AISD. You cannot get your tax rate high enough to pay for the number of kids that you have in school. But what is the median income level of those residents? It sure is not in the mid $30Ks.

I bet money that AW didn't use a drop of tax money to build that indoor practice field either. You did it through booster club fund raisers and donations. You don't have the commercial tax base but Wylie is an affluent community, no question.

I said before the formula is not just an AW thing. Its at the other locations in Texas that I mentioned. Its nation wide. Off the top of my head there is Union High and Jenks High in Oklahoma and Hoover High in Hoover Alabama, an affluent suburb of Birminghan.

No money doesn't buy championships.. but it sure enables you to compete for them.

Texasfootball2
09-15-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm not knocking AW.There are good kids at AW just as there are at Abilene High, Clyde, Rosco, Trent ,Sweetwater and all the rest of the towns around there.

I am just being realistic. AW is a Robin Hood school because 95 of your tax base is residential, no commercial or industrial base; thats all over in AISD. You cannot get your tax rate high enough to pay for the number of kids that you have in school. But what is the median income level of those residents? It sure is not in the mid $30Ks.

I bet money that AW didn't use a drop of tax money to build that indoor practice field either. You did it through booster club fund raisers and donations. You don't have the commercial tax base but Wylie is an affluent community, no question.
Very well said, and 95% true. Affluiant??? Yes, there are some very affluiant families, but 60% (+/-) of the families in the Wylie School district are middle class, both upper and lower. But your post is an excellant post.

I said before the formula is not just an AW thing. Its at the other locations in Texas that I mentioned. Its nation wide. Off the top of my head there is Union High and Jenks High in Oklahoma and Hoover High in Hoover Alabama, an affluent suburb of Birminghan.

No money doesn't buy championships.. but it sure enables you to compete for them. :2thumbsup Very well said, and 95% true. Affluiant??? Yes, there are some very affluiant families, but 60% (+/-) of the families in the Wylie School district are middle class, both upper and lower. But your post is an excellant post.

ccmom
09-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
I know this may come as a shock to you, but Abilene Wylie is a Robin Hood school that recieves money, because the tax base (as far as businesses go) is low. It's about 95 percent property taxes.

And then we have those who pay property taxes in WISD, but wear that ugly burgundy or maroon or whatever on Friday nights. :rolleyes: :p

Texasfootball2
09-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
And then we have those who pay property taxes in WISD, but wear that ugly burgundy or maroon or whatever on Friday nights. :rolleyes: :p

:kiss: :D :inlove:

nobogey72
09-15-2009, 01:53 PM
:2thumbsup Very well said, and 95% true. Affluiant??? Yes, there are some very affluiant families, but 60% (+/-) of the families in the Wylie School district are middle class, both upper and lower. But your post is an excellant post.

Our kids are just like any other kids. They put their Nieman Marcus jeans on 1 leg at a time just like regular kids. :D

Bullaholic
09-15-2009, 01:57 PM
How do the Cooper and Abilene High folks regard the Wylie folks? Why don't they ever play each other---or is there just too big of a difference in their sizes to be competitive?

nobogey72
09-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
How do the Cooper and Abilene High folks regard the Wylie folks? Why don't they ever play each other---or is there just too big of a difference in their sizes to be competitive?

For the most part I would say that most of Abilene supports Wylie and vice versa. But, some of the more vocal minority absolutely hate Wylie. Their perception is that ALL of Wylie's kids are rich spoiled brats, and that every Wylie parent is a millionaire snob. There are some of each as there are in both Abilene High and Cooper. Back in the mid 70's Wylie ISD was begging to be brought in to AISD because they were struggling severely. AISD would not do it. That caused some raw nerves that still exist today. We play Cooper and AHS in most girls sports and occasionally in a Basketball or baseball tourny, but I don't see Cooper (4A) playing Wylie in football for some time to come. Cooper would not have much to gain.

Rocket
09-15-2009, 02:21 PM
:2thumbsup Very well said, and 95% true. Affluiant??? Yes, there are some very affluiant families, but 60% (+/-) of the families in the Wylie School district are middle class, both upper and lower. But your post is an excellant post.

Where have you been? lol

Texasfootball2
09-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Where have you been? lol

At a football field near you? Kind of like the movies!:2thumbsup

Rocket
09-15-2009, 02:36 PM

No money doesn't buy championships.. but it sure enables you to compete for them.

Brownwood has alot of financial support as well. It doesn't come from taxes either. Once a program is successful, the support is overwhelming. From donations to community. You want better facilities for your sports? Win.

Ex-Tiger2005
09-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Brownwood has alot of financial support as well. It doesn't come from taxes either. Once a program is successful, the support is overwhelming. From donations to community. You want better facilities for your sports? Win.

:iagree:

vet93
09-15-2009, 04:23 PM
I am a big Sandifer and Wylie supporter. I am from Ballinger and know first hand what a great job the coaches, community, parents, kids and fans do at Wylie. If you want to get a Wylie fan riled, then call them affluent! They will give you the middle class argument and I do not doubt the statistics nor the honesty of those who make that argument. The problem with the statement is that while Wylie if 60% middle class (not a bad thing to be), many if not most of the schools in West texas that are not in a suburban area of a larger city like Abilene (Wylie and Jim Ned), San Angelo (Wall) and Lubbock (Frenship) are dealing with a 60% low socioeconomic rate. I am not saying this to take anything away from Wylie, I am a fan of the program, but they are playing with a different set of kids than most of west texas both from a socioeconomic standpoint as well as a genetic/environmental standpoint. It is hard to build a consistent program around a group of kids who are not worried about whether they are going to have to find a job when they go to college, they are worried about where they are going to sleep tonight and if they are going to be in the same school next year.

Johnny Moxen
09-15-2009, 05:00 PM
All of the various arguments posted above are true. The kids sure help the programs, but you don't have to have phenominal/stud athletes to compete.

However a couple of things I happen to know first hand.

1). Wylie pays it coaches the minimum the State of Texas requires them to plus a coaching small stippen.

2). Most of the coaches have been there over at least 10 years.

3). The School Board, Superintendents, Principals, etc all leave the coaching to the coaches.

So what can take from this, hire good coaches (young or experieinced) and at least pay them well emough to keep them, allow them enough time to build a program (doesn't happen over night), and keep the parents, and various administrators out of the program and you'll be suprised what you can accomplish.

The overall formula is very simple, it does require a lot of sweat, hard work and determination (just like a farmer) and you will have a very productive program.

STANG RED
09-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by vet93
I am a big Sandifer and Wylie supporter. I am from Ballinger and know first hand what a great job the coaches, community, parents, kids and fans do at Wylie. If you want to get a Wylie fan riled, then call them affluent! They will give you the middle class argument and I do not doubt the statistics nor the honesty of those who make that argument. The problem with the statement is that while Wylie if 60% middle class (not a bad thing to be), many if not most of the schools in West texas that are not in a suburban area of a larger city like Abilene (Wylie and Jim Ned), San Angelo (Wall) and Lubbock (Frenship) are dealing with a 60% low socioeconomic rate. I am not saying this to take anything away from Wylie, I am a fan of the program, but they are playing with a different set of kids than most of west texas both from a socioeconomic standpoint as well as a genetic/environmental standpoint. It is hard to build a consistent program around a group of kids who are not worried about whether they are going to have to find a job when they go to college, they are worried about where they are going to sleep tonight and if they are going to be in the same school next year.

All very true, and they know it. Occasionally one will even admit it. I think you could also put LH (Austin) in that same catagory. It all adds up to winning formula for sure.

Rocket
09-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Moxen
All of the various arguments posted above are true. The kids sure help the programs, but you don't have to have phenominal/stud athletes to compete.

However a couple of things I happen to know first hand.

1). Wylie pays it coaches the minimum the State of Texas requires them to plus a coaching small stippen.

2). Most of the coaches have been there over at least 10 years.

3). The School Board, Superintendents, Principals, etc all leave the coaching to the coaches.

So what can take from this, hire good coaches (young or experieinced) and at least pay them well emough to keep them, allow them enough time to build a program (doesn't happen over night), and keep the parents, and various administrators out of the program and you'll be suprised what you can accomplish.

The overall formula is very simple, it does require a lot of sweat, hard work and determination (just like a farmer) and you will have a very productive program.

You forgot the most important one.

4). Every odd numbered year (such as '09), send 100 students to Abilene High for the first 2.5 months of the school year and then allow them to come back to Wylie on November 1.

ccmom
09-15-2009, 08:22 PM

4). Every odd numbered year (such as '09), send 100 students to Abilene High for the first 2.5 months of the school year and then allow them to come back to Wylie on November 1.
That is ridiculous! If you knew ANYTHING about this area, you would know that we send those kids to Cooper, since it's on the south side of town. Geez!

Rocket
09-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
That is ridiculous! If you knew ANYTHING about this area, you would know that we send those kids to Cooper, since it's on the south side of town. Geez!

No , that would make them 5A again... COME ON!

WTF-82
09-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Abilene Wylie might be the most well rounded 3a program in the state. They win in every sport!!! How many other 3a programs can say that. Very impressive.

I totally agree with you hear but here's the crazy thing about that is they have more kids out there than most 4A's ! Numbers are awesome there at Wylie. I mean what 3A school has womens soccer other than the metro area schools just Wylie and they compete in the 4A division someone from Cooper high in Abilene told me he thinks they have more kids on the roster at Wylie in Football than Cooper and they are a former 5A how this happens is a mystery say what you want but still hard to believe.

wyliefan
09-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Brownwood and Decatur both have soccer teams, and they are smaller than Wylie.

Wylie will continue to have a large turnout in football, because of their success. Cooper in the 90’s had more than Abilene High, because of their success. Now that Cooper has had some down years, the program does not have the participation as they had in years past.

Rocket
09-15-2009, 10:48 PM
WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN...Money, numbers, and support will follow. Without success, you are fiddle farting around and wasting people's time. Diehards and parents will go watch even if you are losing, but they won't be excited. Excitement keeps fans happy and adds more fans, winning keeps excitement.

STANG RED
09-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by ***-82
I totally agree with you hear but here's the crazy thing about that is they have more kids out there than most 4A's ! Numbers are awesome there at Wylie. I mean what 3A school has womens soccer other than the metro area schools just Wylie and they compete in the 4A division someone from Cooper high in Abilene told me he thinks they have more kids on the roster at Wylie in Football than Cooper and they are a former 5A how this happens is a mystery say what you want but still hard to believe.

It's not a mystery to me at all. Just take the top 25% of students from most normal high schools and multiply that by 4. That’s what pretty much makes up their entire student body. They simply have 2 to 3 times the participation than what most schools have. In most schools, you'll find that the top 25% of students represents about 90% of your extracurricular participation. Not the case at Wylie, and other Wylie like schools, where most of the kids come from stable two parent homes, who are pushing their kids to succeed, and trying to provide every opportunity for them to do so. It's no wonder their so dang hard to beat at anything.

slingshot
09-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by ***-82
I totally agree with you hear but here's the crazy thing about that is they have more kids out there than most 4A's ! Numbers are awesome there at Wylie. I mean what 3A school has womens soccer other than the metro area schools just Wylie and they compete in the 4A division someone from Cooper high in Abilene told me he thinks they have more kids on the roster at Wylie in Football than Cooper and they are a former 5A how this happens is a mystery say what you want but still hard to believe. It's not number of kids... it's participation rate. I think someone figured up last year that the 7th grade boys had a participation rate of over 85% in football. Incredible. It's like that for nearly all sports.

WTF-82
09-15-2009, 11:55 PM
It's not a mystery to me at all. Just take the top 25% of students from most normal high schools and multiply that by 4. That’s what pretty much makes up their entire student body. They simply have 2 to 3 times the participation than what most schools have. In most schools, you'll find that the top 25% of students represents about 90% of your extracurricular participation. Not the case at Wylie, and other Wylie like schools, where most of the kids come from stable two parent homes, who are pushing their kids to succeed, and trying to provide every opportunity for them to do so. It's no wonder their so dang hard to beat at anything. ..

Your right Wylie is like a public private school people want to move or stay in that district to give there kids the great opportunities just like you would if you wanted them to go to a private school acedemics and athletics are just awesome there.
Take note I did not say they were a private just comparing them to one because of what they are able to accomplish and how.

garciap77
09-16-2009, 07:30 AM

Rocket you have not heard about the new private school in the Wylie area!:D

;)

garciap77
09-16-2009, 07:52 AM
It's not a mystery to me at all. Just take the top 25% of students from most normal high schools and multiply that by 4. That’s what pretty much makes up their entire student body. They simply have 2 to 3 times the participation than what most schools have. In most schools, you'll find that the top 25% of students represents about 90% of your extracurricular participation. Not the case at Wylie, and other Wylie like schools, where most of the kids come from stable two parent homes, who are pushing their kids to succeed, and trying to provide every opportunity for them to do so. It's no wonder their so dang hard to beat at anything.

Stang, you are absolutely correct! Wylie has lots of parent support in everything. I believe it's the biggest advantage. I also agree with VET 93 post, "It is hard to build a consistent program around a group of kids who are not worried about whether they are going to have to find a job when they go to college, they are worried about where they are going to sleep tonight and if they are going to be in the same school next year.”

nobogey72
09-16-2009, 10:23 AM
I feel like I am as big a Wylie supporter as anyone. I went to Abilene High and had black and gold blood in my veins until it came time to put kids in school. It was not an easy decision. There are a lot of things you give up going to a 3A school as opposed to a 5A. The job skill courses (auto mechanics, welding, and lots of others), the higher profile athletic programs, the more diverse student dynamics (yes I feel that is a valuable part of the educational process), more advance placement opportunities, etc. On the other hand the things that the smaller 3A Wylie had to offer were the community atmosphere (like a one school town) the parent involvement, the fact that the kids all know each other so much better since they have gone to school together since kindergarten. We DO IN FACT have some affluent influential people in the Wylie school disctrict that have made some things possible that might not otherwise be. And, I do feel extremely fortunate that we have that. And the kids are lucky that they have these facilities and things. Believe me, WE DONT TAKE IT FOR GRANTED, but I don't feel like we owe anyone an apology for it. If these things give us an advantage then so be it. If others have a problem with it, and feel a need to constantly take shots at us for it.... then it is what it is------THEIR PROBLEM NOT OURS.

Thus concludes my soapbox speech of the day. Oh, yeah, one more thing........all ya'll can kiss my backside.:D

waterboy
09-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Oh, yeah, one more thing........all ya'll can kiss my backside.:D
I've got a better idea........ Why don't we just line up and KICK your backside!:D

awylie8
09-16-2009, 10:57 AM
I've got a better idea........ Why don't we just line up and KICK your backside!:D

Hey waterboy, don't let fear and common sense hold you back. Nobogey's a tough son-of-a-gun. I've heard from a very reliable source that he is the strong arm guy at the bank when people are late on their notes. If I were you, I'd be very careful. He doesn't put up with much crap. By the way bogey, I GOT YOUR BACK!!!!!

waterboy
09-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Hahaha! He IS one scary dude, ain't he.......;)

awylie8
09-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Hahaha! He IS one scary dude, ain't he.......;)

Hey Garcia, see if you can find that picture of Nobogey for waterboy when you get a chance.

garciap77
09-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by awylie8
Hey Garcia, see if you can find that picture of Nobogey for waterboy when you get a chance.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/big20men-1.jpg

Careful waterboy!:D

;)

waterboy
09-16-2009, 05:07 PM
I ain't skeered! I ain't got enough sense to be skeered.....:D I ain't exactly no itty bitty weaklin' myself...:thinking: I once fought a fella who was a black belt in karate. He told me he was a third degree black belt. Of course, I told him that I was third degree crazy. Needless to say, crazy is better than belt.:D

markp08
09-16-2009, 05:12 PM
This has been both one of the best serious discussion and comedic relief threads I've seen in a long time. Good points on all sides.