PDA

View Full Version : Need more results of the first week scrimmages!

Old Cardinal
08-21-2002, 11:47 AM
I would sure like to here your impression of this past weekend Scrimmages from EVERYONE that has not already written something? Ex. Orangefield/LCM and all the others that don't normally frequent this message board!

RBARKER
08-21-2002, 12:12 PM
I did not get to attend the Barbers Hill/Brookshire Royal scrimmage, but the final was BH 3-1. I think Lagrange Scrimmages this same 2A team this week. I wish we could have found teams like Royal found to Scrimmage.

LeopardPride
08-21-2002, 12:21 PM
Liberty Eylau & Gladewater 2 to 2 ALL FOUR TD WERE ON PASS PLAYS.

Bobkat
08-21-2002, 06:10 PM
Orangefield did real well last week at 4A LCM...Orangefield outscored LCM 1-0 in the controlled part of the scrimmage...They also played a half and LCM kicked a fieldgoal with a few seconds left on the clock for the only scoring. Bottomline, our kids gained a lot of confidence from this scrimmage. They really got after the bigger LCM team and fustrated them all night. All LCM wanted to do was fight. OF moved the ball well for most of the night, getting inside the LCM 20 on atleast 3 different drives, but only scoring once. The 7 on 7 success we had this year seems to have paid off, we threw the ball well. Our defense is small but very quick. In appearance it reminds me of Bridge City's defenses the last couple of years. Not real big but fast and flying to the ball. We tackled well too, something we didn't do last year. In the 20 plays portion of the scrimmage, LCM only got past the 50 yardline once on our defense. They moved the ball a little better on us in the half of play, but never managed to get inside our 20. Our numbers are up too, and the coaches are trying to play 11 kids on defense and 11 on offense...of course that will change some and a handful of kids will play both ways, but our depth will be better this year. That lack of depth cost us last year, cause we lost several games because we were just flat out gone by the 4th qtr. Teams wore us down...ask Bridge City. It was 7-0 at the half, but midway through the 3rd qtr we couldn't stop them. Not saying we could have beat that BC team last year, cause they were definetly the better team, but depth and injuries were major factors last year. It was the best scrimmage Orangefields had in three years, lets just hope they can build on it, and turn some heads this year. And poor LCM...if they let an average 3A team push them around like they did last Friday night, what are the teams in probably the toughest 4A district(20-4A)in the state going to do to them. Ugh...it's going to be ugly!!!

Go Cats!!!

Old Cardinal
08-21-2002, 09:15 PM
Thanks Bobkat, I have felt all along that OF will be a Div II playoff team. LMC is quite scrappy, if they get a little disipline going they will be much better off. What an excellent report.

bigdalman
08-21-2002, 09:33 PM
old cardinal why do you keep refering to lcm as lmc, you've done it in numerous posts. its NOT LMC!!!! get it right already!! try LC-M! Its NOT Little Mauriceville Cypress!! sheesh..

Old Cardinal
08-22-2002, 08:48 AM
Thank you Bigdalman, I never noticed that. I am quite familiar with them. I played against them, my son and son-in-law, and a grandson have played against them....If I didn't know better, I would think I am getting old and can't type correctly anymore! LCM is having growth pains, they are in that 4A- 9 team district of some of the best teams in Texas, as soon as their rapid enrollment growth rate stabilizes they will get their program back under better control. Really no one team is going to stand out in that District it is so balanced. That District is equalivent to the 4A bracketing, after the second round of the 4A Playoffs.

JKLL
08-22-2002, 04:30 PM
Bobkat, OF scored 2 TD's Sat. night. One on the 70 something yard dash by Sauceda and one on a short run by Goss. LCM did get inside the 5 yard line in the game situation portion with mostly 2nd teamers. If you remember it was about a 50 yard scramble by their QB. They then inserted their 1st string tailback and he failed to score on three straight runs up the middle. That's when they kicked the field goal and called it a night.

lilred_19_14
08-23-2002, 05:17 PM
Crockett Bulldogs, Vs. Marlin, & Robinson. A three way scrimmage, which Crockett won, scoring 3 touchdowns. First touchdown, to Kevin Robbins, a 6'3, 185lbs, SE, Junior. Second was Quaterback Chris Jones, and Kevin Robbins again, on a reverse. The Bulldogs showed Tremendous talent in this scrimmage, and should be the team to watch in the upcoming 2002-2003 season!

bullfrogfan
08-23-2002, 05:50 PM
Lake Worth vs. Kennedale
Lake Worth lost alot of kids last year this year will be a rebuilding year. Not much too say. They did 20 offense 20 Defense, 10 Offense 10 Defense then 1 quarter. Kennedale scored 7 times in 20 playes to Lake Worths 1. Kennedale had a very strong offense they have a different QB, he has a good arm and some speed. A good WR who had a couple of receptions for 1 TD. A big fast TE who had a couple of receptions for 1 TD.
And 3 good Backs who had a few TD's a big and fast one small and fast one and a quick one. They should be really good this year

Big Tarp 74
08-24-2002, 01:11 PM
Port Isabel was at home against Edcouch Elsa. Edcouch is a 4A powerhouse in the RGV. The final was EE 3 and PI 1, but as for the action, I would say it was very close. PI was much more aggressive. They realy hit EE. On the other hand EE stoped PI's running game. I was a bit supprise, that PI could hang with them. They were very big. EE had two huge linebackers with speed. However it was PI speed EE had to worrie about. It seem that PI could catch them at will. EE is a senior ball club, PI is a very young ball club, with no linebacker experence. I was just shocked that EE could not rackup lots of points. Maybe, PI was better than EE expected. On one play PI ripped a huge hole in the EE defensive line, that was larger than 25 yards. Never could figure out what caused such a large hole to develope. Both EE linebackers went flowing toward the sideline. My son tells me that EE did not know which way to handle that play. It cause EE to become very reserve on defense. They were worried it could happen again. Even some of the scouts, were not quite sure what happen. It appeared that the PI offensive line just pushed EE defensive line right out of the way. Even the PI quarterback, was supprised. He started to dancy arround, trying to make up his mine, weather to run or pass.

Big Tarp 74
08-24-2002, 01:14 PM
Here is Week 2 Report On Port Isabel.

[This message has been edited by Big Tarp 74 (edited August 24, 2002).]

VWG
08-24-2002, 04:30 PM
After talking to a guy I know in Graham, the Steers beat Aledo 4 TD's to 2 in their scrimmage.
Sounds as if Graham has solved their QB problem, and settled on a senior as their starter.
Defense played solid, with one INT and one fumble recovery against Aledo, who moved up to 4A this year.

Big Tarp 74
08-24-2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Big Tarp 74:
Here is Week 2 Report On Port Isabel.

Hey bud, we did not do well. For some reason we were in a strange defense. Mercedes ran to the outsides, ran up the middle, and passed. Mercedes scored 4 times. PI did manage to score 2 times. PI looked very out of sink. I was watching the secondary coach, he had the players backing up thinking it was a pass play, while mercedes was running the ball to the outside. The linebackers were right in the middle about 5 feet apart. Do not have any idea why they were playing so close up. Never could stop the run to the outside. As for the offense, Gabreal, was hurt. He seem to have hurt his sholder. But not the sholder he throws from. We attempted a halfback pass that was blocked into the air. These Quarterbacks and running backs need to be shown how to arch a pass. They tried to throw it straight all night as did Mercedes. Mercedes was intersepted 3 times. PI did complete some passes. Mercedes completed a long pass play for a touchdown. The defensive backs let the receivers behind them. If they play this way, when we get to district, they are going to find the going rough. Why they switched from a 43 to a 6 uplineman and 3 linebackers and 3 defensive backs is beond me. This defense played right into Mercedes game plan.

russ31
08-28-2002, 04:39 PM
North Lamar was outscored 4-3 by class 4a Sherman in their scrimmage this past weekend. North Lamar's passing game looked good, which is a plus having graduated the top qb and wr in school history this past year (they both signed with Tulane). In the red zone drill each team had 5 plays apiece with Sherman scoring twice and NL scoring once. In the offensive series (3 sets of 20 reps each team) NL scored twice and Sherman scored once. In the live quarter Sherman scored once and NL did not score. NL had 2 passing tds and 1 rushing td. The offensive line looked suspect, as did the defense at times, but as a whole NL had a good scrimmage against a very solid 4a team. Sherman's qb gave NL trouble with his ability to scramble. RB Jacob Caraway looked outstanding and QB Eric Gilbreath had a good game.