PDA

View Full Version : Van Vandals

icu812
09-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Just thought I would let everybody know what is going on in Van. We had such high hopes for this season. Those appear to gone now. We have about 8 starters injured. 3 of these are done for the year. Those three include a linebacker/fullback, a DE and our stud QB. All with torn acl's. Very dissapointing. At this point the playoffs are even in doubt.

LE Dad
09-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Ouch, don't give up hope. The team has 2 weeks left till district. Time for some players to step up. :D

Bullaholic
09-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by icu812
Just thought I would let everybody know what is going on in Van. We had such high hopes for this season. Those appear to gone now. We have about 8 starters injured. 3 of these are done for the year. Those three include a linebacker/fullback, a DE and our stud QB. All with torn acl's. Very dissapointing. At this point the playoffs are even in doubt.

So sorry to hear this, icu---makes for a long season for everyone. That's sure a lot of key injuries. Hope most of the injuries were not seniors, and the younger players realize that they can still work with what they've got right now---gain some experience and maybe even surprise some folks-- and that the big season is still very possible next season.

kaorder1999
09-14-2009, 01:18 PM
i hate to hear that. I really like some of the coaches over at Van...seem like good guys!

Bullaholic
09-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i hate to hear that. I really like some of the coaches over at Van...seem like good guys!

And they've got those great new facillities going for them, ka.

kaorder1999
09-14-2009, 01:34 PM
havent seen!

pirate4state
09-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Just thought I would let everybody know what is going on in Van. We had such high hopes for this season. Those appear to gone now. We have about 8 starters injured. 3 of these are done for the year. Those three include a linebacker/fullback, a DE and our stud QB. All with torn acl's. Very dissapointing. At this point the playoffs are even in doubt. Major bummer for them. Were any of the 3 seniors? If so, what a tough loss. Hope you can get some of them back to make a push. Don't give up hope!

icu812
09-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the posts. I just hate it for the players, parents and coaches. The DE & QB are seniors. The DE torn the acl on his other leg early last season. I think we've had 6 acl injuries in 2 yrs. I've never seen such bad luck. Last year we overcame injuries to have a great season. It'll be more difficult this year as our backup qb is also injured. I think were moving one of our receivers to qb. The next 2 games before district could be ugly but hopefully we'll figure something out by district. :confused:

ProudHornetMom
09-14-2009, 10:25 PM

Double yikes or bad karma.

Is there any sports medicine physicians near Van? May be worth looking into. You just don't want anybody fixing ACLs...especially in young athletes. I hope the injuries heal and something falls into place for district. :(

I appreciate that you are posting with concern not excuses.

PHS Wildcats
09-14-2009, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't give up on the Vandals! They play their hearts out friday night. You guys will still make some noise in District.

GreenMonster
09-14-2009, 11:25 PM
As a coach I would be wanting to find a physical therapist or an athletic trainer to review my training programs in an attempt to see why so many of my athletes are having ACL injuries. Often times an ACL injury is caused by an instability in the muscles that surround and help hold the knee joint in place. Mostly due to over emphasizing either the hamstring or the quadricep creating an imbalance that drastically destabilizes the knee joint. 6 in 2 years is an extremely high rate for boys athletics. Female athletes are much more prone to this injury and 6 in 2 years would be a rather significant number for even a girls program.

Farmersfan
09-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the posts. I just hate it for the players, parents and coaches. The DE & QB are seniors. The DE torn the acl on his other leg early last season. I think we've had 6 acl injuries in 2 yrs. I've never seen such bad luck. Last year we overcame injuries to have a great season. It'll be more difficult this year as our backup qb is also injured. I think were moving one of our receivers to qb. The next 2 games before district could be ugly but hopefully we'll figure something out by district. :confused:

Dang! I don't know much about the subject but is there certain types of exercises or stretches that should be done to help prevent these kinds of injuries?

icu812
09-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
As a coach I would be wanting to find a physical therapist or an athletic trainer to review my training programs in an attempt to see why so many of my athletes are having ACL injuries. Often times an ACL injury is caused by an instability in the muscles that surround and help hold the knee joint in place. Mostly due to over emphasizing either the hamstring or the quadricep creating an imbalance that drastically destabilizes the knee joint. 6 in 2 years is an extremely high rate for boys athletics. Female athletes are much more prone to this injury and 6 in 2 years would be a rather significant number for even a girls program.

GM, I appreciate the info. Over the summer this year most of the players participated in a six week flexibility/strength training/speed camp held on our campass by a highly respected trainer. This was supposed to lesson the chance of acl/mcl type injury due to increasing the strength and flexibility of the muscles surrounding the knee. My 7th grader went through this program and increased his pro agility, 40 time, verticle and broad jump considerably. It was a good program. The injuries occured on both grass and turf so that is not an issue. I think the coaches and players did all the right things. We haven't had a bad problem prior to last year. Thinking back to all the plays where the players were injured I'd have to say its likely just a crazy bad run of luck. What else can you do? I'll tell you what if my son was a lineman I'd seriously consider paying whatever it costs for some knee braces. I watched 2 San Deigo Charger lineman go down with knee injuries in last nights game on ESPN.

navscanmaster
09-15-2009, 02:31 PM
That is an awful lot of ACL injuries all at once. Do they practice on Van's new playing surface, too?

SHSBulldog00
09-15-2009, 03:23 PM
How awful!:(

icu812
09-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
That is an awful lot of ACL injuries all at once. Do they practice on Van's new playing surface, too?

Yes, but the injuries took place during the games. 1 in each of the first 3 games. The last in Palestine on a grass surface. The 3 last year all took place on grass and we practiced on grass all year.

You want wierd. Listen to this, each of the past 3 yrs. we have lost our middle linebacker, against Grand Saline, on opening day, all acl or mcl knee injuries, on kickoffs!!! :doh: We do a lot of kicking off against Grand Saline :D

I think somebody in Canton has a voodoo doll and is twisting it's legs!!!