PDA

View Full Version : If a team declines a penalty can they take it back and accept it?

Keith7
09-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Ok lets say Team A throws a touchdown pass and gets a roughing the passer call because Team B hit the QB late. Team A decides to decline the penalty thinking that would give them the touchdown, sends their kicking team onto the field when all of a sudden they realize accepting the penalty will actually give them the ball inside on the 1 yardline for the PAT and the TD will stand.. So they decide to accept the penalty after already declining it.. Is that legal? Has anyone ever seen that before?? It seems like something Celina would do so I thought maybe someone would know..

trojan37
09-13-2009, 12:39 AM
You have got to be kidding, right?

95mustang
09-13-2009, 12:42 AM
Go to bed.

wimbo_pro
09-13-2009, 12:59 AM
I think they can take the penalty at that point because they werent given all the correct options at the time they made the decision to deny it.

TexMike
09-13-2009, 07:42 AM
Can chnage their mind up until clock is started or ball is snapped.

grahampaw
09-13-2009, 08:26 AM
What you left out was that there was also a booth reveiw to make sure the TD would stand .After the reveiw and everything was explained to the coach was when they made the right decision.

Pick6
09-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by grahampaw
What you left out was that there was also a booth reveiw to make sure the TD would stand .After the reveiw and everything was explained to the coach was when they made the right decision.

Did you expect Keith to tell the whole story?

Bullaholic
09-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
Ok lets say Team A throws a touchdown pass and gets a roughing the passer call because Team B hit the QB late. Team A decides to decline the penalty thinking that would give them the touchdown, sends their kicking team onto the field when all of a sudden they realize accepting the penalty will actually give them the ball inside on the 1 yardline for the PAT and the TD will stand.. So they decide to accept the penalty after already declining it.. Is that legal? Has anyone ever seen that before?? It seems like something Celina would do so I thought maybe someone would know..

This rule scenario is not a bad question---however, throwing the Celina part in is just pure "Keith", and just unnecessary. Oh well, predictable behavior from a Philly fan. Are you saying that the Celina coaches are more well versed on the rules than others and would be smart enough to consider changing their decision without having to be informed of the options?

Rabid Cougar
09-13-2009, 10:57 AM

Or Ohio University.

Keith7
09-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Ok heres another question from a game I saw yesterday and wasn't the UNT game..

If a QB is running the 2-minute offense.. hurries to the line after running a play and spikes the ball from the shotgun formation, is it intentional grounding??

TexMike
09-13-2009, 04:18 PM
No As long as the QB throws the ball immediately after controlling the snap, and before ball has hit the ground, it is legal to spike ball to stop clock

Keith7
09-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by TexMike
No As long as the QB throws the ball immediately after controlling the snap, and before ball has hit the ground, it is legal to spike ball to stop clock

Interesting.. The Woodlands got called for intentional grounding last night and the ref said it was because he was in the shotgun formation..

TexMike
09-13-2009, 04:29 PM
The ref announced that over the PA ?

Keith7
09-13-2009, 04:50 PM
The ref announced that over the PA ?

No a person from the press box went down and asked him during halftime.. The woodlands was winning 21-10 at the time and it was a long shot for them to score anyways so nobody made a big deal about it but I thought it was a strange call

CenTexSports
09-13-2009, 05:11 PM
When I was calling NFHS games, I think that it was necessary to be under center to spike a ball to stop the clock. Not in NCAA rules though.

VWG
09-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Can chnage their mind up until clock is started or ball is snapped.

Exactly.

GrTigers6
09-14-2009, 07:32 AM
Interesting.. The Woodlands got called for intentional grounding last night and the ref said it was because he was in the shotgun formation.. the way I understand the rule for grounding you have to be avoiding a sack so it shouldn't matter what formation you started from

kaorder1999
09-14-2009, 09:22 AM
big thing is that if you choose to spike it out of the gun you better not bobble the snap!