PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel(32-3A) vs Edcouch-Elsa (32-4A) Final 14-13

footballgal
09-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Blocked FG saves E-E win

September 12, 2009 12:13 AM
Armando Garza
RGVSports.com
http://images.onset.freedom.com/rgvsports/medium/kpueol-pitarponsveeyellowjackets5.jpg
Dina Arevalo | Valley Morning StarPort Isabel's Joe Vega is tackled by Edcouch-Elsa defender Santos Garza on Friday.

PORT ISABEL — The skies cleared and apparently so has the Edcouch-Elsa Yellowjackets’ season.

The ’Jackets blocked a potential game-winning field goal as time expired to preserve a hard-fought 14-13 win over Port Isabel at a sloshy Tarpon Stadium on Friday night.

The win is E-E’s first of the year and the expression on head coach Joe Solis’ face afterward affirmed as much.

“I’ve got to take off my hat to our kids,” Solis said. “They knew we lost our quarterback and running back but they never gave up. They worked hard this week and they wanted to win real bad.”

On a night full of late-game heroics, La Maquina got a big play when it counted and it couldn’t have been more dramatic.

After getting the ball on their own 2-yard line with just over two minutes to go in the game, PI mounted a dramatic drive that was kept alive by a miraculous 44-yard shovel pass from Kyle DeMoss to Joe Vega to put the Tarpons at the E-E 31.

Three plays later, PI lined up for a 26-yard field goal that would have capped the comeback. But the ’Jackets broke through to stuff it and the celebration was on.

“We’d been practicing on that all week. We felt we could come in from the right side,” Solis said. “When they called timeout, we brought them over and I told the kids that we could still win the ballgame. Our only chance was to block it.”

PI falls to 1-2.

“We played hard,” Stumbaugh said. “I never underestimated them. They’re a very good football team. But I’m proud of our kids. They played their tails off.”

The Jackets (1-2) went up 14-0 at the half, thanks to a 61-yard TD run from D.J. Villalpando (17 carries, 151 yards) and a 15-yard romp by Xavier Perez.

“We finally scored,” Solis said of E-E’s first touchdowns of the young season. “But it’s great. I have a lot of respect for Coach Stumbaugh. It was a great ballgame. Both teams played a fair, tough ballgame and, unfortunately, someone had to lose.”

The Tarpons had some miscues in the first half, including a fumble that kept them off the scoreboard. But they finally got going in the second half on a lightning rod of a play.

DeMoss scrambled and, just before crossing the line of scrimmage, unleashed a bomb to a wide-open Blake Sapp, who sprinted in for a 75-yard touchdown. The extra point cut the deficit in half with 4:08 left in the third.

Later, Joe Vega’s 15-yard burst up the gut cut it to 14-13. The kick was short, preserving E-E’s lead.

For the next couple of possessions, the teams traded defensive stands and a cramped Tarpon Stadium crowd was on its feet.

“I feel great. We got the monkey off our backs and this is one of the better victories I’ve ever been a part of,” Solis said. “Now we’ve got a week off and we’re going to recuperate. We’ll be ready for district.”

http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/win-5057-1st-blocked.html

footballgal
09-12-2009, 02:28 PM
http://www.rgvsports.com/share/forums/?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a5dddf080-0a87-4d3e-916d-caae080963bbForum%3a87685136-6ba9-474e-b360-8c24e060ec42Discussion%3a96fd78cd-fbaf-4c8c-a525-b60f0ed3e5eb&plckCurrentPage=0

Was a very exciting game, at Tarpon Stadium

Old Green
09-12-2009, 06:07 PM
That must have been one heck of a game. PI almost pulled it out. Good game Tarpons.

footballgal
09-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Varsity Schedule Details
Port Isabel Tarpons Football Game Details
Port Isabel Tarpons vs. Edcouch-Elsa Yellowjackets 09/11/2009 07:30 PM
at Tarpon Stadium

Summary: Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 OT1 OT2 OT3 OT4 Final
Edcouch-Elsa Yellowjackets 0 14 0 0 0 0 0 0 14
Port Isabel Tarpons 0 0 7 6 0 0 0 0 13

Scoring:
Q2: Edcouch-Elsa Yellowjackets : DJ Villapando 61 yards TD - run (Branden Martinez no attempt)
Edcouch-Elsa Yellowjackets : Xavier Perez 15 yards TD - run (Jessie Jalomo pass from Aaron Lopez)
Q3: Port Isabel Tarpons : Blake Sapp 80 yards TD - pass from Kyle DeMoss (Jesus Martinez kick)
Q4: Port Isabel Tarpons : Joe Vega 10 yards TD - run (Jesus Martinez kick blocked)

Team Totals:
Edcouch-Elsa Yellowjackets Port Isabel Tarpons
First Downs 9 15
Rushing Yards 182 160
Passing Yards 76 182
Total Yards 258 342
Comp-Att-Int 8-13-1 7-15-0
Fumbles Lost 0 2
Penalties Yards 35 30
Time of Possession 0 0

Rushing:
Edcouch-Elsa Yellowjackets: Xavier Perez 17 yards.
Edcouch-Elsa Yellowjackets: Aaron Lopez -9 yards.
Edcouch-Elsa Yellowjackets: DJ Villapando 149 yards.
Edcouch-Elsa Yellowjackets: Jessie Jalomo -5 yards.
Edcouch-Elsa Yellowjackets: Ryan Castillo 30 yards.
Port Isabel Tarpons: Bucky Rivera 9 yards.
Port Isabel Tarpons: Travis LeBlanc -4 yards.
Port Isabel Tarpons: C.J. Barrera 7 yards.
Port Isabel Tarpons: Joe Vega 45 yards.
Port Isabel Tarpons: Kyle DeMoss 98 yards.
Port Isabel Tarpons: Julio Mendoza 5 yards.

Receiving:
Edcouch-Elsa Yellowjackets: Xavier Perez 8 yards.
Edcouch-Elsa Yellowjackets: DJ Villapando 9 yards.
Edcouch-Elsa Yellowjackets: Jessie Jalomo 32 yards.
Edcouch-Elsa Yellowjackets: Jesse Herrera 7 yards.
Edcouch-Elsa Yellowjackets: Americo Valdez 17 yards.
Edcouch-Elsa Yellowjackets: Brandon Reyna 3 yards.
Port Isabel Tarpons: Travis LeBlanc 15 yards.
Port Isabel Tarpons: C.J. Barrera 3 yards.
Port Isabel Tarpons: Joe Vega 54 yards.
Port Isabel Tarpons: Bubba Gonzalez 12 yards.
Port Isabel Tarpons: Blake Sapp 88 yards.

Passing:
Edcouch-Elsa Yellowjackets: Aaron Lopez 76 yards.
Edcouch-Elsa Yellowjackets: Isacc Prado 0 yards.
Port Isabel Tarpons: Kyle DeMoss 182 yards.

http://www.rgvsports.com/sections/schedules-details/?rosterID=68477&seasonID=66&gameID=105196

44INAROW
09-12-2009, 10:41 PM
sounds like a great ballgame.. good luck to the Tarpons this year :)

footballgal
09-12-2009, 11:15 PM
It was a good 2nd half, Tarpons never quit.