PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks prior to Giddings/Wharton game

1st and goal
09-12-2009, 06:40 AM
Not sure of all the details but,
Radio announcer said that prior to the game, (in the downpouring rain), the Giddings coaching staff were all kicked out of their end of the pressbox and told to go to the other side of the field. Not sure why but I guess Wharton just wasn't in a hospitable mood?

He said that the Buff's coaches were not too happy.

Anyway:

Giddings 35
Wharton 6

Surprised that Giddings played 2nd and 3rd string for a lot of the 2nd half and that is how Wharton scored according to announcer.

KONGZILLA
09-12-2009, 07:09 AM
giddings only does fireworks prior to home games
giddings only has shoestrings
and wharton can't kick

THATS WHAT BO TOLD ME

tigerfan09
09-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Well, it appears Wharton continues their roll of crappy seasons. Can Wharton ever have a decent team? I think the school board continues hiring the wrong head football coach, and they need to pick up a winning assistant from the Houston area and finally get back to winning.

buffalo2006
09-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Im not a coach yet but soon just have to get a few education classes out of the way but when your team is down 28-0 at halftime, I dont think you as a coach should be sitting on the edge of the track. Instead you should be in the locker room trying to get your team motivated to try and compete. Have some pride in yourself and your school

tigerfan09
09-12-2009, 11:24 AM
well put...were all the Wharton coaches hanging out on the track during halftime?

buffalo2006
09-12-2009, 11:49 AM
I think only 2 or 3 were, but the entire coaching staff was walking off the field and the Giddings band was almost on the field before the coaches got off. I understand that you just got owned in the first half , but alot of the motivation and drive come from the coaches attitudes. So if you arent able to keep your composure, your head up, and stay focused then quit.

LH Panther Mom
09-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
Radio announcer said that prior to the game, (in the downpouring rain), the Giddings coaching staff were all kicked out of their end of the pressbox and told to go to the other side of the field. Not sure why but I guess Wharton just wasn't in a hospitable mood?

Sounds awfully familiar!!!!!!!!! :thinking: Where were the Wharton coaches last year?

gtownfan
09-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Sounds awfully familiar!!!!!!!!! :thinking: Where were the Wharton coaches last year?

Am I missing something? What sounds familiar?

I don't remember anything happening in last years game (other than it being rather somber due to the approaching huricane). And we always have the visiting coaches in our press box.

Also, what was up with the pre-game hand shake? All players shook hands before the game, after the coin flip.

Emerson1
09-12-2009, 02:27 PM
So why were they kicked out?

TIGER FAN
09-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by tigerfan09
Well, it appears Wharton continues their roll of crappy seasons. Can Wharton ever have a decent team? I think the school board continues hiring the wrong head football coach, and they need to pick up a winning assistant from the Houston area and finally get back to winning.

Tigerfan09 - So are you a coach???????? Have you ever filled the shoes of a coach?????
So, making the playoffs last year was a crappy season?????? Hmmmm GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!! Fairweather fan

Johnnypaycheck
09-12-2009, 03:33 PM
At giddings last year, our coaches were on top of the visitor stands on top of a platform. no where close to any type of pressbox.

Johnnypaycheck
09-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by buffalo2006
I think only 2 or 3 were, but the entire coaching staff was walking off the field and the Giddings band was almost on the field before the coaches got off. I understand that you just got owned in the first half , but alot of the motivation and drive come from the coaches attitudes. So if you arent able to keep your composure, your head up, and stay focused then quit.

i know one coach had the flu friday night and felt horrible. He didn't want to spread the flubug in the lockerroom. There are reasons why coaches do certain things, let's not turn everything we do into something negative. geez folks, get a life!

44INAROW
09-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Johnnypaycheck
i know one coach had the flu friday night and felt horrible. He didn't want to spread the flubug in the lockerroom. There are reasons why coaches do certain things, let's not turn everything we do into something negative. geez folks, get a life!

amen Johnny........

pirate4state
09-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by buffalo2006
I think only 2 or 3 were, but the entire coaching staff was walking off the field and the Giddings band was almost on the field before the coaches got off. I understand that you just got owned in the first half , but alot of the motivation and drive come from the coaches attitudes. So if you arent able to keep your composure, your head up, and stay focused then quit. :tisk: :tisk: wow .... nice :rolleyes: why am I not surprised.

TIGER FAN
09-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Johnnypaycheck
I agree Johnnypaycheck! What people do not know is the coaches had already been in the lockerroom. Some people can really BLOW things up, can't they? :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

BOCEPHUS
09-12-2009, 06:01 PM

Anyway:

Giddings 35
Wharton 6

Surprised that Giddings played 2nd and 3rd string for a lot of the 2nd half and that is how Wharton scored according to announcer.

U KNOWE I DUN'T SEEN SUM OF THEM THAR COACHES FROM GIDDENS, IT WOULD BE TAKEN A HOLE LOTTA KICK'N TO GET COUPLE OF THEM OLE BOYS FROM ANYWHERE THEY WANDST TO BE BY GAWD.
THEM THAR WHARTEN FOLKS MUST CARRY BIG STICK IF THEY WAS A TOSSN THEM FELLARS AROUND..........

maestro
09-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by gtownfan

I don't remember anything happening in last years game (other than it being rather somber due to the approaching huricane). And we always have the visiting coaches in our press box.

Also, what was up with the pre-game hand shake? All players shook hands before the game, after the coin flip.

maestro
09-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by gtownfan

the reference is to the fact that wharton coaches were placed on the visiting side at giddings last year with a card table in front of them. Still, a somewhat embarassing story for wharton, if the details are true.

JohnnieLightnin
09-12-2009, 08:11 PM

Anyway:

Giddings 35
Wharton 6

I saw the game last year; hurricane comin' in and the Wharton coaches were told to sit on the visitors side and the pressbox had two empty rooms. I know this is not the only team Giddings has done this to. I don't know what Giddings has against Wharton; Wharton has never been any competitive threat to them. I guess the Giddings folk don't like it when they are treated the way they treat people (Golden Rule). Anyway, saw this years game and Giddings is a force to be reckoned with; if there is a better team out there, I haven't seen 'em. At the end of the game: 7, 4, 19, 86, 2, 3, 50, 68, 86 and 61 that I remember were still in the game, ALL STARTERS. The announcer must not have been paying attention.

LHS 2SONS
09-12-2009, 08:39 PM
As longs as I can remember the LG Coaches have always stood on the Visitor's side platform. Never thought anything wrong with it!

tigerfan09
09-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by TIGER FAN
Tigerfan09 - So are you a coach???????? Have you ever filled the shoes of a coach?????
So, making the playoffs last year was a crappy season?????? Hmmmm GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!! Fairweather fan

when was the last time Wharton won a bi-district game?

Antec
09-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Both Wharton dressing rooms are very, very small and have limited space

There is not much room for the players no sooner the coaches

As long as I can remember a few Wharton coaches have always stood outside.

The pressbox is small and cramped as well sometimes with radio stations broacasting the game

My room is wider then the press box. I've seen smaller press boxes though in Class A and 2A

1st and goal
09-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by maestro
the reference is to the fact that wharton coaches were placed on the visiting side at giddings last year with a card table in front of them. Still, a somewhat embarassing story for wharton, if the details are true.

Yea, I remember this game vaguely. I think it was played on a Wednesday in order to beat the hurricane and give Wharton a chance to hurry and get back to evacuate.

Didn't realize there was any press box issues going on but could certainly understand it if they were returning the favor this year.

Maybe our coach last year had flu too....

1st and goal
09-12-2009, 10:05 PM
I can understand if Wharton has a bone to pick. For the last 5 years or so, it almost always seemed that when Giddings was in R3, we played the Tigers in the 1st round of playoffs. The games seemed to be played fairly clean best I can recall.

Last years game in Giddings there were a few incidents of personal fouls.

swineflu
09-12-2009, 10:07 PM
I've coached as visitors in both stadiums.

Are you sure Wharton has a visitor box? I thought we stood on top of the pressbox as the guest coaches. It's been a while though.

Giddings put us on the visitor side too. The only thing in their defense was that it was full of radio/media people.

Bottom line is that it does not matter where the coaches go. A nice pressbox is great but it's not like every school has them. Just ask and they normally let you know....and you can avoid that situation.

Antec
09-12-2009, 11:09 PM
One of the niceist press box in 5A is at The Rig in Pearland

also Round Rock

Sweeny is pretty good for 3A

Columbia is kind of small

Needville is small and never enough space

Stafford is adequate

Been in Edna's only once way back in the 80s

Columbus is fine, Brookshire Royal was okay,. Palaciios okay

La Grange was okay but its been at least 15 years since I've been in their's

Lamar Cons is good, Brazosport in Freeport is big,

Van Vleck medium but had wireless internet.

Never been in Bellville's, Gonzales, Yoakum, Goliad, Cuero, Smithville,

Some of the real small ones are in East Bernard, Louise, Tidehaven,

gtownfan
09-13-2009, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by JohnnieLightnin
I saw the game last year; hurricane comin' in and the Wharton coaches were told to sit on the visitors side and the pressbox had two empty rooms. I know this is not the only team Giddings has done this to. I don't know what Giddings has against Wharton; Wharton has never been any competitive threat to them. I guess the Giddings folk don't like it when they are treated the way they treat people (Golden Rule). Anyway, saw this years game and Giddings is a force to be reckoned with; if there is a better team out there, I haven't seen 'em. At the end of the game: 7, 4, 19, 86, 2, 3, 50, 68, 86 and 61 that I remember were still in the game, ALL STARTERS. The announcer must not have been paying attention.

I stand corrected. Could be that since we actually have a radio station broadcasting all our games, the space has become limitied (I think they started doing that last year or the year before).

Wharton actually had a somewhat nice spot for the coaches on the visitor side and since it did not rain, the only problem was dodging the crickets!

There were a lot of starters still in at the end of the game. Mostly on offense and the lines. The defense did have a lot of 2nd teamers in the secondary and line backers (could tell by the clean uniforms). Not sure why #7 was in at the end. Wharton was blitzing every play and nothing was being learned. #3 and #4 both came off limping.

Boomer
09-13-2009, 08:21 AM
Over here in Cuero, we have plenty of room for everyone. Were all nice folks down here and would love to have any of you. We have a press box on the visitors side for and other coaches.

1st and goal
09-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Giddings had passed a bond to improve the stadium but, the neighboring Tx DOT was unable to sell some of their land to accomplish the deal. (Stadium is close to the property line)

I believe they were going to "swap" sides. Making the current home side into the visitors' side and rebuild the current visitors' side bigger than the current home side.