PDA

View Full Version : Football- Extra Point Question

hookandladder
09-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Team sets up to kick extra point, kick is blocked back behind line of scrimmage , offensive player picks up ball runs into endzone. What's the call.

LH_Tuff
09-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
Team sets up to kick extra point, kick is blocked back behind line of scrimmage , offensive player picks up ball runs into endzone. What's the call.

2 point conversion.

Emerson1
09-11-2009, 05:40 PM
There can also be a 2 point safety, just ask a&m fans.

coach
09-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
There can also be a 2 point safety, just ask a&m fans.

actually its a 1 pt safety

blowfish
09-11-2009, 11:07 PM
1 point safety... I have to admit I would have lost big money betting on that one. I had never heard of it until now.

hookandladder
09-12-2009, 09:00 AM

Let's make sure everyone is clear on what I am saying, after kick is blocked the holder picks up ball and runs into endzone. Are you saying the team that was kicking the extra point is awarded the points, if so is it 1 point or 2 points.

wimbo_pro
09-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Let's make sure everyone is clear on what I am saying, after kick is blocked the holder picks up ball and runs into endzone. Are you saying the team that was kicking the extra point is awarded the points, if so is it 1 point or 2 points.

I am pretty sure thats 2 points for the team attempting the field goal

SintonFan_inAustin
09-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Let's make sure everyone is clear on what I am saying, after kick is blocked the holder picks up ball and runs into endzone. Are you saying the team that was kicking the extra point is awarded the points, if so is it 1 point or 2 points. i would think the ball is dead at the spot the holder picked it up as it wouldnt be a fumble as the defender would have to possession of the ball first for it to be considered a fumble.

wimbo_pro
09-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
i would think the ball is dead at the spot the holder picked it up as it wouldnt be a fumble as the defender would have to possession of the ball first for it to be considered a fumble.

Now you have me totally confused.

sinton66
09-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Not sure, but think any blocked kick is a live ball. If the kicking team picks it up and runs it in, it's their score. Should only be a one point conversion. Could be mistaken, though.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Not sure, but think any blocked kick is a live ball. If the kicking team picks it up and runs it in, it's their score. Should only be a one point conversion. Could be mistaken, though. now you have me confused lol. I just remembering Leon Lett running to cover a block kick on that snow game against Miami. But the question was it didnt go past the line of scrimmage so now i'm thinking you're right :)

LH_Tuff
09-12-2009, 09:16 AM
If the kick is blocked and does not cross the line of scrimmage, either team can advance the ball.

grahampaw
09-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Behind the neutral zone team A can advance it for 2 pts , anywhere in the field of play team b can advance it for 2 pts as well.Not one point.

Eradicator
09-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Yea it happened to me in '91 when I was in a super techmo bowl playoff game...I had the game won as I blocked the PAT and the KICKER, for whatever reason, was the fastest guy on the field and he scooped it up, scored the 2 point conversion and smashed my super techmo superbowl dreams!!! Then, I went to class and got a job. :(

blowfish
09-12-2009, 11:40 AM
While safeties are generally worth two points, they are worth one when they occur during a point-after attempt.

College football rules allow either team to score a one-point safety after a touchdown. Say that Team B blocks Team A's extra-point attempt, and a player on Team B picks up the ball on the 1-yard line. Looking for an opening, the player with the ball runs backwards voluntarily into his end zone, where he is tackled. Team A receives one point for the conversion safety, and the score is now 7–0. Team A then kicks off from its own 30-yard line, as after any touchdown. A conversion safety has occurred at least once in the NCAA, in a game between Texas and Texas A&M in 2004. Following the Longhorns TD from a blocked punt, the ensuing PAT was blocked and recovered by a Texas A&M player on the one yard line. The player tried to make a return, but was tackled in his own endzone for a one point safety.

Although exceedingly unlikely, college football's rules also allow the defensive team to score a one-point conversion safety on a PAT or conversion try. One possible scenario: Team B blocks Team A's extra-point attempt, and a player on Team B picks up the loose ball and runs towards the opposite end zone. Before reaching the goal line, he fumbles the ball and it is recovered by a player from Team A, who then voluntarily runs into his own (Team B's) end zone and is tackled. Team B would score one point for the conversion safety and the score would then be 6–1. No team has ever scored a defensive conversion safety in a college football game. However, the rule is notable as being one of just two ways a team may finish a game with a score of exactly one point in American football. The second way is a forfeit in American college or high school football. For example, when Team A forfeits, the final score is 1–0 for Team B.