PDA

View Full Version : Mustangs host tough Loboes - Sweetwater / Monahans Article

Phantom Stang
09-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Mustangs host tough Loboes
Written by Ron Howell
Thursday, 10 September 2009

Though it doesn’t quite rank with Abilene High vs. Cooper or Brownwoood vs. Stephenville, this Friday’s Sweetwater-Monahans con-test at Mustang Bowl figures to once again be one of the better high school matchups in West Texas.
And while it’s just a pre-district game that will have no effect on his team’s play-off chances, Sweetwater head coach Craig Slaughter is hoping the Mustangs can get their first win after an uncharacteristic 0-2 start.
But Monahans, which has five offensive and seven defensive starters back from a 10-3 regional semifinalist, may be the Mustangs’ toughest opponent yet. The Loboes (1-0) were idle last week after beating Midland Christian 43-27 in their season opener.
Sweetwater will have a slightly altered lineup after last week’s 20-14 overtime loss to Seminole, Slaughter said. Ken Norman is moving from receiver to running back, while Cole Rhoades is shifting from center to left guard and Sam Nemir will move to the other guard po-sition. Dylon Adames will replace Rhoades at center.
Monahans, on the other hand, may be without quarterback Quincy Titus, who missed the team’s season opener due to injury.
Slaughter said that while the Mustangs played better than in their Week Zero loss to Burkburnett, “We’ve got to do a little better.
“Offensively, we’ve got to sustain drives and defen-sively, we’re giving up too many big plays.”
Slaughter also said keeping his players on the field will be a top priority and that the team had done more conditioning after a number of Mustangs suffered cramps in the second half against Seminole.
Sweetwater got its run-ning game untracked last week. Led by A.J. McCoy, who ran for 167 yards, the Mustangs rushed for 227 of their 259 yards. However, Sweetwater completed just 4 of its 19 pass attempts.
Bo Bugarin led the defen-se with eight solo tackles, six assists and a fumble recovery. B.J. Walker and Clint Jay also recovered fumbles and Kris Mayes deflected two passes. Walker had six solo tackles and McCoy and Norman five apiece.

Sweetwater Red
09-11-2009, 02:21 PM
I knew I should have waited on you a little bit
longer. :doh:

Phantom Stang
09-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I knew I should have waited on you a little bit
longer. :doh:
Had you posted it already?:confused:

Sweetwater Red
09-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Had you posted it already?:confused:

Yeah in the GotW thread. I didn't wanna steal your glory, but I
was beginning to wonder if you were going to get a chance to. Lol

Great article btw.:D

Phantom Stang
09-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Yeah in the GotW thread. I didn't wanna steal your glory, but I
was beginning to wonder if you were going to get a chance to. Lol

Great article btw.:D
No problem!:)
Your right though, cut & paste is about all the information I can provide since I don't live in S'water any more.:D