PDA

View Full Version : Best team in the state?

shamu85
09-11-2009, 10:37 AM
I know this is a 3A board, but.....

I saw LT beat Cedar Park last night 54-17. I saw them play several times last year and thought at the end of the season they were the best team in the state regardless of classification. I think they might be just as good or better this year because of their D. They lit up a pretty decent 5A team last night, completely dominating on both sides of the ball. I can see somewhat of a dynasty being built out in Lakeway.

Old Tiger
09-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Brewer is a sophomore I believe and has filled the shoes of Garrett Gilbert very nicely. He'll be on a lot of teams recruiting radar by the end of this year. They could very likely keep the streak going up until the state championship.

hookandladder
09-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Brewer is a sophomore I believe and has filled the shoes of Garrett Gilbert very nicely. He'll be on a lot of teams recruiting radar by the end of this year. They could very likely keep the streak going up until the state championship.

I think Brewer is a junior, could be wrong regardless he will be a major recruit.

shamu85
09-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Brewer is a sophomore I believe

Actually, he's a junior, along with about 5 other playmakers on offense, and Griffin Gilbert is just a sophomore and looks like he is going to be a pretty good reciever.

Old Tiger
09-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by shamu85
Actually, he's a junior, along with about 5 other playmakers on offense, and Griffin Gilbert is just a sophomore and looks like he is going to be a pretty good reciever. Yeah I've heard about the young Gilbert...and I'm sure he'll get an offer from Texas to come play receiver due to his brother.

PPSTATEBOUND
09-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Has to be Celina...just ask one of their fans...:inlove:

WildTexan972
09-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
Has to be Celina...just ask one of their fans...:inlove:

Celina is not the best in the state, but we ARE the best BY FAR on 455.....not even close....

STANG RED
09-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
Celina is not the best in the state, but we ARE the best BY FAR on 455.....not even close....

455? Whats that, some east texas dirt road? :D

Phantom Stang
09-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Sweetwater of course!!:cool:

I know they won't win the most games, and probably won't go as deep in the playoffs even if they make it out of district... but they're still the best team in the state IMO.:clap: :clap: :clap:

catgut
09-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Until proven wrong I would say Longview is the best team in the state.

Buckeye80
09-12-2009, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by catgut
Until proven wrong I would say Longview is the best team in the state.

And you would be correct!!:clap:

Z-RO
09-12-2009, 03:05 AM
Toss up between Longview and Lake Travis

Old Tiger
09-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by catgut
Until proven wrong I would say Longview is the best team in the state. Didn't Lake Travis beat Longview last year? I'd say lake Travis because of the previous two state championships and winning streak.

Rabid Cougar
09-12-2009, 09:36 AM
LT destroyed Longview last year in Waco. Is Brewer another in a line of former UT players kids at LT?

Buckeye80
09-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
LT destroyed Longview last year in Waco. Is Brewer another in a line of former UT players kids at LT?

I guess I must've misunderstood the topic. I could have sworn it meant, "Who IS the best team" not "Who WAS the best team"!

Maroon87
09-12-2009, 12:19 PM
I would say that at least in 4A it's LT until someone proves otherwise.

Buckeye80
09-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I would say that at least in 4A it's LT until someone proves otherwise.

Using that same logic, is Prosper the best team in the state in 3A?

Old Tiger
09-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
Using that same logic, is Prosper the best team in the state in 3A? no carthage is ;)

Buckeye80
09-12-2009, 12:35 PM
no carthage is ;)

If you throw "UIL style" logic in, then you would be right! "C" comes before "P" in the alphabet!:D

DDBooger
09-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Using that same logic, is Prosper the best team in the state in 3A? what logic are you using to say Longview is better than LT? LT annihilated them last year and appear as good if not better if that's possible. LT will likely win the title by a substantial margin.

Buckeye80
09-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
what logic are you using to say Longview is better than LT? LT annihilated them last year and appear as good if not better if that's possible. LT will likely win the title by a substantial margin.

So neither team graduated anyone? Both identical teams are on the field now? Oh that's right! Mr. "All World Everything" Gilbert isn't there anymore. I think that's a pretty good base for my logic. He engineered the majority of the destruction last year!

Old Tiger
09-12-2009, 12:50 PM
So neither team graduated anyone? Both identical teams are on the field now? Oh that's right! Mr. "All World Everything" Gilbert isn't there anymore. I think that's a pretty good base for my logic. He engineered the majority of the destruction last year! In case you missed it his backup is damn good too. Plus the little Gilbert is a pretty dang good receiver.

DDBooger
09-12-2009, 12:52 PM
So neither team graduated anyone? Both identical teams are on the field now? Oh that's right! Mr. "All World Everything" Gilbert isn't there anymore. I think that's a pretty good base for my logic. He engineered the majority of the destruction last year! Answering a question with a question...Again, I simply asked what rationale are you using to suggest Longview is now the better team? Brewer would have started last year for most programs. He waited his turn and he's performed as well. LT will roll Longview again IMO (which is really all this is)

Buckeye80
09-12-2009, 12:59 PM
LT will roll Longview again IMO (which is really all this is)

Write this down so you can throw this in my face later if something crazy happens.
NO HIGH SCHOOL in the state, LT, Southlake Carroll, Cedar Park, NOBODY could "roll" the Lobos this year!!!

DDBooger
09-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Write this down so you can throw this in my face later if something crazy happens.
NO HIGH SCHOOL in the state, LT, Southlake Carroll, Cedar Park, NOBODY could "roll" the Lobos this year!!! :D ;) you got it!

Buckeye80
09-12-2009, 01:47 PM
:D ;) you got it!

And I enjoy my crow medium rare if it should come to it! :D

DDBooger
09-12-2009, 01:53 PM
And I enjoy my crow medium rare if it should come to it! :D you like it still chirping, check! ;)

waterboy
09-12-2009, 02:17 PM
I feel like this: Lake Travis is still #1 until somebody knocks them off, just like I believe Carthage should be #1 in 3A for the same reason. Do I think LT could beat Longview this year......no....but I still say LT has to be beaten first. Say all you want about how good LT is, we'll just have to wait and see, but this Lobo team is NOT the same team that LT beat last year. They have improved by leaps and bounds, while LT lost a lot of their stars. That alone tells me that the Lobos are probably good enough to beat LT this year.....we'll just have to wait an see. The same can be said about Carthage. Do I think Carthage is the best team in the state this year......no....but I still think they will have to beaten first.

Buckeye80
09-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Fair enough! We will see how it all falls out in December.:clap:

bigwood33
09-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I feel like this: Lake Travis is still #1 until somebody knocks them off, just like I believe Carthage should be #1 in 3A for the same reason. Do I think LT could beat Longview this year......no....but I still say LT has to be beaten first. Say all you want about how good LT is, we'll just have to wait and see, but this Lobo team is NOT the same team that LT beat last year. They have improved by leaps and bounds, while LT lost a lot of their stars. That alone tells me that the Lobos are probably good enough to beat LT this year.....we'll just have to wait an see. The same can be said about Carthage. Do I think Carthage is the best team in the state this year......no....but I still think they will have to beaten first.
Are we SURE that Carthage was the best 3A team in the state last year? I know that they are right down the road from you but Prosper MAY have been the best 3A team last year (they DID win the Div 1 Championship) and this year they haven't allowed a point...just sayin':thinking:

shamu85
09-12-2009, 06:27 PM
NO HIGH SCHOOL in the state, LT, Southlake Carroll, Cedar Park, NOBODY could "roll" the Lobos this year!!!

Wow, put me down for the observation of you eating crow. I watched LT the other night against CP. I saw them last year against LV in the finals, and several times including against Killeen in the playoffs. They are better this year overall. Their offense might have been a tad better last year with Gilbert and McCrary and Aydam, but their D is unbelievable this year. They only gave up 3 points to CP on Friday. The other 14 came on a tipped interception return and against the 2nd D, which btw, shut down CP after that TD. While I only saw LV last year in the finals, I didn't see anything in their D last year that could stop LT's offense.

I was not even comparing LT to LV, but to the top 5A teams in the state.

martwayne
09-12-2009, 07:24 PM
why the heck did the navasota and bellville thread get messed up over some stuff that doesnt even talk about the game or the two teams playing thats messed up

44INAROW
09-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by martwayne
why the heck did the navasota and bellville thread get messed up over some stuff that doesnt even talk about the game or the two teams playing thats messed up

did you maybe post on the wrong thread? or am I missing something?

Buckeye80
09-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by shamu85
Wow, put me down for the observation of you eating crow.

I will eat crow if Longview gets "rolled" as was suggested.

NastySlot
09-13-2009, 10:14 PM
speaking of best teams...anyone seen Cedar Hill play...spoke one of my former players that told me they were pretty talented and one of the best he's ever seen..........anyone else seen them?