PDA

View Full Version : UMHB Crusaders QB

44INAROW
09-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Noack Article (http://www.tdtnews.com/story/2009/9/11/60555)

Ready for his shot: Experienced junior quarterback Noack relishing starting role for No. 3 UMHB
by Eric Drennan | Assistant Sports Editor
Published: September 11, 2009

After making four starts as a sophomore, Mary Hardin-Baylor’s Kyle Noack knows he’s the No. 1 quarterback this season as the No. 3 Crusaders begin their season at Southern Nazarene (Okla.) at 6 p.m. Saturday. (Scott Gaulin/Telegram)BELTON - When Kyle Noack talks about his role with the Mary Hardin-Baylor football team, he sounds somewhat like a guy who just purchased a top-of-the-line sports car - extremely proud but also in awe of the machine he's about to drive.

“I don't know if I feel more pressure. It's more of a sense of ownership,” said Noack, who is heading into his first season as the Crusaders' full-time starting quarterback. “I would prepare last year, not knowing if I was going to start that week or be a backup. Naturally, that's going to give you a different mindset.

“But now this is my team. I'm the man this year, and I have to prepare and be ready to handle that every week.”

Noack will make his fifth collegiate start at 6 p.m. Saturday, when third-ranked UMHB opens its season at Southern Nazarene (1-0) in Bethany, Okla.

A 5-11, 185-pound junior who was an all-state football and basketball player - as well as the Class 3A 400-meter champion - during his high school career at Cuero, Noack has experience guiding the Crusaders' offense. He threw for 618 yards and six touchdowns to go with 107 yards and a score on the ground in four starts as a sophomore.

But even though he has those memories to draw on, he knows the expectations for a full-time starter are different than those for a spot starter.

“Getting those four starts last year were big for me because I can look back and draw on those experiences, instead of everything being new in a game situation,” he said. “But I've had to work more diligently knowing that I have to prepare myself for playing every single week through December.”

Though he's quick and accurate, Noack doesn't possess blazing speed or a rocket arm. He is, however, hailed by coaches and teammates for his leadership and execution.

He's a craftsman, a player who gets the most out of his athletic skill and rarely makes mistakes.

“I think I'm an intelligent player,” he said. “I pick up concepts and schemes very easily, and I have good field vision. Things just make sense to me when coaches are explaining something.

“And my parents have instilled in me the belief that things don't just come to you unless you work for them. I'm not naturally the most gifted person. So I've had to work to get my spot.”

Known for his accuracy and ability to throw the ball coming out of high school, Noack's passing skills needed only some fine-tuning when he arrived at UMHB. His skill as a runner in the Crusaders' option-based rushing attack, though, was a different story.

“In high school, a designed run for the quarterback was called maybe twice a year in 15 games,” he said. “I really didn't run the ball in high school, so I wasn't used to taking 10 or 15 hits a game. And when they call your number here, they expect you to run the ball efficiently and gain yards.”

But it's the challenge of learning to become an option quarterback and effectively directing the Crusaders' offense that Noack relishes.

“I think it's awesome to see a group of guys come together from all over and bond and work toward a common goal,” he said. “Of course, there's also the competition aspect of it. Everyone likes to compete and get out there in a fight with 21 other guys on your side.”

And after two years of work to remake his style of play to fit UMHB's offense, Noack is ready to unveil the finished product.

“Having to learn how to run the option was - maybe not a hassle - but definitely different at first. Almost nobody likes change at first,” he admitted. “But I've become a lot more comfortable with it and it's second nature to me now.”

Sort of like riding a bike, or driving a souped-up sports car.

edrennan@temple-telegram.com

Good Luck Kyle....... :)

Cowboy_Up
09-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Must be a good team with a Gobbler started at QB and a Cowboy starting in the secondary:)

d0tc0m
09-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Cool article. My brother goes to UMHB, so I'm gonna try and get down there to see them play this season!

Old Tiger
09-11-2009, 12:22 PM
A lot of 3a players on UMHB roster

Brian Scott - Cameron Yoe
Bryson Tucker - Caldwell
Kyle Noack - Cuero(Of course)
Jeremy Salinas - Wharton
Ben Beckworth - Palestine
Tracy Cooper - Crockett
Freddy Williams - Caldwell
Bronson Shaw - Brownwood
Chris Miles - Mexia
David Wassermann - Gatesville
Chandler West - Burnet
Mica Spicer - Robinson
Robert Curtl - Palestine Westwood
Nathan Adams - West
Brett McGee - Robinson
David Danforth - Robinson
Keith Daniels - Fairfield
Dexter Fulbright - Waco Connally
Eli Gage - Caldwell
Lloyd Grissom - Wharton
Johnny Guzman - Wharton
Nick Havemann - Caldwell
Mark Havens - Caldwell
Luke Howard - Gatesville
Danny McElroy - Burnet
Seth Magevaro - Robinson
Bubba Richards - Burnet
Williams Samford - La Vega
Kortlin White - Rockdale

Cowboy_Up
09-11-2009, 01:02 PM
You left one off.
#22 Rocky Vaclavick from Edna.

But your right 3A is well represented on a very good team.

44INAROW
09-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
You left one off.
#22 Rocky Vaclavick from Edna.

But your right 3A is well represented on a very good team.

maybe Forman will do a piece on Rocky later on in the season.. I enjoy the articles Mike writes about the college players etc.

ProudHornetMom
09-27-2009, 06:56 PM
We watched UMHB play McMurray last night. It was our first UMHB game. We were impressed with the game, team, coaches...and really enjoyed the game atmosphere.

Chopblock
09-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Pete Freudenberg is a class person and it shows with the program he has built at UMHB

Gobbla2001
09-27-2009, 08:45 PM
The poster formerly known as We're Back!...

rojosgirl
09-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Went to see Kyle and the Cru play TLU last weekend in Seguin. It was great to see him in action again.