PDA

View Full Version : La Grange-Needville Sub-Varsity Games

hookandladder
09-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Where is the football field located at, also can you recommend any good eating places in Needville.

IHStangFan
09-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
Where is the football field located at, also can you recommend any good eating places in Needville. Howdy hook,

The school is right off of Hwy 36 as you head south out of town. The turn down into the stadium is inbetween the admin buildings and the school/gym. If you pass the new HS...you've gone too far, turn around.

As far as places to eat, there are about 3 mexican food spots in town that are supposed to be decent. If you want a good pizza or calzone...down in the "old" part of town is Simon's Pizza. If you want decent seafood....you can't go wrong w/ "Pier 36" in the middle of town.

Good luck to both teams and GO JAYS!!

hookandladder
09-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Howdy hook,

The school is right off of Hwy 36 as you head south out of town. The turn down into the stadium is inbetween the admin buildings and the school/gym. If you pass the new HS...you've gone too far, turn around.

As far as places to eat, there are about 3 mexican food spots in town that are supposed to be decent. If you want a good pizza or calzone...down in the "old" part of town is Simon's Pizza. If you want decent seafood....you can't go wrong w/ "Pier 36" in the middle of town.

Good luck to both teams and GO JAYS!!

Thanks IHStangFan. Will try one of them, should be a short game. Our Freshmen run the ball 99% of the time, No spread offense like the Varsity.

jaydog34
09-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Well dont count on it being a slow game at the jv level cause I saw the game last week vs. Splendora and the JV was running an offense I have never seen before. It was very tricky and very hard to defend. And marched right done the field on Slpendora. No idea what you call it but there OC on the JV has one creative mind to come up- with it. Have fun trying to figure it out LEPS.

hookandladder
09-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by jaydog34
Well dont count on it being a slow game at the jv level cause I saw the game last week vs. Splendora and the JV was running an offense I have never seen before. It was very tricky and very hard to defend. And marched right done the field on Slpendora. No idea what you call it but there OC on the JV has one creative mind to come up- with it. Have fun trying to figure it out LEPS.

What about the freshmen.

jaydog34
09-10-2009, 01:34 PM
They run teh conventional wing T the varsity runs but are very sneaky as well. They had a huge run last week on a reverse so they are pretty tricky as well.

firstdown
09-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Your sub-varsity teams run different offense's than your varsity? I understand them not using the full compliment but still...

We start ours running the same O and D in middle school. Heck some of our pee wee football teams throw it around :D

jaydog34
09-10-2009, 01:40 PM
I didnt say it wasnt the same offense i said they have a lot more gimmicks in the offense. not sure if the varsity runs it or not.

firstdown
09-10-2009, 01:45 PM
the JV was running an offense I have never seen before.

My bad I guess I misunderstood you.

Never been to varsity game?

jaydog34
09-10-2009, 01:46 PM
yes i have but they have never been in a situation to run a trick play they have been up big in both games. i guess no need in tipping your hand right.

hookandladder
09-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by firstdown
Your sub-varsity teams run different offense's than your varsity? I understand them not using the full compliment but still...

We start ours running the same O and D in middle school. Heck some of our pee wee football teams throw it around :D

We do not run same offense as Varsity, I assume we will be changing our offense next year. We ran the spread as 7th&8th grader but changed to the ram offense this year, kids really liked the spread. Our new offense is pretty boring, not many kids involved on offense anymore.

IHStangFan
09-10-2009, 02:27 PM
We do not run same offense as Varsity, I assume we will be changing our offense next year. We ran the spread as 7th&8th grader but changed to the ram offense this year, kids really liked the spread. Our new offense is pretty boring, not many kids involved on offense anymore. I see what you did there..... ;)

IHStangFan
09-11-2009, 02:33 AM
So how did these games turn out?

hookandladder
09-11-2009, 06:02 AM
So how did these games turn out?

Our feshmen lost 13-6, Needville has a couple of big RB's that were prety hard to bring down. Our offense was pretty bad, with the type offense we run and only run about 3 or 4 different running plays it does not take much defense to stop us. Our only score came on a kick return for about 70 yds, pretty hard to watch this type of offense especially when you have 3rd down and 15 to 20 yds. and you run a dive play. It is very frustrating for my son and others on this team, I try to tell him it's a growing process. Also JV game was cancelled due to lighting and rain.

IHStangFan
09-11-2009, 06:06 AM
Our feshmen lost 13-6, Needville has a couple of big RB's that were prety hard to bring down. Our offense was pretty bad, with the type offense we run and only run about 3 or 4 different running plays it does not take much defense to stop us. Our only score came on a kick return for about 70 yds, pretty hard to watch this type of offense especially when you have 3rd down and 15 to 20 yds. and you run a dive play. It is very frustrating for my son and others on this team, I try to tell him it's a growing process. Also JV game was cancelled due to lighting and rain. Dang...another canceled game huh? It's not looking good for tonight either :( So where did you guys end up and eat?

TRENCHES06
09-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Our feshmen lost 13-6, Needville has a couple of big RB's that were prety hard to bring down. Our offense was pretty bad, with the type offense we run and only run about 3 or 4 different running plays it does not take much defense to stop us. Our only score came on a kick return for about 70 yds, pretty hard to watch this type of offense especially when you have 3rd down and 15 to 20 yds. and you run a dive play. It is very frustrating for my son and others on this team, I try to tell him it's a growing process. Also JV game was cancelled due to lighting and rain.

Seems to work for Liberty Hill....

allforball
09-11-2009, 07:59 AM
LH has run it for years, since their jr. high days and probably in pee wee. LG ran the spread the last two years, so I would think it will take a little time for the offensive line to adjust to a more physical blocking/running attack.

LHS 2SONS
09-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Dang...another canceled game huh? It's not looking good for tonight either :( So where did you guys end up and eat?

Het Stang, You would not believe where we ate even if we told you. TEXAS BURGER

La Grange got about 3 inches Wednesday afternoon and has not rained since other than a few sprinkles. The field is in great shape, just keep the lightning away.

onsideanytime
09-11-2009, 09:25 AM
yea jaydog, you are right about that offense that the Needville Jv will run, they ran it on us and we thought we had it figured out at hallftime, and then they came back 2nd half and ran more stuff off of it, we watched it on film afterwards and you think you know were they are going and then they do completely opposite, pretty interesting, made us look foolish a couple of times, we sniffed it out and stopped it for a big lose, and i figured he would have gotten out of it, but they just came back with more and scored 3 plays later, who is the OC? i think i know who it is, if so i will see him at some track meets, i am going to try and talk to him about, not sure if he will give any of secrets away

IHStangFan
09-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by LHS 2SONS
Het Stang, You would not believe where we ate even if we told you. TEXAS BURGER

La Grange got about 3 inches Wednesday afternoon and has not rained since other than a few sprinkles. The field is in great shape, just keep the lightning away. Ah MAN! Ya'll should have tried Pier 36 or one of the mexican joints. I know it's my hometown and all...but that's the WORST Tex. Burger I've ever eaten at, LOL.

There's A LOT of rain off the coast moving inland. Just read where they say there is a slight chance it could get organized and form a tropical depression! :eek:

Accuweather is predicting a 51% chance of rain in La Grange from 3pm to 9pm :(

I'm w/ you amigo....rain, although not optimal....can still be played in.....STAY AWAY LIGHTNING!!

jaydog34
09-11-2009, 09:36 AM
i was really hoping to see that offense again last night. im not real sure who to oc for that jv is but im very impressed. it seems like everything you do as a defense you will be wrong. i have never seen anything like that and if you have a good qb like the jv does then you will get picked apart. when you fall back for the pass they run the ball, i wonder if they call it in the huddle or they run whats open judging by what the defense does. crazy. i like going to the jv games just for that. as for the freshman i said they were tricky and sure enough ran a double pass that almost scored and a reverse that went to the house. great offensive minds.

IHStangFan
09-11-2009, 09:43 AM
So....did the JV play? I thought they got canceled?

Scores I got:

Needville Fresh. 13
La Grange Fresh. 6

JV scores??

jaydog34
09-11-2009, 10:16 AM
jv did get cancelled last night, i was referring to teh freshman as far as the tricky stuff, but i really wanted to see the jv again.

IHStangFan
09-11-2009, 10:20 AM
jv did get cancelled last night, i was referring to teh freshman as far as the tricky stuff, but i really wanted to see the jv again. AH...okay..gotcha. Thanks jd!

BB21
09-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Im telling you those jv and freshman games are fun to watch. I dont know where they come up with these things, but they will have a defense standing there looking dumb! And the coaches just hopping around like chickens with there head cut off :D Its really entertaining!

IHStangFan
09-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by BB21
Im telling you those jv and freshman games are fun to watch. I dont know where they come up with these things, but they will have a defense standing there looking dumb! And the coaches just hopping around like chickens with there head cut off :D Its really entertaining! LOL!! BB, you paint such a vivid picture w/ your words.....I can almost SEE those coaches. :clap: :D

hookandladder
09-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by BB21
Im telling you those jv and freshman games are fun to watch. I dont know where they come up with these things, but they will have a defense standing there looking dumb! And the coaches just hopping around like chickens with there head cut off :D Its really entertaining!

Not our offense, pretty much same play everytime with the freshmen group. As stated in earlier post we did run the spread offense for 2 years and now we run the gun, the blocking scheme must be more difficult because our RB's are hit most of the time before they even get the hand off. Passing in this offense is also very difficult, when given time it can be successful. If this is the offense of the future, we have some serious work to do to get better.

Ex-Kat52
09-11-2009, 10:45 AM
I am going to have to make it to a couple of Fresh. and JV games this year. I usually make it to a few, but don't usually pay attention to what's going on. It sounds to me like the OC of that JV team is a master mind. It seems that if what he is doing is so tricky that someone would show up in the ole mirror defense. That will defend anything.

IHStangFan
09-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Ex-Kat52
I am going to have to make it to a couple of Fresh. and JV games this year. I usually make it to a few, but don't usually pay attention to what's going on. It sounds to me like the OC of that JV team is a master mind. It seems that if what he is doing is so tricky that someone would show up in the ole mirror defense. That will defend anything. Hey EK...welcome to the board!! Good to have another Needville fan around!

hookandladder
09-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by TRENCHES06
Seems to work for Liberty Hill....

Is it still working or was it working because of the talent that was there for the good years, seems like you must have talent first with great coaching to be successful. A system without talent will only get you so far, just an opinion.

IHStangFan
09-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Is it still working or was it working because of the talent that was there for the good years, seems like you must have talent first with great coaching to be successful. A system without talent will only get you so far, just an opinion. I'm no coach or anything...but it would seem to me that the KEY to an offense like you described would be a BRUISER O-line w/ a couple of bruisers in the back field as well. 3-4yds and a cloud of dust w/ each snap.

hookandladder
09-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Ah MAN! Ya'll should have tried Pier 36 or one of the mexican joints. I know it's my hometown and all...but that's the WORST Tex. Burger I've ever eaten at, LOL.

There's A LOT of rain off the coast moving inland. Just read where they say there is a slight chance it could get organized and form a tropical depression! :eek:

Accuweather is predicting a 51% chance of rain in La Grange from 3pm to 9pm :(

I'm w/ you amigo....rain, although not optimal....can still be played in.....STAY AWAY LIGHTNING!!

Texas Burger also, always in a hurry on school nite. Yes, the burger was not very good, I remember the old Texas Burger with 2 big patties.

IHStangFan
09-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Texas Burger also, always in a hurry on school nite. Yes, the burger was not very good, I remember the old Texas Burger with 2 big patties. Yeah...that Texas Burger is horrible. Usually if we have "fast food", we order from Simon's Pizza. Pretty good pizza...and ever better calzones!

jaydog34
09-11-2009, 11:17 AM
i didnt hear anybody complaining about the offense from la grange when ty gunn was running the show, seems like is not x's and o's but jim and joes. and why is it that everytime an offense struggles it is the scheme how come it is never the defense that caused this to happen. just a question.

allforball
09-11-2009, 12:01 PM
i didnt hear anybody complaining about the offense from la grange when ty gunn was running the show, seems like is not x's and o's but jim and joes. and why is it that everytime an offense struggles it is the scheme how come it is never the defense that caused this to happen. just a question.

LG will have to figure out what offense will work best for the future. Might be a combination of the two they are using now, the spread (Varsity) and the RAM (misdirection stuff LH runs that our JV and F are running). Ty was an exceptional athlete himself, but he also had a great cast with him. Big offensive line and a great running back and tight end. Opposing teams had to defend 3 playmakers and a fight against a tough O-line.

hookandladder
09-11-2009, 12:23 PM

Ty Gunn could have a ran any offense and would have been successful, he was extremely talent with a very talented group around him. Remember we were also 1 win away from back to back State Championships without Ty the next year. I would not say we are complaining about the offense we are running just a little disappointed because we were having some success last year with the spread offense and it was more fun for more players. Just looks like the players are a little confused on offense, lining up wrong, running into each other in the backfield. Just pretty hard to watch and enjoy, just an armchair opinion.

footballguru
09-11-2009, 01:31 PM
You are right hook, anytime an offense struggles it is hard to watch. I went to a game the varsity played against Caldwell a couple of years ago and the spread looked pretty bad that day, I think it was more Caldwells defense making the offense look bad. But you have to think there is a reason for the change, I do not know if this years freshman beat needville, yoakum or lockhart last year, if they did in the spread and they lost to all three of them in the slot then it might not be the best choice to have switched, fill me in. The slot -t offense should involve the same amount of players as the spread. There should be 4 players running the ball and every once in a while throw to a wide open te.

hookandladder
09-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by footballguru
You are right hook, anytime an offense struggles it is hard to watch. I went to a game the varsity played against Caldwell a couple of years ago and the spread looked pretty bad that day, I think it was more Caldwells defense making the offense look bad. But you have to think there is a reason for the change, I do not know if this years freshman beat needville, yoakum or lockhart last year, if they did in the spread and they lost to all three of them in the slot then it might not be the best choice to have switched, fill me in. The slot -t offense should involve the same amount of players as the spread. There should be 4 players running the ball and every once in a while throw to a wide open te.

As 8th grader last year their season started after these first couple games so we did not play any of these teams. We will know more starting next week, as for as comparing what we did against teams from last year. It just seems this year our line is having a hard time adjusting to the blocking scheme for the slot-t- offense, it seems the line blocked a lot better out of the gun. We seem to be in 3rd and long just about every series, maybe if we would add a few gun plays this would open things up. I am not questioning the coaches decision, just stating it is very hard to watch. Yes, the defenses will have played so far have really dominated us, they are putting 8 or 9 in the box which is extremely difficult to run against. Bottom line if the coaches beleive in this offense, this young group of freshmen will work hard to make it work.

LHS 2SONS
09-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Stang and the Needville posters, it has been raining in LG since 12:00, not a hard rain but steady, if it continues this until game time the field will be soft.

I also heard all of the boys that had flu like symptons will play tonight. 2 starters on offense and 1 starter on defense

hookandladder
09-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Last year we ran the slot-t-offense and the gun, so that is why i am a little surprised we are not doing the same this year. We ended last year playing Sealy for the District Championship, which was a lot more fun to watch.

IHStangFan
09-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by LHS 2SONS
Stang and the Needville posters, it has been raining in LG since 12:00, not a hard rain but steady, if it continues this until game time the field will be soft.

I also heard all of the boys that had flu like symptons will play tonight. 2 starters on offense and 1 starter on defense dangit....I wish ole Mother Nature would quit showing up on game day....but so far this season she's seen fit to make an appearance every week w/out fail. :(

I understand we need rain back home...but dang! LOL.

TRENCHES06
09-11-2009, 02:23 PM
On a positive note, the current 8th graders from La Grange had great success using the slot T behind a big and effective offensive line.

jayfan1
09-11-2009, 07:12 PM
How did the Needville Jr high kids look?

allforball
09-12-2009, 10:18 AM
On a positive note, the current 8th graders from La Grange had great success using the slot T behind a big and effective offensive line.

Congrats to the current 8th graders from LG. I believe this group ran the same offense last year and yes they have some big strong boys on that offensive line aka "bruisers" as mentioned in another post that is needed to execute such an offense.

hookandladder
09-12-2009, 12:09 PM

I assume you watched the 8th grade game and maybe you have seen the freshmen play, so what do you think needs to happen for the freshmen OL and offense to be successful using the slot-t offense.

LH Panther Mom
09-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Is it still working or was it working because of the talent that was there for the good years, seems like you must have talent first with great coaching to be successful. A system without talent will only get you so far, just an opinion.
The good years? 90-19 in 8 seasons + 2 games, with 5 of the 18 coming the first year in the "system". Any "system" is good or bad, depending on talent, coaching, but also (just my opinion here) the belief by the players that what they are running can/will work. If the kids (and parents) don't "buy in", talent will only get you so far.