PDA

View Full Version : What's The Sweetest Win?

Bullaholic
09-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Victory is sweet, but what is the 'sweetest' kind?

Winning when you are an underdog
Winning over your biggest rival
Winning first game after many losses
Winning first playoff game in years
Winning by 30+
Winning in OT
Winning your Homecoming

IrishTex
09-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Great question...

For me anyways....

It's beating your biggest rival...

Cough** Snyder**Cough

:D :D

IHStangFan
09-10-2009, 10:47 AM
In Needville I don't feel that we have any ONE rival that stands apart from the rest. So for me....I'd have to say winning a game when you're the underdog.

Ex-Tiger2005
09-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by IrishTex
Great question...

For me anyways....

It's beating your biggest rival...

Cough** Snyder**Cough

:D :D

I know what is sweeter! Its beating your rival in the play-offs on a missed extra point to go to the semis. Now that is a sweet feeling!!!

trojan37
09-10-2009, 11:34 AM
I would have to say losing to a team during the regular season, then getting a rematch in the playoffs and being on the winning side when it really matters.

Rocket
09-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Being the underdog and destroying a team. Brownwood vs. Frenship in 2002.
We were 8-4 and they were 12-0 #3 in the State.

We utterly and completely destroyed them from kickoff to the end...Never seen anything like it. They were chanting 12-0 and 3 to Go! Before kickoff... Um no... At the end we were chanting 12-1 your season is done.
:D

STANG RED
09-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Winning a state championship is by far the sweetest win of all.
But since that wasnt a choice, I had to vote Winning when you are the underdog.
We'll get to taste that one again this Friday.;)

waterboy
09-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Rocket
They were chanting 12-0 and 3 to Go! Before kickoff... Um no... At the end we were chanting 12-1 your season is done.
:D
:devil: That's pretty clever! I guess they underestimated y'all!:D

rockdale80
09-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Every win is sweet. I hate losing...at anything.

SintonFan
09-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Victory is sweet, but what is the 'sweetest' kind?

Winning when you are an underdog
Winning over your biggest rival
Winning first game after many losses
Winning first playoff game in years
Winning by 30+
Winning in OT
Winning your Homecoming
I'd add coming from behind in the last few seconds to win a playoff game. Sinton-Hitchcock in the early 90s was probably the sweetest game I have seen.

Send_the_House
09-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Winning Rival games is only slightly better than a normal win.
Winning first game after many years, I've never experienced.
Winning First Playoff game is good... only because all Playoff wins are good.
Winning by 30+ is pointless.
Winning in OT is dramatic, but still just a win.
Winning homecoming is no better than any other game.

My opinions of course.

I chose any Playoff win.

jp744
09-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Winning when your not supposed to. I think. Everything just falls into place and all the breaks go your way in the game. That to me is the sweetest win.

TheDOCTORdre
09-10-2009, 01:07 PM
I know this is referring to high school, so to answer in that regards I would have to go with winning against your biggest rivals whe you're and underdog in the playoffs in OT.

But aside from high school football the sweetest win would have to go something like this...

4th and 5 the National Championship on the line right here. (ball snapped dramatic pause)

HE'S GOING FOR THE CORNER...HE'S GOT IT

VINCE YOUNG SCORES!!!
http://bealonghorn.utexas.edu/whyut/photos/images/young_vince_td.jpg

Ex-Tiger2005
09-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I know this is referring to high school, so to answer in that regards I would have to go with winning against your biggest rivals whe you're and underdog in the playoffs in OT.

But aside from high school football the sweetest win would have to go something like this...

4th and 5 the National Championship on the line right here. (ball snapped dramatic pause)

HE'S GOING FOR THE CORNER...HE'S GOT IT

VINCE YOUNG SCORES!!!
http://bealonghorn.utexas.edu/whyut/photos/images/young_vince_td.jpg

Thats beautiful!!!!

pirate4state
09-10-2009, 01:27 PM
stomping a mud hole in your bitter rival's hind parts after their star player talks trash to local newspapers about your star player!

45-0 :D

kaorder1999
09-10-2009, 01:35 PM
ive been a part of the beating the rival....and winning as the underdog and such. But when we won after being winless in 31 consecutive games before I got here....that was the best feeling!!

Bullaholic
09-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
ive been a part of the beating the rival....and winning as the underdog and such. But when we won after being winless in 31 consecutive games before I got here....that was the best feeling!!

I agree, kaorder. Those other wins make everyone pound their chests and beam with pride, but the one where the players don't feel like they're losers anymore makes everybody's eyes cloud up.

TheDOCTORdre
09-10-2009, 01:53 PM
oh also one of the sweetest wins I was apart of was the final game of my sophmore season in Early. We were 9-0 and shooting for undefeated and midway through the 3rd quarter the game was well in hand and coach started subing people in just for fun, one of the funniest subs I saw came in the 4th quarter as our coach subed in my cousin at nose guard...my cousin is like 5 ft nothing and weighs like a buck 40 at the time and usually played linebacker, i was playing tackle when he subed in and couldnt stop laughing to see him line up against the big boys...it was a sweet victory

Farmersfan
09-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Losing to your bitter rival in week zero by 1 point in overtime, listening to them talk crap the entire year and then meeting them again in the 3rd round and beating them 43-6 on the way to a state title. Nothing sweeter!

Who-dun-it!!?
09-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
I know what is sweeter! Its beating your rival in the play-offs on a missed extra point to go to the semis. Now that is a sweet feeling!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

21-20!!!!

Ex-Tiger2005
09-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

21-20!!!!

instant classic!

LE Dad
09-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Underdog all the way. Need some Underdog magic tomorrow. Lol:D

GrTigers6
09-10-2009, 06:23 PM
My sweetest win would be coming back from a large deficit to win against your best rival AKA China Spring. :D :stirpot:

GrTigers6
09-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
My sweetest win would be coming back from a large deficit to win against your best rival AKA China Spring. :D :stirpot: Still waiting for that win however. :D :D

Maroon87
09-10-2009, 06:34 PM
I would say a win after losing for a long time....

Two examples for me...in 1985, after we upset heavily favored Beeville in the season finale to make the playoffs for the first time in 29 years, and in 1988 when we beat our biggest rival Gregory-Portland for the first time in 23 years.

Each time I had to pick up the newspaper the next day to really believe it had happened.

Those were the sweetest wins I can remember and were early milestones in what has become a long winning tradition for us.

BullsFan
09-10-2009, 10:02 PM
For the most part, I'd go for beating the rival, although I think that's only true when you have a real archrival, nemesis type team. In our case, it's pretty sweet to see the field littered with blue Eagle feathers at the end of a game. ;)

If I had to single out one game, though, it would be having a winning season for the first time in memory and beating Springtown, a team that was considered a powerhouse, to move on to the playoffs. Springtown had already written us off, and they had chartered buses and made hotel reservations for the playoff game the following week. Now THAT was fun. Does that count as winning a game where you're an underdog?

sinton66
09-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Sweetest for me was beating GP for the first time ever. Then twice more in the next four games.

WOS87
09-10-2009, 11:43 PM
Sweetest for me was beating Jasper in the 1986 Quarterfinals after they upset us in district earlier the same season...

:cool:

Not sure which category that would fit into (I suppose beating a rival would be the closest)

Rabid Cougar
09-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
I would have to say losing to a team during the regular season, then getting a rematch in the playoffs and being on the winning side when it really matters.

+1

AND Winning a hard fought, down to the wire game......Also the hardest lose to take.

Footballhudini
09-11-2009, 12:37 AM
there's nothing like blowing out the same team twice in a season

LE Dad
09-11-2009, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
+1

AND Winning a hard fought, down to the wire game......Also the hardest lose to take. :ditto: :ditto: :ditto: :ditto: :ditto: