PDA

View Full Version : Region II Week 2 Primer

charlesrixey
09-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Week 2 has Region II starting to heat up-after Celina's loss against TCA-Addison last week several teams hope to prove themselves worthy of the #1 ranking. However, Celina itself will have something to say about it as they face Daingerfield in this week's Game of the Week.
The rest of the weekly matchups are below, as finished:

-9-3A-
Argyle @ Vernon
Argyle won this battle last season and their QB Hedlund has played quite well to start this one. Vernon has improved but i don't think this is the week they will topple a top 25 team.
Pick: Argyle, 35-10

Gainesville vs. River Oaks Castleberry
Gainesville has surprised a few folks by going 2-0 after only 1 win all of last season. River Oaks looks to be a contender for a playoff spot in 11-3A but after a 34-10 Leopard victory last season, i don't think they've closed the gap enough on a much improved Gainesville squad (which beat Decatur 27-17 last week).
Pick: Gainesville, 45-21

Prosper @ Bridgeport
Prosper's defense has been perfect to start the season; Bridgeport's offense may the best they've faced yet, but the Eagles have certainly proven they aren't going away any time soon.
Pick: Prosper, 28-7

Sanger vs. Lake Worth
Sanger is about on par with where they were last year; Lake Worth is not, yet. Sanger won by three touchdowns last year-and should do so again.
Pick: Sanger, 45-14

Whitesboro vs. Pottsboro
Pottsboro is not the 2A Semifinalist they were last year after losing 21 starters. Whitesboro should gain a measure of revenge.
Whitesboro 21, Pottsboro 7

-10-3A-
Anna vs. Melissa
Anna continues to struggle after their move to 3A. 2A Melissa is coming off of a defeat at the hands of Lucas Lovejoy, a team they beat last season. Melissa should be too much offensively for the slowly improving, but still learning Anna squad.
Pick: Melissa, 35-0

Bonham @ Clarksville
Bonham hasn't been the same team they were up until a few years ago. However, they handled Clarksville last year and should do so again.
Pick: Bonham, 21-14

Commerce @ Gunter
Commerce has struggled once again this season, falling last week 9-6 to Crandall. Gunter continues to be one of the better 2A programs in the area. This one should be close, but Gunter should get the win, while Commerce will find no solace with Daingerfield coming next week.
Pick: Gunter, 14-13

Paris @ Greenville
Paris is coming off of a great win against a down 4A team in Pine Tree, and a good game against the defending 4A champions in Sulphur Springs. They beat 4A Greenville last year in a close game, and i look for good things this week and the rest of the season.
Pick: Paris, 35-21

Van Alstyne @ Howe
Van Alstyne, coming off of a 7-4 season, is 2-0 and should have no problem with troubled Howe, a 2A team they beat by six touchdowns last year.
Pick: VA, 52-0

-11-3A-
Carrollton Ranchview @ Crandall
Carrollton Ranchview beat Crandall 52-3 last year. The score may be closer, but the result should be the same. Ranchview may be missing a few playmakers from last year's squad but they're still a team to be watching as the season progresses.
Pick: Ranchview, 42-21.

Dallas Madison vs. Dallas Woodrow Wilson
Dallas Madison is smarting from a third consecutive loss to Kennedale, 21-14. Wilson may be smarting from last year's close loss. I predict another close one.
Pick: Madison, 28-17

Dallas Roosevelt vs. Waco La Vega
Roosevelt hasn't been the same since a top 10 finish in 2007. La Vega is still smarting from the title game loss last year.
Pick: La Vega, 51-10.

FW Carter-Riverside @ Dallas Jefferson
Pick: Carter-Riverside 35-17

FW DH-Jarvis vs. North Dallas
Pick:

Lake Worth @ Sanger

River Oaks Castleberry @ Gainesville

-12-3A-
Alvarado vs. FW Boswell
Crandall vs. Carrollton Ranchview
Ferris @ TCA-Addison
Kaufman @ Canton
Venus @ Maypearl
-13-3A-
Emory Rains @ White Oak
Farmersville vs. Wills Point
Lucas Lovejoy vs. Frisco Liberty
Nevada Community vs. Dallas First Baptist
Princeton vs. Pittsburg
Quinlan-Ford vs. Caddo Mills
-14-3A-
Canton @ Kaufman
Eustace @ Edgewood
Kemp vs. Mabank
Mineola @ Grand Saline
Van @ Palestine
Wills Point @ Farmersville
-16-3A-
Atlanta vs. Carthage
Mount Vernon vs. Cooper
New Boston vs. Queen City
Pittsburg @ Princeton
Liberty Eylau vs. Gilmer
Pleasant Grove vs. Ashdown, Ark

charlesrixey
09-09-2009, 04:01 PM
-12-3A-
Lake Worth @ Sanger
See above

River Oaks Castleberry @ Gainesville
See above

-12-3A-
Alvarado vs. FW Boswell

Crandall vs. Carrollton Ranchview
see above

Ferris @ Pilot Point
Ferris has played well, losing 28-7 to Celina and beating Fairfield 31-24 last week. This game was never played last season, but Pilot Point looks good and i expect this one to be quite close.
Pick: Pilot Point 32-24

Kaufman @ Canton
Kaufman looks for some revenge after a 2 point loss last year; Kaufman looks on the upswing while Canton is coming off of a loss. I think Kaufman wins straight up this year.
Pick: Kaufman 34, Canton 21

Venus @ Maypearl
Pick: Venus 21, Maypearl 3

-13-3A-
Emory Rains @ (2A) White Oak
Rains is coming off of a destruction against Gilmer (76-12) while White Oak just beat Longview Spring Hill 23-20. Doesn't look good for Rains.
Pick: White Oak, 34-24

Farmersville vs. Wills Point
Farmersville looks to redeem itself after a 27-0 loss to Prosper. Wills Point won over 4A Lindale, 34-14. This looks to be a fairly close one, but if Farmersville wants to show its legitimacy this is a chance.
Pick: Farmersville, 24-13

Lucas Lovejoy vs. Frisco Liberty
Lovejoy has impressed so far this season, avenging two losses and looking good on offense and defense. Liberty won 35-7 last year; a win here would surely make the Leopards feel good about their chances in district.
Pick: Lucas Lovejoy, 31-30

Nevada Community vs. Dallas First Baptist
Community has struggled this year; DFB should provide a reprieve
Pick: Community, 28-14

Princeton vs. Pittsburg
Princeton is looking better this year but Pittsburg is a cut above.
Pick: Pittsburg, 34-14

Quinlan-Ford vs. Caddo Mills
Pick: Caddo Mills, 34-10

LE Dad
09-09-2009, 07:02 PM
I see 2 games of particular interest.
1 Greenville V Paris - Greenville has gotten off to a good start and I believe they are still coached by Gainsvilles former coach that lead the Leopards to the title in the mid 2000's Paris should win but I think it will be tuff.

2. Atlanta V Carthadge Atlanta beat 4A Royse City last week. I am curious to see how good the Rabbs are and this will definitely do that. I expect Carthadge to win big but I thought that last week too.