PDA

View Full Version : Newton deserves respect

oldbuff78
07-24-2002, 10:14 AM
I just passed through Jasper last week and stopped and the Golden Corral to eat. While i was there, i overheard many people eating making fun of Newton's football team. It was hard for me having to listen to that while i was eating. I finally asked the young lady why they were making so much fun of a town and team that had such success. She really did not have a answer, but a older man quickly told me they were a joke. I told him that I watched Newton and Giddings play this past year, and I was very impressed with Newton. I would just like to make a point to all teams and rivals, it's ok to talk a little trash the week you play each other, but what i heard was uncalled for. I wish Jasper good luck this year, but have some consideration for others too!!

sammy
07-24-2002, 10:44 AM
Teams on top always get stuff like that. When Sealy was on top you should have heard all the lies folks made up about them. Newton was very good when we played then & are very well coached. Let them make fun & ya'll kick their a$$.

duckbutter
07-24-2002, 11:09 AM
OldBuff thanks for the post, most people in Jasper think that the title is their's and it will be a cakewalk to get it. Sad thing is I really do think Jasper will win the Div 1 title this yr but I don't think it will be a cakewalk.
A few weeks ago I made a post about Newton and Jasper having "bad blood" between them and got blasted by some Jasper supporters, however I still feel this is the case. Two yrs ago Newton pounded Jasper by 30+ points and last yr they beat us by 3. I think a lot of people in Jasper are still waiting to give us a good spanking.
Newton can and will compete against Jasper and I can't see any team in 3A rolling over for them without a fight. We WILL be ready for them and they know it.....

j_dog
07-24-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by oldbuff78:
I just passed through Jasper last week and stopped and the Golden Corral to eat. While i was there, i overheard many people eating making fun of Newton's football team. ..... !

Well, it wasn't me, and hopefully no one I know. If someone in Jasper was knocking Newton's football team, or anything else about Newton for that matter, then it was just stupid comments. Newton is a good team, a good town, and very good people. Of course, there is a natural rivalry between the two towns that really has nothing to do with football. I hope it was in the spirit of that rivalry that such comments were made.

On behalf of Jasper fans, I apologize to Oldbuff and to Newton fans. There are plenty positive ways fans can promote their own teams without trying to tear down other teams.

Bulldog92
07-24-2002, 11:29 AM
Who were the Jasper supporters that "blasted" you, Duckbutter? I guess I'll have to do some research, but if you remember, my comments were very similar to j_dog's. We've always been a quiet supporter of Eagles football and root for you guys to do well with exception of when you're playing Jasper. Maybe there is some bad blood now based on what the guy said he heard at the Golden Corral, but it certainly wasn't that way when I was growing up down there in the 80's and early 90's. I have no ill will towards you guys and will be rooting for you to take D2 this year. It would be great to see both teams win state titles this year. I am aware of how tough things are in that area and it would be a good morale boost for all concerned. I'm gonna try to fly down for that game and hope to see a clean battle between two outstanding football teams. Go Dogs...

oldbuff78
07-24-2002, 01:17 PM
I am not holding all the people in Jasper accountable for 6 or 7 opions, but it was quite shocking to me that it was 3 families. I even told the man that being a coach, I knew Jasper would be good in 2002 and hoped to see them in the finals. He did not have any care for anybody outside Jasper city limits and told me that maybe I should move to Newton and join the rest 0f the hillbilies. I told him I would pray for him.

Bulldog92
07-24-2002, 04:31 PM
Anyone that knows anything about football in that area respects Newton as much or more than they do Jasper. They probably have the best coach in the area in Curtis Barbay and the best athletes you could ever find in a school that small (350 students). Either team is capable of winning the district and anyone who slights Newton is nuts. The matchups on both sides of the ball look pretty even and it'll come down to turnovers and special teams. Jasper has more experience and depth, but I'd give Newton the edge in coaching until I know what Coach Lauve can do with the Bulldogs. It'll be at most a 6 or 7 point game going either way...

Big Tarp 74
07-26-2002, 11:34 PM
I know what you mean. I have had people putting down Rio Grande Valley teams. One comment was made that none of 32-AAA could compete in any other division. I reminded them of the 25 playoff appearences we have had. I remember netwon very well, they gave cameron yoe in 1981 a run for their money. Port Isabel fan have plenty of respect for netwon. As for Jasper, they are a 4A moving down to 3A. They had a very good season last year. There a chance Jasper will win it all, but I do not agree with anyone putting down an area, or a school.

I just passed through Jasper last week and stopped and the Golden Corral to eat. While i was there, i overheard many people eating making fun of Newton's football team. It was hard for me having to listen to that while i was eating. I finally asked the young lady why they were making so much fun of a town and team that had such success. She really did not have a answer, but a older man quickly told me they were a joke. I told him that I watched Newton and Giddings play this past year, and I was very impressed with Newton. I would just like to make a point to all teams and rivals, it's ok to talk a little trash the week you play each other, but what i heard was uncalled for. I wish Jasper good luck this year, but have some consideration for others too!!

whatusay2
07-29-2002, 08:19 PM
I grew up in Jasper and I must say that I am embarrassed that you had to hear what you heard. Those people were obviously ignorant. Please don't think that we are all like that. We have much R-E-S-P-E-C-T for Newton. After all, you all have actually won a state championship before. Good luck this season (except when you play us of course)!!!

bc 76
07-29-2002, 08:31 PM
The reason i pick jasper so high of course droping down to 3a,and going as far as they did in the playoffs in 4a.But that doesnot give them a state championship.I saw the jasper bay city game and jasper did not show me anything.The qb was on the run all night and the big linemen were getting blownoff the line,and bay city offense line was not that big.Jasper going to have to take it one game at a time cause class 3a is tough.

oldbuff78
07-29-2002, 08:33 PM
Thank you for all your feedback!!!