PDA

View Full Version : Should the clock have stopped??

gtownfan
09-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Situation - Giddings/La Vernia game. With 1:07 left in the game, La Vernia has a 1st and 10 from the 50. They have no timeouts.

On first down, a pass over the middle, almost intercepted, but incomplete. The clock is not stopped and continues running.

On second down, a pass toward the side line goes out of bounds (not caught). The clock is not stopped and continues running.

On third down, quarterback is sacked. Game over.

I'm just curious. Should the clock have stopped on 1st and 2nd down, at least till the ball is reset and the referee starts the 25 second clock? I watched the referee and he looked at the scoreboard and made no attempt to stop the clock.

Not sure if it would have made any difference, but the clock just ran from the snap on 1st down till the game was over, no stoppage at all. (I'm a Giddings fan, so I'm glad it ran, but it just did not feel right)

Am I missing something? Did the rules change?

I'm had some say that since the game was delayed 75 minutes that the coaches might have agreed to let the clock run, unless there is a timeout or change of posession. Is that possible?

jockcity33
09-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Clock should have stopped ofter 1st down and after second down, should have continued running after the sack.

navscanmaster
09-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Like above, unless the coaches had agreed to let the game clock run, the clock should have stopped after 1st and 2nd down, but kept running after 3rd down.

hawkfan
09-07-2009, 03:54 PM
What was the score?

fanofthegame
09-07-2009, 03:54 PM
stopped in giddings to see the last of this one. sat on vis. side and they were upset about this when it happened. asked one ref on the way out and he said that both coaches agreed to have clock on a "continue run" during that time. lv coach got out coached on this one by the way his offense was not ready. giddings showed alot of class and teamwork the way they took their time and marched down for the go ahead score.

gtownfan
09-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by fanofthegame
stopped in giddings to see the last of this one. sat on vis. side and they were upset about this when it happened. asked one ref on the way out and he said that both coaches agreed to have clock on a "continue run" during that time. lv coach got out coached on this one by the way his offense was not ready. giddings showed alot of class and teamwork the way they took their time and marched down for the go ahead score.

Thanks! That explains it. Didn't know they did this at the varsity level. Seen it done at sub-varsity before, but never varsity.

STANG RED
09-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by fanofthegame

With it being a non district game, so basically meaning nothing, I guess I can see why the coaches made the decision. And it was probably the right one. But I'm sure some of LV fans arent really happy with it. I'm not sure I would be either.

1st and goal
09-07-2009, 08:34 PM
I was very confused over this and this explains it perfectly. As the clock ran, all the Giddings fans looked puzzled at each other and wondered what's up? I looked thru binocs at LV's coaches and they werent jumping up and down screaming and throwing their playbooks on the turf. So this all makes sense now. Never have seen it before. I wouldn't have agreed to this as a coach except they did have a long drive home.