PDA

View Full Version : Another Hero Taken From Us

OldBison75
09-07-2009, 12:23 PM
I read this story on KBTX.com and since it involves a graduate and former athlete from Cameron--I wanted to share. Please pray for this family and all of the families of those that are serving anywhere in the world to protect our freedom.

Soldier Killed In Afghanistan Attack Was Cameron HS Graduate
A 34-year-old Army paratrooper who was killed in an attack in Afghanistan was a graduate of Cameron Yoe High School where he played football and participated in the One Act Play competition.
Reporter: By Megan Fleetwood, KWTX-TV

Story 0 Comments Font Size: Army 2nd Lt. Darryn D. Andrews, 34, of Dallas died Friday in Paktia province, Afghanistan of wounds he received when enemy forces attacked his vehicle with a homemade bomb and a rocket-propelled grenade, the military said.

Andrews was a 1994 graduate of Cameron Yoe High School, where he played football and participated in the One Act Play competition, family friend Rod Holcomb said Monday.

Andrews was an offensive and defensive lineman on the team that his twin brother Jarrett quarterbacked, Holcomb said.

Andrews father, R. G. “Andy” Andrews, said his son’s wife is pregnant and due to deliver soon.

Darryn Andrews’ 2-year-old son celebrated his second birthday Monday, R.G. Andrews said.

Andrews was assigned to 1st Battalion, 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division, from Fort Richardson, Alaska.

Holcomb said Darryn desperately wanted to join the military but because of an ankle injury and later an attack of appendicitis, he had to try three times before he made it in.

He finally enlisted after completing a degree at Southwest Texas State University, Holcomb said.

IrishTex
09-07-2009, 12:29 PM
My prayers go out to him and his family.

God rest his soul.

IHStangFan
09-07-2009, 04:40 PM
:(

PhiI C
09-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Prayers from Sinton.

SA Girl16
09-07-2009, 05:57 PM
R.I.P. :(

BaseballUmp
09-07-2009, 07:41 PM
I remember we would have him as a substitute while he was trying to re-inlist he seemed to have a great soldiers mentality, tough, firm and goal oriented. prayers are sent to his family and friends

zebrablue2
09-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Prayers sent!!!

lulu
09-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Such a loss. God be with his family.

aggie
09-08-2009, 03:09 PM
went to high school with him....he was a good guy....its a sad story.