PDA

View Full Version : QB Potts not satisfied with win in first Tech start

IrishTex
09-06-2009, 06:51 AM
From the Abilene Reporter News (http://www.reporternews.com/news/2009/sep/05/qb-potts-not-satisfied-with-win/)

LUBBOCK — It wasn’t the effortless performance Taylor Potts expected in his debut as a starting quarterback for Texas Tech, but the Abilene High graduate got the job done.

The junior quarterback threw for 405 yards and two touchdowns, and he rushed for two more as the Red Raiders turned away North Dakota, 38-13, on Saturday at Jones AT&T Stadium.

Potts, who completed 34-of-48 passes, also threw three interceptions, including two in the first half, and Tech struggled to put the Sioux away, leading only 21-6 at the half.

“Honestly, I felt like I held this offense back,” Potts said. “I did a lot of things I know I shouldn’t do and a lot of things that aren’t my style or my technique, you know.

“For one, I was kind of throwing off my back foot, several times, which I don’t normally do. That’s not how I play or throw the ball. I definitely will fix that. I have a commitment to the team to fix something like that if there’s a problem.”

The junior is replacing Graham Harrell, Tech’s all-time leading passer and the NCAA career touchdown leader.

Potts did get some playing time as Harrell’s backup. He played in 15 games the previous two seasons, completing 55-of-85 passes for 660 yards and five touchdowns. Last season, Potts appeared in 10 games, throwing for 260 yards and two touchdowns and a pick.

Potts said he enjoyed getting his first start at quarterback. He said it was the first time he played a full game since his days at Abilene High.

“It was a blast playing,” he said. “I’m really glad we got the win. But personally, I’ve got a few things to work on, and that will start tomorrow.”

Texas Tech coach Mike Leach thought it was typical of a first game of the season for Potts.

“Bear Bryant used to say that defense, you have to stop 50 percent of the plays,” he said. “He said offense is going to screw up on their own half the time, and so then you have to stop the 50 percent where they don’t screw up. And so I think, you know, which illustrates the point, just getting in sync hand stuff like that sometimes takes a little time.”

Leach said Potts appeared sharp at times, but then faltered at other times.

“But again, I think that offensively, you know, it’s a little different that just flying to the ball,” Leach said. “I think that you have to execute something in order for the defense to be accountable. And I think there were too many spots offensively where we played with eight instead of 11. Although I would have been shocked had that not been the case at this point.”