PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to the old days?

blowfish
09-05-2009, 10:09 AM
When you played football games in the rain and snow?

Dont get me wrong never ever should we try to play in lightning!

If that was the reason for every cancellation then I stand corrected, I just cant believe that eventually the lightning didnt pass. I know it did here and games went on. Of course they were late in finishing but the did finish.

I can remember a game I played in where it rained all day and the field was basically mud. Toward the end of the 2nd quater a cold front blew through. By the time halftime was over the field was frozen. We had a blast and it will always be one to remember. And before you ask no one was hurt during the game.

Johnny 5
09-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by blowfish

If that was the reason for every cancellation then I stand corrected, I just cant believe that eventually the lightning didnt pass. I know it did here and games went on. Of course they were late in finishing but the did finish.

I can remember a game I played in where it rained all day and the field was basically mud. Toward the end of the 2nd quater a cold front blew through. By the time halftime was over the field was frozen. We had a blast and it will always be one to remember. And before you ask no one was hurt during the game.

because mihijo might get sick. Then the parents will blame the school, and file a lawsuit.

blowfish
09-05-2009, 10:20 AM
I guess you are right.... Isnt that how you get swine flu? From playing in the mud?

Old Dog
09-05-2009, 10:29 AM

Old Dog
09-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Back in the stone age we played Santa Anna in a driving sleet storm. The ice stuck on everybody and when you hit someone the ice made a very loud crunching sound and ice flew all over the place.............it was a blast.

And I recall playing Early in the rain on their red dirt feild. We were in our white uniforms and by game end we were wearing dirt red uniforms. That too was a blast. I don't think our Moms ever got those whites clean (yes in those days moms did the washing.....the school didnt have any washers)!

Sorry about the double post.............

blowfish
09-05-2009, 10:37 AM
My Junior year at Abilene High we spent all of two adays getting ready to play on the turf up in Wichita Falls in August. We ran and ran and ran getting ready for the heat on that turf. We leave Abilene that morning and it starts raining. By the time we get there the stadium has three inches of water on the turf. We brought the wrong cleats for wet conditions and no rain gear. The game was a blast. When we watched the film the next morning we all had cramps from laughing so hard at all the slipping and sliding. One of our return guys slid over 15 yards after being tackled.

Johnny 5
09-05-2009, 10:40 AM
. . . One of our return guys slid over 15 yards after being tackled.

Awesome!

:clap:

garciap77
09-05-2009, 10:42 AM

They were going to have to wait 30 minutes after the last lighting strike. They were estimating the time to start the game would be around 10:00pm and they agreed it would be too late of a started. I was hearing all this on the school's hand radio that one of the school's employee was monitoring. I wished we could of played.

Went from this:
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/DSC_5506.jpg

To this:
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/DSC_5564.jpg

:(

P.S. There was lots of purple there. The LH people were nice! Great Cheese Hamburger and Coke!:)

Old Dog
09-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Another humerous tale from the past is about our Bulldog mascot. The coach had a young Bulldog and a Junior High kid was in charge of his care. At the Early game it started raining really hard, so the kid put the dog in his Dad's NEW Chevy so he wouldn't get soaked. WELL....the Bulldog didn't like being left alone, SOOOOO he "totally destroyed" the interior of the car. Needless to say the kid's dad was not happy. I never heard if insurance covered those damages..................

LH Panther Mom
09-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
I wished we could of played.

P.S. There was lots of purple there.
Me too! I kept having to look twice at people to figure out which set of purple heads they supported. ;)

Glad to see that you got home okay! It was good to have a little pre-game M&G with you! :)

garciap77
09-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Me too! I kept having to look twice at people to figure out which set of purple heads they supported. ;)

Glad to see that you got home okay! It was good to have a little pre-game M&G with you! :)

Hey! The Cheese Burgers were only $3.50 on the visitor's side!:(

:D