PDA

View Full Version : Caldwell at Waco Connally

cntdwn
09-05-2009, 03:50 AM
Who wins?

Cadetdad
09-05-2009, 09:02 AM
So the Cadets get Caldwell next. I would expect Caldwell to be a heavy favorite, but last night the Cadets did much better in their second game running the T. Its all new to them but the offense was running better, still need alot of work and if we can get the defense some help with players coming back we may keep it interesting....after last years blowout in Caldwell i look for my Cadets to be ready to go.

HEMOTOXIC
09-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Hornets Roll!

cntdwn
09-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Cadwell's gonna have to really keep its head above water after posting some humiliating blowouts last year randomly.

The program's consistency is still unproven. Last year, they'd blast a seemingly better team and then turn around and fumble a game away to a team they could've beaten to hush doubters.

The secret is playing 4 full quarters and not trying to pull off a miracle in closing minutes. Also, not resting on a lead. One sloppily executed play can mean an easy TD for an opponent and it's another uphill battle.

The Hornets can expect hard-fought road games from Connally, Rudder and Cameron more than anyone else because of lopsided 2008 scores. Revenge can be hell.

cntdwn
09-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Any feedback from Cameron posters on Connally?

Rabid Cougar
09-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Sorry Remo,
I ve got to go with Caldwell. I want Connally to win but I must go with a known commodity and I really don't like Caldwell from back in the day.

cntdwn
09-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Sorry Remo,
I ve got to go with Caldwell. I want Connally to win but I must go with a known commodity and I really don't like Caldwell from back in the day.

What's your beef with Caldwell? Can't wait to hear this.

CHS_CG
09-07-2009, 10:20 AM
When I was in high school Connally knocked us out of play offs my senior year in round 1 then the year after we beat 5th rank navasota in round 1 then got knocked out by Connally AGAIN.... and yes still have hard feelings lol...

I say Caldwell wins but I am not sure it will be a blow out.

LH Panther Mom
09-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by cntdwn
And it starts..... :doh: :doh:

Rabid Cougar
09-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by cntdwn

No beef ...Just another amongst many of Cameron's long standing rivalries. Caldwell beat the dog crap out of them last year. Are the Yoemen supposed to play kissy nice with a team that the school has played for 50 someodd years?

Cadetdad
09-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Caldwell should be the overwhelming favorite but i dont suspect the Cadets to just give it over to them, they are out to prove alot with the new scheme and seniors they have have alot of heart and really coming together well. I am looking forward to what hopefully will be a much better game than that crazy hurricane match up last year. That was one of the worst experiences i have ever had attenting a ballgame, band didnt even arrive til end of the first. I thik we had 20 fans show up. The Caldwell folks though made it very comfortable for us though knowing what kind of day it had been with the back and forth on to play the game or not and moving it up to an earlier time...definately kudos for the hospitality.....but the butt whooping wasnt so nice....lol...hopefully we do some payback.

Rabid Cougar
09-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Yea they have a problem with with watering their field before games.

Hurricanes, sprinklers and such....

BaseballUmp
09-07-2009, 04:47 PM
:fnypost: :iagree:

ProudHornetMom
09-07-2009, 05:39 PM

:fnypost: Wow...we're blamed for many things but causing a hurricane is a first. ;)

As for the sprinklers...we play Connally and Cameron on their turf. Of course, we'll bring our fire tank trucks loaded for the game.

I don't think the Hornets will take either the Cadets or Yoe lightly.

Splish...Splash:taunt:

Bull's-eye
09-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Caldwell rolls!

cntdwn
09-07-2009, 09:46 PM

yea, theres certainly no fair way Caldwell could beat the invincible oYe. Look at the bright side. You only have to worry about Lexington and Rogers after this year. ;)

beastyboyz
09-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Haven't really heard anything about the opponent, but I'm takin caldwell to win pretty big.
Once their offense gets rollin aint much stopping them.

Hornets by 3 td's

bigYoe
09-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Connally runs the ball down your throat and alot of scats and sweeps but also alot of misdirection. They are a run first pass second offense. They will run it 5 times in a row and then go for the homerun pass for a touchdown which worked once against cameron but was later shut down. To the Hornets, just be ready for the run and then a quick pass out of nowhere.

ProudHornetMom
09-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Heard last night at film that Connally changed from a spread to the Slot T and that they are fast...fast...fast. It's not often we play another Slot T team so will be interesting game. Of course I have confidence in my Hornet team. ;)

Cadetdad
09-08-2009, 01:32 PM
You are correct Hornetmom...they changed from the spread to the slot T over the summer and are working out the kinks. They liked what they saw from you guys and Liberty Hill and decided to give it a try. They have done okay for first two games with the new offense, it gets a little better each week, we just hope we learned to close those holes up the middle that you guys ran through last year. Good Luck to you friday night.

Hornet Mom 2
09-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by ProudHornetMom
:fnypost: Wow...we're blamed for many things but causing a hurricane is a first. ;)

As for the sprinklers...we play Connally and Cameron on their turf. Of course, we'll bring our fire tank trucks loaded for the game.

I don't think the Hornets will take either the Cadets or Yoe lightly.

Splish...Splash:taunt:

I guess if we can bring on a hurricane, a little rain should not be too difficult! There is a 40% chance of rain in Waco tomorrow, and a 30% chance on Friday! Guess the Hornets will be blamed for that too! Doing a rain dance here!! :taunt: :doh:

ProudHornetMom
09-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Cadetdad
You are correct Hornetmom...they changed from the spread to the slot T over the summer and are working out the kinks. They liked what they saw from you guys and Liberty Hill and decided to give it a try. They have done okay for first two games with the new offense, it gets a little better each week, we just hope we learned to close those holes up the middle that you guys ran through last year. Good Luck to you friday night.

Good for y'all making the change! How are your fans handling the move to the slot? Coming from a spread...it's quite a difference. It seems that the slot is one that people either absolutely hate or absolutely appreciate. There's no in between. I guess the absence of the razzle dazzle passes makes the slot seem boring but it isn't. I love chipping away yardage and watching the mis-directs...and then busting loose for a long run. Each year that

It the fans or team get restless with it, tell them to be patient with the change. As the younger ones grow up with the system, it's much easier to learn and to coach. And if you have a coaching staff that will be long term, the better for the program (which is true for any program). Slot's not a system that you keep a couple of years and change with each coaching change. It's a long term committment. Each year it gets better and better.

See you Friday. With both teams running, should be a short game. Maybe the weather will hold off...then again...it's Connally and Caldwell...the weather bowl. ;)

Cadetdad
09-09-2009, 11:03 PM
I actually enjoy the Slot T this year, the spread was getting boring to me. It has been working just as you say, eat up yardage and boom break a big one. Not sure though about the coaching staff, its a put together group this year after our head coach stepped down during summer...so no one knows if this staff will be back next year, but if success comes im sure they will. I enjoy watching teams that run the Slot well, pure football. I do hope for a competitive game though, last year was hard to watch. Be carefull on the drive up, it is a nice long drive as i remember.

ProudHornetMom
09-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Here's to a good 3A football game with safe travel for all and no injuries on either side.

cntdwn
09-10-2009, 05:30 PM
where exactly is the game in Waco? Not sure which stadium.

ProudHornetMom
09-10-2009, 07:11 PM
I think at Mac Peoples Stadium on North Lacy or Cadet Drive. It's near the high school.

Texasbob Stadium information (http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=53)

marlin fan
09-10-2009, 07:23 PM
will any of my caldwell ppl be in Waco friday?

ProudHornetMom
09-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by marlin fan
will any of my caldwell ppl be in Waco friday?

Anyone specific or just Caldwell generic?

We'll have a pretty good turn out....at least we did last week in Shepherd.

marlin fan
09-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by ProudHornetMom
Anyone specific or just Caldwell generic?

We'll have a pretty good turn out....at least we did last week in Shepherd. my mommys and my sisters lol

solocam
09-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Hornets win a close one

Global Swarming
09-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Does Connally have grass or turf?

plpsftball
09-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Grass

87 TIGER
09-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Did Caldwell soak the feild again? Good win Hornets

cntdwn
09-12-2009, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by 87 TIGER
Did Caldwell soak the feild again? Good win Hornets

Oh yea, and Connally officials didn't mind at all. They even helped us crank up the water flow on the fire hydrants on all four corners of the stadium.

As a bonus, the band brought innertubes to float down the 50-yard line as part of its halftime show. It was awesome.

:hand:

ProudHornetMom
09-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Connally has good people and we met several last night. We had a bus issue and one was sent from home for replacement. We arrived at the same time as the replacement bus. The Transportation Director was waiting to guide the bus in and told us that he would have let us borrow a Connally bus and that he felt bad that we had to bring another bus. I didn't get his name but he was very hospitable. One of my friends wanted a program but they were all sold out. A Connally fan overheard her, left and found a program and went out of his way to bring it to her...in the downpour. The concession stand workers were friendly, hospitable and helpful. After the game, one of the police came over to the truck and talked to us about the best way to get out...and then came back to tell us that another route had cleared out. That's just good folks.

I also appreciate that the Connally fans didn't leave because of the rain or score.

Connally has speed and I'd hate to see what they do on a dry field. Good luck with the rest of the season.

Cadetdad
09-12-2009, 01:19 PM
We appreciate those nice words, i was there sitting in the damp rainy conditions as well and to was impressed how many people did actually show up on both sides, our stands are usually full but was still good crowds for the weather. Caldwell definately runs the slot T much better, good for the Cadets to see another t team to see how its done. #3 Reggie was bout the best we had last night, but he is always there for us...the hornets were very balanced and didnt punt all night which says alot in the wet field. We have a long way to go but that is why we play non district games, good luck rest of the way to the Hornets.

Coach BS
09-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Caldwell was balanced? I diddnt think they passed that much.

BURNT ORANGE HORNET 86
09-12-2009, 03:56 PM
We appreciate those nice words, i was there sitting in the damp rainy conditions as well and to was impressed how many people did actually show up on both sides, our stands are usually full but was still good crowds for the weather. Caldwell definately runs the slot T much better, good for the Cadets to see another t team to see how its done. #3 Reggie was bout the best we had last night, but he is always there for us...the hornets were very balanced and didnt punt all night which says alot in the wet field. We have a long way to go but that is why we play non district games, good luck rest of the way to the Hornets. The cadets are a much better team than they were last year. The T takes you a couple of years to get it down but when you do it is fun to watch. Good luck the rest of the year.

cntdwn
09-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Coach BS
Caldwell was balanced? I diddnt think they passed that much.

Why pass more than 20 percent of the time when you're loaded with at least three backs who average 7 to 12 yards a carry?

Coach BS
09-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Ok lets not go too far. I'm very impressed with Caldwell but any of these slot teams or versions of it are not "fun" to watch. If it were such a great offense wouldnt colleges or the pros be running this?

cntdwn
09-13-2009, 06:05 AM
same could be said for the wishbone on the high school level.

I don't see anything "boring" about scoring 137 points in three games.

Rabid Cougar
09-13-2009, 06:56 AM
See.... I told you Caldwell would soak the field. :D

Global Swarming
09-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Lord knows that's the only way we can beat anyone :D

ProudHornetMom
09-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
Lord knows that's the only way we can beat anyone :D

Surely you are joking. :D

ProudHornetMom
09-13-2009, 01:53 PM
We appreciate those nice words, i was there sitting in the damp rainy conditions as well and to was impressed how many people did actually show up on both sides, our stands are usually full but was still good crowds for the weather. Caldwell definately runs the slot T much better, good for the Cadets to see another t team to see how its done. #3 Reggie was bout the best we had last night, but he is always there for us...the hornets were very balanced and didnt punt all night which says alot in the wet field. We have a long way to go but that is why we play non district games, good luck rest of the way to the Hornets.

Goodness...we all wish we had a #3.

LH Panter Mom will tell you that Caldwell's slot looks different than LH's...because of the experience with the slot. LH is pretty much perfect with it, we're still learning and Connally will improve as well each year. Another nice thing is that the coaches that coach the slot help each other and many workshops. Connally will come along with the the slot nicely. Your district foes won't know how to defend against it, you'll be fine.

ProudHornetMom
09-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Coach BS
Ok lets not go too far. I'm very impressed with Caldwell but any of these slot teams or versions of it are not "fun" to watch. If it were such a great offense wouldnt colleges or the pros be running this?

I told you Cadetdad...they either like the slot or hate it. :)

I think the reason colleges and pros don't use the slot is because they have the pick of the absolute best players to have a razzle dazzle program...and most people are entertained more with a passing game...too impatient for a running dominated program. High schools don't always have the pick of the litter and have to find a program that works for their athletes. It happens that in Caldwell, it's the program that has been successful for us. That's my football mom unofficial take on it. ;)

87 TIGER
09-14-2009, 09:39 AM
I'm torn on this offense, I love a good running game but the problem I have seen with a slot team is that when they fall behind by 14pts or so it's hard for them to come back and win because they are not used to a 2min. passing attack. Caldwell runs it pretty well, but I have seen some bad ones over the years and bad ones are really bad. Good luck D-24