PDA

View Full Version : Remember the '05 USC Trojans? The '09 Gators better, pretty sure the Longhorns do

TheDOCTORdre
09-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Do you remember the 2005 USC Trojans, sure we all do. You know who I'm talking about, the team that was all but handed the 2005 National Championship Trophy before the season started. I mean who could blame the media for doing this when you look back at the Trojan squad going into that 2005 season; 14 returning starters, a returning Heisman winning quarterback in Matt Leinart, the 2003 AP National Championship and the 2004 BCS Championship trophy, along with being many sports analysts calling them not only the greatest team of the BCS era but perhaps the greatest team of all time. Looking back at the 2005 preseason coverage of college football it would seem as there would be no reason for any team to even bother to step onto the field with the 05 Trojans. When I take the time to think about it, I can't help but be reminded of a team I can't hearing about these days. Yeah, ladies and gentlemen, when I watch SportsCenter these days, I can't help but think have the 2005 USC Trojans been reincarnated as the 2009 Florida Gators? Let's look at the Gator's squad heading into this season and maybe you will see what I am talking about; 17 returning starters, a returning Heisman winning quarterback in Tim Tebow, the 2006 and 2008 BCS Championship trophy, and not to mention this squad is now being referred to as perhaps the greatest dynasty in the BCS era. Sounds familiar doesn't it? I mean all the analysts have already penciled in the Gators for the SEC championship game and the National championship game and claiming everyone else is just playing for a spot to lose to Florida. The comparisons don't end there for the Trojans and Gators. Preceding the 2005 Trojans was the 2004 Trojans National Championship victory over the Oklahoma Sooners, and preceding this years Gators was the 2008 Gators claiming the National Championship with a victory over, you guessed it, OU, and to take it a step further, both of these National Championship games were played in Miami. The similarities between the 05 Trojans and the 09 Gators are remarkable.
But what does any of this have to do with the Texas Longhorns? We'll lets find out. While the 2004 Trojans were playing OU for the National title, the 2004 Texas Longhorns were defeating the co-champion of the Big Ten, the Michigan Wolverines in the Rose Bowl. Flash foreward to 2008 and while the Gators were prevailing over the Sooners for the BCS crown, the Longhorns were once again beating the co-champions of the Big Ten, however, this time it was the Ohio State Buckeyes, in the Fiesta Bowl. What does any of this have to do with the 2005 Trojans and the 2009 Gators? Well following their Rose Bowl victory over the Wolverines, the Texas Longhorns went on to follow that up with an undefeated season that culminated with a matchup against that "all powerful juggernaut" known as USC in the Rose Bowl for the BCS Title. What ensued was one of the greatest games for a National title in recent memory, with the so called "unbeatable" Trojans being beat by the Vince Young lead Longhorns. SO where am I going with all this? I know the 2009 season hasn't started but you would think that Florida has already claimed the crown and their is no reason to play the games this season, but to those who have already written in the Gators in as National Champions I say this "Remember the Trojans." And to those of you who say that the 2009 Gators will not suffer the same fate as the 2005 Trojans, and that the similarites I have listed are just coincidence, you may be right but just take a look at where this years National Championship is being played...Pasadena, California, and all you have to do is look back a few years to see what happened the last time a National Championship game was played in the Rose Bowl...In my opinion Tim Tebow and the Gators better watch out, because as the past has shown, the unbeatable can certainly be beat and I sure am hoping the Longhorns repeat this little bit of history again

HOOK'EM HORNS

Electus Unus
09-04-2009, 01:27 AM
I've been saying all this for a while now....Pete Carroll remembers

Phil C
09-04-2009, 08:06 AM
The thing is that USC lost several top defensive linemen and if my memory is correct a couple of them were juniors that decided not to return their senior year.

coach
09-04-2009, 10:40 AM
im gonna go out on a limb and say only one team out of ou, florida, and texas wil be in the nc game this year

TheDOCTORdre
09-07-2009, 12:01 AM
in keeping with history repeating itself, the 2005 oklahoma sooners lost their opener to TCU, while this years version of OU lost theit opener to BYU

JHS_c/o_06'
09-07-2009, 01:22 AM
I wrote this the night we lost to LSU in the baseball championship. Mind you my typing is immaculate for having 5 margaritas from Baby A's.

For I Have Seen It Happen 4 Years Ago.

My friends,

I come to you on this day drunk off of Tequila after losing the baseball national championship. Let the tigers have their day. They will never have anything on Texas. So i will tell you a tale of years past and what has happened and what will come to pass. For it has happened before and history is doomed (and in our case, gladly) repeated.

Let us start with the 2004 football season. A sensational new quarterback named Vincent Young from Houston, Texas is prime to take the reigns of the Texas Football program. All goes well until one and only one stumbling block of the year (OU). The rest of the season was finished out with wins until we made it to a BSC Bowl game. That time it was the Rose Bowl against Michigan. A hard fought game that was won at the last second. As quoted by the legendary Longhorn, " We'll Be Back!" Coming into the next football season. The Longhorns were ranked #2, behind the previous national champions the USC Trojans. All year long, we were stuck with that number, 2. We prevailed though, suceeding where we has stumbled the year before. From the start of the season against a weak Louisiana team to the end where we obliterated Colorado for the second time that year. We all know the rest of the story. "4th and 5, Championship on the line.....He's going for the corner.....HE'S GOT IT!." And we took the crystal all the way back to AUSTIN TEXAS BABY!

I would like to also tell you of a parallel, a narrative, a gospel, if you would. Of the 2008 season of the Texas Longhorns. Colt McCoy, coming off a lack luster year, is prime to deliver the goods. Being seriously doubted, much like the 2004 season, we set to do the unthinkable. Everything was going amazing, save one road block along the way, Texas Tech. But one loss, and a narrow BCS game victory. We start to see the resemblance to that 2004 season. Coming into this year, we will be ranked #2. A number that will haunt us. Second only to Florida, the previous National Champions. But my fellow Longhorns.....I tell you this. Much like that famous 2005 season, the National Championship will be held at the Rose Bowl, and everyone doubts us. We start the season against a chump team from Louisiana. The resemblance is uncanny. It is almost the same save the names and the year.

I tell you this. We are due. We were due last year but fate saw fit to make us wait for the following year. That is OK. I will gladly repeat the past for my senior year. As the opening game of the season draws near, the stars align a little bit closer each night. I tell you this my friends, this is our year and we will settle for nothing but a trip and victory in Pasadena.

Remember that the Eyes of Texas are ALWAYS Upon you.

Diocletian
09-07-2009, 08:25 AM
save this thread...we'll come back in January....

till then, it's all just another conspiracy

JHS_c/o_06'
12-13-2009, 11:22 PM
well.....not quite January yet......but worth a look all the same.

TheDOCTORdre
12-13-2009, 11:25 PM
wish the gators would have beat Bama that way Texas would have had the pleasure of beating "the team with the greatest college player ever", nonetheless, the Horns will "roll the tide"