PDA

View Full Version : Region 4, WK 1 match-ups merged

R4Editor
09-03-2009, 11:32 AM
D25 (we think the district goes 6-0 this week…be glad you don’t play in this district)

Bellville @ Livingston(4A)
The Brahmas held off a strong Caldwell team away last week and now must travel to Livingston a 4A team that traditionally has been competitive in their district. This year the Lions are rebuilding and this will be their first game. The Bulls are only going to get stronger each week. The Lions will be tamed. Bellville by a lot.

Giddings v La Vernia.
The Bears will have to sharpen their claws to put up enough points to beat the Buffs in an away game. Look for an early lead by Giddings and a Bear comeback that falls short. Buffs win this one.

La Grange vs Yoakum
La Grange plays Yoakum at home on Parents night. The Lep parents will not be disappointed as the Lep offense will put up the points and their D is much better this year. The Leps win this one in a high scoring game.

Columbus @ Van Vleck (2A)
Columbus travels to Van Vleck to win their second game in their mission to gain respect in this tough district. The Cardinals are young but have new talent, speed and a great coaching staff. Red Birds win.

Sealy @ Hempstead
Sealy goes to Hempstead(2A) to refine their dynamic offense. The Tigers will play their 2nd string early and win this one easily.

Smithville vs Wharton
Smithville comes off a disappointing loss to 2A Lexington and now hosts Wharton at home. The Smithville Tigers will put together a good game to edge the other Tigers in a big cat fight. Smithville gets a win.

D26
Needville @ Splendora
We think Needville will be able to win in Splendora as long as they remain focused after a long bus ride.
Prediction: Needville

Stafford @ Houston Wheatley
Wheatley has size and speed and that is why the Spartans struggles will continue.
Prediction: Houston Wheatley

West Columbia @ Houston St. Pius X
West Columbia will hopefully be able to complete this week's game. St. Pius X has size and two receivers who will look to put up big numbers.This will be close.
Prediction: Houston St. Pius X

Wharton @ Smithville
Wharton will try to build on the positive of last wee despite only playing a half. Smithville who is also coming off a loss will loo to their running game to keep the Wharton Defense on the field. (D25 correspondent likes Smithville, D26 likes Wharton…)
Prediction: Wharton

Brookshire Royal Open
Sweeny Open

D27 (looking for someone to help with this district. Anyone interested in writing up short weekly blurbs about each game please send me a PM)

La Vernia @ Giddings
This game was covered well in the D25 write-up as well as in the GOTW thread. We like Giddings, but we think La Vernia is competitive and represents well.
Giddings wins.

Luling @ 2A Blanco
Luling got beat up last week By Wimberley, and Blance lost to Canyon Lake. Luling is headed up and we think Blanco is headed in the other direction.
We like Luling

Marion @ Pearsall
Pearsall by a bunch

Poteet vs. Dilly
Dilly looks good to us, they win by a comfortable margin.

SA Sam Houston vs Medina Valley
Hmmm…when a team puts up 60, we like ‘em in their next game.
Hurricanes win.

Somerset @ Hondo
We like Somerset in this one.

D28

Cuero vs Rio Hondo (Game in Robstown)
This Cuero team may not have the beef of the last few years but they have the speed and the intensity. Anyone who was thinking Cuero was headed for a down year needs to think again.
Cuero wins…big

Edna vs Rice.
Edna lost to the flu bug.

Goliad vs George West
The favorite is George West. They won big last year and Goliad lost key players. But we think the Tigers at home are going to be very tough.
We like Goliad in a very close game.

Gonzales vs Lockhart
The Apaches are going to have to show us some fight before we pick ‘em.
Lockhart by a couple of scores.

Palacios vs Tidehaven
We don’t think these teams will make many headlines this year. But, if you love high School football, you’ll love this game. It might not be the best football this Friday night but it’ll be intense, emotional, and you can bet each of these teams has this one circled on their calendar. We don’t think they care much for each other.
Sharks win.

Yoakum @ La Grange.
D25 reporter nailed it. We think Yoakum loses to La Grange, but we also think the bulldogs are going to be a very dangerous team as the season progresses.

44INAROW
09-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Nice job guys :clap:

pirate4state
09-03-2009, 12:01 PM
good stuff, but what about 29, 31 & 32?

R4Editor
09-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Coming in about 2 hours...too much for 1 post

R4Editor
09-03-2009, 01:46 PM
D29

Bandera @ Lago Vista
We don’t know the injury status of Bandera’s QB Hubble, but we think the ‘dogs still have plenty of fire power to handle Lago Vista.
Bandera by 13

Carizzo Springs @ Cotulla
The Wildcats won one game last year, and it was vs. Cotulla. We think they win a couple of more this year and they start with a close win this week.
CS by 1

Crystal City vs. Eagle Pass
The Javelinas have few returners, and even though Eagle Pass is a week 5A team, they’re still 5A.
Eagle Pass by 21

Devine @ Comfort
We like Devine. We think they’re a sleeper in Region 4 and when they put away Comfort we’re going to talk about them a bit more prior to next week’s game vs. Cuero.
The Warhorses by a bunch. (Is that a cool mascot name or what?)

Somerset @ Hondo
We like the Bulldogs in a close one.
Somerset by 3

Lytle vs. SA Memorial
Pirates return 7 on both sides of the ball and they should be better this year.
Lytle by 10

Pearsall vs. Marion
Mavericks roll over the bulldogs.
Pearsall by 16

D31
Ingleside, Sinton, Robstown, and Orange Grove all have byes this week.

4A Rockport Fulton @ Aransas Pass
RF is just way too strong for the Panthers.
RF by 20+

CC West Oso @ 4A Beeville
Beeville in rebuilding mode and Bears on a mission. Bears win another close game.
Bears by 3

Hebbronville @ Falfurrias
Fals struggles continue.
Longhorns by 14

Mathis @ Skidmore
Skidmore is a better team this year, but so are the Pirates. Mathis by 10+

D32
We need some help with this district; don't know enough about these teams to do write-ups or make make picks. maybe by the time they get to district play we can recruit someone from the valley to help us cover these teams.

pirate4state
09-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks!

C'mon all you valley peeps, help out the region IV editor. :)

banderafan
09-03-2009, 09:24 PM
All I'll say is GO BULLDOGS! I almost opened my mouth last week and said "no way we score less than 28 against La Vernia", and look what happened!

SintonFan
09-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by banderafan
All I'll say is GO BULLDOGS! I almost opened my mouth last week and said "no way we score less than 28 against La Vernia", and look what happened!
I read about Cole this week in the SA EX News but they didn't know for sure what his condition was. I think he wanted to get back to the game this Week if he can. He's the real deal.:clap:

SintonFan
09-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by R4Editor
D29

Bandera @ Lago Vista
We don’t know the injury status of Bandera’s QB Hubble, but we think the ‘dogs still have plenty of fire power to handle Lago Vista.
Bandera by 13

Carizzo Springs @ Cotulla
The Wildcats won one game last year, and it was vs. Cotulla. We think they win a couple of more this year and they start with a close win this week.
CS by 1

Crystal City vs. Eagle Pass
The Javelinas have few returners, and even though Eagle Pass is a week 5A team, they’re still 5A.
Eagle Pass by 21

Devine @ Comfort
We like Devine. We think they’re a sleeper in Region 4 and when they put away Comfort we’re going to talk about them a bit more prior to next week’s game vs. Cuero.
The Warhorses by a bunch. (Is that a cool mascot name or what?)

Somerset @ Hondo
We like the Bulldogs in a close one.
Somerset by 3

Lytle vs. SA Memorial
Pirates return 7 on both sides of the ball and they should be better this year.
Lytle by 10

Pearsall vs. Marion
Mavericks roll over the bulldogs.
Pearsall by 16

D31
Ingleside, Sinton, Robstown, and Orange Grove all have byes this week.

4A Rockport Fulton @ Aransas Pass
RF is just way too strong for the Panthers.
RF by 20+

CC West Oso @ 4A Beeville
Beeville in rebuilding mode and Bears on a mission. Bears win another close game.
Bears by 3

Hebbronville @ Falfurrias
Fals struggles continue.
Longhorns by 14

Mathis @ Skidmore

D32
We need some help with this district; don't know enough about these teams to do write-ups or make make picks. maybe by the time they get to district play we can recruit someone from the valley to help us cover these teams.
Thanks for your work!:) :clap:

R4Editor
09-04-2009, 07:21 AM
ttt

pirate4state
09-04-2009, 09:39 AM
:)

Good luck to everyone with games tonight! Safe travels to all!

Johnny 5
09-04-2009, 10:31 AM
I can help with District 32

Johnny 5
09-04-2009, 11:01 AM
District 32

La Feria @ Mercedes (4A)

La Feria's first test will be against a solid Mercedes team that gave PLC a pretty good game last week. I see Mercedes rolling over La Feria.

La Feria - 14
Mercedes - 38

Port Isabel vs Valley View (4A)

Port Isabel is coming off of a tough loss to CC West Oso. Valley View is coming off of their second win in Valley View football history. Port Isabel has the weapons to win, but Valley View will not be a push-over this year.

Port Isabel - 24
Valley View - 17

Raymondville @ Kingsville (4A)

Raymondville pretty much flopped last week with only 52 yards of offense in the loss to CC Tuloso-Midway. Kingsville is coming off of a loss to CC Moody. I expect Raymondville to be seeking revenge for last week's disappointing showing.

Raymondville - 31
Kingsville - 20

Zapata @ Laredo LBJ (4A)

Both teams lost last week. They seem to be about equal. Look for a very close game.

Zapata - 13
Laredo LBJ - 17

Progreso vs Brownsville St. Joseph Academy

Progreso lost a good game last week against a much improved Valley View (4A). They did well on the ground, and the air game was much better than last year's. Brownsville St. Joseph is under a new coach this year. I believe Progreso will win this one.

Progreso - 24
Brownsville St. Joseph - 14

Lyford vs Marine Military Academy

Lyford is the only team in 32-3A that won a game in week zero, and they won big. Ten players had receiving yards, as Lyford aired it out. MMA does have a strong running game, but Lyford can score from anywhere on the field.

Lyford - 45
MMA - 20

Hidalgo played last night and lost to La Joya Juarez-Lincoln (4A), 35-28. The score was tied at 28 with less than 15 seconds left. LJJL attempted a game winning field goal, which Hidalgo blocked. LJJL then ran the blocked field goal in for a touch down with 8 seconds left in the game.

EDIT: You already have Rio Hondo vs Cuero covered, so I did not repeat it.

44INAROW
09-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Johnny 5
District 32

Hidalgo played last night and lost to La Joya Juarez-Lincoln (4A), 35-28. The score was tied at 28 with less than 15 seconds left. LJJL attempted a game winning field goal, which Hidalgo blocked. LJJL then ran the blocked field goal in for a touch down with 8 seconds left in the game.

wow - what a way to end a game!

R4Editor
09-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Johnny 5, you da man!

Thanks for taking the time to post this week's D32 preview. If you'll PM me by Tuesday of each week I'll add D32 to the region 4 weekly preview.

The more kids and teams we cover the better!

Johnny 5
09-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Johnny 5, you da man!

Thanks for taking the time to post this week's D32 preview. If you'll PM me by Tuesday of each week I'll add D32 to the region 4 weekly preview.

The more kids and teams we cover the better!

will do ;)

SintonFan_inAustin
09-04-2009, 02:36 PM
D31

Mathis @ Skidmore

Mathis could be the sleeper in this district and contend for the district title.
Mathis beat Odem 34-12 last week with 5 different players scoring a TD. Mathis has running backs, Donnie Butler 112 yds 1 TD, Rashad Washington 78 yds 1 TD and Trevor Hardin 67 yds 1 TD that could resemble last year West Oso trio of Fox,Smith and Howard.
Skidmore-Tynan shutout Bishop last week 33-0 with Bishop committing 6 fumbles and Skidmore-Tyan 4 fumbles.

Mathis win this game 28-13.

Johnny 5
09-05-2009, 02:41 AM
Hey . . . I was pretty close with those scores lol

sinton66
09-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
Mathis could be the sleeper in this district and contend for the district title.
Mathis beat Odem 34-12 last week with 5 different players scoring a TD. Mathis has running backs, Donnie Butler 112 yds 1 TD, Rashad Washington 78 yds 1 TD and Trevor Hardin 67 yds 1 TD that could resemble last year West Oso trio of Fox,Smith and Howard.
Skidmore-Tynan shutout Bishop last week 33-0 with Bishop committing 6 fumbles and Skidmore-Tyan 4 fumbles.

Mathis win this game 28-13.

It's early yet. Odem shut out Bishop last night 42-0.
S/T beat Mathis 21-18.
Taft beat San Diego 48-21.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
It's early yet. Odem shut out Bishop last night 42-0.
S/T beat Mathis 21-18.
Taft beat San Diego 48-21. was hoping for a good Mathis vs Sinton matchup with both teams unbeaten, Pirates vs the fake Pirates from Mathis :)

piratebg
09-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
was hoping for a good Mathis vs Sinton matchup with both teams unbeaten, Pirates vs the fake Pirates from Mathis :)

Well, the game was played in the rain and there were like 7 turnovers in the first half alone. Both teams' first scores came on short fields due to turnovers. Skidmore had the only real scoring drive of the half, and it literally ended the half. The Mathis line is a little undersized which is why they probably matched up well with Odem, but Skidmore was getting into their backfield a lot. I only saw the first half so I'm not sure what adjustments were made in the 2nd half.

44INAROW
09-06-2009, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by sinton66

S/T beat Mathis 21-18

WooHoo - way to go Skidmore-Tynan... starting the season off 2-0 - must be that good coaching ;)