PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater Analysis - 2009

IrishTex
09-03-2009, 08:03 AM
I saw this in the Abilene Reporter News (http://stats.reporternews.com/football/boys/teams/754/2009-2010/roster/) and thought it was a good assessment of the Mustangs for 2009.

Head Coach: Craig Slaughter

Career Record: 47-31

(0-1 at Sweetwater)

2008 Record: 10-3 (4-1 in District 2-3A)

Last District Title: 2005

Last Playoff Appearance: 2008

Returning Lettermen: 14

Returning Off/Def Starters: 2/5

Base Offense: Multiple I

Base Defense: 4-3

Top Returnees

A.J. McCoy, RB/DB, 5-7, 150, Sr.; B.J. Walker, RB, 5-11, 210, Sr.; Cole Rhoades, OL, 5-9, 195, Sr.; Jarvis McCann, OL, 6-2, 240, Sr.; Ken Norman, DB, 6-0, 180, Sr.; Bo Bugarin, LB, 5-10, 175, Sr.; Clint Jay, DL, 5-10, 180, Sr.

For years, Sweetwater football has been synonymous with two things: a strong wishbone offensive attack and a stingy, hard-hitting defense. And for years, that formula has led to success few high school programs can boast.

But with the arrival of former Clyde coach Craig Slaughter, who replaced Kent Jackson in February, half of that equation will change this season.

Slaughter, who amassed a 23-12 record at Clyde and led the Bulldogs to their first outright district title in 54 years last season, said strong defense will continue to be a staple of his Sweetwater teams. But the Mustangs’ offense, which will be based out of the I-formation, will look quite a bit different.

“I’m not a wishbone guy. I know they had very good success with it, it’s just not what I do,” Slaughter said. “It will definitely be a little more open than they have been offensively. You’re not going to come watch Sweetwater play and watch us throw the ball 45 times a game, but you are going to watch us throw it 15-25 depending on the situation.”

With just two returning starters on offense, the transition to a new scheme could take some time. Only offensive linemen Cole Rhoades and Jarvis McCann are back from the Mustangs’ 2008 squad, leaving Slaughter to find nine new starters.

Perhaps the biggest offseason battle will take place at quarterback, where seniors Jake Lawrence and Jason Vause and junior Kris Mayes will battle it out.

“We’ll just see who we think is our best fit with what we want to do and use the other two pieces somewhere else in the equation because I think all three of them can start, it just depends who’s going to start at what spots,” Slaughter said.

The Mustangs will be well-stocked on defense with five starters returning, including all-state safety Ken Norman and all-district linebacker Bo Bugarin.