PDA

View Full Version : UIL Decisions

K-MAC Chuck
09-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Hey all,
I got this in my e-mail box today...just thought I'd share...maybe it's up on some other thread, my apologies if it is..thanks

UIL State Executive Committee Meeting Results

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AUSTIN, TX— Decisions were handed down by the State Executive Committee on Wednesday regarding the eligibility of student athletes.

Students from China Spring High School, Corsicana High School, Emory Rains High School and Sterling City High School had their appeals to regain varsity eligibility denied by the State Executive Committee. After hearing testimony from all interested parties, it was ruled that the students changed schools for athletic purposes.

A student athlete from Wolfforth Frenship High School was granted eligibility for varsity athletics after the committee ruled that the student did not change schools for athletic purposes.

Electus Unus
09-02-2009, 04:17 PM
so how will these teams be hurt by the denial?

lulu
09-02-2009, 04:26 PM
And how do they make those decisions?

IrishTex
09-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by lulu
And how do they make those decisions?

After hearing testimony from all interested parties, it was ruled that the students changed schools for athletic purposes.

pirate4state
09-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
Hey all,
I got this in my e-mail box today...just thought I'd share...maybe it's up on some other thread, my apologies if it is..thanks

UIL State Executive Committee Meeting Results

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AUSTIN, TX— Decisions were handed down by the State Executive Committee on Wednesday regarding the eligibility of student athletes.

Students from China Spring High School, Corsicana High School, Emory Rains High School and Sterling City High School had their appeals to regain varsity eligibility denied by the State Executive Committee. After hearing testimony from all interested parties, it was ruled that the students changed schools for athletic purposes.

A student athlete from Wolfforth Frenship High School was granted eligibility for varsity athletics after the committee ruled that the student did not change schools for athletic purposes.

Someone moved to Emory Rains for athletic purposes? I realize there are other sports, but I can't seem to recall which sport they excel in?!?

lulu
09-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Seems like someone would have to fess up for it to be proved.
Otherwise no one could prove a persons true intent. I was just wondering because I've heard of this before and could not begin to guess why this matters. :thinking:

Does another school make a complaint? Or a person?

lulu
09-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex

Yeah ....I read that. Explains nothing.

waterboy
09-02-2009, 04:58 PM
I never understood this particular policy. In the inner city students move from school to school all the time for athletic purposes, albeit in the same ISD the majority of the time, but you know what I mean, and nothing is ever said, usually. They are allowed to actually recruit openly there, too. Why should it be different if somebody wants to move to a different town as long as they pay the transfer fees and taxes? Will they not be able to play at those schools for the school year, or are they penalized 15 days?

Matthew328
09-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Here is the thing about inner city...EVERYONE does it...the only way it gets sent to the UIL is if its denied in the District AC...well in inner city ISDs if everyone's doing it, if one school rats someone else out then everyone is screwed...so that stuff almost always goes through at the DAC level. It's almost like honor among thieves.....thats why you never see those things make it to UIL because DAC approves.

As for the Corsicana deal, this hurts them BIG TIME...McDonald and Appleton were projected starters...McDonald was 2A all-state last year as a soph.

Matthew328
09-02-2009, 05:03 PM
The UIL rulings are for one school year, no varsity sports they can play JV

lulu
09-02-2009, 05:09 PM
So someone at a school in Corsicana's district probably is a RAT?

Also at the other districts.

AAA87
09-02-2009, 06:02 PM
it can be determined to not allow them to play varsity for up to 3 years...maybe only one year was given in this case but i dont recall reading it....the c&cr states up to 3 years.

Emerson1
09-02-2009, 06:08 PM
How dumb do you have to be to get caught doing this?

GreenMonster
09-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
How dumb do you have to be to get caught doing this? Actually, to clarify what goes on, ALL students transferring from another school must fill out paperwork that must be submitted to the DAC and the UIL. This paperwork is even required on foreign exchange students. At the DAC all of the AD's and Superintendents meet to discuss these transfers. You have to present your transfers to the rest of the district reps and explain what the situation is. After everyone has presented their case the other members of the comittee vote on each individual case. You do not have a vote for your own kid. If your student is denied then you have the right to appeal to the UIL state committee. It's not about how dumb are you to get caught because you have no choice but to show your hand to everyone up front and they decide what will be done about it. If the district committee determines the transfer is for athletic purposes then you are just out of luck. Our district had some questionable transfers this year, but all of our AD's and Sup's decided to let them all play kind of on an honor system assuming that no one was trying to pull one over on the rest of the district. All of these transfers still must meet UIL residency requirements to be eligible for varsity play, if these students do not meet the residency requirements then they must still sit out of varsity competition for one calendar year of the date of their enrollment before they become varsity eligible. Hope that clears some of this up for everyone. Also, to comment on the inner city transfer/ recruiting issue, most if not all schools in the UIL district belong to the same school district and the AD of those school districts will not tell on themselves so they sweep it under the rug. If DISD has 6 schools in a district with Duncanville being the 7th school then DISD's Sup and AD still own 5 votes if one of the DISD schools have a transfer that Duncanville disagrees with rendering Duncanville's argument moot. It's a crappy way to do business, but in this case DISD would be the monopoly and Duncanville would get the shaft. Until UIL steps in and starts pursuing these illegal transfers then recruiting will continue unchecked.

Rabid Cougar
09-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
so how will these teams be hurt by the denial?
No but opponents JV will.