PDA

View Full Version : Ranking Criteria

Bullaholic
09-02-2009, 09:21 AM
There is always a lot of discussion about rankings to start the season--some take rankings seriously, others put no stock at all in them, but everyone always has some kind of feel of how good or bad their team is in comparasion to other teams when discussing the season and their team's prospects for the playoffs.

What do you use as the factors to rank a team? Which are the most important? How important is the old argument of scores against a common opponent as an indicator of winner in a game?
Where do you get your info about a team?

For me, the old standbys are what I start with:

1. Margin of victory + quality of opponent
2. Offense and Defense stats
3. PF and PA

BEAST
09-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
There is always a lot of discussion about rankings to start the season--some take rankings seriously, others put no stock at all in them, but everyone always has some kind of feel of how good or bad their team is in comparasion to other teams when discussing the season and their team's prospects for the playoffs.

What do you use as the factors to rank a team? Which are the most important? How important is the old argument of scores against a common opponent as an indicator of winner in a game?

3. PF and PA

I agree for the most part. I look at quality of opponents the hardest. If a team is 3-2 and played 5 strong opponents and even in the losses they were right there at the end of the game, that means more to me than a team that is 5-0 and hasnt been tested at all.

BEAST

LH_Tuff
09-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

3. PF and PA

Most shutouts...Oh Wait. :D

trojan37
09-02-2009, 09:45 AM
I look at the tradition a school has had. To me that makes a lot of difference, and if the coach has been there for a long time. I will take a school with a history of making the playoffs and a coach who has been at that school for a long time(like Sandifer at Wylie) over a program that is loaded with talent. PFand PA don't really make a difference because a team like that can find a way to win, or make a deep playoff run, vs. a loaded team who blows through the season 10-0 and then 1 and done in the playoffs.

Reds fan
09-02-2009, 09:48 AM
In addition I look at how a team fares home vs away.

GUNHO
09-02-2009, 11:10 AM
I think the common opponet thing is a false read on how well you will perform against certain teams.It's all about match ups.A lesser team could put 30 points on a team that you only put up 20 on.You hear it all the time...how in the heck did so an so put up that many points on so an so and we had a hard time scoring.It's all in how a team matches up with another team.