PDA

View Full Version : Flu forces game cancellation

Cowboy_Up
09-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Rice vs Edna will not be played this Friday night as all Edna ISD athletic events have been cancelled for the week.
As of now, it seems over a dozen members of the Edna varsity (as well as many other students at all grade levels) have come down with the flu. What they are telling us is it may be H1N1, but further tests will be needed to confirm. These kids were healthy last Friday, and most were taken ill by Sun.

All I can say is, if any teams out there have kids showing symptoms; get them away from the team. This is not something you play through. If a kid complains of nausea or headaches, send him home. This thing spread like a wildfire.

The good news is, so far at least, this flu doesn't seem to be particularly stronger than a "normal" flu. I think the biggest fear is someone with existing health problems contracting this strain.

44INAROW
09-01-2009, 02:05 PM
wow - hope everyone is OK..

CheerMom
09-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Rice has rescheduled a game with Freer for this Friday night in Victoria.

Praying for a speedy recovery for everyone in Edna.....

Electus Unus
09-01-2009, 03:47 PM
swine flu is the biggest crock ever I think. regular flu kills more people per year than the swine flu has ever killed....

tlc84
09-01-2009, 03:52 PM
From what I have been told you can not contact the swine flu without first having the 1HN1 strain and that is why I would think Edna is shutting it down because a few of the football players were diagnosed with it. For sure lets hope this group of kids bounce back soon from this and are able to get back to their schedule next week. I am glad Rice was able to find a game since their game last week got cut short.

Cowboy_Up
09-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Right now they are not "officially" calling it H1N1 or swine flu, but they are saying we have 10+ cases of confirmed Type A flu, and most of those are on the varsity football team. Coach told me we had 15 varsity players ill. I'm just wondering if we spread it Friday night with the water bottles? If it was just from playing, we should be hearing from Hallettsville soon. One other thing I've heard, totally unconfirmed, is St Joe's in Victoria may have a problem as well. They were our 2nd scrimmage.

lulu
09-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
Rice vs Edna will not be played this Friday night as all Edna ISD athletic events have been cancelled for the week.
As of now, it seems over a dozen members of the Edna varsity (as well as many other students at all grade levels) have come down with the flu. What they are telling us is it may be H1N1, but further tests will be needed to confirm. These kids were healthy last Friday, and most were taken ill by Sun.

All I can say is, if any teams out there have kids showing symptoms; get them away from the team. This is not something you play through. If a kid complains of nausea or headaches, send him home. This thing spread like a wildfire.

The good news is, so far at least, this flu doesn't seem to be particularly stronger than a "normal" flu. I think the biggest fear is someone with existing health problems contracting this strain.

Who did they play last Friday?

CheerMom
09-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by lulu
Who did they play last Friday?

Hallettsville

piratebg
09-01-2009, 08:41 PM
I got a notice from the school yesterday that there is a case at Sinton ISD, and today the news reported that there are actually two cases, so far.

zebrablue2
09-01-2009, 09:08 PM
i am afraid we will see more and more of this. kinda early for the flu. just hoping it stays on the mild side.........

TheDOCTORdre
09-01-2009, 09:17 PM
a girl in odessa has a case of H1N1 she goes to my brothers church

44INAROW
09-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
i am afraid we will see more and more of this. kinda early for the flu. just hoping it stays on the mild side.........

I agree Zebra - first and foremost - for the health and safety of people. Secondly, the cancellations will cause havoc on games and schedules and rescheduling. Between H1N1 and possible hurricanes, if we get to play games uninterrupted through late December, it will be a blessing ;) Fingers and toes crossed everything works out and these cases are mild and NOT H1N1:eek:

BOCEPHUS
09-02-2009, 05:26 AM
hope the by gawd UIL dont gitz involved........be like last years track season.......

JT44
09-02-2009, 06:32 AM
This type of situation may happen all year long. Typically, the flu season doesn't peak until January, after football season. The only reason why the swine flu causing so many issues is it has been able to spread throughout the summer months.
Having lots of sick people has also allowed the "seasonal" type A influenza to spread.

CDC and the TDH don't want schools to shut down, they are leaving it up to the individual school districts to decide what they want to do. I think that helps to take it out of the UIL's hands.

JT44
09-02-2009, 06:33 AM
http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2009/sep/01/mf_ednaflu_090209_64273/?sports

SHSBulldog00
09-02-2009, 08:35 PM
We were going to have our Freshmen play a game with Edna's Freshmen, but then they cancelled this week.

maroogreen
09-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Supposedly (and please feel free to correct me, any health professional out there) testing positive for Type A influenza will occur with the typical flu or with H1N1. Testing for H1N1 only occurs during hospitalization or after death.

There were 73 students out at a middle school in Victoria yesterday. A coworkers kindergartener tested positive this weekend but is back at school tomorrow.

I've heard that the H1N1 has been alive and well in deep south Texas and is moving rapidly north. Hopefully, once you're exposed to this strain, maybe you'll be immune to mutated strains later in the season. A vaccine may be a moot point in a couple of weeks.

SintonFan
09-02-2009, 09:25 PM
This flu has been among the fastest spreading yes, but it has proven to be very mild. Some reports have estimated that one million among those who live in New York City this year contracted the H1N1 virus but only around 50 deaths were directly attributed to it( a rate that is 10 to 30 times lower than the average seasonal flu, but any death is horrible).
I believe in erring on the side of caution but don't be surprised if many many High School Football games are canceled because of fear in general. That being said, if half your varsity team has the flu then maybe the game shouldn't be played that week. I wonder what could be driving this hysteria(and reaction to it)? I don't know but we do live in the age of lawyers, too.:doh:

Antec
09-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Van Vleck plays at Edna on Sept. 11

Leopards will be 0-2 by then, playing Columbus this Friday.

Cowboy_Up
09-03-2009, 09:11 AM
What our Doc told us was, if you have the flu now, it's most likely H1N1, but that doesn't mean it's some sort of "bad" flu. Like noted above, in many cases it's barely more then a very bad cold. Although about 5 of our boys did get very ill with 103+ type temps. But, the rest seem to not have been hit so bad and, from what I hear, all are doing better.

I think you can expect just about every team to have a few kids get sick and once we all realize it's not some sort of super bug, it'll be like it's always been...when you have 80+ kids on a team, some are always sick, at least that's the way I remember it.

What made the case in Edna different was so many got sick at the same time. Right now about 10% of the kids in Edna ISD are home sick. One thing I would not do is keep my kid home for fear of picking it up. If you get it you get it, treat it like every other illness. What our pediatrician told us was, unless they get a bad fever, just hydrate and rest. Fever means go directly to the doc.

Now I just have to figure out which game to go watch this Friday…leaning toward La Grange/Yoakum

44INAROW
09-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up

What made the case in Edna different was so many got sick at the same time. Right now about 10% of the kids in Edna ISD are home sick. One thing I would not do is keep my kid home for fear of picking it up. If you get it you get it, treat it like every other illness. What our pediatrician told us was, unless they get a bad fever, just hydrate and rest. Fever means go directly to the doc.

sounds like reasonable advise to me.