PDA

View Full Version : Poor officials?

GrTigers6
09-01-2009, 06:30 AM
In the Mineral Wells/ Glen Rose game friday, the officials on 4 occasions watched as the Rams defense jumped completely across the line into our backfield and then back with no flag. One time they even knocked our right tackle out of his stance. They just waited till everyone got set again and then let the play continue. on another occasion our player after making a tackle was laying on the other player and used his body to push him up and then reached down to help the other player up, only to get unsportsmanlike conduct call for "Shoving player to the ground". If I was a coach I would find out where those officials came from and never use them.

Cadetdad
09-01-2009, 06:58 AM
Then you should run right down and sign up to be an official and go call some games.

Z-RO
09-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Cadetdad
Then you should run right down and sign up to be an official and go call some games.

:evillol:

Farmersfan
09-01-2009, 08:11 AM

Really? Does this attitude apply to all walks of life or just sport officials? If I disagree with Obama, is it required that I run down and get into politics? If I don't like the job my gardener does must I become a gardener? If I go to a pub and get horrible service am I required to become a waiter before I am allowed to complain????? If my cable installer eats my best cheese sandwich do I really have to start installing cable?
Ridiculous statement Cadetdad! Ridiculous!

87 TIGER
09-01-2009, 08:24 AM
talk about Jack of all trades. Good luck farmersfan your gonna be one tired puppy

Farmersfan
09-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by 87 TIGER
talk about Jack of all trades. Good luck farmersfan your gonna be one tired puppy

?????????

I don't get it! I was making a point that it is ridiculous to think someone can't complain about an official unless they are willing to become one themselves. What were YOU talking about?

STANG RED
09-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
?????????

I don't get it! I was making a point that it is ridiculous to think someone can't complain about an official unless they are willing to become one themselves. What were YOU talking about?

It's just like those that claim you should go get a degree and get into coaching before your allowed to complain about coaching. Seems to nearly always be coaches that make this claim. And you are right. Its a ridiculous argument, but its all they got.

Ranger Mom
09-01-2009, 10:13 AM
I have noticed over the years that some of the refs on the board get very defensive when other refs are talked about in anything less that glowing terms.

I don't have to go to referee school to know that there are just some out there that just are NOT good!!! I have eyes!!!

GreenMonster
09-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
It's just like those that claim you should go get a degree and get into coaching before your allowed to complain about coaching. Seems to nearly always be coaches that make this claim. And you are right. Its a ridiculous argument, but its all they got. I'll never use that one. Anyways, the refs we had this last week sucked too. I'm just not going to be naive enough to think that I would do a better job given the same circumstances. Everyone, I do mean EVERYONE, is capable making a mistake. Often times if you step back from the problem you will realize that you made a mistake but it's too late to fix it so you have to keep moving on. My door is always open to anyone with a complaint, but I always make it clear that my personell decisions and my strategy decisions are just that, MINE. If I don't win or at the least make the progress that my superiors think that I should make then my job will be on the line. That is why my personell and my strategy is not up for discussion. I'm not trying to lose people, seriously!!

Cadetdad
09-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Stand in their shoes is what i am saying.....you dont know that they were blown calls, why did none of them call it if it was obvious? Why didnt the coach file a formal complaint? Why are they allowed to officiate if they are so bad? Did they forget their Glasses? I am sure someone slipped a hundred dollar bill in their pocket. If we cant get on and grip about coaches and players without everyone getting panties in wads why can we do it to refs? Players and coaches win or lose games not refs.

Bullaholic
09-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Ever hear of anybody claiming they won a game because of some questionable calls? Bad calls do happen, and fans have a right to voice their opinion about it---but if they take it to the level of claiming that their team lost because of numerous bad calls all during a game---then the term "bad loser" is usually applied to them. There are instances where a questionable call may have decided the outcome of a close game at the end, but fortunately they are few.

Ranger Mom
09-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Stand in their shoes is what i am saying.....you dont know that they were blown calls, why did none of them call it if it was obvious? Why didnt the coach file a formal complaint? Why are they allowed to officiate if they are so bad? Did they forget their Glasses? I am sure someone slipped a hundred dollar bill in their pocket. If we cant get on and grip about coaches and players without everyone getting panties in wads why can we do it to refs? Players and coaches win or lose games not refs.

For one thing...if you are talking smack about a coach from a particular school, it doesn't take a genius to figure out who you are talking about....making it too personal for this board.

If you are talking about a ref at a particular game..that is as far as it goes....just a ref at a game!!

BwdLion_80
09-01-2009, 11:51 AM
I will add this, I officiate football, basketball, basebal and softball and there are some really good ones, good ones, average ones, some bad ones and some really bad ones. They are not bad on purpose, you pretty much can only get as good as you are willling to spend the time to learn the rules, mechanics and other aspects of the game. Some work harder than others and there is nothing that can be done to change that. When you hear the old saying, well come join us, well, I can guarantee you that if you, or anyone else would, it would give you a whole different perspective on the job that officials do each week. It is not as easy as some might think!

Ranger Mom
09-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
I will add this, I officiate football, basketball, basebal and softball and there are some really good ones, good ones, average ones, some bad ones and some really bad ones. They are not bad on purpose, you pretty much can only get as good as you are willling to spend the time to learn the rules, mechanics and other aspects of the game. Some work harder than others and there is nothing that can be done to change that. When you hear the old saying, well come join us, well, I can guarantee you that if you, or anyone else would, it would give you a whole different perspective on the job that officials do each week. It is not as easy as some might think!

I reffed...or umped, I guess... a couple of games in T-ball...you couldn't pay me enough money to do it!!!

garciap77
09-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I have noticed over the years that some of the refs on the board get very defensive when other refs are talked about in anything less that glowing terms.

I don't have to go to referee school to know that there are just some out there that just are NOT good!!! I have eyes!!!

These two here are the best! They have never made a bad call!
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/DSC_2463-2.jpg

:D

P.S. Sorry BEAST! I just can't stop post pictures!:D

Electus Unus
09-01-2009, 12:12 PM
I reffed...or umped, I guess... a couple of games in T-ball...you couldn't pay me enough money to do it!!! t-ball parents are the worst! 25$ a game is easy cash though

Bullaholic
09-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
These two here are the best! They have never made a bad call!
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/DSC_2463-2.jpg

:D

P.S. Sorry BEAST! I just can't stop post pictures!:D

Only thing they ever called is "More Bud Light"......:D

garciap77
09-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Only thing they ever called is "More Bud Light"......:D
Be Fair Bullaholic!:D

Bullaholic
09-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Be Fair Bullaholic!:D

Garcia---I am a fair, impartial, PC, equal-opportunity insulter and pot-stirrer without pequniary interest (unless the offer is good, of course :D) to all teams and posters regardless of geographical location, race, sex, creed, nationality, or political affliation. :D

garciap77
09-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Garcia---I am a fair, impartial, PC, equal-opportunity insulter and pot-stirrer without pequniary interest (unless the offer is good, of course :D) to all teams and posters regardless of geographical location, race, sex, creed, nationality, or political affliation. :D
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/19907-1.jpg

;)

Farmersfan
09-01-2009, 01:47 PM

The game of football is about execution from players and coaches. Refs are not suppose to be part of the game. They are simply there to enforce rules that both teams agreed to play by. If a ref becomes a "part" of the game then he/she becomes a problem in my opinion. I see far too many refs that force themselves into the game. Calling holding penalties that don't impact the play, calling pass interference when it is very marginal and being a little too litteral about the rules is almost always going to end in one side or the other feeling douped. In the example presented in the topic, who really cares if the defense jumps off sides if they are able to get back. Proper execution by the offense would have them snap the ball when the defense jumps like that. You can't expect the refs to call un-abated if the defense is trying to get back onsides.........

87 TIGER
09-01-2009, 03:03 PM
?????????

I don't get it! I was making a point that it is ridiculous to think someone can't complain about an official unless they are willing to become one themselves. What were YOU talking about? uh, I thought I was agreeing with you, jack of all trades? nevermind, like I said I think I was agreeing with you

Ranger Mom
09-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
t-ball parents are the worst! 25$ a game is easy cash though

I was supposed to get paid?!?!?!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Electus Unus
09-01-2009, 03:45 PM
I was supposed to get paid?!?!?!:eek: :eek: :eek: they pay where i did them at...usually did about 4-6 games a week

Ranger Mom
09-01-2009, 03:47 PM
they pay where i did them at...usually did about 4-6 games a week

They do here too. But T-Ball is usually done by volunteer parents!!

I made that "volunteering" mistake once!!

Electus Unus
09-01-2009, 03:49 PM
They do here too. But T-Ball is usually done by volunteer parents!!

I made that "volunteering" mistake once!! they pay cause its only one man team :D

two man teams on the upper league games only get like 15 for bases and 20 for behind the plate

if my memory is correct on those numbers

Phil C
09-01-2009, 03:51 PM

:eek:

Bone Pile
09-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
In the Mineral Wells/ Glen Rose game friday, the officials on 4 occasions watched as the Rams defense jumped completely across the line into our backfield and then back with no flag. One time they even knocked our right tackle out of his stance. They just waited till everyone got set again and then let the play continue. on another occasion our player after making a tackle was laying on the other player and used his body to push him up and then reached down to help the other player up, only to get unsportsmanlike conduct call for "Shoving player to the ground". If I was a coach I would find out where those officials came from and never use them.
Quit whinning. Those guys are humans just like you and me. We ALL make mistakes. But keep this in mind. There are several officials on the field. Do you honestly think they ALL missed the call EVERYTIME? That is the way it happens. Win some, loose some and some you make excuses for loosing. Suck it up

Ranger Mom
09-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Bone Pile
Quit whinning. Those guys are humans just like you and me. We ALL make mistakes. But keep this in mind. There are several officials on the field. Do you honestly think they ALL missed the call EVERYTIME? That is the way it happens. Win some, loose some and some you make excuses for loosing. Suck it up

Are you a ref too??:thinking:

BuckeyeNut
09-01-2009, 04:43 PM

Tell me something then, Did the 5 yard running into the kicker get taken out? At are game there was a call running into the Kicker and someone in the seats was saying that the rule had been taken out???

GrTigers6
09-01-2009, 06:13 PM
?????????

I don't get it! I was making a point that it is ridiculous to think someone can't complain about an official unless they are willing to become one themselves. What were YOU talking about? I do umpire but not for football yet. I am waiting on my youngest son to graduate first he is a sophomore. But how hard is it to call an offsides, when it is obvious. :thinking:

GrTigers6
09-01-2009, 06:20 PM
The game of football is about execution from players and coaches. Refs are not suppose to be part of the game. They are simply there to enforce rules that both teams agreed to play by. If a ref becomes a "part" of the game then he/she becomes a problem in my opinion. I see far too many refs that force themselves into the game. Calling holding penalties that don't impact the play, calling pass interference when it is very marginal and being a little too litteral about the rules is almost always going to end in one side or the other feeling douped. In the example presented in the topic, who really cares if the defense jumps off sides if they are able to get back. Proper execution by the offense would have them snap the ball when the defense jumps like that. You can't expect the refs to call un-abated if the defense is trying to get back onsides......... Its the object of the play. Thats what it is designed to do. But if they don't have to worry about jumping offsides because they wont call it then why not do it every time you line up.

GrTigers6
09-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Bone Pile
Quit whinning. Those guys are humans just like you and me. We ALL make mistakes. But keep this in mind. There are several officials on the field. Do you honestly think they ALL missed the call EVERYTIME? That is the way it happens. Win some, loose some and some you make excuses for loosing. Suck it up I could understand that if it happened once. But the second then the third and then the fourth. Give me a break. I am an official in baseball I know they can make mistakes but i guarantee i didnt make it four times in one game. And I'm not saying thats why we lost that had nothing to do with it. it just aggravated me that they just looked at the other to make the call and then noone did. I mean when both teams stop and look for the flag thats pretty obvious.

GrTigers6
09-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Black Flag
Tell me something then, Did the 5 yard running into the kicker get taken out? At are game there was a call running into the Kicker and someone in the seats was saying that the rule had been taken out??? I heard that too but it may only be in NFL. We had that call as well in our game.

BaseballUmp
09-01-2009, 07:10 PM
they pay cause its only one man team :D

two man teams on the upper league games only get like 15 for bases and 20 for behind the plate

if my memory is correct on those numbers

ha call games in college station then. Nothing less than 35 a game for the field or behind the plate. Thats all the way from 8 years old and up. usually 40 or so a game plus another 5 if its in a tourney and its the championship game. or call some 16 and up games. an easy $90 a night...nothin wrong with that

OldBison75
09-01-2009, 07:24 PM
The defense can cross the line of scrimmage and get back before the ball is snapped if they do not make contact with an offensive player. Based on what you described, three of the times there was no contact and the fourth there was contact that was not called. I see three correct calls to one bad in your description--but I was not there and am using your description. Oh, by the way, if the center moved the ball they may have not called the offsides because ball movement starts a play and that is damned hard to see from the stands, but easy for the line judge.

GrTigers6
09-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
The defense can cross the line of scrimmage and get back before the ball is snapped if they do not make contact with an offensive player. Based on what you described, three of the times there was no contact and the fourth there was contact that was not called. I see three correct calls to one bad in your description--but I was not there and am using your description. Oh, by the way, if the center moved the ball they may have not called the offsides because ball movement starts a play and that is damned hard to see from the stands, but easy for the line judge. well then it would be a false start. and on the other they were unabated to the qb. or is that not a rule anymore. lol

GrTigers6
09-01-2009, 07:34 PM
oh and there were other calls, on both sides, that make you scratch your head. like for the rams they called back a td for a block in the back. when the kid just bumped him 15 yards behind the play. I'm not saying that they are sorry umps just saying that they had a bad game. But would think twice before using them again if it was my call.

Cadetdad
09-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Man yall must have used China Spring Refs.

hollywood
09-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Man yall must have used China Spring Refs. Nope, they were from Wylie.

BleedOrange
09-01-2009, 08:04 PM
The defense can cross the line of scrimmage and get back before the ball is snapped if they do not make contact with an offensive player. Based on what you described, three of the times there was no contact and the fourth there was contact that was not called. I see three correct calls to one bad in your description--but I was not there and am using your description. Oh, by the way, if the center moved the ball they may have not called the offsides because ball movement starts a play and that is damned hard to see from the stands, but easy for the line judge.

If the defense jumping offside causes the offense to move then its a penalty on the defense regardless of contact. I believe your version of the rule has changed.

Cadetdad
09-01-2009, 08:05 PM
there you go, that explains it.

LH Panther Mom
09-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Ever hear of anybody claiming they won a game because of some questionable calls?
Yes, as a matter of fact I have!

Bullaholic
09-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Yes, as a matter of fact I have!

Then you ran across some pretty rare and honest folks, LHPM

HEMOTOXIC
09-01-2009, 09:08 PM

Right on Momma!

LH Panther Mom
09-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Then you ran across some pretty rare and honest folks, LHPM
No, just one folk....it's not like it's an every day occurrence! :D

VWG
09-01-2009, 09:47 PM
A little nugget that most of y'all don't realize.
Several HS officials are also college officials. They may do HS games on Friday nights, and then do a D-II or D-III game on Saturday. They don't just put first year officials out for varsity games. 6 man and some 1A yes, depending on the area covered, but that one rookie is probably surrounded by officials with 5+ years of experience.
Coaches also have the opportunity to "scratch" certain officials or crews from calling their games.
Just like players, officials will never have perfect games.

I did a post about a week or so ago. 3 things that we will hear this season.
1) The officials blew the call
2) The coaching staff never had a good gameplan, didn't call the right plays in certain situations
3) Our team didn't play up to their ability

And so far..... in week one, we already have the officials blew the call thread.
Number 2 and 3 aren't far behind........

zebrablue2
09-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Several HS officials are also college officials. They may do HS games on Friday nights, and then do a D-II or D-III game on Saturday. They don't just put first year officials out for varsity games. 6 man and some 1A yes, depending on the area covered, but that one rookie is probably surrounded by officials with 5+ years of experience.
Coaches also have the opportunity to "scratch" certain officials or crews from calling their games.

2) The coaching staff never had a good gameplan, didn't call the right plays in certain situations

And so far..... in week one, we already have the officials blew the call thread.
Number 2 and 3 aren't far behind........

:clap: did you see this in your crystal ball?? LOL..........:) and you are right!!

TexMike
09-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by BleedOrange
If the defense jumping offside causes the offense to move then its a penalty on the defense regardless of contact. I believe your version of the rule has changed.

Actually it depends WHO on the offense moved in reaction to the defender across the line. Also, this year there is an "unabated" ruling in our game (although it has been in the pro game for many years). I would have to have seen the actual plays the original poster posted, but sounds like that rule could have been applied in these situations, although apparently it was not.

GrTigers6
09-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by VWG

Number 2 and 3 aren't far behind........ Actually I think there was a "our team didnt play to there ability but I may be wrong. Maybe it was that team didnt play to there ability. Does that count? :D

wtfootball
09-02-2009, 09:18 AM
I have been watching football at all levels for a lot of years and have never seen officiating as bad as it was in the 2009 playoffs when the Bulls were given a victory against Monahans. I have never seen anything like it before or since. Not the kids fault on either side of the ball, but adults especially those in power should not dictate the outcome and that is what happened on that night.

OldBison75
09-02-2009, 09:20 AM
I am not an official, but a very avid fan of football. I have watched several hundred games over the years and on any given game night I probably see two or three calls I don't agree with. Sometimes it is a matter of the penalty not having any bearing on the outcome of the play, like a block in the back (bump) fifteen or twenty yards behind the runner. Other times it may be a pass interference call where the offensive and defensive players are bot initiating contact or pushing off. What I have noticed about the games is that what I see in live action is sometimes very questionable, but when it is watched with the benefit of slow motion and isolation on the area where the penalty occurred, the refs usually get it right. My guess would be that I could really only disagree with an average of only one or two plays per game and have a valid argument. Remember that the refs are making calls on live action and where they have to see a specific area of responsibility based on thier assignment. In watching films of games, a penalty could probably be called on almost every play. Very seldome does a single offensive play not include some form of holding, blocks in the back, illegal chop blocks, or illegal use of hands. Likewise, the defense commonly has illegal contact with a receiver after the mythical contact zone and defensive lineman often manhandle offensive lineman by grabbing them and throwing them aside, which qualifies as holding. But, the officials should not and are not the factors that decide the game, they are ther to maintain a fair playing field.

I judge the refs I watch by the consistency that they apply the rules to both teams and am not nearly as concerned with the occasional missed call we all believe we see.

slpybear the bullfan
09-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by wtfootball
I have been watching football at all levels for a lot of years and have never seen officiating as bad as it was in the 2009 playoffs when the Bulls were given a victory against Monahans. I have never seen anything like it before or since. Not the kids fault on either side of the ball, but adults especially those in power should not dictate the outcome and that is what happened on that night.

OMG... get. over. it.

I am sure if it was as bad as you claim on here that the UIL apologized, officials were banned, your coaches refused to play with the UIL anymore... :rolleyes:

grahampaw
09-02-2009, 10:06 AM
I was at that game.It wasnt the refs that cost you the game.Bridgeport was the better team.

Bullaholic
09-02-2009, 10:10 AM

You know, ***---you apologized for such posts you made after some of the game threads last season. Was that insincerity? Change of mind?

The Bulls fought and clawed their way to a great come-from-behind, odds-defying playoff victory which they EARNED over a great and determined Monahans team, and lost an all-state QB and RB to injury in the process. I hope anyone who loves highschool football will never, ever resort to trying to diminish another team's victory with an unfortunate post such as yours. I have nothing but good, sincere, and admirable things to say about the Monahans coaches, players, and MOST of their fans.

I think the Loboes have a very bright season ahead this year, and I wish them nothing but a great year, and I hope Quincy Titus recovers 100% from injury soon---he is a great player on a good team with great heart. I hope the Bulls have the honor and pleasure of playing Monahans in the playoffs again this year.

BwdLion_80
09-02-2009, 10:30 AM
I have watched several hundred games over the years and on any given game night I probably see two or three calls I don't agree with. Sometimes it is a matter of the penalty not having any bearing on the outcome of the play, like a block in the back (bump) fifteen or twenty yards behind the runner.

If the block in the back was 15 to 20 yards behind the play, why make it at all? It has nothing to do with the play and should not be made. It is more of a safety issue since most of the time those players that far behind the play are not truly pursuing the ball carrier and they are in more of a defenseless position. When I trail a play, I usually can tell which player(s) are going to make the block way behind the play, just by their actions, before they make the block. They seem to home in on their target, knowing that there is nothing the opposing player can/will do about it.

waterboy
09-02-2009, 10:36 AM
I think that, for the most part, officials do a very good job. There are occasions where they make mistakes, but it is usually rare. They are human and will make mistakes, but they don't have the benefit of instant replay......they call it live, and for every perceived mistake they make they probably could've called something else on the same play and been right. There's also gonna be those nights where the referees seem to play too large a part in the outcome of a game, but even then they still call the games within the rules.

I do have a question for one of the referees on here:

A team goes back to punt, the ball is muffed, picked up, kicked but partially blocked. The ball is then picked up by a player on the punting team, and ran in for a TD. How is this a legal play?:nerd:

pirate4state
09-02-2009, 10:37 AM
I have been watching football at all levels for a lot of years and have never seen officiating as bad as it was in the 2009 playoffs when the Bulls were given a victory against Monahans. I have never seen anything like it before or since. Not the kids fault on either side of the ball, but adults especially those in power should not dictate the outcome and that is what happened on that night. good grief you are still :weeping: about that? my God man, let it go!

BwdLion_80
09-02-2009, 10:38 AM
If the blocked ball does not travel past the line of scrimmage the kicking team can advance the ball.

waterboy
09-02-2009, 10:56 AM
If the blocked ball does not travel past the line of scrimmage the kicking team can advance the ball.
That's just it, though! The ball DID go past the line of scrimmage. The line of scrimmage was the 39-yard-line, the ball was picked up at about the 46-yard-line. There's also a question whether the ball was actually blocked, too.:doh: I don't think it was actually touched...........and I can't tell on the video, either.:confused: It was counted as a TD, though. Fortunately, it didn't change the outcome of the game, but it didn't make a lot closer. The referees really blew that call...... Oh, well....

BwdLion_80
09-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Well, if it did go past the LOS, and the receiving team touched the ball once it passed the LOS, then it is a live ball too. Did anyone touch it after it crossed the LOS?

TexMike
09-02-2009, 12:17 PM
When I trail a play, I usually can tell which player(s) are going to make the block way behind the play, just by their actions, before they make the block. They seem to home in on their target, knowing that there is nothing the opposing player can/will do about it.

And I trust you are flagging this as a personal foul and NOT as a block in the back?

Originally posted by waterboy
A team goes back to punt, the ball is muffed, picked up, kicked but partially blocked. The ball is then picked up by a player on the punting team, and ran in for a TD. How is this a legal play?:nerd:

I can't really understand what happened in this play. Can you provide approx yard lines where ball was snapped from, where it was muffed, where it was kicked the 2d time from, where it was partially blocked (or not), and where the kicking team player picked the ball up before running to the end zone?

waterboy
09-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Well, if it did go past the LOS, and the receiving team touched the ball once it passed the LOS, then it is a live ball too. Did anyone touch it after it crossed the LOS?
No. Nobody on the receiving team touched the ball, unless it was actually blocked, after which it did go past the line of scrimmage. I think it was just a botched call.

waterboy
09-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by TexMike
I can't really understand what happened in this play. Can you provide approx yard lines where ball was snapped from, where it was muffed, where it was kicked the 2d time from, where it was partially blocked (or not), and where the kicking team player picked the ball up before running to the end zone? [/B]
See my later post above.

TexMike
09-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Once the kick cross the line of scrimmage, the best the kicking team can hope for is to be able to recover it someplace. They would never be authorized to advance with the ball. Even if it was touched beyond the "expanded neutral zone" by the receivers , the kickers could only recover the ball (and get a 1st down). If it was touched in the expanded neutral zone in an attempt to block the kick, the kickers could not even legally recover the ball downfield, much less advance with it.

LE Dad
09-02-2009, 12:54 PM
I have been watching football at all levels for a lot of years and have never seen officiating as bad as it was in the 2009 playoffs when the Bulls were given a victory against Monahans. I have never seen anything like it before or since. Not the kids fault on either side of the ball, but adults especially those in power should not dictate the outcome and that is what happened on that night. :hand: You think you got jobbed:mad: No one even told me that the 2009 playoffs had started!:doh:

DaHop72
09-02-2009, 05:21 PM
I have been watching football at all levels for a lot of years and have never seen officiating as bad as it was in the 2009 playoffs when the Bulls were given a victory against Monahans. I have never seen anything like it before or since. Not the kids fault on either side of the ball, but adults especially those in power should not dictate the outcome and that is what happened on that night. It's amazing that you keep bringing this up. It would appear that you are the only one that saw such a lousy game by the officials. What we, (posters from Snyder and Sweetwater) saw was a good hard hitting game played by two teams who left it on the field. Both teams had many missed chances and both had key injured players toughing it out to the end to move on. It's a shame that you are so slanted with your green-colored glasses that you missed such a good game.

OldBison75
09-02-2009, 05:36 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have watched several hundred games over the years and on any given game night I probably see two or three calls I don't agree with. Sometimes it is a matter of the penalty not having any bearing on the outcome of the play, like a block in the back (bump) fifteen or twenty yards behind the runner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Response from BWDLION:

If the block in the back was 15 to 20 yards behind the play, why make it at all? It has nothing to do with the play and should not be made. It is more of a safety issue since most of the time those players that far behind the play are not truly pursuing the ball carrier and they are in more of a defenseless position. When I trail a play, I usually can tell which player(s) are going to make the block way behind the play, just by their actions, before they make the block. They seem to home in on their target, knowing that there is nothing the opposing player can/will do about it.

MY ANSWER:
Let me make it clear that I am not saying that a true block or cheap shot should be ignored. What I referenced was when two players behind the play bump into eah other or just get tangled up and the ref calls the illegal block, whether clipping or holding or whatever. If there is any indication that the blocker was intentionally trying to get in a cheap shot, the flag should definitely be for personal foul and the player ejected as far as I'm concerned. I'm sorry that my use of the description "(bump)" was not clarified in my first post.

And, I have seen the calls go in my teams favor as much as I have against my team, so I'm not complaining that the refs are out to get my team.

BullsFan
09-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
It's amazing that you keep bringing this up. It would appear that you are the only one that saw such a lousy game by the officials. What we, (posters from Snyder and Sweetwater) saw was a good hard hitting game played by two teams who left it on the field. Both teams had many missed chances and both had key injured players toughing it out to the end to move on. It's a shame that you are so slanted with your green-colored glasses that you missed such a good game.

I am SO glad there were other 3ADLers at that game so no one can say that our claims that it was a fair game are our maroon-colored glasses. You'd think the fact that so many impartial observers disagree with *** would cause him to rethink his stance, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I could talk about the fact that we had such key injuries in that game that almost certainly helped our demise at LH's hands, but instead I choose to look to THIS YEAR and the upcoming season. GO BULLS!