PDA

View Full Version : Wk 0 Surprises

Bullaholic
08-31-2009, 01:29 PM
Anybody win or lose in Wk. 0 that surprised you? Anybody win/lose by a lot more points than you anticipated?

I was somewhat surprised that Sweetwater and LH both got blanked.

pero chato
08-31-2009, 01:34 PM
I was expecting a lower scoring closer game with Vernon

LE Dad
08-31-2009, 01:35 PM
The 3 big surprises I can think of are :
1. How close Brownwood came to being upset.

2. How closely Jasper played Gilmer in 1st half.

3. LH being shut out.

Bullaholic
08-31-2009, 01:38 PM
Argyle by only 7 over IP surprised me a little. IP must have made a lot of progress this season.

turbostud
08-31-2009, 01:42 PM
Robstown over Rio Hondo was a bit of a surprise in Reg 4. Watch out for them CottonPickers.:D

Rocket
08-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad

3. LH being shut out.

Brownwood's best WR (best in the state) and best CB didn't play. If he would have been there you are looking at a 21 point swing in Brownwood's favor. We also played a program in which Shipley hired alot of the coaches including the head coach. You don't think they knew what to expect? We also started 15 JR's and 2 SOPH's. I was happy with just finding a way to win. A close game was expected.

pirate4state
08-31-2009, 01:54 PM

3. LH being shut out.

4. Celina only putting up 28 against Ferris

5. Rockdale's drumming over Llano; after Llano peeps warning of "be careful what you wish for"

Originally posted by Rocket
Brownwood's best WR (best in the state) and best CB didn't play. If he would have been there you are looking at a 21 point swing in Brownwood's favor. We also played a program in which Shipley hired alot of the coaches including the head coach. You don't think they knew what to expect? We also started 15 JR's and 2 SOPH's. I was happy with just finding a way to win. A close game was expected.

wow, all this after predictions of "wait for what's coming" :rolleyes: :hand: :D

LE Dad
08-31-2009, 02:00 PM
Brownwood's best WR (best in the state) and best CB didn't play. If he would have been there you are looking at a 21 point swing in Brownwood's favor. We also played a program in which Shipley hired alot of the coaches including the head coach. You don't think they knew what to expect? We also started 15 JR's and 2 SOPH's. I was happy with just finding a way to win. A close game was expected. :hand: Easy there guy. Question was what surprise me. It surprised me how close your game was, thats all.:cool:

LE Dad
08-31-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
4. Celina only putting up 28 against Ferris

5. Rockdale's drumming over Llano; after Llano peeps warning of "be careful what you wish for"

wow, all this after predictions of "wait for what's coming" :rolleyes: :hand: :D :clap: :clap: That's what I'm screaming!

lostaussie
08-31-2009, 02:06 PM
Suprised me when the lights went out in Fruitvale at halftime:D hey game over.............lets go home:thumbsup: Easy win for Union Hill, only had to play 1 half and I got home by 10:30!!!!

Bullaholic
08-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Looks like more 2A teams won against 3A teams than lost. Some of those 2A wins were real donkey stompings.

lostaussie
08-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Looks like more 2A teams won against 3A teams than lost. Some of those 2A wins were real donkey stompings. We gonna reverse that trend on Sept.25 :D

waterboy
08-31-2009, 02:09 PM
A lot of teams had "first game jitters". Gilmer didn't play very well, especially in the first half of that Jasper game, but they poured it on in the second half.:thumbsup: I think Jasper is pretty salty, and I'll bet they make the playoffs out of 18AAA if they continue to improve.

Liberty Hill getting shut out was the biggest surprise to me. I thought Giddings would win, but I wouldn't have thought it would've been a shutout.

Ex-Tiger2005
08-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Lubbock Cooper getting beat by Bushland 48-9! I know Bushland is good but dang I thought it would be better than that. And our score surprised me a bit too I thought we would get back in the game but we never did obviously. We got a lot of growing up to do!

waterboy
08-31-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Suprised me when the lights went out in Fruitvale at halftime:D hey game over.............lets go home:thumbsup: Easy win for Union Hill, only had to play 1 half and I got home by 10:30!!!!
We stopped and ate, so we didn't make it home till 11:00. That transformer catching afire was pretty strange. There was a fire truck there that just sat there and didn't do anything. Even when the grass caught on fire under it, they just sat there for a long time and did nothing. Strange indeed.....:doh:

Maroon87
08-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Robstown over Rio Hondo was a bit of a surprise in Reg 4. Watch out for them CottonPickers.:D

That was a big shock IMO...

Rocket
08-31-2009, 02:57 PM
:hand: Easy there guy. Question was what surprise me. It surprised me how close your game was, thats all.:cool:

I am not upset. Just giving you the reasons why it was a surprise.

BuckeyeNut
08-31-2009, 03:05 PM
My surprises cam in the First Half of the Gilmer game when i looked down and Jasper did not have a Def Line and about 8 LB's then all of them came in. No wonder the O line was getting trashed.

handNthedirt
08-31-2009, 03:14 PM

I've noticed that the word "If" comes up in a lot of Rockets commentary, as well as excuses. Just an observation. Carry on.

LE Dad
08-31-2009, 03:25 PM
I am not upset. Just giving you the reasons why it was a surprise. :thumbsup: Gotcha.

BurkFan
08-31-2009, 04:30 PM
Anybody win or lose in Wk. 0 that surprised you? Anybody win/lose by a lot more points than you anticipated?

I was somewhat surprised that Sweetwater and LH both got blanked.

Sweetwater will do well this year. First game jitters I think. They had some opportunities in the red zone but turnovers got'em.

44INAROW
08-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Brownwood's best WR (best in the state)

wow - you've seen all the WR's in Texas and made this determination so early in the season? I am impressed :p

Electus Unus
08-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Brownwood's best WR (best in the state) the best WR in the state plays QB this year ;)

Snydertigersrul
08-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
wow - you've seen all the WR's in Texas and made this determination so early in the season? I am impressed :p

He must be one of those juniors who are ready to play in the NFL.

coach
08-31-2009, 05:27 PM
i was surprised that fairfield didnt beat china spring

LE Dad
08-31-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
He must be one of those juniors who are ready to play in the NFL. If 1 offensive and 1 defensive player can make a 21 point swing. Yep NFL all the way... :clap:

orange machine
08-31-2009, 06:05 PM

I wont argue that Jaxon is a good WR, but he is far from the best in the state.

Rocket
08-31-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
I wont argue that Jaxon is a good WR, but he is far from the best in the state.

How about this.. 3A. And how in the world would you know he isn't? Have you EVER seen him run a route and catch a ball?

Rocket
08-31-2009, 06:07 PM

Yup. Not a soul in 3A that will be able to cover him. I will promise you that.

Rocket
08-31-2009, 06:08 PM

Snyder sucks.

Gsquared
08-31-2009, 06:17 PM
I love ya dude but one man doesnt create a 21 pt swing. I saw Jaxon last year with Coppell, while a great reciever, he doesnt account for that many points.

Gsquared
08-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Yup. Not a soul in 3A that will be able to cover him. I will promise you that.
And I think there are atleast two corners and a safety from West Orange Stark that might have something to say about that. Heck, theres a freakin linebacker that sometimes slides into a two technique from Stark that can cover Jaxon Shipley.

orange machine
08-31-2009, 06:26 PM
How about this.. 3A. And how in the world would you know he isn't? Have you EVER seen him run a route and catch a ball?

As a matter of fact i have seen him run routes and catch the ball in 7 on 7 this year at Arlington Bowie and in College station. Jaxson is a deep threat his route running is nothing special. He is tall so all Brownwood did was throw the ball up to him and he would go get it. I also watched him during 7 on 7 push off the defender when the defender would have perfect coverage on him. If he gets away with it and doesnt get flagged then good for him. He is a very good reciever if you are talking about him running 40 yeards down the field and throwing it up to him. When it comes to running routes he is like any other WR.

LE Dad
08-31-2009, 06:43 PM
Yup. Not a soul in 3A that will be able to cover him. I will promise you that. :DTo use one of your lines. :thinking: You must be smoking crap!:mad:

LE Dad
08-31-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
I love ya dude but one man doesnt create a 21 pt swing. I saw Jaxon last year with Coppell, while a great reciever, he doesnt account for that many points. :clap: :clap:

95mustang
08-31-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
As a matter of fact i have seen him run routes and catch the ball in 7 on 7 this year at Arlington Bowie and in College station. Jaxson is a deep threat his route running is nothing special. He is tall so all Brownwood did was throw the ball up to him and he would go get it. I also watched him during 7 on 7 push off the defender when the defender would have perfect coverage on him. If he gets away with it and doesnt get flagged then good for him. He is a very good reciever if you are talking about him running 40 yeards down the field and throwing it up to him. When it comes to running routes he is like any other WR.

Tall? I didn't realize he was so much taller than everyone else. Hmmm. Guess I am used to to seeing 7 ft receivers running across the field. :D

I will say this he is a tremendous talent. There may be some folks that can cover him out there but they are few and far between. My next question will be: Can they cover him every time the ball is snapped?

WOS1
08-31-2009, 07:08 PM

I was thinking the same thing...:thinking:

WOS1
08-31-2009, 07:14 PM
And I think there are atleast two corners and a safety from West Orange Stark that might have something to say about that. Heck, theres a freakin linebacker that sometimes slides into a two technique from Stark that can cover Jaxon Shipley.

G, I'm guessing you made the game? Those Sophomore corners aren't bad, are they?:nerd: ;)

garciap77
08-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
I've noticed that the word "If" comes up in a lot of Rockets commentary, as well as excuses. Just an observation. Carry on.
I was wondering what those words ("If" and "Excuses") were!:D

;)

garciap77
08-31-2009, 07:22 PM

Come On Now!!!!!! Where did you hear that?:D

;)

LE Dad
08-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
I was wondering what those words ("If" and "Excuses") were!:D

;)
:doh:

Gsquared
08-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
G, I'm guessing you made the game? Those Sophomore corners aren't bad, are they?:nerd: ;)
Yeah, ended up sitting on the Nederland side. I was VERY impressed with the corners. Safety was good too. D-line was really good as well. If the D-Line had just one or two more guys to sub in, whoa, that D would be incredible (Not that they werent good as is).

WOS1
08-31-2009, 07:39 PM
Yeah, ended up sitting on the Nederland side. I was VERY impressed with the corners. Safety was good too. D-line was really good as well. If the D-Line had just one or two more guys to sub in, whoa, that D would be incredible (Not that they werent good as is).

Actually, I'm not sure if you noticed, but big #65 on our sideline who was hurt is a sub along with #52 who you probably saw out there. 65 is 265 and very strong and he alternates with the other 2 guys. He is the short yardage NG. He will be back this week.

Gsquared
08-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
Actually, I'm not sure if you noticed, but big #65 on our sideline who was hurt is a sub along with #52 who you probably saw out there. 65 is 265 and very strong and he alternates with the other 2 guys. He is the short yardage NG. He will be back this week.
Oh dang, thats bad news for opponents. My favorite part of the night was how the PA guy sold the Power Aide drinks hehe. I liked that guy. Of course, I was a bit upset when he kept saying that smoked boudain was available at the concession stand. I went down durning the 2nd qtr to get some, waited in line for 15 mins and the guy said "they have boudain on the home side". I was able to buy 5 lbs at Mikes Boudain Shack in Port Arthur before the game. Ima be eatin boudain every night this week.

Electus Unus
08-31-2009, 08:40 PM
If Jaxon is the player Jordan is he could create that 21 point swing yall speak of in the return game and offensively.

eagleqb_14
08-31-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by coach
i was surprised that fairfield didnt beat china spring i new they were going to get beat, but not by 53!!!!!!!!!!

blaster
09-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Argyle by only 7 over IP surprised me a little. IP must have made a lot of progress this season.

That surprised me as well and kind of makes me nervous. IP was rebuilding last year but besides that, they have always given the Bulls fits in the past. Could make the District race a little more exciting!