PDA

View Full Version : Leave cheering to the cheerleaders

Rabdad
11-14-2003, 05:35 PM
Am I just too old? or does it bother other people when players turn to the crowd, and flail their arms to get the fans to make noise.

Ive never seen a cheerleader run on to the field to help block, or tackle.

BrahmaMom
11-14-2003, 05:37 PM
I'm with you on this--I want those players FOCUSED!

GlenRosePoster
11-14-2003, 05:43 PM
yeah thats pretty gay, they see people in college and the pros doing it so they think they should do it too. While your playing on the field you should have everything tuned out except the play that is happening or the upcoming play.

Texan007
11-14-2003, 05:43 PM
That does'nt bother me as much as the trash talking and jumping around some players do after not so great plays.

jason
11-14-2003, 05:46 PM
it doesnt bother me...at some points during the game, maybe the players want some loud, nosise motivation from the crowd and the cheerleaders are (god help me) to ditzy to realize it....

3afan2K3
11-14-2003, 05:50 PM
If they have to be focused then they shouldnt let the cheerleaders stand right behind them, they get very annoying

CatWoman
11-14-2003, 05:53 PM
jason:
it doesnt bother me...at some points during the game, maybe the players want some loud, nosise motivation from the crowd and the cheerleaders are (god help me) to ditzy to realize it....Amen to that. I am a former cheerleader, but by gosh we new when to yell DEFENSE and when to yell GO GO GO and to get the crowd to do the yelling.

Bandera YaYa
11-14-2003, 05:53 PM
jason:
it doesnt bother me...at some points during the game, maybe the players want some loud, nosise motivation from the crowd and the cheerleaders are (god help me) to ditzy to realize it....You got it exactly correct! :D

Sintonz_Wrecken
11-14-2003, 05:55 PM
I think thats a good thing...Shows you they are really into the game & feelin the momentum..and MOMENTUM is a KEY factor in any sport

jason
11-14-2003, 05:55 PM
Bandera YaYa:

jason:
it doesnt bother me...at some points during the game, maybe the players want some loud, nosise motivation from the crowd and the cheerleaders are (god help me) to ditzy to realize it....You got it exactly correct! :D SEE....I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT, WELL, SOMETIMES ANYWAYS...

BigChamp05
11-14-2003, 06:03 PM
Who cares. They are out there playing, doing their best. If they want the crowd to stand up and cheer, stand up and cheer. They are busting their butts so ya'll can come here and brag about them. Give them their due. =)

jason
11-14-2003, 06:07 PM
BigChamp05:
Who cares. They are out there playing, doing their best. If they want the crowd to stand up and cheer, stand up and cheer. They are busting their butts so ya'll can come here and brag about them. Give them their due. =)youre picture is too big

Ranger Mom
11-14-2003, 06:33 PM
That's always been a BIG pet peeve of mine, not that the players are doing it, but that they feel they need to. IMO, the crowd shouldn't have to be pumped up - they should be yelling anyway. I very seldom sit-down and hardly EVER shut-up!! :D :D

3afan
11-14-2003, 06:45 PM
i dont think its a big deal. you can still be focused 100% and notice the crowd kinda dead and try to do something about it. whats the harm? besides, the cheerleaders are (borderline) good at doing cheers, not getting the crowd up at when-the-team-needs-it times. they mostly dont know whats hasppening on the field anyway, they're more concerned with "other" things.

Green Ranger
11-14-2003, 06:52 PM
This is fairly simple, if the fans were doing their jobs at the right time, getting rowy/getting quiet etc. The players wouldnt have to turn around and wave fans in the air. Cheerleaders and band, same thing. Out at Greenwood we are lucky to have a great band, and if they are off tempo with a simple look they know to blast the music. Simply put, get out of your seat so the players can be proud of those behind them.

jason
11-14-2003, 06:57 PM
lol...yeah Forney's band is great at pumping up the crowd... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BHS#1
11-14-2003, 08:09 PM
Ranger Mom:
That's always been a BIG pet peeve of mine, not that the players are doing it, but that they feel they need to. IMO, the crowd shouldn't have to be pumped up - they should be yelling anyway. I very seldom sit-down and hardly EVER shut-up!! :D :D And that what a proud mama is suppose to do. My kids don't like to sit by me because I am waaayyy to embarassing. I think the defense does it more than the offense to try to throw the other team off.

fullhouse
11-15-2003, 02:25 PM
They have every right to tell us when we need to do more yelling ~ afterall, don't we tell them when they need to block, run, catch, and tackle better????? It's sad that they need to ask for more support though... we're obviously not carrying our share of the load when they feel the need to ask for more.

lepfan
11-15-2003, 03:18 PM
Ranger Mom:
That's always been a BIG pet peeve of mine, not that the players are doing it, but that they feel they need to. IMO, the crowd shouldn't have to be pumped up - they should be yelling anyway. I very seldom sit-down and hardly EVER shut-up!! :D :D Amen sister!!!! Fans should not be on their dead butts to where the players feel the need to tell you to get up...If you sit on your butt and make no noise you are only a SPECTATOR, if you are on your feet cheering and making noise you are a FAN!!! There is a big difference in the two...I am a FAN!!! :D

BHKrystal06
11-15-2003, 03:35 PM
The players cheering doesn't really bother me any, as long as it doesn't go to their heads.

Rabdad
11-15-2003, 05:38 PM
Like I said..maybe I'm too old. Back in the day, we weren't allowed to even look in the stands.
I stand always....and am loud to the point of being obnoxious. I can guarantee they are not talking to me.
But like I say if you want the crowd to yell. STICK SOMEBODY!!

hornet_06
11-15-2003, 06:33 PM
Rabdad:
Am I just too old? or does it bother other people when players turn to the crowd, and flail their arms to get the fans to make noise.

Ive never seen a cheerleader run on to the field to help block, or tackle.

hornet_06
11-15-2003, 06:35 PM
Rabdad:

Ive never seen a cheerleader run on to the field to help block, or tackle.no you're not too old! when the guys flail their arms in the crowd they're telling them to get up and yell...it helps the guys out when the crowd yells and not just sit there! They need the crowd to yell and sometimes, from experience as a varsity cheerleader, it's hard to get the crowd to yell with us....especially the Caldwell crowd! but no ur not too old! They just want the crowd to yell louder or more!

20dawgz05
11-16-2003, 02:01 AM
personaly i like when the players do that!!!... it gets the crowd pumped up knowing that the players are, more so that any 2 bits 4 bits 6 bits a doller could...but thats just me!! :p

exbccards76'smom
11-16-2003, 06:58 AM
I don't mind it, either. I feel the guys want a little extra encouragement sometimes. And that is the way the players get our fans into it. Good luck to everyone that's heading to the next round. wink

District303aPastPlayer
11-16-2003, 11:31 AM
fullhouse
[QB]afterall, don't we tell them when they need to block, run, catch, and tackle better????? QB]IMO... this happens too much =x

JasperDog94
11-16-2003, 11:39 AM
20dawgz05:
2 bits 4 bits 6 bits a doller That's about as lame as it gets. :rolleyes:

20dawgz05
11-16-2003, 01:09 PM
yeah that was my point

BrainDamage
11-16-2003, 04:14 PM
Most of the time the only time the cheerleaders get the crowd on their feet is when their throwing stuff after a TD...

X21AAAPlayer
11-16-2003, 04:54 PM
A loud, large and screaming crowd does two things. Pumps up their boys and intimidates the others. What's more intimidating than thousands of people cheering every time your QB gets his head knocked off?

merlin69
11-16-2003, 09:17 PM
this is definitely for the cheerleaders... the players should be watchin the game instead of crowd pleasing. if the crowd aint loud enough the players obviously arent doin anything to make them want to be loud.

b-townhottie06
11-16-2003, 10:26 PM
Ya know..i agree with Jason! LOL!

Even if the players haven't been doing things to get the crownd PUPMED then by the fans yelling it sure in the heck gets them PUMPED!! I have seen alot of football players do it and they seemed to get pumped up after the crowd started making more noise!!!

slpybear the bullfan
11-16-2003, 10:36 PM
When I was on the field I almost never paid attention to the stands... there is just too much happening to keep your attention focused... well, it should be focused.

IMHO you should be watching what it happening and not worrying about being a cheerleader. We have people to take care of that.

A player has 99.99% of the direct ability to impact the game.

The Crowd has 0.01%.

Worry about that 99.99% and the rest takes care of itself.

JasperDog94
11-17-2003, 10:00 AM
slpybear the bullfan:

The Crowd has 0.01%.

Worry about that 99.99% and the rest takes care of itself.I think Bret Favre would disagree with you on this one. Something about it being 10 degrees, backed up in your end of the field, and the home crowd going nuts so you can't audible...or even hear yourself think for that matter. :D

LogieJoeBean001
11-17-2003, 11:03 AM
It doesn't really bother me either. It makes me very sad to think that the players on the field feel that their fans aren't into the game any more than that so they have to try and rally them from on the field. I do also feel that this shows that the players are pumped up and are asking for fan support. If the cheerleaders WERE doing their job, then the players wouldn't have to! On the other hand, if the FANS were doing their job the players wouldn't have to either. I embarrass my kids too, with the jumping up and down and yelling and screaming. I just can't figure why the other fans aren't jumping up and down and yelling and screaming like me? I've decided that they feel embarrassed by doing this. What's up with that? Who cares! That's your team out there giving it everything they've got, why can't the fans do the same?

JasperDog94
11-17-2003, 11:21 AM
I know that this will step on some toes, but here goes anyway: Cheerleaders are nothing more than a glorified dance team that gets to stand on the sidelines. They have ZERO impact on the game. To prove this point, ask yourself this question: When was the last time that the cheerleaders actually LED the fans in cheering for their team? IMHO the band does a better job (in most cases) of getting the crowd pumped up. (depending on whether or not the band director is paying attention to the game) For that matter, some fans in the stands do pretty good job too.

I've never understood the purpose of the cheerleaders other than to stand there, do the little cutesie cheers that nobody pays attention to, and look pretty. :rolleyes: I know that this is harsh, but it is the way I feel. This is just my opinion and I'm sure that you have yours, so...fire away.

BulldogGrl64
11-17-2003, 11:57 AM
JasperDog94:
I know that this will step on some toes, but here goes anyway: Cheerleaders are nothing more than a glorified dance team that gets to stand on the sidelines. They have ZERO impact on the game. To prove this point, ask yourself this question: When was the last time that the cheerleaders actually LED the fans in cheering for their team? IMHO the band does a better job (in most cases) of getting the crowd pumped up. (depending on whether or not the band director is paying attention to the game) For that matter, some fans in the stands do pretty good job too.

I've never understood the purpose of the cheerleaders other than to stand there, do the little cutesie cheers that nobody pays attention to, and look pretty. :rolleyes: I know that this is harsh, but it is the way I feel. This is just my opinion and I'm sure that you have yours, so...fire away.Wow that's a tad bit harsh don't you think?! Being a former cheerleader, I know all of the stereotypes that are placed on cheerleaders. But cheerleaders do have a purpose on the sidelines and that is to keep the crowd motivated and to help keep the spirit level up. If the cheerleaders at your school were unable to do that, then that's sad for them, but don't classify all cheerladers into the ditzy/worthless category. Some of us (former/current) cheerleaders get into the game and get the crowd motivated and are not all about standing out there on the sideline in a short skirt just to look cute. Cheerleaders are just as much a part of the game as everyone else. It wouldn't be a football game without the cheerleaders, or even the band/danceteam, fans. Take one of those out and you take away from the whole football experience. So give the cheerleaders that actually do what they are suppose to do some credit.

CatsDen
11-17-2003, 12:23 PM
I'm all for it, as long as it is not excessive. The players know when the big play is brewing, and if they want a little extra noise - then give it to them. The fans should know the key situations as well. Nothing sounds better than the deafening roar of a crowd chanting DEFENSE, DEFENSE...

Big Red
11-17-2003, 12:28 PM
I NOTICED THIS SEASON THAT SOME OF THE GUYS WOULD TURN TO THE CROWD AND ENCOURAGE THEM TO YELL. I THINK IT IS GREAT FOR THE GUYS TO HEAR A CROWD YELLING FOR THEM (AS LONG AS IT IS POSITIVE).

weatherag07
11-17-2003, 03:04 PM
JasperDog94:

I've never understood the purpose of the cheerleaders other than to stand there, do the little cutesie cheers that nobody pays attention to, and look pretty. :rolleyes: I know that this is harsh, but it is the way I feel. This is just my opinion and I'm sure that you have yours, so...fire away.Glorified dance team?? ha ha ha...most of them can't even dance!! :D

LH Panther Mom
11-17-2003, 04:33 PM
One thing that I think a lot of fans, at least many of ours, don't realize, is that 3rd downs are crucial for noise, whether your team is on offense or defense. Our players have a tendency to get the crowd's attention on 3rd downs. I'm loud all throughout the game.

One of the problems with the cheerleaders is that sometimes they can't see over the players to see what is going on. Honestly, when getting the ball on your own 25 yard line, "TOUCHDOWN" is maybe not the most appropriate cheer.

I think all teams have dead-butt fans who only stand up after 2-bits or after a touchdown, when the cheerleaders are throwing things in the stands. The players need to know that someone, other than their parents, is supporting them.

crzyjournalist03
11-17-2003, 04:38 PM
after a couple of bad calls in last week's game, our crowd made tremendous noise. Once, WP was forced to take a timeout, and another time, they got a delay of game penalty. Crowd noise can definitely impact a team's performance. However, in both of those instances, it was the knowledgeable fans trying to show their support...without having a football player turn and try to pump them up.

DarkWing
11-17-2003, 05:14 PM
I don't see this overdone. If the players think it helps, then it will help. I'm happy to see the players connected with the fan support. This act of enthusiasm cannot be a bad thing.

dawg03
11-17-2003, 07:14 PM
If they want to throw their arms in the air let them throw their arms. It pumps them up. And if their wasn;t noise before, after the team does it their will be noise!

Hot Rod
11-17-2003, 07:23 PM
i like it because i never see the cheerleaders they are not out on the field where i am focusedon the next play of the game

Bearcats213
11-17-2003, 09:06 PM
True, at the moment it might seem cool to flail your arms and act big......Sometimes you don't think when you're pumped up like that...I've watched JH kids that do it and they yell and pump their arms, it's hilarious to watch because they look stupid.

Ladykat5
11-18-2003, 10:09 AM
Well how I see this is that if that bothers you then CHEER!! hehe. Like other people have said they shouldnt have to turn around and get their parents to stand up and cheer you should already be to your feet. I hate going to football games where the opposite side is excited and our side isnt. The football players work hard to show off for you so show then that you appreciate it!! Just my two cents! God bless. GO KENNEDALE!!!!

barney rubble
11-18-2003, 10:57 AM
BigChamp05:
Who cares. They are out there playing, doing their best. If they want the crowd to stand up and cheer, stand up and cheer. They are busting their butts so ya'll can come here and brag about them. Give them their due. =)If the players want the stands to cheer they should make a play worthy of cheering for, not by turning and urging the crowd to cheer.

DarkWing
11-18-2003, 11:28 AM
barney rubble:

BigChamp05:
Who cares. They are out there playing, doing their best. If they want the crowd to stand up and cheer, stand up and cheer. They are busting their butts so ya'll can come here and brag about them. Give them their due. =)If the players want the stands to cheer they should make a play worthy of cheering for, not by turning and urging the crowd to cheer.Every player on every team deserves fan support. They EARNED it when they put up with two-a days and practice. These players are sons, brothers, and friends. What does your son, brother, or friend have to do to get a cheer out of you?

slpybear the bullfan
11-18-2003, 01:06 PM
JasperDog94:

slpybear the bullfan:

The Crowd has 0.01%.

Worry about that 99.99% and the rest takes care of itself.I think Bret Favre would disagree with you on this one. Something about it being 10 degrees, backed up in your end of the field, and the home crowd going nuts so you can't audible...or even hear yourself think for that matter. :D I agree 100% that the crowd can impact that game... There are a lot of fields at the pro, college, and HS level where it can be so loud that it might impact the game. What I should have made clear was that at the 3A level, the crowd really isn't much of a factor. We all like to think so, but it isn't.

<small>[ November 18, 2003, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: slpybear the bullfan ]</small>

slpybear the bullfan
11-18-2003, 01:12 PM
HMMMMM... Sounds like SLPYBEAR's next poll topic was just found!!!

fmsc64
11-18-2003, 03:24 PM
Who Cares? We all are at the game wanting our team to win. The players can stay focused and still encourage the crowd to yell and get excited at the same time. The Cheerleaders are just part of the scene and do their best, but what mother or father isn't going to stand up and yell if their son is encouraging them to do so? Remember it's a game, a contest and is for all who attend.
Find a new topic or get a life! eek!