PDA

View Full Version : Modoc????

BEAST
08-30-2009, 10:27 PM
I haven't really seen anything from La Vega posters. What's up with those Pirates?

BEAST

ccmom
08-30-2009, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
I haven't really seen anything from La Vega posters. What's up with those Pirates?

BEAST

I was just thinking the same thing...haven't heard much about them this season and I am curious. :thinking:

orange machine
08-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Dont remember who they played, but they won big.

bp80884
08-30-2009, 10:36 PM
They played Marlin at Marlin. they won 47-0.

Lost a lot of leaders but they look to be good again this year.

BEAST
08-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Dont remember who they played, but they won big.

Well, we know it wasn't Ferris.

BEAST

orange machine
08-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Well, we know it wasn't Ferris.

BEAST

Yeah they got beat also.

Rabid Cougar
08-30-2009, 10:42 PM
There are none on here. I would not expect too much from LaVega this year. Their running back is in touble with the law (not the one from last year). They are on the smallish side on defence. They had one of their OLineman get seriously injured last spring and they are rallying around him.

BEAST
08-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Yeah they got beat also.

Wow, did that end their winning streak? By the way, so did a GOOD Burnet club.

BEAST

LE Dad
08-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
There are none on here. I would not expect too much from LaVega this year. Their running back is in touble with the law (not the one from last year). They are on the smallish side on defence. They had one of their OLineman get seriously injured last spring and they are rallying around him. There is one on here. He was posting this morning.

orange machine
08-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Wow, did that end their winning streak? By the way, so did a GOOD Burnet club.

BEAST

why are trying to start stuff?

Cadetdad
08-31-2009, 07:33 AM
The Pirates are just as dangerous this year as last. They are reloading and rebuilding after losing alot of great starters. The running back that got in trouble wasnt a starter anyways, the guys they have will be very good by end of season.

95mustang
08-31-2009, 08:13 AM
I don't doubt the fact they will be good. They have alot of talent. They were the only team that really took it to us last year. I felt we had a chance in every game last year except the game with the Pirates. They just lined up and ran through us the second half. I will also say the defense we have this year is not the same defense that stepped on the field last year either. Friday night they played with heart and intensity. I am not making excuses at all but our special teams put the defense's back against the wall on more than one occasion and they came through for us Friday night.

Rocket
08-31-2009, 08:17 AM
Is MODOC running the spread? La Vega did what they should have done against a down and rebuilding 2A. Not impressed.

La Vega mows down Marlin, 47-0
Saturday, August 29, 2009

MARLIN — The La Vega Pirates have adopted the word “finish” as their rallying cry this season, a year after coming up one win short of a state championship.

On this night, it was all about starting strong.

La Vega ensured it would be a special start to the 2009 season by scoring twice on special teams and setting up two other scores thanks to significant kicking-game plays in a 47-0 romp over Marlin on Friday night at Legion Field.

“The kids did a tremendous job, made some big plays,” La Vega coach Willie Williams said.

The Bulldogs, in their first game with new coach Keith Willis, couldn’t find much running room against a stout Pirate defensive front that stopped them for losses 11 times.

“It was a tough night, but there were some encouraging signs,” Willis said. “The positive thing is that we’re not going to face a lot of La Vegas in 2A. I’m proud of our kids and proud of our fans, and I think if they stick with us, we’ll start showing them something.”

The Willis Era got off to a bit of a bumpy start for the Bulldogs. On Marlin’s opening possession, a wild snap on a fourth-down punt attempt sailed over the head of the Marlin punter and out of the back of the end zone for a safety, giving La Vega a quick 2-0 edge.

Three minutes later, the Pirates scored in more conventional, yet explosive, fashion. Senior tailback Arron Brandon hit a seam on a full gallop and sprinted 69 yards through the Marlin defense for the touchdown, upping the Pirates’ lead to 9-0 just over four minutes into the game.

Brandon finished with 104 of La Vega’s 165 rushing yards for the night, taking advantage of some expansive gaps cleared by the Pirate offensive line.

“Those guys (the linemen) came off the ball well, and did a good job,” Williams said. “We just can’t compare them to last year’s group yet, because that was an exceptional line.”

Marlin tried to charge its offense by keeping it grounded, utilizing a similar I-formation to Johnny Tusa’s old Waco High teams, on which Willis was an assistant. But led by the swarming likes of Lamar Williams and C.J. Willis, the Pirate defense kept the Bulldogs bottled up, limiting them to 28 yards rushing in the first half and 72 for the game.

One of the catalysts in La Vega’s recent playoff runs was Danzel Wilson, who has moved on to Kilgore College. While Wilson won’t be forgotten anytime soon, junior Devin McGowan showed flashes of being a worthy successor, displaying a strong arm and a variety of shifty, elusive running moves.

McGowan wiggled 15 yards for a touchdown on a keeper in the first half, then added an eye-popping 52-yard punt return for a score in which he blew past the entire Marlin team.

“Devin’s a great athlete, no doubt,” Williams said. “He still made some mental errors, and he’s got to get better as a passer. But he’s an even better open-field runner (than Wilson).”

La Vega took a 19-0 lead into halftime after an efficient 30-second drill to close the half. The Pirates’ Williams burst through the line to block the punt of Marlin’s Oscar Pena, which was subsequently recovered by La Vega after a mad scramble with 33 seconds left before the break. Four plays later, La Vega’s Eddy Gonzales booted a 25-yard field goal through the uprights.

Marlin’s woes in the kicking game continued in the second half. Adding injury to insult, Pena suffered an apparent leg injury trying to chase down another high snap in the third quarter, though he later returned to the game.

The Pirates extended the gap to 40-0 by the end of the third quarter, then Williams emptied the bench. Tyrell Irby scored on a pair of touchdown runs in mop-up duty.

Lee Diles led the run-oriented Marlin attack with 43 yards on 20 carries.

La Vega will play Brownwood next week, while Marlin hosts Connally.

plpsftball
08-31-2009, 03:45 PM
A Pirate fan is here and ready for the beatdown of the lions this friday

LE Dad
08-31-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by plpsftball
A Pirate fan is here and ready for the beatdown of the lions this friday :clap: Welcome :thinking: What's up with your team. Don't know much bout them.

plpsftball
08-31-2009, 04:20 PM
Lost alot of leadership but put that aside and i think in all we are a faster team this year. The defense was flying around all game against Marlin. Then i hear Bwood lost there best player to injury. LV was using 3 backs the whole game and the QB is just as fast as the backs and can throw.

LE Dad
08-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Lost alot of leadership but put that aside and i think in all we are a faster team this year. The defense was flying around all game against Marlin. Then i hear Bwood lost there best player to injury. LV was using 3 backs the whole game and the QB is just as fast as the backs and can throw. Sounds like you guys can be a nightmare for Bwd. Typically speed kills West Texas teams. Just have to limit turnovers. I think this should be a great game. I wish both teams a safe, injury free game. Good Luck .:)

plpsftball
08-31-2009, 04:38 PM
Speed kills anywhere not just west Texas.

BEAST
08-31-2009, 04:51 PM

True, and if you look at the map you will see Brownwood is not in West Texas. We are geographically a whopping 23 miles from the dead center of the state. I think that makes us Central Texas.:thinking: :thinking:

BEAST

nobogey72
08-31-2009, 05:01 PM
True, and if you look at the map you will see Brownwood is not in West Texas. We are geographically a whopping 23 miles from the dead center of the state. I think that makes us Central Texas.:thinking: :thinking:

BEAST

Isn't Brady the dead center of the state? I always thought it was strange that Abilene is considered West Texas. El Paso is about as West as you can get, and it's 450 miles from Abilene. :confused:

Electus Unus
08-31-2009, 05:03 PM

BEAST no bwood isn't considered central texas.

LE Dad
08-31-2009, 05:08 PM

BEAST :clap: Everything is West for me. Lol Especially if I have to drive 6 hrs to get there..:thumbsup:

LE Dad
08-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
no bwood isn't considered central texas. :doh: Cool, had me worried, never was good with maps. Lol:clap:

LE Dad
08-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Speed kills anywhere not just west Texas. You are correct...

:D

Pudlugger
08-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Okay i'll bite. What is Modoc?

Rocket
08-31-2009, 05:44 PM
no bwood isn't considered central texas.

LOL according to who? You? Brownwood is Central Texas.

Central Texas Women's Clinic
(325) 643-1526
2410 Crockett Dr
Brownwood, TX 76801

You might want to call and let these people know they need to change their business name to West Texas Women's Clinic.

Electus Unus
08-31-2009, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Rocket

(325) 643-1526
2410 Crockett Dr
Brownwood, TX 76801

You might want to call and let these people know they need to change their business name to West Texas Women's Clinic. it's a women's clinic they'll never understand :D

cshscougar08
08-31-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Okay i'll bite. What is Modoc?

A Modoc is a land pirate.

Trashman
08-31-2009, 06:04 PM

I bet that you still believe that the earth is flat as well.:D

Pudlugger
08-31-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08

Land Pirate? How do you get that from 'Modoc'?

Trashman
08-31-2009, 06:09 PM

(325) 643-1526
2410 Crockett Dr
Brownwood, TX 76801

You might want to call and let these people know they need to change their business name to West Texas Women's Clinic.

Or he could call the other 17 business in Brownwood that have Cen-Tex or Central Texas as a part of their name. Even better he should write a letter to the National Geodetic Survey and explain it to them.:D :D :D

95mustang
08-31-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08

I always thought Modoc was a Native American. Their is a tribe of them in Oklahoma.

Looking4number8
08-31-2009, 07:17 PM

(325) 643-1526
2410 Crockett Dr
Brownwood, TX 76801

not to mention the original name of Gordon Wood Stadium was "Cen-Tex Stadium" guess that was the name until the late 80's or so.

And about the Brady thing, the marker stating it is the very center of Texas is on th highway betweem Brownwood and Brady.

ccmom
08-31-2009, 08:31 PM

I thought Brownwood was the center of the Universe! :rolleyes: :D

plpsftball
08-31-2009, 08:33 PM
I was just reposting that some one from the area said speed kills in WEST texas

garciap77
08-31-2009, 08:34 PM
it's a women's clinic they'll never understand :D

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy095.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

garciap77
08-31-2009, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
I thought Brownwood was the center of the Universe! :rolleyes: :D

It's not???????? :vrycnfsd: :vrycnfsd: :vrycnfsd:

;)

Looking4number8
08-31-2009, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by garciap77

It is, y'all should feel privileged to be located close to us.

;)

Trashman
08-31-2009, 09:36 PM

;)

Yes it is........
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo258/thehambonester/BrownwoodCenteroftheUniverse.jpg

garciap77
08-31-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Yes it is........
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo258/thehambonester/BrownwoodCenteroftheUniverse.jpg

Thanks Mr. Trashman! I knew you would come to the rescue!

garciap77
08-31-2009, 09:50 PM
Mr. Trashman! I don't mean to Burst you Bubble! But, I found this on-line! Is it ture?:D
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/BrownwoodCenteroftheUniverse-1.gif

;)

95mustang
08-31-2009, 09:52 PM
Mr. Trashman! I don't mean to Burst you Bubble! But, I found this on-line! Is it ture?:D
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/BrownwoodCenteroftheUniverse-1.gif

;)

So we are the center of Abilene Wylie's universe? :thinking:

Trashman
08-31-2009, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang

Based on the picture, I would say so.......:thinking:

garciap77
08-31-2009, 10:08 PM

Look at the picture and you tell me! We are just the Universe! You just belong to us!:D

;)

garciap77
08-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Based on the picture, I would say so.......:thinking:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Trashman
08-31-2009, 10:09 PM
95 there are just some people who can not live without their Brownwood Lions!:D

plpsftball
08-31-2009, 10:14 PM
This week the Pirates will run all through the Brownwood Lions

95mustang
08-31-2009, 10:19 PM

It appears that way.

95mustang
08-31-2009, 10:23 PM
Look at the picture and you tell me! We are just the Universe! You just belong to us!:D

;)

Doesn't the universe revolve around the center of it. So based on your picture you belong to us. Hey its your picture. :)

BEAST
08-31-2009, 10:23 PM
This week the Pirates will run all through the Brownwood Lions

Not this year. Yall may win, but you won't mash us with the run.

BEAST

plpsftball
08-31-2009, 10:26 PM
Dont hold your breath on that we can still mash the ball

garciap77
08-31-2009, 10:27 PM
Doesn't the universe revolve around the center of it. So based on your picture you belong to us. Hey its your picture. :)
:tisk:

garciap77
08-31-2009, 10:27 PM

:D

LE Dad
08-31-2009, 10:33 PM

;) :clap:

BEAST
08-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Dont hold your breath on that we can still mash the ball

Don't hold yous either. This year we can mash the run.

BEAST

LE Dad
08-31-2009, 11:40 PM
This week the Pirates will run all through the Brownwood Lions :D :clap: :clap:

plpsftball
09-01-2009, 07:24 AM
Time will tell hoe good your d is this year.

LE Dad
09-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Football game? Friday? In Brownwood? First I heard bout it LOL. :D

Cadetdad
09-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Man i might have to trade my game for the Brownwood/LaVega game.....naaaaaahh, plp will keep me updated on the victory.

plpsftball
09-01-2009, 03:54 PM
You know it Remo

Cadetdad
09-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Im still trying to figure out how everyone thinks CS victory over Fairfield was more impressive than the Marlin win...i do believe Marlin would beat them Eagles bad too.

plpsftball
09-01-2009, 03:59 PM
You know it Remo

LE Dad
09-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Cadetdad
Man i might have to trade my game for the Brownwood/LaVega game.....naaaaaahh, plp will keep me updated on the victory. :D LOL maybe get some Bwd ppl over here n actually talk bout game. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

CS DAD
09-01-2009, 09:54 PM

too bad yall cant try your so called speed in china spring

plpsftball
09-01-2009, 10:10 PM
CS Dad we wont even go there.

Rabid Cougar
09-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Im still trying to figure out how everyone thinks CS victory over Fairfield was more impressive than the Marlin win...i do believe Marlin would beat them Eagles bad too.

REMO! You sly dog! And with an alias.

Rabid Cougar
09-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by CS DAD
too bad yall cant try your so called speed in china spring

Don't worry come February we will return to continue the domination!

plpsftball
09-02-2009, 07:30 AM
Rabid i only hope so. Will the waco trib be ready for that?

Cadetdad
09-02-2009, 07:42 AM
I couldnt just sit back and let you guys have all the fun with these Brownwood posters. I had to get in on the action.

Rocket
09-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Time will tell hoe good your d is this year.

You need to just pray your defense is disciplined and conditioned and thank God above Shipley is hurt.

Raider Red
09-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Rocket, in no way would I ever pray to god being thankful a kidwas hurt. And if he is the difference in the "wood winning a game with LV, I would prefer he play as to being injured. But in my 40 years of being around athletics, I have found very few cases of 1 athlete making that much difference. Shipley is a good athlete and I hope he gets well soon, but don't use him as an excuse if the 'Wood loses.

cshscougar08
09-02-2009, 08:45 AM
I couldnt just sit back and let you guys have all the fun with these Brownwood posters. I had to get in on the action.

Yeah you're definitely not one to just stand idly by. ;)

trojan37
09-02-2009, 08:47 AM
You need to just pray your defense is disciplined and conditioned and thank God above Shipley is hurt.

HAHA! I knew it. Any game they lose this year it's because Shipley is hurt. Funny.

BuckeyeNut
09-02-2009, 08:51 AM
I bet that you still believe that the earth is flat as well.:D

Now that know made me LOL:D :D

Rocket
09-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
HAHA! I knew it. Any game they lose this year it's because Shipley is hurt. Funny.

LOL Is he not a difference maker? No excuses... if we lose we lose.

Rocket
09-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Raider Red
Rocket, in no way would I ever pray to god being thankful a kidwas hurt. And if he is the difference in the "wood winning a game with LV, I would prefer he play as to being injured. But in my 40 years of being around athletics, I have found very few cases of 1 athlete making that much difference. Shipley is a good athlete and I hope he gets well soon, but don't use him as an excuse if the 'Wood loses.

No excuses. The team we put on the field Friday is the Brownwood Lions. But, a kid like Shipley is special. He will make a difference when he is back. Believe me. I saw him in one of the scrimmages. He will be missed.

LE Dad
09-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
HAHA! I knew it. Any game they lose this year it's because Shipley is hurt. Funny. :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

plpsftball
09-02-2009, 09:10 AM
yes sir already thinking about that 1st loss

Bullaholic
09-02-2009, 01:09 PM
You Brownwood folks are not going to like me very much this week---I think LaVega still has too much speed and athleticism for even the improved Lions to overcome this week---LaVega by 10 in a good ballgame. If this ends up becoming a shootout, then I like the Lion's chances better.

Looking4number8
09-02-2009, 01:28 PM
I am with Rocket on this one, we can win it but it will be tough. Last years game was just plain ugly in the 2nd half. I still vote for Brownwoood but I do believe if LaVega is anything like last year, this will be the toughest game on our schedule

plpsftball
09-02-2009, 03:00 PM
LV is just as good from what i have seen.

hollywood
09-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Turn that Ratliff kid loose! He'll make some of those young La Vega DB's pay.

BEAST
09-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by hollywood
Turn that Ratliff kid loose! He'll make some of those young La Vega DB's pay.

Its coming.;)

BEAST

hollywood
09-02-2009, 05:02 PM
This will be a hard fought game, no doubt about that. More will be learned from this young team. It will also be a good warm up game before S'ville. Can you believe it, 2 blue and gold teams in a row goin' down!

plpsftball
09-02-2009, 07:15 PM
the Blue and Gold from LV doesnt plan on losing.

plpsftball
09-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Yea he will make them pay if the qb has time to throw

Looking4number8
09-02-2009, 08:22 PM
LV is just as good from what i have seen.

Since you are as big of a homer for your team as I am for my team, I will just have to wait and see for myself

plpsftball
09-02-2009, 09:55 PM
homer maybe but i will tell you when we stink unlike some and will not make any excuses for a loss

Rabid Cougar
09-02-2009, 11:08 PM
homer maybe but i will tell you when we stink unlike some and will not make any excuses for a loss

True

Rocket
09-02-2009, 11:18 PM

LOL I don't think Brownwood is going to lose. So no need for an excuse. Too bad you don't get to watch one of the best receivers in 3A play Friday night. I am sure you are a little relieved, as well... I know your coaches are.

Rocket
09-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
You Brownwood folks are not going to like me very much this week---I think LaVega still has too much speed and athleticism for even the improved Lions to overcome this week---LaVega by 10 in a good ballgame. If this ends up becoming a shootout, then I like the Lion's chances better.

Pretty fair assessment.

I have paid respect to La Vega. They will be eating the crow Friday night. Not me.

Cadetdad
09-03-2009, 06:33 AM
I wish i got to go to that game Friday night, cant wait to see the faces when the lions walk into Pirate stadium, its a pretty imtimidating place to play and when they get the Hooooraaaah going...look out.

plpsftball
09-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Remo you know you will be getting the play by play via text

Cadetdad
09-03-2009, 08:31 AM
hey plp, read in paper this morning...that UIL took eligibility away from a kid that transferred from Connally to CS. I know who he is, cant play varsity so is stuck on JV....love it.

hollywood
09-03-2009, 08:37 AM
I wish i got to go to that game Friday night, cant wait to see the faces when the lions walk into Pirate stadium, its a pretty imtimidating place to play and when they get the Hooooraaaah going...look out. Trust me, Bwd has played in more intimidating places than La Vega.

Cadetdad
09-03-2009, 08:40 AM
when was the last time Brownwood played at LaVega? Alright then

hollywood
09-03-2009, 08:41 AM
the Blue and Gold from LV doesnt plan on losing. Of course the blue and gold from LV don't plan to lose, especially at home. But they just might.