PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Official Passes Away in Cuero

TexMike
08-30-2009, 01:14 PM
From the Board of Directors of the San Antonio Football Chapter of TASO:

We are deeply saddened by the tragic news of the sudden passing of Dr. Byrd. He apparently died in his sleep during the night yesterday at a motel in Cuero, where he and a group of volunteers were planning to do some remodeling work at his church there; this is one of four churches where Dr. Byrd ministered. He has churches in Cuero, Floresville, Lockhart and Temple.

I spoke with Brack Jackson, who officiated with Dr. Byrd on Friday at Cole High School. Brack noted that Dr. Byrd had expressed how excited he was and looking forward to his football schedule this year.

I am at a loss for words, and I cannot really say much except for how I appreciated Dr. Byrd for his generosity and sense of humor. He has always been a good friend, always ready to listen (and speak) and lend a hand, and never failed to give a word of encouragement. I will surely miss him.

In honor of all of our deceased football officiating comrades, I’d like to share the following:

“On Friday nights, as we walk onto the gridiron and look up onto the sky, perhaps the stars are really not stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the smiles of our lost comrades pour through and shine down upon us to let us know that they are happy and resting in eternal peace.”

Our heartfelt condolences go out to Dr. Byrd’s family and our prayers for his soul to rest in eternal peace and for his family to gain strength through this.

44INAROW
08-30-2009, 01:59 PM
I hadn't heard a thing about this.. thanks for sharing.. Prayers to Dr Byrd's family.

TexMike
08-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Dr. Lanier Byrd (August 3, 1946 – August 29, 2009)

From the Board of Directors of the San Antonio Football Chapter of TASO:

We are deeply saddened by the tragic news of the sudden passing of Dr. Byrd. He apparently died in his sleep during the night yesterday at a motel in Cuero, where he and a group of volunteers were planning to do some remodeling work at his church there; this is one of four churches where Dr. Byrd ministered. He has churches in Cuero, Floresville, Lockhart and Temple.

I spoke with Brack Jackson, who officiated with Dr. Byrd on Friday at Cole High School. Brack noted that Dr. Byrd had expressed how excited he was and looking forward to his football schedule this year.

I am at a loss for words, and I cannot really say much except for how I appreciated Dr. Byrd for his generosity and sense of humor. He has always been a good friend, always ready to listen (and speak) and lend a hand, and never failed to give a word of encouragement. I will surely miss him.

In honor of all of our deceased football officiating comrades, I’d like to share the following:

“On Friday nights, as we walk onto the gridiron and look up onto the sky, perhaps the stars are really not stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the smiles of our lost comrades pour through and shine down upon us to let us know that they are happy and resting in eternal peace.”

Our heartfelt condolences go out to Dr. Byrd’s family and our prayers for his soul to rest in eternal peace and for his family to gain strength through this.

IrishTex
08-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Prayers from Dallas - Fort Worth..

As a person who has suffered a heart attack, I have had to deal with many issues this past year. I don't mean to keep harping on this...but as I read this story about Dr. Byrd, it gave me a sense of comfort that he no longer is in any pain or any suffering.

My prayers go out to his family, but on the positive side, after reading this story about him and his churches, I bet he's in much better shape this week than last week.

A time to celebrate his life seems in order.

Bless you...and thanks Mike for posting this story. I got a lot out of this...thank you.

zebrablue2
08-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Prayers sent!!!

BwdLion_80
08-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Prayers from the Pecan Valley Chapter.