PDA

View Full Version : Burnet @ Brownwood

Trashman
08-29-2009, 11:11 AM
BROWNWOOD — Bob Shipley enjoyed a successful, if somewhat nerve-wracking, debut as head coach of the Brownwood Lions.

Graylon Brown ran for one score and passed for another, while sophomore Stehl Ratliff scored the deciding touchdown with 1:07 left Friday as the Lions opened the season with a tense 27-24 victory over Burnet at Gordon Wood Stadium.

Shipley, who took over the Lions last spring after two seasons at Coppell, previously coached at Burnet. His Brownwood staff includes four assistants who were with him at Burnet, while the Bulldogs staff has six coaches Shipley hired, including his replacement as head coach Doyle Walker.

When Shipley took the Brownwood job, the Bulldogs were already on the schedule.

“I knew they were and that’s something that’s a tough thing,” he said. “I graduated from there, my folks live there, my brother and his family live there, my sister and her family live there. I’ve got a nephew in their program in the junior high.

“It’s a real special place but tonight I’m a Brownwood Lion and that’s where my loyalty is. I’m paid to win football games. It doesn’t matter if my mother’s coaching the team, we’re going to play to win.”

The Lions did just that, coming from behind twice to overcome the 292-yard, three-touchdown passing performance of Burnet quarterback Dillon Chafin.

Brown, who rushed for 56 yards on 16 carries and was 21-or-33 passing for 223 yards, engineered the winning drive after Burnet took a 24-19 lead with 2:14 remaining.

“At first we were sluggish and I was kind of scared as the starter,” said Brown, a junior making his first varsity start. “In practice, coach (Shipley) kept talking about conditioning. When we got to the fourth quarter, we weren’t tired. We just beat the defense.

“We were just thinking that we had to be dominant. If we got a good push off the ball, we could get across against them.”

Ratliff, who had 92 yards combined rushing and receiving, went 25 yards with a shovel pass to the Burnet 13 and scored on the next play. Brownwood was able to withstand Burnet’s last effort with Chafin’s final pass falling incomplete.

Chafin finished 23-of-31 passing. He had touchdowns of 22 yards to Brandon Jacque, 51 yards to Josh Barrera and 15 yards to Jathan Craig. Each gave Burnet the lead.

“Burnet’s going to makebig plays,” Shipley said. “They’re a big-play team. The key is not if that happens, but when it does happen how we’re going to respond to it. I felt like the kids responded well and made the big plays when we had to.

“I saw exactly what I hoped for. (The Brownwood players) have heart and the competitive spirit to stay in the game when they’re tired. The defense looked really good at time and the offense looked really good at times, but the opposite was also true. I’m thankful both sides came up with the big plays to help us get the win.”

Brownwood’s Dillon Ellis kicked field goals of 27 and 32 yards in addition to catching six passes for 107 yards. His 66-yard catch and run set up Brown’s 5-yard TD in the second quarter. Cade Johnson scored on a 16-yard pass in the third quarter and Ellis’ second field goal gave the Lions a 19-18 lead.

Burnet 0 18 0 6—24

Brownwood 3 6 10 8—27

First Quarter

BRO—Dillon Ellis 27 FG, 3:24.

Second Quarter

BUR—Brandon Jacque 22 pass from Dillon Chafin (Tyler Clark kick), 8:19.

BRO—Graylon Brown 5 run (run failed), 6:17

BUR—Josh Barrera 51 pass from Chafin (Spencer Thurman pass from Nick Jung), 5:10

BUR—Clark 39 FG, 0:17

Third Quarter

BRO—Cade Johnson 16 pass from Brown (Ellis kick), 7:05

BRO—Ellis 32 FG, 5:04

Fourth Quarter

BUR—Jathan Craig 15 pass from Chafin (pass failed), 2:14

BRO—Stehl Ratliff 13 run (Luke Chastain pass from Brown), 1:07

Bur Bro

First downs 18 19

Rushes-yards 25-30 34-127

Passing 292 223

Total yards 332 350

Comp-Att-Int 23-31-0 21-33-0

Punts-Avg. 5-33.4 3-34.3

Fumbles-Lost 4-1 4-1

Penalties-Yards 7-64 6-40

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING—Burnet, Stephen Young 5-35, Quade Stubblefield 2-4, Zach Maldonado 3-(minus 1), Jathan Craig 6-(minus 3), Dillon Chafin 9-(minus 5). Brownwood, Graylon Brown16-56, Stehl Ratliff 7-50, Levi Perez 6-19, Cade Johnson 2-9, Vance McShan 2-3. Team 1-(minus 10).

PASSING—Burnet, Dillon Chafin 23-31-0—292. Brownwood, Graylon Brown 21-33-0—223.

RECEIVING—Burnet, Josh Barrera 7-120, Brandon Jacque 5-72, Jathan Craig 5-61, Stephen Young 3-35, Spencer Thurman 2-3, Aaron Thomas 1-1. Brownwood, Dillon Ellis 6-107, Levi Perez 5-28, Cade Johnson 4-29, Stehl Ratliff 3-42, Vance McShan 2-10, Luke Chastain 1-7.

Sweetwater Red
08-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Trashman

“It’s a real special place but tonight I’m a Brownwood Lion and that’s where my loyalty is. I’m paid to win football games. It doesn’t matter if my mother’s coaching the team, we’re going to play to win.”

Hahaha! I love it!:D

Congrats Brownwood.

Trashman
08-30-2009, 02:20 PM
ttt:rolleyes: