PDA

View Full Version : La Grange vs Yoakum Week 1

Pudlugger
08-29-2009, 09:03 AM
The Leps come off a strong performance against a good 4A team to meet the talented and scrappy Yoakum Bulldogs for their first home game of the year. The Leps played a very error free game with only one turnover(a fumbled punt reception) and a four penalties. This is a good sign for the Leps as they demonstrate poise and discipline early on. The Lep running game was effective as well. The Lep D had several good stops including a goal line stand early in the 1st quarter that swung the momentum their way and a game breaking interception late in the fourth to stop a strong Lion comeback effort. I think the Leps will get better each week and expect them to take it to the Bulldogs next Friday. Leps will win this one.

rancher
08-29-2009, 10:42 AM
L.G. will win this one big. If Yoakum cannot stop Columbus from putting up big numbers, L.G. will fly over them with their passing attack.

Bull's-eye
08-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by rancher
L.G. will win this one big. If Yoakum cannot stop Columbus from putting up big numbers, L.G. will fly over them with their passing attack.

:iagree: Leps by 14 or more.

IHStangFan
08-29-2009, 01:42 PM
I wish both teams well.

With that said....gimme the Leps by 14.

fourbeee
08-29-2009, 11:14 PM
No one on this board will give Yoakum a chance of winning this game, but this game might be a lot closer than anyone might want to believe. Yoakum has a big offensive line and solid running game and they will move the ball on LG. I don't think anyone will shutdown the LG passing attack, but they will play teams that will keep up with them, ie Giddings, Bellville,etc. and who knows, maybe even Yoakum? The Dogs will get better each week. Also, Columbus has a lot better football team than what most people think. They have enough team speed to win more games than they lose this year. Good luck to the Dogs!

TRENCHES06
08-29-2009, 11:48 PM
Yoakum IS good and their running back is a beast

Pudlugger
08-30-2009, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by four
No one on this board will give Yoakum a chance of winning this game, but this game might be a lot closer than anyone might want to believe. Yoakum has a big offensive line and solid running game and they will move the ball on LG. I don't think anyone will shutdown the LG passing attack, but they will play teams that will keep up with them, ie Giddings, Bellville,etc. and who knows, maybe even Yoakum? The Dogs will get better each week. Also, Columbus has a lot better football team than what most people think. They have enough team speed to win more games than they lose this year. Good luck to the Dogs!

I definitely give Yoakum a chance to win this game. Every time the Leps play the Bulldogs they are in a dog fight(pun intended). Yoakum always comes to play and they always play well in La Grange. Right now the Leps are in a groove and are building on something really good. A let down now would make it all the more difficult for the team going forward. If they continue to play with intensity, limit turnovers and penalties and stay focused and composed under stress(like they did in the fourth quarter last Friday when the Lions had the momentum and seemed on the brink of a huge comeback) they will be very hard to beat.

Yoakum is another class act down there below I-10. Great sportsmanship and friendly fans. I'm really looking forward to a good clean game Friday.

29-3aFAN
08-31-2009, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by TRENCHES06
Yoakum IS good and their running back is a beast

He is a beast. He needs to be gang tackled or he will run thru you, then outrun you. Dudes legs are huge.

29-3aFAN
08-31-2009, 01:06 AM
COLUMBUS - The Cardinals ruined Yoakum's opening night by beating the Bulldogs 36-29 in a game that saw four lead changes.

Yoakum led 14-7 in the first half on a 7-yard run by William Markert and a 21-yard score by Trey Hights, his first of three for the night.

Columbus' Christopher Whitehead made the first of his three rushing touchdowns with a 63-yard run in the first quarter. Whitehead scored again midway through the second from 32 yards out. Quarterback Cordrie Carter scored late in the first half on a 3-yard run, giving the Cardinals a 21-14 lead at halftime.

Yoakum took back the lead in the third quarter when Hights took off for a 54-yard scoring run. Markert then punched it in for the 2-point conversion, lifting the Bulldogs to a 22-21 lead at the end of the third.

Columbus (1-0) grabbed the lead again on a 53-yard run by Whitehead. Jordan Benford gave his team a two-point conversion and a 29-22 lead.

A few minutes later, Yoakum came back when Hights scored by running the ball in from 21 yards out. Markert's kick tied the game up 29-29.

However, the tie lasted less than a minute, as Carter scored on a 50-yard run.

With four touchdowns coming on runs of 50 yards or more, both teams' backfields had big numbers. In fact, the average touchdown run for the night was for almost 34 yards.

Hights led the Bulldog offense, rushing 17 times for 166 yards.

The Cardinals' Whitehead had the biggest night, going 193 yards on only 11 carries, an average of more than 17 yards per carry. Carter also had a big night with 19 rushes for 114 yards.

Pudlugger
08-31-2009, 09:18 AM
Looks like the Bulldogs can run the football. Hope those Leps work on tackling this week LOL. The Lep D is much improved this year. The D line is solid and we have very hard hitting LBs. Last Friday our safety sucked up Hardaway(All State rb from Lockhart 4.4) on his longest run from 5 yards behind so the Leps have the speed.

underware
08-31-2009, 09:36 AM
I went Friday night and Yoakum didn't play a bad game, there just doesn't seem to be any speed? I think they'll get better every week as well but they got to figure out how to stop the big runs. LG by 14.

Pudlugger
08-31-2009, 05:02 PM
This should be an interesting game. The Leps had 310 yards passing and 140 yards rushing last week. Their running game seems much improved from last season. Their starting rb was out for this game yet with depth at that position the Leps put up some yards. This game will not be won on the ground however. The Bulldogs will not be able to stack the box to defend the run and cover the Leopard WRs who can burn you in 4 seconds for a td. The Lep D is very fast this year and the front 4 are big agile and aggressive. I like our odds going into this game. The big question is can the Leps maintain focus and bear down for the win coming off of a win in game 1?

Old Green
08-31-2009, 05:39 PM
This game is starting to sound more interesting. I may make it instead of Rio Hondo game.

Pudlugger
08-31-2009, 05:56 PM
Old Green come watch the Leps! Sit on the home side and wear a Cuero hat. I'll look for you at the half.

fanofthegame
08-31-2009, 06:46 PM
i'll be making this one, went to the giddings/l.h. game last week. wow, your district is going to be tough again. i will need to see a bellville game to put everything in place but giddings does look tough. passing and running and a pretty good defense. good luck to you this week.

11as1
08-31-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm picking the leps in this one the bulldogs are always a good team but I gotta go with lg. And like it was said earlier the district is going to be tough and the more i start to know the more interested i get as of now gotta go with the buffs to win the D25 title but the second and third spot are unsure as they will be fought for by bellville, la grange and sealy. THE SEASON IS ALREADY SHAPING UP TO BE A GREAT ONE!!!

bd62
09-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Before the game i thought Yoakum would struggle on offense and play pretty good defense but it was the other way around. Columbus switched to the spread this year and that fits their personell really good with their speed.
Lagrange is a very good football team and will be a handfull for Yoakum. I look for Lagrange to win but playing these caliber of teams will help Yoakum down the line as they get use to the new coach's system.

44INAROW
09-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by bd62
Before the game i thought Yoakum would struggle on offense and play pretty good defense but it was the other way around. Columbus switched to the spread this year and that fits their personell really good with their speed.
Lagrange is a very good football team and will be a handfull for Yoakum. I look for Lagrange to win but playing these caliber of teams will help Yoakum down the line as they get use to the new coach's system.

Good Luck to the Bulldogs BD :)

29-3aFAN
09-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Go DAWGZ!

fourbeee
09-03-2009, 08:52 AM
I expect the bullgogs to put at least 21-28 points on the board, but they are still missing some important players on defense. This could be a lot closer game than most expect. La Grange air attack will be dangerous for anyone they play this year. I think the key would be a ball control, grind it out, time burning, power running attack. Their coach sure has them prepared well for this kind of game if he so chooses to do so. This bulldog team is a very seasoned group of kids who have seen a lot of tuff times since the seniors were sophs and have been able to overcome it. Even last year when they got behind La Grange by 40 points they kept on fighting. I don't see any quit in this team. Good luck Dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fourbeee
09-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Where is a good place to eat and where is the stadium?

Pudlugger
09-03-2009, 09:51 AM
A good place to eat would be The Oakridge Restaurant just North of I-10 at the Schulenberg exit (Hwy 77). They have a huge buffet all you can eat. To get to the stadium just continue North on 77 14 miles down the bluff across the river and take the first right at Eblin. The school and stadium are about 1/2 mile on the right. Visitors side on the East side with parking there.

As for the Bulldogs, I think they will give the Leps all they can handle. Both teams are on a learning curve. The Leps need to stop the running game. They also need to get their rushing game out of the stables, both of which I think they can do. Good luck to both teams. Go Leps!

Pudlugger
09-03-2009, 10:34 AM
If you are coming from Austin take the Jefferson exit (HWY 77) and pull into the Taco Shack just south on the left. Great tacos and cheap. Take HWY 77 Jefferson to Eblin (about 2 miles South) and turn left. The stadium is about half a mile down Eblin on the right.

underware
09-03-2009, 01:01 PM
I won't make it to the ballgame tomorrow. Hope the bulldogs can pull this one out.

29-3aFAN
09-03-2009, 06:22 PM
I will miss it too. Hopefully someone can update us or text me scores?

Pudlugger
09-03-2009, 08:58 PM
It's Thunder, Lightening and Rain here in La Grange. Were the JV & Frosh games called?

Boomer
09-03-2009, 09:15 PM
DID YOU SAY RAIN??!!

hookandladder
09-04-2009, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
It's Thunder, Lightening and Rain here in La Grange. Were the JV & Frosh games called?

Dry and hot in Yoakum last night, Freshmen ended up in a tie. Do not know what the JV outcome was yet, will post when I find out. Freshmen were without some players because of the flu, some playing were not 100% healthy either maybe the reason why we did not play very well.

Boomer
09-04-2009, 06:23 AM
I think this will be a close game. LG better hope Yoakum doesn't eat up the clock. I know Markert can bomb a field goal from about 45 yds. I see yoakum winning by a FG.

TRENCHES06
09-04-2009, 09:38 AM
This game will be a battle

29-3aFAN
09-04-2009, 10:01 AM
I think it was last year he had like 3 or 4 in a gm. Long was like 54 yards. Crazy, but good to have in your pocket.

hookandladder
09-04-2009, 01:52 PM
38-17 La Grange. With a kicker like they have, I have to give them 1 FG.

Pudlugger
09-04-2009, 02:57 PM
:clap: :iagree:

29-3aFAN
09-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Any updates on this one?