PDA

View Full Version : Boatwright had a heart defect

Matthew328
10-17-2003, 06:04 PM
Just saw on dallasnews.com that Everman senior TE/DE Craig Boatwright had a heart defect....cause of death hasn't been officially determined as of yet..

Pudlugger
10-17-2003, 06:35 PM
Very sad to lose a young man suddenly to something like that. My prayers go out for his family,friends and teammates. It might have been subaortic stenosis, a silent defect of a thickened septum between the two ventricles of the heart that can cause sudden death and often found in athletes. UT screens all players with sonocardiograms done by Austin Heart for free. If a player is found with the condition he cannot play but keeps his athletic scholarship for all four years. This year Austin Heart did screenings for Austin area high school players free of charge. Many kids from La Grange went including my son. So sorry to hear this. Hopefully such a screening program can be instituted statewide.

HornetMom
10-18-2003, 10:32 AM
Pudlugger:
Very sad to lose a young man suddenly to something like that. My prayers go out for his family,friends and teammates. It might have been subaortic stenosis, a silent defect of a thickened septum between the two ventricles of the heart that can cause sudden death and often found in athletes. UT screens all players with sonocardiograms done by Austin Heart for free. If a player is found with the condition he cannot play but keeps his athletic scholarship for all four years. This year Austin Heart did screenings for Austin area high school players free of charge. Many kids from La Grange went including my son. So sorry to hear this. Hopefully such a screening program can be instituted statewide.Wow, what a great program. It would be great if it could be implemented statewide.
My heart goes out to the Craig's family, friends, and the community.