HEMOTOXIC
08-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Navasota 47
Henderson 0, Almost Over

HEMOTOXIC
08-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Navasota 47
Henderson 0, Final

I wasn't able to make this game. Please fill me in.

Way to go Snakes! :clap:

OldBison75
08-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Navasota entered this game with a big bunch of shoes to fill after losing Pratt, Stokes, Lamascus, Jackson, Castillo, and Spriggs who had all been All State in thier careers.

My observations on this game were that the offense was consistent for the most part even though there were numerous times when the offensive line was a mix of starters and back-ups. Calhoun did not even play in the first quarter and really played very little offense in the game. Kesnik Jones, the heir apparent to Pratt was used on offense very little, but a host of other backs got carries and did well. Hildreth proved that he is a very capable QB with accurate passing and very smart faking and play execution. He has a great passing touch and if there is a weakness, it is that he sometime floats the ball on the out patterns. He is going to be a running and passing threat and is faster than Stokes in the open field.

Defensively, the Rattlers have had tackling problems at times in thelast few years. That ws NOT an issue in this game. The lineman, linebackers, and defensive backs were very physical and when contact was made, the runner did not make many second effort yards. I think the total yards for Henderson was less than 150. Navasota has speed, size, and three very strong linebackers on defense that will cause problems for most offenses.

Navasota played every player on the team during the game and I think there were only a few times on offense or defense that the projected starters played together. I saw very little let down between the top players and the back-ups. They are well coached and appeared eager to prove that they are as good or better than last years highly touted group. I watched a play where the QB ran a draw and the offside of the offensive line was 15 yards downfield and made two pancake blocks. That is the type effort that makes me a believer that this team could be very good.

There is still some sharpening to be done for sure, but with a sometimes sloppy execution on offense the Rattlers still put up 47 points on a larger 4A team. ON DEFENSE, ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW!!!!

Palestine gets the Rattlers at Palestine next week and if the Rattlers play this well again, people better get ready for an exciting season.

Bull's-eye
08-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Good post '75! Looks like the Rattlers won't fly under the radar too much longer. ;)

Electus Unus
08-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Is Henderson awful this year or Navasota that good?

Bull's-eye
08-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Electus Unus

I'm thinking Navasota is very good, but we will have to see a few more games to answer your question.

OldBison75
08-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Henderson has the size and speed to be a threat to any team since they run the spread. However, they were playing without one of thier top athletes that is a pretty good QB and runner/receiver against Navasota. The QB's that played had a rough night under pressure and the receivers dropped a few passes that should have been caught. I would rank Henderson an average 4A team that if they stayed healthy and got hot could compete for the playoffs.

Navasota is much better than I expected the first game to be and I hope that this is just the start. If they continue to gel and improve each week, they will be really good. I think that the potiential is there for the Rattlers to be a deep playoff team if they can make it through the schedule that includes Bellville in pre-district and Rockdale, Caldwell, Cameron, Taylor, and Madisonville in district. They have to improve each week and not have any let downs to prove themselves over the long haul. This was a great start, but the next few weeks will answer if they are for real.

zebrablue2
08-28-2009, 11:42 AM

Henderson returned 6-6 starters from a 1-9 team in 08 and are picked to finish last(6th) in their district. They are not really good at all, but the Rattlers are a very sound team, and will do well in 09.

HEMOTOXIC
08-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Predictions are just that, predictions. I believe that I read where Henderson was predicted to finish 4th or 5th in a 6 team district. Any event, when you return 6/6 from a team that almost beat you the year before, you expect a better game. Yes, the Lions were without their starting quarterback, but, the true question is, could the Lions' defense stop Navasota's offense.? No. I really don't put too much emphasis on the first game (2008 Navasota 35 Henderson 34). A game that everyone felt that Navasota should have won pretty easily. My take: it was a good way to start the season. As I stated earlier in the year, Navasota will be good if not better than last season's team. Thee 2008 team was expected to win. This years team is in a "down" year as some have said. I can say that the defense looked really well agaisnt CE King as they held them scoreless...Held Mexia to one score...and, held Henderson scoreless.

Good Job Boys!

HEMOTOXIC
08-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Predictions are just that, predictions. I believe that I read where Henderson was predicted to finish 4th or 5th. Any event, when you return 6/6 from a team that almost beat you the year before, you expect a better game. Yes, the Lions were without their starting quarterback, but, the true question is, could the Lions' defense stop Navasota's offense.? No. I really don't put too much emphasis on the first game (2008 Navasota 35 Henderson 34). A game that everyone felt that Navasota should have won pretty easily. My take: it was a good way to start the season. As I stated earlier in the year, Navasota will be good if not better than last season's team. Thee 2008 team was expected to win. This years team is in a "down" year as some have said. I can say that the defense looked really well agaisnt CE King as they held them scoreless...Held Mexia to one score...and, held Henderson scoreless.

Good Job Boys!

waterboy
08-28-2009, 02:14 PM
I think it's a combination of both, but more of a Navasota being good thing. Poor Henderson has to play Carthage next week...........:doh:

Pball
08-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
I think it's a combination of both, but more of a Navasota being good thing. Poor Henderson has to play Carthage next week...........:doh:

I agree, Navasota is good and Hederson does have to play Carthage. Not sure what is going on in Hederson but in past years they have always been competitive. Also, Palestine is a much better team then they were last year. Maybe they can keep the score close.